The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

4 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

That is one nice guitar Deej. I have to get one of those in my stable.

It's for sale. Listed it at 1800, which is more than fair after looking at Reverb. I told him if one of you guys bought it, he's gonna get 1700. He was good with that.

Edited by Deej
  • Like 3

8fe8c6a2c02554e02217d062e83882bd.jpg

Replaced the original black pick guard with a white one. Contrasts the tobacco sunburst much better.

Also went to Austin Guitar House and played some boutique strats today.

5bc3cb2ec3d506cfaf7a78dab9c4a252.jpg

Played some Suhrs, a CP Thornton, and a Nash—ranging from $2400-$3000. Think I liked the CP Thornton the most, but honestly, my $700 Mexistrat feels just as good. Maybe that’s because I’m used to it. Maybe it’s because the 10s on my strat are more my sound than the 9s in the shop.

Need to test out a PRS Silver Sky soon too. Hoping to get a new strat-type guitar around March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Cashdaddyblumpkins
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Deej said:

It's for sale. Listed it at 1800, which is more than fair after looking at Reverb. I told him if one of you guys bought it, he's gonna get 1700. He was good with that.

I didn't need to see this today. 339 is one of the last pieces to the puzzle of life.

What say you.

Epiphone Century 1962 Cherry Red Vintage

We are both 62 models. But from Carter Vintage a couple of years ago. They got it from the family of the original owner.

https://reverb.com/item/31000722-epiphone-century-1962-cherry-red-vintage?_aid=pla&utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=31000722-epiphone-century-1962-cherry-red-vintage

More pics in link.

783eb4ff82887096ab205439e90a0f6d.jpg

14 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

The guy in the red jacket is Deke Dickerson. Buzz may remember the other guy's name. They were all great, but the best parts of the show were when it was just Horton Heat and his band. Especially when they covered "Ace of Spades". Close your eyes and Motorhead was on stage.

They did Ace of Spades!?  Funny, the drummer in our band used to play with Jim in a side project and they used to play that on occasion.  Such a great player and a great guy.  

They did Ace of Spades!?  Funny, the drummer in our band used to play with Jim in a side project and they used to play that on occasion.  Such a great player and a great guy.  
TBH, I'd only heard of him because he had a signature model Gretsch 6120 that I'd considered when I bought mine. I've been trying to see him for years but it never lined up until Buzz happened to in town. Glad it did.
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:
3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

TBH, I'd only heard of him because he had a signature model Gretsch 6120 that I'd considered when I bought mine. I've been trying to see him for years but it never lined up until Buzz happened to in town. Glad it did.

Yeah, score for you.  He's a good show.  

1 hour ago, hullabelew said:

Clip about string gauges.  Cool experiment and results.

Eh, I'm not so sure.  When they were tracking the parts, I felt like the 10's got tubbier sounding, but playback doesn't really tell me that's true.  There was a definite shift towards a more razor-like sound with 9's and 8's.

Here's a crazy idea:  play what feels good (for me, either 10's or 11's) and roll back ~ 80 Hz if the bass is too goofy.  Cutting is always preferable to boosting.  ("Always", LOL.)  I'd rather play in tune and with comfort than to make a wholesale change that takes me out of my comfort zone when a minor EQ tweak might solve whatever mud is happening because the bottom end is too big. 

When I was in high school, our jazz band won some contest where some hot shot Yamaha sponsored sax player was going to come give us a clinic.  That dude died a week before the clinic and the found a replacement.  The head of the guitar department at North Texas State.  I didn't know shit about jazz music, but I knew this guy was a big deal and I was likely in for a long day.  

He picked up my guitar, strummed it one time and said, "get rid of these damn rock-n-roll strings".  I likely had 8s on at the time.  I started playing 10s after that and have since that time. 

Also, going to have a NGD on Saturday.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

When I was in high school, our jazz band won some contest where some hot shot Yamaha sponsored sax player was going to come give us a clinic.  That dude died a week before the clinic and the found a replacement.  The head of the guitar department at North Texas State.  I didn't know shit about jazz music, but I knew this guy was a big deal and I was likely in for a long day.  

He picked up my guitar, strummed it one time and said, "get rid of these damn rock-n-roll strings".  I likely had 8s on at the time.  I started playing 10s after that and have since that time. 

Also, going to have a NGD on Saturday.  

I think you buried the lede here.