Any thoughts on these colleges?

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

ive worked all over the US west in energy, never once have I ran into a U Dub engineer 

From my experience,  most Udub engineers end up in the manufacturing/aerospace/software world. PNW companies in those industries recruit them hard.

^
This.  It's an incredibly good engineering school, but they just don't gravitate towards energy.  Like in the Midwest...every company or project of note in transportation, logistics, building, and manufacturing has to have a Purdue engineer as a matter of course.  It's an unofficial box to check to get funding.  But you can work your whole life in energy and never meet a Purdue engineer, unless maybe you spend a buncha time in the Bakken.  The Cockrell School at UT is unique in that we put out top flight graduates in almost every engineering vertical.  Obviously every engineering department has its standout programs and its so-so ones.  The good news is y'all are discussing schools that have more of the former than the latter. 

Be glad.  You could be stuck trying to justify to yourself, "I'm sure the OU Gallogly College of Engineering's recent recognition as 'adequate' and 'graduates are eligible to be legally certified to be engineers' are the highest accolades possible."  

• 3 months later...

Well, it started here, might as well wrap it up here. My daughter gets on a plane in a few hours to fly home from Montreal for the last time. A VERY bittersweet day. She loved her time there. And, like all students her age, it was challenging with the COVID interruption. But she loved the city, had a great university experience, and made it her home. She made great friends (her two best friends are from neighboring French villages outside of Bordeaux, didn’t know each other till they met at college).
She’ll spend some time here, then she’s going back out of the country; she’ll fly to Bordeaux to visit her friends for a couple of weeks, then hop up to Lund, Sweden, for a semester abroad (and she’s working on figuring out how to stay for another 4-6 months to finish studying the language, as her goal is reasonable fluency in a Norse language). She’s applying for a very competitive Fulbright program in Norway after that (odds are low, but she’s undeterred).
Technically, she’ll graduate in December, but today is her last day of her life in the plateau, in a city she’s come to love. I’m sure there will be lots of tears today, passages are emotional. But it’s been a good ride. Now, on to the next thing.
And….speaking of the next thing…after his gap year in Berlin, the boy made it official this past week, as we submitted final paperwork, paid the housing deposit, and got his CAS number so he can start the visa application: he’ll start at the University of Glasgow this fall, majoring in International Relations. He’s really excited about it. So, come September, we won’t even have a kid on this continent. Such is life.
Later, I’ll regale you with the (still sparse on details) story of the Alsatian French girl from Strasbourg who he met in Berlin while she was studying dance, and he fell for HARD. She invited him to spend a weekend with her in Strasbourg, and he took her up on it, and she’s still stuck in his brain. As for his old man, I never had the opportunity to fall for an Alsatian dancer, so I can’t relate.
Gonna be a bittersweet summer of transitions at casa Brisket.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, it started here, might as well wrap it up here. My daughter gets on a plane in a few hours to fly home from Montreal for the last time. A VERY bittersweet day. She loved her time there. And, like all students her age, it was challenging with the COVID interruption. But she loved the city, had a great university experience, and made it her home. She made great friends (her two best friends are from neighboring French villages outside of Bordeaux, didn’t know each other till they met at college).
She’ll spend some time here, then she’s going back out of the country; she’ll fly to Bordeaux to visit her friends for a couple of weeks, then hop up to Lund, Sweden, for a semester abroad (and she’s working on figuring out how to stay for another 4-6 months to finish studying the language, as her goal is reasonable fluency in a Norse language). She’s applying for a very competitive Fulbright program in Norway after that (odds are low, but she’s undeterred).
Technically, she’ll graduate in December, but today is her last day of her life in the plateau, in a city she’s come to love. I’m sure there will be lots of tears today, passages are emotional. But it’s been a good ride. Now, on to the next thing.
And….speaking of the next thing…after his gap year in Berlin, the boy made it official this past week, as we submitted final paperwork, paid the housing deposit, and got his CAS number so he can start the visa application: he’ll start at the University of Glasgow this fall, majoring in International Relations. He’s really excited about it. So, come September, we won’t even have a kid on this continent. Such is life.
Later, I’ll regale you with the (still sparse on details) story of the Alsatian French girl from Strasbourg who he met in Berlin while she was studying dance, and he fell for HARD. She invited him to spend a weekend with her in Strasbourg, and he took her up on it, and she’s still stuck in his brain. As for his old man, I never had the opportunity to fall for an Alsatian dancer, so I can’t relate.

Reminds me so much of my formative years. 

Oh wait, I graduated a high school where we played Sega Dreamcast in Spanish class and didn't know how in the hell I was going to pay $2,500 for the first semester's tuition at UT.

"Your tuition bill due is $2,479. Goodbye and Good luck."

23 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I don’t know about you, Brisket, but few things would make me prouder than my son banging an Alsatian French dancer overseas.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

As is the case at my house, your wife must be smart AF.

Congratulations on seeing these great things happen for your kids!!!( even the dancer too- it's all part of that adventure)

On 7/3/2022 at 10:21 AM, Brisketexan said:

Jesus, time flies. Congrats to both your kids, and to you and the wife.  

On 4/1/2022 at 12:48 PM, Guest Lobo said:

Like in the Midwest...every company or project of note in transportation, logistics, building, and manufacturing has to have a Purdue engineer as a matter of course.  It's an unofficial box to check to get funding.  But you can work your whole life in energy and never meet a Purdue engineer,

I started alongside 1.  He quit after about 1 or 2 years in.