The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

What can you tell me about this SG.  It has some wear but is in overall decent condition.  Strings look evenly high end to end so I think neck is straight but could probably use a setup.

SN Decoder says its either a 1976 or 2003.

Are those factory tuning machines? - I finally found that they are D'Addario Planet Waves machines based on the logo on the back.

I don't know how to tell one pickup from another.  Anything of note there?

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/TexasEd/Guitars/20180526_145331_zpsb8fvlkjc.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/TexasEd/Guitars/20180526_145342_zpsay75iki7.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/TexasEd/Guitars/20180526_145438_zpspbo2egll.jpg

Edited by TexasEd

I don't know SG varieties that well, but I'm going to guess it's a 2005-ish SG Special. The painted on headstock logo, the SG on the cover, the knobs, look like what are usually on a Special. Going price on Reverb looks to be around $650 for Very Good. If the neck is right and it's playable looks like pretty dang good deal. Try to get at least a gig bag out of them, assuming a case isn't included. Pawn shops will usually have at least a leftover oddball bag in the back they will include if you work them. At least it gives you something to transport it in.

Does anyone use a wireless that doesn't suck? I tried a Shure SLX4 series that we had at work, and it is awful. Changes the tone completely. I used to have a Shure way back when and I don't remember it affecting the tone so much. 
The Line6 G10 looks interesting- https://line6.com/relay/g10/

I have the G10 and I love it. The first one was a dud and I had to exchange it, but no issues since then. I don’t play any other way now.

If anyone's looking for a nice, interesting, relatively inexpensive dreadnought in Austin, you should go down to the South Austin Guitar Center and look at this Sigma, to your right on the wall with the door when you walk in to the acoustic room.

1_EBD7_ED3_1_E4_F_4673_8_A0_B_5319_B5_EF

730623_CB_239_A_4_E8_C_B268_EBEA9_D6_FF5

418_BD52_E_8_EF5_406_B_B224_95_B85767_B0

Sigma was a brand launched by Martin in the '70s to compete with less expensive acoustics made offshore.  I don't know enough about the history or value of these guitars to say if it's worth any more than what it's listed for here, or confirm that it was made in Japan, but this is the first guitar I've picked up in an acoustic room in Guitar Center since they moved the expensive guitars up high that I actually seriously considered purchasing for a minute.  I might have, except I have several things I need to pay for coming up and I own an actual D-41.  If that guitar hangs around for a few months I might get it.  Sounded great.

https://reverb.com/item/477402-vintage-1983-sigma-dr-41-made-in-japan-acoustic-guitar-rare

similar one

Edited by Celery Man

Way too old for Wonderwall. My go-tos were Zeppelin and Floyd.

I did an acoustic arrangement with sort of a Neil Young syncopated rhythm pattern that I call Wonder in the Sand. I can’t sing to it because the pattern opposes the melody in places and I’m not that coordinated. :/ I’ll record it and post it when I have a minute.

HVAC dude comes by to give an estimate on replacing our units.  In the basement, I have the guitars and amps set up.  He is probably about 70 years old.  He is the sales guy but was a service tech for years.  He says, "Nice Les Paul.........and I love that Nashville tele....so versatile."    I asked him what he played, and he told me "Mostly banjo.  I'm a bluegrass guy." but the more I talked to him, I knew he was holding out.  By the time he left, he spilled that he owned a 1954 J45, a 1954 D18 and an early 50s HD28.   Also a mid 90s J45 reissue.  He has owned all of the older guitars since the late 60s, early 70s.  

He then pulls his phone out and shows a clip of him playing the 54 J45, then the HD28.  He is using metal finger and thumb picks, and played the same song like a banjo player would.....to compare the tone of the 2 guitars.  I could have talked and listened to that dude all day long.  

• Like 1

On 5/27/2018 at 10:14 PM, Buzzrock said:

I have the G10 and I love it. The first one was a dud and I had to exchange it, but no issues since then. I don’t play any other way now.

I have fluorescent lights in my basement.    They put a hum in virtually everything that plugs in down there.  You ever have any interference problems with the G10?  

Ha, that's great.

I went to a doctor a couple of years ago for a problem I was having with my ear, shortly before I was going to go on Warped Tour (and had just bought my Matchless).  Picked a random one near my office but in a nice neighborhood, got in, cool young doctor guy with good bedside manner is talking to me about whatever and says he used to play guitar.  He asks what I play and I mention my Gretsch and my new Matchless, and he says "Yeah I play a tele, used to have a Matchless - that's a bright combo."  Of course the doctor had a Matchless.  When I was checking out he came up front and handed me a CD, and he was in a band that I guess had a little bit of local popularity in the '90s, Prescott Curlywolf.  I really dug this song, and hey it's on youtube now...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Deej said:
17 hours ago, Celery Man said:
I’m on the edge of my seat waiting for the m. night shyamalan twist

My dentist was Henry Juszkiewicz.

Ha.  When we were talking about Gibson, the banjo playing HVAC guy said, "Henry is an idiot."  

Love stories like these.

Dig that Prescott Curlywolf song, CM. Kinda has a Swan Swan H vibe to it. It also reminds me that I really need to buy a mandolin and teach myself to play. I’ve loved the sound since Every Picture Tells A Story came out when I was a little kid.

10 minutes ago, the idoit said:

That’s awesome, Hulla. Joe Aderhold sounds like the shiznit. Is Earleen his wife? A chick named Earleen that plays bass. Bad. Ass.

Yep.  That is his wife, but I think his daughter may play bass with him in some videos.  I've see Earleen and Wanda both noted as bass players.  

I picked up a used Ovation mandolin several years ago.  They are fun as shit to play and fairly easy to learn.  You just have to think about the chords, upside down, since it is essentially the EADG strings just turned upside down.  

A chick I know that runs a used instrument shop in Atlanta is a left-handed bass player and once she told me to just flip the chords upside down, it made perfect sense.  Still took some getting used to but they are fun to mess around with.  

Edited by hullabelew
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2018 at 2:26 PM, Celery Man said:

Ha, that's great.

I went to a doctor a couple of years ago for a problem I was having with my ear, shortly before I was going to go on Warped Tour (and had just bought my Matchless).  Picked a random one near my office but in a nice neighborhood, got in, cool young doctor guy with good bedside manner is talking to me about whatever and says he used to play guitar.  He asks what I play and I mention my Gretsch and my new Matchless, and he says "Yeah I play a tele, used to have a Matchless - that's a bright combo."  Of course the doctor had a Matchless.  When I was checking out he came up front and handed me a CD, and he was in a band that I guess had a little bit of local popularity in the '90s, Prescott Curlywolf

Ha, that's Ron Byrd.  Same basic scene as Picket Line Coyotes -> The Gourds.

Friday pron - Sporting Wood. Guitars with finishes that showcase interesting woods and grains.

Flamed Walnut

East Indian Walnut 

Burst over Spalted Maple 

Flamed Koa

Ziricote (never heard of it)

Reclaimed wood - so cool, it looks like it came right off of someone's old barn

Zebra Wood - this is a thing I guess

• Like 2

I like having my calendar blocked by a bunch of meetings that I don't really need on Fridays.  I can go home and take them remote on mute and play guitar.  Watched through Parks and Rec again recently and have had April Come She Will in my head so I decided to figure out the chords.  Tough to resist the temptation to turn it into country folk.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Grandioso said:

Friday pron - Sporting Wood. Guitars with finishes that showcase interesting woods and grains.

Flamed Walnut

East Indian Walnut 

Burst over Spalted Maple 

Flamed Koa

Ziricote (never heard of it)

Reclaimed wood - so cool, it looks like it came right off of someone's old barn

Zebra Wood - this is a thing I guess

...apologies for the winded quote but the offset semi hollow hits my note bone.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HendrixMNTRY--fender-jimi-hendrix-monterey-stratocaster

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/099-6105-300--fender-pro-series-hardshell-case-for-stratocaster-and-telecaster-tweed

$919.99 all in 

19 left my rep said then they are out of stock! I’m going on without the wife’s approval on this one wish me luck

Edited by Bogeywon
  • Like 4

What choice do you have? Only 19 left. You can bet if they only had 19 pairs left of whatever shoes your wife wanted, she wouldn't consult you.
  • Like 1