The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

As much, or more of Lonnie Mack's sound was due to his use of Magnatone Amplifiers rather than the Bigsby. The Magnatone uses frequency modulation vibrato whereas Fender uses tremolo...I think, but don't bet the farm. Magnatone has a Leslie type sound. I'm pretty sure I'm right on this. Here's a cut and paste.

Strictly speaking, and put as simply as possible, tremolo modulates volume, while vibrato modulates frequency. 

8H6WVkCXsdwpGXS8HRZTFo-650-80.jpg

Walter Becker’s Steely Dan Aja Fender guitar smashes estimate price at auction

By Rob Laing 9 days ago Guitars 

The late musician’s 1957 Duo-Sonic was part of a vast collection of his gear that went under the hammer in LA

Didn't see this come up.  Some cool gear here.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/walter-beckers-steely-dan-aja-fender-guitar-smashes-estimate-price-at-auction

18 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

I've been test driving an Epi 339 with humbuckers.    Says it is used but still has stickers and plastic over pickguard.  I'm stopping by today to give it one last listen and will decide then.  But I'm thinking about putting P90s in it.  

Any suggestion on what to go with?  

P-90s won't fit in a humbucker hole.  Gonna have to do some work on it.  Or you can get these:

https://reverb.com/p/gibson-p-94t-single-coil-2016?gclid=Cj0KCQjwr-_tBRCMARIsAN413WQjXbz6y8I7MF-Ok519uYVPCXef5Ij4y1lbWchzNiNTH2cbDNIH744aAtQwEALw_wcB&hfid=18574340&merchant_id=102698313&utm_campaign=2068628530&utm_medium=pla&utm_source=google

jc4cwkhgq0ek42rtxuxq.jpg

• Like 1

Baboso and I decided long ago that if it is a white man's hobby, the person in the store is generally a condescending asshole.  Bike shop, guitar shop, gun store....most all are staffed by assholes.  
The last time I was in GC, I wanted to play an SG.  I picked one out.  The guy hooks it up to an Orange head and 4x12 cab and starts rocking out.  Then he gets his phone out and shows me a picture of him on a stage from the late 70s, playing in front of a huge Orange stack.  He then plays some more, unplugs the guitar, puts it back on the wall and goes about his day.  

They’re snobs. They’re total elitists who feel like the unappreciated scholars, so they shit on the people who knows less than them. Which is everybody.

It’s just sad.
  • Like 3

Need advice from the Guitar Mafia.  I have finally come to the realization that I'm just not a Les Paul guy.  I've been wavering back and forth since I bought mine 5 years ago.  It is the most beautiful guitar I've ever owned but I just don't enjoy playing it.  Something about the scale and the fret-board radius.  I hate to sell it but I'm just not playing it.

If you were selling a 2014 Les Paul Traditional Honeyburst....where would you list it for sale.  None of my local buddy's want it.  Really don't want to deal with the Ebay route.  Never sold anything on Craig's list...not sure I want to fuck with that either.    Pondering Reverb.  Also going to talk to the guys who sold it to me to see about putting it in their shop on consignment.  

Or, if any of you assholes know anyone who wants a rarely played, beautiful Les Paul, let me know.  Condition is between Very Good and Excellent due to a tiny bit of hanger rash that was there when I bought it and didn't notice it until I got it home in better light.  Would probably list it for $1,800 on Reverb but would take $1,500 from a Surly friend or neighbor.  The case has to 'bruises' on the case where it got knocked over a chair (without the guitar in it).  

https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/12229

Date       Condition    Sold Price

10/19      Good           $1,450

10/19       Mint           $1,850

8/2019   Very Good   $1,500

7/19        Excellent    $1,800

7/19       Very Good   $1,338

7/19        Good           $1,050

7/19     Very Good     $1,500

7/19      Excellent       $1,610.

5/19      Excellent       $1,700

4/19     Very Good      $1,485

Pictures to follow

9b960401b4a43a502b2dbaf9550d9f3e.jpg883b3f2069dcc9919b53e6f9fae535ed.jpgc3c2048be7922e290ebd9ad0886de844.jpgc53be795e4332c0be214c4b0bfb5cf62.jpg0b8dfa8ebce2f4a1075813315dd94d54.jpg

bc371ccbb65e062ed529af8cfc38ba2c.jpg

cccf147e89dbd373c746621220b9d4d1.jpg

Edited by hullabelew
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Or, if any of you assholes know anyone who wants a rarely played, beautiful Les Paul, let me know.  Condition is between Very Good and Excellent due to a tiny bit of hanger rash that was there when I bought it and didn't notice it until I got it home in better light.  Would probably list it for $1,800 on Reverb but would take $1,500 from a Surly friend or neighbor.  The case has to 'bruises' on the case where it got knocked over a chair (without the guitar in it).  

883b3f2069dcc9919b53e6f9fae535ed.jpgc3c2048be7922e290ebd9ad0886de844.jpgc53be795e4332c0be214c4b0bfb5cf62.jpg0b8dfa8ebce2f4a1075813315dd94d54.jpg

The back is spotless.  Not a scratch on it.  

You can see the hanger rash on the back of the head stock.  I've never tried...you could maybe buff it out.  And of course the bruised up case.  In two spots.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oh, it's not hypothetical.  However, it's college app & tour season, no guitars for me.

I feel your pain.   Funny thing is, I bought that guitar the same day my wife bought a new car.   As we were test driving cars, I would put the guitar in the back seat with me.  

Honestly boys...if you hear of anyone who is interested, have them hit me up before I change my mind again.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

And for 25 bucks more you come out ahead over trying to replace the pups in the bucker version. More than a few available on Reverb. I love mine to death.

Stop with the logic.    😉

Actually, I have a buddy going up to Charlotte.  I'll probably send the cash with him.  Make it easier to sneak it in the house than if the UPS truck shows up... please save on shipping.  

Edited by hullabelew
  • Like 1

The humbucker size P90's never seem right to me. Something about the dog ears or soap bars look so good. Those new ones Epi has in that 339 work so well with that smaller semi-hollow body. They go from really articulate and clean when turned down, to "Lock up the women and children" when cranked.

Need advice from the Guitar Mafia.  I have finally come to the realization that I'm just not a Les Paul guy.  I've been wavering back and forth since I bought mine 5 years ago.  It is the most beautiful guitar I've ever owned but I just don't enjoy playing it.  Something about the scale and the fret-board radius.  I hate to sell it but I'm just not playing it.

If you were selling a 2014 Les Paul Traditional Honeyburst....where would you list it for sale.  None of my local buddy's want it.  Really don't want to deal with the Ebay route.  Never sold anything on Craig's list...not sure I want to fuck with that either.    Pondering Reverb.  Also going to talk to the guys who sold it to me to see about putting it in their shop on consignment.  

Pictures to follow

9b960401b4a43a502b2dbaf9550d9f3e.jpg883b3f2069dcc9919b53e6f9fae535ed.jpgc3c2048be7922e290ebd9ad0886de844.jpgc53be795e4332c0be214c4b0bfb5cf62.jpg0b8dfa8ebce2f4a1075813315dd94d54.jpg

...as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced...
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Pictures to follow

Fretboard needs some oil before you list it.

Did anyone else get an email from guitarcenter.com? It is for 20% off with code. At first I wasn't sure it was legit, but then I saw the exceptions printed below the code:

What the fuck is left?

Exclusions and limitations: $500 maximum discount. Not to be used in conjunction with other coupons, promotions or offers. No cash value. Excludes discounted and clearance items, price matches, used/vintage, tax/shipping charges, scratch and dent, Gift Cards and musician services (Pro Coverage, Repairs, Rentals and Lessons).

Products from the following manufacturers are excluded: A Designs, ADAM Audio, Aguilar, Allen & Heath, Alvarez, Ampeg, Antelope Audio, Apogee, Apple, Arturia, Ashdown, Ashly Audio, Avantone, Avid, BAE, Beetronics FX, Blackstar, Bose, BOSS, Burl Audio, Caparison Guitars, Catalinbread, Chapman, Crate, Cusack Music, D.W. Fearn, Dangerous Music, Dave Smith Instruments, Dean Markley, Duesenberg USA, EarthQuaker Devices, Earthworks, Electro-Harmonix, elysia, Empress Effects, Epiphone, Ernie Ball Music Man, EVH, Fender, Fender Custom Shop, Focal, Focusrite, Fostex, Friedman, Fulltone, Fulltone Custom Shop, Gallien-Krueger, Gibson, Gibson Custom, Golden Age Project, GoPro, HeadRush, Heritage Audio, iConnectivity, ISP Technologies, iZotope, JHS Pedals, Kali Audio, Keeley, Kemper, Korg, Kurzweil, Kush Audio, LaChapell Audio, Lâg Guitars, Lewitt Audio Microphones, Lindell Audio, Mackie, Manley, Marshall, Martin, MEINL, Metric Halo, Millennia, Milkman Sound, Mojave Audio, Moog, MOTU, Native Instruments, Neumann, Nord, Novation, Orange Amplifiers, Paiste, Pettyjohn Electronics, Phoenix Audio, Primacoustic, PRS, Radial Engineering, Randall, Rane, Reloop, Reverend, RME, Rockett Pedals, Roland, Royer, Ruach Music, sE Electronics, Sennheiser, Serato, S.E. Shires, Shure, Slate Digital, Slate Pro Audio, Slate Media Technology, Softube, Soundbrenner, Source Audio, Squier, Steven Slate Drums, Studiologic, Supro, Suzuki, Taylor, Teenage Engineering, TELEFUNKEN, Teletronix, Toft Audio Designs, Tone King, Tube-Tech, Voodoo Lab, VOX, Walrus Audio, Wampler, Warm Audio, Westone, Xotic Effects, Yamaha, ZT, ZVex.

Edited by DougO

18 minutes ago, DougO said:

Did anyone else get an email from guitarcenter.com? It is for 20% off with code. At first I wasn't sure it was legit, but then I saw the exceptions printed below the code:

What the fuck is left?

Exclusions and limitations: $500 maximum discount. Not to be used in conjunction with other coupons, promotions or offers. No cash value. Excludes discounted and clearance items, price matches, used/vintage, tax/shipping charges, scratch and dent, Gift Cards and musician services (Pro Coverage, Repairs, Rentals and Lessons).

Products from the following manufacturers are excluded: A Designs, ADAM Audio, Aguilar, Allen & Heath, Alvarez, Ampeg, Antelope Audio, Apogee, Apple, Arturia, Ashdown, Ashly Audio, Avantone, Avid, BAE, Beetronics FX, Blackstar, Bose, BOSS, Burl Audio, Caparison Guitars, Catalinbread, Chapman, Crate, Cusack Music, D.W. Fearn, Dangerous Music, Dave Smith Instruments, Dean Markley, Duesenberg USA, EarthQuaker Devices, Earthworks, Electro-Harmonix, elysia, Empress Effects, Epiphone, Ernie Ball Music Man, EVH, Fender, Fender Custom Shop, Focal, Focusrite, Fostex, Friedman, Fulltone, Fulltone Custom Shop, Gallien-Krueger, Gibson, Gibson Custom, Golden Age Project, GoPro, HeadRush, Heritage Audio, iConnectivity, ISP Technologies, iZotope, JHS Pedals, Kali Audio, Keeley, Kemper, Korg, Kurzweil, Kush Audio, LaChapell Audio, Lâg Guitars, Lewitt Audio Microphones, Lindell Audio, Mackie, Manley, Marshall, Martin, MEINL, Metric Halo, Millennia, Milkman Sound, Mojave Audio, Moog, MOTU, Native Instruments, Neumann, Nord, Novation, Orange Amplifiers, Paiste, Pettyjohn Electronics, Phoenix Audio, Primacoustic, PRS, Radial Engineering, Randall, Rane, Reloop, Reverend, RME, Rockett Pedals, Roland, Royer, Ruach Music, sE Electronics, Sennheiser, Serato, S.E. Shires, Shure, Slate Digital, Slate Pro Audio, Slate Media Technology, Softube, Soundbrenner, Source Audio, Squier, Steven Slate Drums, Studiologic, Supro, Suzuki, Taylor, Teenage Engineering, TELEFUNKEN, Teletronix, Toft Audio Designs, Tone King, Tube-Tech, Voodoo Lab, VOX, Walrus Audio, Wampler, Warm Audio, Westone, Xotic Effects, Yamaha, ZT, ZVex.

They just can't advertise the discount per agreements with the manufacturers. If you go in, or call them, and ask for it, they will give it to you.