The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

1 hour ago, BoomMF said:

How much does it cost to remove a Bixby, or Bigsby, or whatever, because you're going to have to factor that in.

Nope. Have one without a Bigsby. Need one with. And if I did have to remove it, I own a screwdriver and have spare bridge 

Joking aside, what possesses a man to seek out a Les Paul, or any guitar, with a Bigsby? Is said man putting together a rockabilly Halloween costume and needs the prop? Do I need to further research a trem system that, when I last used one, was wonky and unreliable, more so than even Fender's archaic (but updated) design?

If this is nostalgia for nostalgia's sake, then never mind - THAT I fully understand and endorse.

Edited by BoomMF

Before you proceed down this dark path, consider that strapping one of those unholy contraptions to the surface of a gorgeous and innocent Les Paul is considered in many parts of the world to be an affront to nature and rock & roll.

Seriously though, man, those things dominate the aesthetics of smaller guitars. They look almost natural on large bodies guitars, like your grandfather's Gretch, but when they're put on sleek rock machines, they're like POW, FUCKIN BIGSBY IN THE HOUSE! I'm like, shit, stop yelling.

• Haha 1

Before you proceed down this dark path, consider that strapping one of those unholy contraptions to the surface of a gorgeous and innocent Les Paul is considered in many parts of the world to be an affront to nature and rock & roll.

Seriously though, man, those things dominate the aesthetics of smaller guitars. They look almost natural on large bodies guitars, like your grandfather's Gretch, but when they're put on sleek rock machines, they're like POW, FUCKIN BIGSBY IN THE HOUSE! I'm like, shit, stop yelling.

You have some very strong opinions about Bigsbys. You get your dick caught in one at some point?

You wanna see bastardized? In 1985 I bought this exact combo, alpine white Les Paul custom with a factory Kahler As in, routed out.

ed63fa1e5204d9145af382347b0afd09.jpg

Foolishly sold it. I routinely scour the web for that guitar. It has some recognizable markings. One day, maybe I’ll find it again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

You wanna see bastardized? In 1985 I bought this exact combo, alpine white Les Paul custom with a factory Kahler emoji15.png

Foolishly sold it. I routinely scour the web for that guitar. It has some recognizable markings. One day, maybe I’ll find it again.

And back around the same time, I wanted to put a Kahler on my 82 LP Custom.  Thank God I didn't do that.  

19 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

whammy bar pron....

This is essentially a remake of "Why?" from his first album "The Wham of that Memphis Man". I assume that anyone posting on this thread already owns that album. If not get it today. The voice and fingers were stronger back in 1964. One of the great debts we owe Stevie Ray is that he brought several of his guitar heroes out of obscurity, Lonnie Mack being one. 

• Like 1

It's like I dont even know who you are. And your one of those "relic" guitar guys too aren't you?

There is nothing more Rock & Roll than a Bigsby. I have them on 3 guitars and have been considering adding one to my R8 LP.

A relic is just an aesthetic, a Bigsby is sound. A Rock and Roll sound. Nothing sounds like it.
  • Like 1

It's like I dont even know who you are. And your one of those "relic" guitar guys too aren't you?

There is nothing more Rock & Roll than a Bigsby. I have them on 3 guitars and have been considering adding one to my R8 LP.

A relic is just an aesthetic, a Bigsby is sound. A Rock and Roll sound. Nothing sounds like it.

I'm an everything guy! And I take exception to your assertion that being in tune is not rock & roll.

(I dig Bigsbys, too. But I'd treat them like everyone else in the pics quoted above - a diversion to break the monotony. Like, if I woke up one day with a pressing need to complicate my hobby with uncertainty and whimsical fiddlyness. But, when it's business time, also like the dudes above, I'm picking up a different guitar... Yeah, yeah, Neil Young. A Bigsby is Neil Young af. Have fun finding a pic of him actually using it. Similarly, I'd imagine Jack White would also latch onto a Bigsby too, if only guitars sold at Sears ever had them. He's like Neil, his brand is just as much about being different as it is about music.)

It looks like someone, in a fit of anger, bolted a large gardening tool to the side of a Les Paul that's done nothing to deserve such treatment - and what was once classic and perfect is no more.

I'm an everything guy! And I take exception to your assertion that being in tune is not rock & roll. 
(I dig Bigsbys, too. But I'd treat them like everyone else in the pics quoted above - a diversion to break the monotony. Like, if I woke up one day with a pressing need to complicate my hobby with uncertainty and whimsical fiddlyness. But, when it's business time, also like the dudes above, I'm picking up a different guitar... Yeah, yeah, Neil Young. A Bigsby is Neil Young af. Have fun finding a pic of him actually using it. Similarly, I'd imagine Jack White would also latch onto a Bigsby too, if only guitars sold at Sears ever had them. He's like Neil, his brand is just as much about being different as it is about music.)

It looks like someone, in a fit of anger, bolted a large gardening tool to the side of a Les Paul that's done nothing to deserve such treatment - and what was once classic and perfect is no more.

Now you’ve done it. You’ve gone and side eyed Neil. I saw you.

Boooooo. Boo his man.

• Like 2

Now you’ve done it. You’ve gone and side eyed Neil. I saw you.

Boooooo. Boo his man.

Who knew Bigsbys were what would turn this thread into the rest of Surly?

I cant find the proper laughing gif, but just know, I tried to. 

If you are taking this shit seriously, I'll be angry with you. You won't like me when I'm angry. I'll start telling you what I think about Bob Dylan and guitars with thick necks.

• Like 1

I haven't been in a GC in a year or two.  Yesterday I stopped in to test drive some things.  This asshole tried to sell me on those Harbinger PA speakers.  He was touting 'but it has bluetooth, listen how good it sounds."    Every question I asked him, he said, "but bluetooth".    I told him I didn't give a shit about that...how did it sound with real instruments/vocals.  So I picked up an Epi Hummingbird and plugged it in.  Good a HORRIBLE buzz sound on the E and A strings...any fret.  "Well, that guitar just needs a set up".  Nope dude.  That isn't it.  It wouldn't buzz on every single fret up the neck on only those two strings.   He asks another guy.  "It is the tag on the front of the speaker"....nope dude.  I'm not that fucking dumb.  Plus, I can pull that off and show you it isn't.  "Yep...that guitar just needs a set up".  Swap guitars...same problem.   "Your guitars are probably better than those Epis".  

Plug into a Bose all-in-one and then a JBL.  No fucking buzz at all.   (holy fuck did that Bose sound great) "I bet if you get those Harbinger's home, you will love them.  Why don't you buy them.  You have 45 days to return and if you buy the extended........"  See you fuckers.    What a fucking beating that place is.  Went in to buy two JBLs and left with nothing....vowing never to return.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tbone_ said:

You wanna see bastardized? In 1985 I bought this exact combo, alpine white Les Paul custom with a factory Kahler emoji15.png As in, routed out.

That is my favorite color of any guitar, ever.  It just ages so beautifully.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Yep that’s pretty much how it goes. There is one guy at the one near me who is worth a shit. When I have to go I call and make sure he is there. But he only knows pa/keyboard/recording stuff. I don’t even bother with guitar stuff anymore.

Baboso and I decided long ago that if it is a white man's hobby, the person in the store is generally a condescending asshole.  Bike shop, guitar shop, gun store....most all are staffed by assholes.  

The last time I was in GC, I wanted to play an SG.  I picked one out.  The guy hooks it up to an Orange head and 4x12 cab and starts rocking out.  Then he gets his phone out and shows me a picture of him on a stage from the late 70s, playing in front of a huge Orange stack.  He then plays some more, unplugs the guitar, puts it back on the wall and goes about his day.  

1 hour ago, hullabelew said:

Baboso and I decided long ago that if it is a white man's hobby, the person in the store is generally a condescending asshole.  Bike shop, guitar shop, gun store....most all are staffed by assholes.  

The last time I was in GC, I wanted to play an SG.  I picked one out.  The guy hooks it up to an Orange head and 4x12 cab and starts rocking out.  Then he gets his phone out and shows me a picture of him on a stage from the late 70s, playing in front of a huge Orange stack.  He then plays some more, unplugs the guitar, puts it back on the wall and goes about his day.  

There are many who are variations on this theme:

250?cb=20161030093320

Edited by Chad Fuck