The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I'm a big fan of Warmoth for the body and (especially) the neck.  After that, it's a smorgasbord of options for everything else.  I'm a fan of Sigler Music because they offer pre-loaded pickguards of almost every imaginable configuration, which means maybe one solder joint left to make (output jack).  Warmoth, Allparts, etc. all sell tons of tuners, bridges, tremolos, pickups, knobs, whatever.  If anyone needs help walking through the process I'll be happy to oblige.

My last neck I bought from Guitar Mill. It took forever (it was a custom order), but plays like a dream.

I'm pissed they don't make a Baja's 50s anymore. Actually, no, I have one. Maybe it will increase in value. Looks like they killed the Road Worn series. Shame. Great guitars.

(Calling Sweetwater in the morning about a 7 lb. Road Worn Tele.)

Edited by Deej

The fretboard finish on my 2000 American Standard Strat bubbled and flaked something awful over the years around the frets and over the fret markers.  It used to piss me off, but I recently just scraped off the shit that had detached and it actually looks kind of cool and relic-y, so now I'm kind of happy about it.   /csb. 

I agree there are too many options by guitar makers these days. I’d say just get the am std (think it’s called am professional now) and experiment and tweak to your taste.

Honestly that’s part of why I was leaning towards the Silver Sky there for a bit. The only option is color, and if it sounds like a great Strat and plays like my PRS then that’s very appealing (I get that they are polarizing but I’ve always like outliers).

14 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

For sure part of the problem is that I don't know what I want. I've played since I was fifteen and can't tell you the difference between a 50s/60s/70s C/V/U neck shape, or what to expect from the umpteen different pickup options out there. I just play things and if I like them I like them. The analysis paralysis of picking the "right" Strat is real

I"m like that with acoustics. I'm in the market for an auditorium style acoustic, something less bassy and loud than a dreadnought, and two trips to Guitar Center and Strait Music basically showed me that I like acoustic guitars and that's as specific as I can get. My wife has a circa 2007/8 Ibanez that I like, so I'll probably just end up buying one exactly like it off Reverb/etc.

This is exactly the reasoning that leads me to build my own guitars from aftermarket parts.  I have zero doubt I can hit Custom Shop quality at well less than half the price, and that includes a luthier (which I am not) to set the damn thing up.  If you're looking for your dream tool, and have no interest in resale, there is no good financial or aesthetic reason to buy from Fender.

So what you’re saying is that you don’t grow the tree for the wood when you “build” your own guitar?

BTW, I had the most unfulfilling trip to GC yesterday ever. I’ve been so busy I have gotten away from my guitars lately and now shopping again.

I’m buying my g/f a car and was meeting her at GC in Lewisville. I walk straight to acoustic room to play some Taylor’s I’m interested in.

In the high-end room, where all the good Taylor’s are, there is a guy not just playing but also singing at full volume. He has the doors open so everyone can enjoy his performance. I grab a cheap guitar to wait him out since I literally couldn’t hear myself play.

After two of his songs, full length, I leave to go look at an interesting turquoise tele with two humbuckers in it. Grab it, plug it into a tweed fender amp, set volume, as I’m about to pick first note i get a text from g/f out in the parking lot telling me she is here and we need to go.

I played a total of two chords on a cheap Yamaha and left. Worst visit evar...

• Like 2

Honestly that’s part of why I was leaning towards the Silver Sky there for a bit. The only option is color, and if it sounds like a great Strat and plays like my PRS then that’s very appealing (I get that they are polarizing but I’ve always like outliers).

Personally I would not buy a prs strat copy. I would buy a strat.

My advice for buying a main guitar is to get the one your guitar hero plays.   That'll get you on the way to the tone you want, plus some inspiration.  So if you love Slash or Jimmy Page, get a Les Paul.  If you're a Clapton or Hendrix guy, get a Strat.  And so on. 

53 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

So what you’re saying is that you don’t grow the tree for the wood when you “build” your own guitar?

BTW, I had the most unfulfilling trip to GC yesterday ever. I’ve been so busy I have gotten away from my guitars lately and now shopping again.

I’m buying my g/f a car and was meeting her at GC in Lewisville. I walk straight to acoustic room to play some Taylor’s I’m interested in.

In the high-end room, where all the good Taylor’s are, there is a guy not just playing but also singing at full volume. He has the doors open so everyone can enjoy his performance. I grab a cheap guitar to wait him out since I literally couldn’t hear myself play.

After two of his songs, full length, I leave to go look at an interesting turquoise tele with two humbuckers in it. Grab it, plug it into a tweed fender amp, set volume, as I’m about to pick first note i get a text from g/f out in the parking lot telling me she is here and we need to go.

I played a total of two chords on a cheap Yamaha and left. Worst visit evar...

..undefeated.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BoomMF said:

Apropos of the previous conversation:

My buddy who's dad is the country music hall of fame said, the difference is one is built by Mexicans in Mexico and the other one is built by Mexicans a few miles from Mexico.  

Edited by Litig8r
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

last time I was at GC Anderson Lane, there was a nearly complete Tejano band in the acoustic room-- two guitars and a bass. And they were quasi-rehearsing, or at least teaching one guy a song. So my relatively pointless search for a new acoustic got even less far than it otherwise would have.

I was in a band once that rehearsed at what was then Uncle Bob's storage on North Lamar. Our next door neighbors were a Tejano band. They were good, at what they did, but they were fucking loud. We referred to them as Johnny Tejano since we didn't know what their actual band name was.

Below us was Terror Cage. That also was the name we gave them. It was facemelting metal type stuff. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

My advice for buying a main guitar is to get the one your guitar hero plays.   That'll get you on the way to the tone you want, plus some inspiration.  So if you love Slash or Jimmy Page, get a Les Paul.  If you're a Clapton or Hendrix guy, get a Strat.  And so on. 

But if you’re a “good Clapton” guy, get a Les Paul.

On 6/27/2019 at 8:47 AM, Mojo Hand said:

Imma a big Chet Atkins guy....therefore....not yet tho.

Girl at Whataburger commented on my Taylor t-shirt. Said her dad was a guitarist. I actually said that I had too many guitars. WTF? I must be getting senile.

You’ll see in a few days that I don’t really believe that. Not really NGD. More like OGD. But in a most excellent fashion. Soon...

• Like 1

Went to Austin Vintage today to check out those Waterloo guitars.  If I was going to get one, it would be the maple backed 12 fret one, but I think I have allayed my little guitar boner a bit.  It's a nice guitar but my OOO15M sounds better and if I wanted another little guitar I'd probably go look at a spruce top Martin like a OOO-18 or OOO-28 (or maybe even a OO or O).  Or get a cheaper one.

You have the 28, right AUTF?

I hadn't been back to Austin Vintage since they moved, which seems crazy to me because I guess they've been there for five years.  It's a nice store, over by the Hancock HEB.  I always feel obligated to work it into the conversation that I own a lot of guitars, and then go ahead and buy some strings and shit when I'm done.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I built out a guitar on Warmoth for fun and it clocked in around $1300. And do I understand correctly that they don’t fully assemble it? Pretty sure I can find a used (and assembled) custom shop for less than $2K.

No, you have to assemble it.  I use a luthier to get it dialed in down to a gnat's ass, costs me about an extra $200.  I don't think I've ever spent $1300 on parts, though.

It's a better guitar than a Fender Custom Shop guitar in most cases.  I also don't recall hearing anything like $2K for one of those, but if you can find it and love it, then that's what matters.  It will hold value better, that's for sure.

We’ve had this conversation before (I’m always glad to have it) and the upshot is:

If you want a guitar that fits all your specs and is a joy forever, go with a parts caster. There is no better bang for the buck.

If you want a guitar that will hold its value, go name brand and pay a little more.

11 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

There’s a few on Reverb but that’s definitely the low end.

Wait, I didn't snap to your qualification of "used" for the Custom Shop alternative.  In that case, you can surely find a ridiculously good assembled partscaster for probably $700.  Pay $100 for a setup and you're good to go.  That's the whole point -- as good or better in the quality department but the value doesn't hold because it doesn't say "Fender".

What about this. :)

9b368b45c08b91024d4821829925b3db.jpg

2 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

Made in Indonesia, run thru neck, Duncans, Indian Laurel board....725 bucks, makes me wonder how they play

ICJ19000594-front-large.jpg.auto.webp

Some guitars just look fast.   That one looks very fast.  You have any more details?  

Edited by hullabelew

I’m on Isla Mujeres this week and tonight we went to Javi’s for dinner.  The guitar player checks in, tunes up and starts singing.  Wow.  He and his guitar sound really nice.  Good voice and the little Hispanic dude is playing a Taylor 314ce and doing it justice. 

• Like 1