The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I've had a chance to pick on a few of those G&L ASATs in shops. They are quality but I personally can't get over the glossy clear lacquered fretboard. They feel sticky to me, terrible for bends, greasy skin, I guess. I don't like it on the Fenders, either, but it doesn't seem as bad and there seem to be more options. I would have to get a rosewood/ebony board or a maple with a light satin finish.

I was almost ready to buy an ASAT, but I prefer the overall feel I get from the Mexico Teles I've tried. Some of it may be set up that can be easily fixed.

The lack of gloss on the Squier Bullet makes for a nice feel.

36 minutes ago, DougO said:

I've had a chance to pick on a few of those G&L ASATs in shops. They are quality but I personally can't get over the glossy clear lacquered fretboard. 

The fretboard on mine is rosewood.  The back is glossy maple, which in theory I hate, but it's slick as hell.

58 minutes ago, Deej said:

A little work with a Scotch Brite pad will take that gloss off nicely.

Not interested.  Neck is perfect.  It is as far from a Les Paul neck as I could imagine, and other than not being painted, it's essentially the same (except it's not like playing in the La Brea tar pits).

8 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

The Doheny has my eye for the moment....anybody handled one?

Serial #CLF1710064! I was in the market for a JM style guitar or offset for a long time and then I saw G&L was finally getting around to this. I ended up getting one built to specs after realizing there was no difference in price between the one I started ordering from a vendor and the "Grandioso Players' Model." I just went through the dealer and the wait was only a month. Free shipping.

I love it. Modern Classic neck. The body, it all feels good man. Took a little getting used to, but I was going to have that experience with anything not shaped like a Tele.

The pickups are funnest in full JM mode running jangly and bright but it does plenty of sounds, and does them well IMO. I actually use the tone knobs on this guitar for shaping tone. That was my biggest concern: is this guitar just something I'm going to pick up only when I want "this one, specific sound?"

Edited by Grandioso
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2018 at 8:30 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Not interested.  Neck is perfect.  It is as far from a Les Paul neck as I could imagine, and other than not being painted, it's essentially the same (except it's not like playing in the La Brea tar pits).

Jimmy, you know Rich Brotherton, right?   Do you know if he's touring with REK right now?  I was thinking of going to see them when they come through VA in June, but only if he's in the tour band. 

As far as I know he is.  I don't hardly ever talk with him, as I don't live in his neighborhood any more and I'm pretty much out of the studio game (meaning "hey can I borrow your ___").

Near as I can tell, based on a FB post, he played with REK on April 12 in Minneapolis.

Went to hang out with Sister Rosetta Tharpe. Had YouTube been around when she came along I wouldn't be the only one at this cemetery.

20180423_150746.jpg?dl=0

Looking at the pic now I notice I should plan my shirts for the occasion better. SRT played almost exclusively Gibson.  But I have a history of this...

20180330_120827.jpg?dl=0

20180423_190015.jpg?dl=0

But I get it right some of the time.

20180219_143743.jpg?dl=0

I also need to change up my travel gear from time to time...

Edited by BoomMF
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I thought the Vagicaster had died a terrible death. Glad to see it’s still kicking around.

It's got some scars, but I've come to terms with it. It's a flawed misfit like me. It actually plays decently. I like the frets on it and action is pretty good. It started growing on me again.

Musiciansfriend stupid deal had taunted me for the last time with the Gibson 2016 faded cherry SG, so I pulled the trigger and it's on the way. And I smell of elderberries.

The long quest for the USA made Gibson SG holy grail (for the poors) may be nearing conclusion.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, DougO said:

Musiciansfriend stupid deal had taunted me for the last time with the Gibson 2016 faded cherry SG, so I pulled the trigger and it's on the way. And I smell of elderberries.

The long quest for the USA made Gibson SG holy grail (for the poors) may be nearing conclusion.

Yiiiissss!

19 minutes ago, Deej said:

Hot damn!!! Way to give in to temptation, DougO. This thread would be nothing without our lack of willpower. Good job!

That was the third time they threw that deal under my nose, like tossing a chartreuse spinnerbait behind a log where a big ol' fat bass had to be chillin'. I passed the first two times but couldn't resist the third cast.

I figured it's the only way I'm going to get another American made guitar for that price in the foreseeable future, so I might was well. Even used ones are hard to find. The Epiphone SG 400 I have is a good little guitar for the money, but I really wanted the real deal in the collection, even if it is their cheapest model.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DougO said:

That was the third time they threw that deal under my nose, like tossing a chartreuse spinnerbait behind a log where a big ol' fat bass had to be chillin'. I passed the first two times but couldn't resist the third cast.

Some guy at MF was sitting at his computer, watching every time you clicked on it, thinking, "We're gonna get this guy."

Good job DougO. This threads been lacking in the NGD's lately. Way to take one for the team!

And congratulations on the SG. I hope it's everything your dreaming it will be. Looking forward to the pics.
Some guy at MF was sitting at his computer, watching every time you clicked on it, thinking, "We're gonna get this guy."
That's a pretty funny visual deej. I can see him sitting there now..

1 hour ago, DougO said:

I figured it's the only way I'm going to get another American made guitar for that price in the foreseeable future, so I might was well. Even used ones are hard to find. The Epiphone SG 400 I have is a good little guitar for the money, but I really wanted the real deal in the collection, even if it is their cheapest model.

Nice work!!! You made the right choice!

2 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Good job DougO. This threads been lacking in the NGD's lately. Way to take one for the team!

And congratulations on the SG. I hope it's everything your dreaming it will be. Looking forward to the pics.That's a pretty funny visual deej. I can see him sitting there now..

I'm already paranoid enough about being a conduit for summoning dark forces and such that I'm convinced it's a real thing. The entire IRS processing system crashed for half a day only minutes after I submitted my e-file the other night. I just knew my return was the one that had broken it.

Black cloud following me...

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Y'all have really been slacking.  Thank God DougO stepped up and took one for the team.  Yeesh.

I agree! you should buy a new one :) 

i have my dads old 70s Gibson bass ill post a picture of later after work.  are basses welcome here?

On 4/24/2018 at 12:10 AM, DougO said:

The cheapass pickups on the Vag sound like dookie, so I've been thinking about swapping them and repairing the bridge block. So I have pondered whether a black or darker colored pickguard might look better.

vagblack.jpg

vagcaster.jpg

Did you build and paint this?

30 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Did you build and paint this?

I just painted (inked) the design on top of a cheapo pawn shop Squier. Everything else is how I got it for $50. The clear finish I put over it ended up being kind of a mess and stuck to some material and left impressions and flaws.

Oh yeah, I also replaced the crappy trapezoid tuning machines with some vintage style tuners.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, DougO said:

I just painted (inked) the design on top of a cheapo pawn shop Squier. Everything else is how I got it for $50. The clear finish I put over it ended up being kind of a mess and stuck to some material and left impressions and flaws.

Oh yeah, I also replaced the crappy trapezoid tuning machines with some vintage style tuners.

Looks great! It’s got a cool Hendrix vibe to it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Looks great! It’s got a cool Hendrix vibe to it. 

Thanks! I'm not sure where it came from, but 60s sort of Hendrixy vibe is about as close to what I was going for as anything, probably. I just wanted to come up with something deisgny that didn't look like it was stolen from somebody else's design, and the blue vagflower emerged from the deep recesses of my warped psyche.

19 minutes ago, DougO said:

Thanks! I'm not sure where it came from, but 60s sort of Hendrixy vibe is about as close to what I was going for as anything, probably. I just wanted to come up with something deisgny that didn't look like it was stolen from somebody else's design, and the blue vagflower emerged from the deep recesses of my warped psyche.

I’m looking to add a Hendrix strat to my collection 

Bogey, that’s a mid-late 60’s short scale EB O, little sister to the long-scale twin-pickup EB 3 made popular by Jack Bruce, among others. I’d guess late 60’s by the tailpiece. That “Mudbucker” pickup is dirty and growling. Solid mahogany body. I had a long-scale walnut ‘72-‘73 in that same cherry finish back in the day that was given to me. It was stolen. I’d kill to still have it. Super cool old bass. 

• Like 1