The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

28 minutes ago, DougO said:

Mostly little poors pedals, Donner, Mooer, mostly with rubber or foam rubber bases. Even my EHX pedals have rubber feet on them that sit up higher than the hunk of velcro would, making them essentially unstickable.

Rubber bases always was the problem for the Ibanez and Boss pedals.  I always considered the individual pieces of bike chain run around the pedal base screws and drilled into the board, but I was too lazy to implement.

45 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Rubber bases always was the problem for the Ibanez and Boss pedals.  I always considered the individual pieces of bike chain run around the pedal base screws and drilled into the board, but I was too lazy to implement.

My power supply is an old Boss PS5 with rubber base, but so far it's sticking. I just don't try to move it much.  I have a couple of other Boss pedals stashed away that I might use at some point. I kinda like the small form pedals, though.

9 hours ago, DougO said:

Mostly little poors pedals, Donner, Mooer, mostly with rubber or foam rubber bases. Even my EHX pedals have rubber feet on them that sit up higher than the hunk of velcro would, making them essentially unstickable.

I have a Ross compressor with the rubber feet.  I recall pulling the screw from the feet and putting little squares of velcro on the feet and putting the screw through the velcro.   Wasn't pretty, but it held. 

I used this for my boss and ibanez pedals.  Little tricky on the Ibanez since I had to drill new holes.  But works great.  They may have some other parts that would work.  I know there are flat wah plates for velcro out there somewhere. 

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/bottom-plate-for-small-bear-125-b-boss-ibanez/

Guitar nerds gods

Looking to buy an electric guitar for my daughter (she's 14 pervs!)  She just started learning but really likes it.  She has an acoustic that she plays at school (loaner)  What do you recommend?

Like to keep the damage below $500... but would stretch it if there is good marginal return.  I guess the Les Paul & Marshall stack are out.  

Edited by Loco

23 minutes ago, Loco said:

Guitar nerds gods

Looking to buy an electric guitar for my daughter (she's 14 pervs!)  She just started learning but really likes it.  She has an acoustic that she plays at school (loaner)  What do you recommend?

Like to keep the damage below $500... but would stretch it if there is good marginal return.  I guess the Les Paul & Marshall stack are out.  

Post #6680/6681(for example)

Edited by noharleyyet

Now all I need is a time machine...  but yeah...  I also need some guidance because I know fuck all about guitars.  I thought someone might have some advice or a surly consensus about a good starter setup.

Edited by Loco

2 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

What kind of music does she listen to and/or play? 

She is interested in playing rock...   but she is just getting started.  I put delta blues every Sunday morning and she likes that too.   I do know that the Guitar teacher has them learning Greenday songs...  I assume because it's easy to play and doesn't sound like Camp Town Races.  Again I know shit about guitars

1 hour ago, Loco said:

Guitar nerds gods

I really love the Squier Bullet Telecaster I keep handy for impromptu jamming, and it can be had for $129 ish at musiciansfriend or GC. They even have a girly red one available. Then you can put some money into a decent amp.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Foggy Notion said:

I agree on the Squier Classic Vibes if you want to step up from the Bullet or Affinity. Those are very good guitars. That 60s Strat in Lake Placid Blue and the 50s Tele are really nice. 

My Classic Vibe 50's is the only guitar I regret selling off. They are made in Indonesia, now, so not sure about the new ones.

23 hours ago, Foggy Notion said:

I agree on the Squier Classic Vibes if you want to step up from the Bullet or Affinity. Those are very good guitars. That 60s Strat in Lake Placid Blue and the 50s Tele are really nice. 

Bullet is better than Affinity, imo, because of the string-through body setup. The price of the Bullet is one of the best values ever.

• Like 1

Welp,
Went to Guitar Center and had her check out, play, and hold a BUNCH of guitars from a Mexican Fender Strat to the Gretsch Electromatic.  No matter what she tried she just kept coming back to an Epiphone SG.  She even looked more comfortable sitting with it and even guitars that were more expensive (and I thought sounded better...  that Gretsch tho) didn't hold her interest at all compared to the SG.
Ended up with this Epiphone SG - G-400 Pro despite it's borderline criminal lack of USB ports
1_Full_Straight_Front_NA-c694f72a7f68746505255257354e4445.jpg
We were running late for another appointment so we punted on other decisions
Any recommendations on staps, cords, & AMPs ??

I don’t know anything about those guitars but the fact that it spoke to her is a good sign.

The Boss Katana is pretty good first amp choice because they are reasonably priced and come in a few different shapes and sizes and provide a very wide range of tones.

Straps are whatever she likes. Cords I don’t have much of an opinion on.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Loco said:

Welp,

Went to Guitar Center and had her check out, play, and hold a BUNCH of guitars from a Mexican Fender Strat to the Gretsch Electromatic.  No matter what she tried she just kept coming back to an Epiphone SG.  She even looked more comfortable sitting with it and even guitars that were more expensive (and I thought sounded better...  that Gretsch tho) didn't hold her interest at all compared to the SG.

Ended up with this Epiphone SG - G-400 Pro despite it's borderline criminal lack of USB ports

1_Full_Straight_Front_NA-c694f72a7f68746

I had that guitar. It is actually sounds really great. Fender makes a great modeling amp that will give her some tone options to play with (both presets and her own saved favorites).
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Mustang1V2--fender-mustang-i-v2-20-watt-1x8-inch-modeling-combo-amp.  Any cable is fine. I would let her pick the strap she likes. There are a million styles and materials. Couch has some pretty cool designs. https://www.couchguitarstraps.com/guitar-straps.

And make sure to get the guitar a good set up if you haven't already. 

Edited by topochico
Set up. Always get the set up.
  • Like 1

Nothing wrong with that blue sg at all. Nice job.

Pro tip: take it to a tech and get a set up done. It will play much better for her. Should cost $35-$50. Lots of times they don’t come fully dialed in from the factory like they should be.

I’d second the katana. Though if you really were a cool dad you’d get this:

8a2b8d739af1212bdc50c2c3a3e6c8f1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Loco said:

Well done on the guitar.  Having her get what she wants is a GREAT start.  

My two tips, after getting a good setup.    Have a guitar tech or teacher show her how to properly restring it and buy her a Snark turner that clips on the headstock.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Loco said:

Welp,

1_Full_Straight_Front_NA-c694f72a7f68746

Saw Derek Trucks crush it with his SG Friday night at Bass Concert Hall.  It makes me want one.  Congrats to her!

Edit:  For a learning amp, I am very intrigued by this new PositiveGrid Spark Amp.  I use their Bias FX 2 software for recording and the tones are pretty damn nice and the amp uses the same sound engine w/access to their 'tone cloud' with a shit ton of settings people have loaded.  Features that would make this amp great for learning:

* Stream from your smart phone to your amp for play along
* Loop and slow down audio from spotify & youtube to learn licks, songs, etc...
* Generated dums and bass that can play along with you for noodling
* Built in looper, effects, etc...
* Small size
* Cheap price

https://www.positivegrid.com/spark

Its just released, though, so there aren't really reviews out yet.  If you can hold out on an amp for another few weeks, there will probably be some 3rd party reviews outside of just press releases and product description.

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:
How in the hell did you make it through 4 sets in an apartment?  Who are your neighbors, Slayer?

1) Buy the fucking building

2) Warn the neighbors in advance with a hard end time

3) ????

4) Profit

Seriously, after my divorce I couldn't afford to buy in San Francisco so I've been renting an apartment. When the building my friend owns a bar in went up for sale we decided to partner up and buy it. I got a 2 BR apartment on Mission Street in San Francisco out of it, and she now controls her own rent for eternity. We celebrated with a party for the neighborhood before I moved in.

I'd loaned my friend the Telecaster for his bands Halloween Burrito Brothers tribute set. I missed that show so I asked if they'd play it again at my party and they agreed. I had a fucking full band complete with fiddle and pedal steel in my fucking bedroom! They opened because they had a paying gig to get to after, but they were incredible for a Grampire like myself.

[/url]  

d77388762c2bbed617ee8672dce92a21.jpg

Edited by AnotherUTFan
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

1) Buy the fucking building

2) Warn the neighbors in advance with a hard end time

3) ????

4) Profit

Seriously, after my divorce I couldn't afford to buy in San Francisco so I've been renting an apartment. When the building my friend owns a bar in went up for sale we decided to partner up and buy it. I got a 2 BR apartment on Mission Street in San Francisco out of it, and she now controls her own rent for eternity. We celebrated with a party for the neighborhood before I moved in.

I'd loaned my friend the Telecaster for his bands Halloween Burrito Brothers tribute set. I missed that show so I asked if they'd play it again at my party and they agreed. I had a fucking full band complete with fiddle and pedal steel in my fucking bedroom! They opened because they had a paying gig to get to after, but they were incredible for a Grampire like myself.

[/url]  

d77388762c2bbed617ee8672dce92a21.jpg

I thought I was good having a stage in the yard. You have a bar beneath you. FML.

• Like 2

On 11/17/2019 at 7:17 PM, topochico said:

I had that guitar. It is actually sounds really great. Fender makes a great modeling amp that will give her some tone options to play with (both presets and her own saved favorites).
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Mustang1V2--fender-mustang-i-v2-20-watt-1x8-inch-modeling-combo-amp.  Any cable is fine. I would let her pick the strap she likes. There are a million styles and materials. Couch has some pretty cool designs. https://www.couchguitarstraps.com/guitar-straps.

And make sure to get the guitar a good set up if you haven't already. 

I have that amp and it's been a great starter amp for me.

I swapped out the speaker with this one:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/820H--eminence-820h-patriot-series-8-inch-20-watt-replacement-guitar-speaker-4-ohm/reviews

Edited by tigol

Live At AUTF's Apartment
I'd tune in for that.

That's actually an idea worth pursuing. I've got a lot of inroads into the local music scene and now a cool spot to showcase some of it in an intimate setting. That's a great idea. We just need the medium to share it. YouTube? Hell, now that I think of it I have friends at Apple Music. Thanks!

I thought I was good having a stage in the yard. You have a bar beneath you. FML.

I'll tell you, you never know where life's gonna take you man. It's been a hell of a ride.

Buddy of mine toured nationally for 4-5 years. Then quit and bought a bar in downtown Oxford, MS. He lived above it.

Quite the ride.

Jealous as fuck man. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you.

So, Surly Guitar Pron party at AUTf's place?

Anytime! Seriously.

Yesterday we discussed putting a patio bar on the roof, complete with an elevator to get there. Wouldnt that be a hell of a venue to host it?

Live At AUTF's Apartment
I'd tune in for that.

That's actually an idea worth pursuing. I've got a lot of inroads into the local music scene and now a cool spot to showcase some of it in an intimate setting. That's a great idea. We just need the medium to share it. YouTube? Hell, now that I think of it I have friends at Apple Music. Thanks!

I'll tell you, you never know where life's gonna take you man. It's been a hell of a ride.

Buddy of mine toured nationally for 4-5 years. Then quit and bought a bar in downtown Oxford, MS. He lived above it.

Quite the ride.

Thank you.

Anytime! Seriously.

Yesterday we discussed putting a patio bar on the roof, complete with an elevator to get there. Wouldnt that be a hell of a venue to host it?

Live At AUTF's Apartment
I'd tune in for that.

That's actually an idea worth pursuing. I've got a lot of inroads into the local music scene and now a cool spot to showcase some of it in an intimate setting. That's a great idea. We just need the medium to share it. YouTube? Hell, now that I think of it I have friends at Apple Music. I gotta think this through.

I'll tell you, you never know where life's gonna take you man. It's been one a hell of a ride so far. Wonder what's gonna happen next.

Quite the ride.

Thank you.

Anytime! Seriously.

I’m in a small town south of Austin. Moved here 2 years ago, and moving back in 2 weeks because fuck this place.

Any way, there is a cool family here that loves live music. So they started Weaver House Concerts, where they host traveling musicians and give them a free place to stay and hot meals while they’re on the road. Typically just a 1 or 2 night stay. In return, they host a concert in their living room or backyard and take donations of $20 a head (if you can’t pay...no biggie) and donate all of that to the artist.

Been a cool thing. Intimate performances that you don’t get anywhere else. They’ve met some amazing people. Maybe give that a shot.

• Like 3