The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I appreciate you taking the time to listen and your feedback as I wrote and arranged some of these ttunes JJ. Funny thing about writing originals, you think you've come up with something good, but by the time you've worked it out with the band you've lost all objectivity as tonigh it's any good or not. The response has been great so far, but until we got out of the rehearsal space I only had limited feedback from a few people like you.

Here's another I wrote from our show last Saturday.

And this one is our heavy doom song followed by one of my favorites that I wrote about my divorce.

• Like 2

From what I've read, the DSL has a more 80's stacked gain , modern tone with multiple channels and the Origin has the vintage 70's Plexi tone with a single channel and a Tilt control that acts like jumpering between the 2 channels of a 4 input Plexi.

Our sound is defined by my Plexi, but that is a loud motherfucker at something like a house party or smaller room. Thinking this will give us our sound in a single, small portable box.

Went to Wildwood Guitars in Denver today and played the Gibson ES-339 and ES-335 side by side for an hour or so.  I could tell a tone difference and prefer the ES-335.  The size didn’t matter to me, I’m used to playing a big ass acoustic dreadnaught half the time anyway.  Will be looking at picking one up soon-ish.

BB702-BFD-CEEC-452-A-9-B48-54167-FD513-A

3728-E919-671-F-4225-B9-DA-FCF30613047-C

CE47-A281-B4-EC-439-B-995-F-46-DD457533-

799819-B8-A2-C9-4-F99-BB0-D-7-F51-D961-E

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Our sound is defined by my Plexi, but that is a loud motherfucker at something like a house party or smaller room. Thinking this will give us our sound in a single, small portable box.

You could always pull 2 of the power tubes to knock in down to 50 watts, if you haven't already. Still fucking loud, though.

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

Went to Wildwood Guitars in Denver today and played the Gibson ES-339 and ES-335 side by side for an hour or so.  I could tell a tone difference and prefer the ES-335.  The size didn’t matter to me, I’m used to playing a big ass acoustic dreadnaught half the time anyway.  Will be looking at picking one up soon-ish.

BB702-BFD-CEEC-452-A-9-B48-54167-FD513-A

3728-E919-671-F-4225-B9-DA-FCF30613047-C

CE47-A281-B4-EC-439-B-995-F-46-DD457533-

799819-B8-A2-C9-4-F99-BB0-D-7-F51-D961-E

So the Les Paul didn't quench your thirst?

Playing my brother’s ES-335 made me thirsty again.  The Les Paul is great, but I want a good semi-hollow to go along with it.  I just was not liking the price on the 335 and hoping the 339 at nearly a grand less would sound similarly.  I may go play an Epiphone 335 to see how different a tone 2 grand gets you.

Edited by Goredho

Playing my brother’s ES-335 made me thirsty again.  The Les Paul is great, but I want a good semi-hollow to go along with it.  I just was not liking the price on the 335 and hoping the 339 at nearly a grand less would sound similarly.  I may go play an Epiphone 335 to see how different a tone 2 grand gets you.
I got my 335 back from the friend who's been storing some stuff for me last night. Can't wait to play it, it's been over a year. Mine's an '89 Blonde model. I'll get pics up, I dont know that I've posted any since the old board died.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Look at the Epi 335 Pros. Better pickups, and trapezoidal inlays instead of the dots. I like mine.

20191207_152138.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Oh, at at a tenth of the cost, it doesn't have a tenth of the tone. I'd love a Gibson, but damn, that price. 

Yeah, stopped by a guitar center on the way back up to the mountains and played an Epiphone ES-335 Pro and I liked its tone but not its feel.  Think I’ll hold out for a Gibson 335 when I can swing it.

From what I've read, the DSL has a more 80's stacked gain , modern tone with multiple channels and the Origin has the vintage 70's Plexi tone with a single channel and a Tilt control that acts like jumpering between the 2 channels of a 4 input Plexi.

That’s cool. Be sure and post clips.

I got a dsl 40 a while back off Reverb and sold it a week later because I couldn’t find a single sound I liked in it. Waaaay to fizzy for my tastes.

21 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Did you play that through the Brown Eye behind it?

Btw, where is Wildwood? I go to Denver a bunch and keep meaning to carve out some time to get by there.

Northwest side, out towards Boulder.  Its a nice high-end guitar store with several private demo rooms each with multiple amps to wail away as loud as you like.  Some vintage guitars.

https://wildwoodguitars.com/

new-building-banner.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-12-08-at-3-24-40-PM.png

Here's my ES-335. The pickups are original Bill Lawrence "circuit board" humbuckers that Gibson used in 335, Les Paul, and a few other models between mid-88 and mid-90. Very unique, creamy tone that I really like, but a lot of people don't.

I tried and failed to get a good picture, but love the way the mahogany grain has aged on the back of the neck. The one of the headstock kinda catches it.

f92748909a3446d9ada01cd11dd5b9bf.jpgc667aafab8a99f97e84e91d0b6b12004.jpg17a091fd682ccf2d10bc9d9d5fbb3b27.jpg53f85610bf080ba23976a018936cf2c4.jpgae076b63e75143c5e4f8067ce3f77707.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Here's my ES-335. The pickups are original Bill Lawrence "circuit board" humbuckers that Gibson used in 335, Les Paul, and a few other models between mid-88 and mid-90. Very unique, creamy tone that I really like, but a lot of people don't.

I tried and failed to get a good picture, but love the way the mahogany grain has aged on the back of the neck. The one of the headstock kinda catches it.

f92748909a3446d9ada01cd11dd5b9bf.jpgc667aafab8a99f97e84e91d0b6b12004.jpg17a091fd682ccf2d10bc9d9d5fbb3b27.jpg53f85610bf080ba23976a018936cf2c4.jpgae076b63e75143c5e4f8067ce3f77707.jpg

This guitar fucks.

• Like 1

I appreciate you taking the time to listen and your feedback as I wrote and arranged some of these ttunes JJ. Funny thing about writing originals, you think you've come up with something good, but by the time you've worked it out with the band you've lost all objectivity as tonigh it's any good or not. The response has been great so far, but until we got out of the rehearsal space I only had limited feedback from a few people like you.

Here's another I wrote from our show last Saturday.

[/url]

And this one is our heavy doom song followed by one of my favorites that I wrote about my divorce.

Man that Gretsch is a beast. Great stuff.
  • Like 2

Currently leaning heavily towards getting a Gibson ES-335 with P90s from Wildwood as soon as I can sell some shit.  Not the prettiest top, but I love the way it sounds and feels.  And its a good $700 less than the humbuckered version that sounds a lot closer to my Les Paul 60s.

If anyone is interested in a PRS S2 Studio, Godin Icon Convertible type 2 or Fender Mustang GT 200 amp, let me know.

128190000_lg4.jpg

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Deej said:

What else is going on there? I can't imagine different pickups is a $700 difference.  Is something different with the build?

$400 in list price, but they are willing to work a little more on the P90 model.  Not sure why, maybe just supply vs demand.  The only difference I can tell visually is no pickguard and P-90s.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Deej said:

What else is going on there? I can't imagine different pickups is a $700 difference.  Is something different with the build?

Looking at specs, the P90 version has a maple vs mahogany neck.  Everything else is pretty much the same except pickups.

• Like 1

“I’ve got a ’59 Les Paul, a ’61 dot-neck ES-335 and a mid-Sixties ES-355 that was given to me by Gregg Allman that are particular favorites. I leave them all at home; I’ll use them in the studio, but I don’t really trust fate as far as taking old guitars on tour. My signature guitars are my favorites from a playability standpoint, but when I switch to my ’59 Les Paul, there’s something magical there that you just can’t replicate.”

• Like 1

I've sold several and always take a lot of pictures with them as I pack them so I can prove any shipping damage wasnt there. I also throw in a little extra, set of strings, picks or something, because it's better to over deliver. Less chance you'll get complaints or returns if the guy on the recieving in thinks you fair.

• Like 2

I've sold several and always take a lot of pictures with them as I pack them so I can prove any shipping damage wasnt there. I also throw in a little extra, set of strings, picks or something, because it's better to over deliver. Less chance you'll get complaints or returns if the guy on the recieving in thinks you fair.

Lagniappe is life.
  • Like 1