The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

58 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

When I was in high school, our jazz band won some contest where some hot shot Yamaha sponsored sax player was going to come give us a clinic.  That dude died a week before the clinic and the found a replacement.  The head of the guitar department at North Texas State.  I didn't know shit about jazz music, but I knew this guy was a big deal and I was likely in for a long day.  

He picked up my guitar, strummed it one time and said, "get rid of these damn rock-n-roll strings".  I likely had 8s on at the time.  I started playing 10s after that and have since that time. 

Also, going to have a NGD on Saturday.  

giphy.gif

In that test overall I liked 9s and 10s the best. 8s were good for some stuff, but a bit brittle sounding on some riffs. 9s had a good balance, 10s had nice tone. The 11s sounded really dark, probably great for stoner type heavy riffs. Of course it would probably sound different in person than a youtube, even if the mic job was pretty accurate.

I'll stick with 9s. Probably doesn't make much difference with how shitty I play.

Once upon a time I tried some 9.5s and kinda liked them, but got too lazy to find another set. Pretty good compromise.

I'm not sure about the guy saying 11s are the same as 10s tuned down a half step. Maybe in terms of slinkiness, but I doubt the sound would be the same.

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I play 10s. I played 11s without really thinking much beyond the cliched "Stevie Ray played heavy gauge strings!" and just got used to them, but 10s work out better now that I have enough guitars that I end up lending them out.

So, is this like the old Netflix business model where we have a que and when we send the current guitar in we receive the next one on the list? What is the subscription fee? I’m in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topochico said:

Reverb ad: Mint condition, never left my home studio, all case candy included, plastic still on the pick guard.......

This exactly! I don’t have a music room yet. I’m 3 years away from moving and making this room a reality. All 14 (that I have now probably more by then) will be hung on the wall. All signature models will have 8x10s framed with the guitarist playing that model next to the guitar. All amps and drums plugged in ready to play 

I rotate my guitars if I'm not using them for anything specifically-- if I want a specific sound or feel, then I know which one needs to come off the wall, otherwise it's just sort of an eenie meenie miney moe thing. They all get some love. 

I've been playing my longest-held electric, an HSS Strat w/a mild warp that prevents truss rod adjustment and thus has higher action than I like. A month ago I was trying to figure out how to get rid of it (I don't want to sell something that is "not broken but kinda defective", it's way too caveat emptor for my taste). Then I spent a few weeks playing it with the tone knobs dialed way back and the pickups split between the middle and humbucker and it sounds fucking cool. Not in a useful way, just in a funny quasi-metal kind of way.

How I'm s'posed to get rid of something that's still fun to play? Answer: I'm not, so I'm keeping it. I just gotta change the color. Fucking midnight wine. It might as well have an A&M sticker on it.

42 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I rotate my guitars if I'm not using them for anything specifically-- if I want a specific sound or feel, then I know which one needs to come off the wall, otherwise it's just sort of an eenie meenie miney moe thing. They all get some love. 

I've been playing my longest-held electric, an HSS Strat w/a mild warp that prevents truss rod adjustment and thus has higher action than I like. A month ago I was trying to figure out how to get rid of it (I don't want to sell something that is "not broken but kinda defective", it's way too caveat emptor for my taste). Then I spent a few weeks playing it with the tone knobs dialed way back and the pickups split between the middle and humbucker and it sounds fucking cool. Not in a useful way, just in a funny quasi-metal kind of way.

How I'm s'posed to get rid of something that's still fun to play? Answer: I'm not, so I'm keeping it. I just gotta change the color. Fucking midnight wine. It might as well have an A&M sticker on it.

I have a near mint midnight wine SSS 90s USA strat that I bought from a friend that needed money to buy another guitar. His house where he showed it to me is sort of dark and I have some red deficiency in really dark or light shades or shitty light, and I would have sworn it was a black strat when I bought it. Didn't know until I got it home and saw it under bright light.

I still would have bought it though, because at $400 bones it was too good a deal to pass up. But it rarely sees the light of day. Every time I see it I think "aggy." I keep thinking I'll use it for a trade towards something really cool someday.

Swap out the neck?

15 hours ago, DougO said:

I have a near mint midnight wine SSS 90s USA strat that I bought from a friend that needed money to buy another guitar. His house where he showed it to me is sort of dark and I have some red deficiency in really dark or light shades or shitty light, and I would have sworn it was a black strat when I bought it. Didn't know until I got it home and saw it under bright light.

I still would have bought it though, because at $400 bones it was too good a deal to pass up. But it rarely sees the light of day. Every time I see it I think "aggy." I keep thinking I'll use it for a trade towards something really cool someday.

For $400 bones, you could probably strip it down and paint it.  I'll let you guess what kind of paint job we'd all like to see.

• Like 3

Gretsch Electrics Guitars: G6120SH Brian Setzer Hot Rod Electric Guitar

$1699
$2,699.99
& More + Free S&H
+19 Deal Score
6,556 Views 15 Comments
Adorama has select Gretsch Electrics Guitars on sale from $1399. Shipping is free. Thanks iconian The following is no longer available
  • Like 1

I would love to have a Setzer or other high end Gretsch, but that's out of my league. I hardly even touch the Korean Electromatic I have as it is.

They have that model on sale again too, for $450, cheaper than I payed. I got a message from a guy on Slickdeals that said the newer ones are coming with made in China stamps on them, so I feel a bit better about paying $100 more when I got mine. I guess that's the chink in the armor.

Gretsch G5622T Electromatic Center Block Double Cutaway Guitar (Various)

$449
$899.99
+ Free Shipping
+21 Deal Score
6,179 Views 9 Comments
Adorama.com has Gretsch G5622T Electromatic Center Block Double Cutaway Guitar (Various) on sale for $449. Shipping is free. Thanks iconian

Available Colors:

Edited by DougO

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

For $400 bones, you could probably strip it down and paint it.  I'll let you guess what kind of paint job we'd all like to see.

I'm not sure I could deface a USA Strat for one of my primitive designs, even for aggy. I need to do another guitar, though.

How does this work DougO. Being a Gretsch hound I followed your link. In the bottom I see a deal for the double cut jet I've been drooling for lately with a price attractive enough to trigger a strike. But when I click it the price goes up to $2,599, even after putting it in the cart. I may need to call. I still love that Butterscotch Tele that y'all pointed me to at Adorama a few years back.

3b67e8d1a346830b0fabd52285c53e7e.jpg

Edit - on the phone now. Looks like we'll have a new guitar day soon!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Incoming!

I've had my sights on this for years. Being a huge AC/DC - Malcolm Young fan my entire life, I've always wanted a good Double Cut Jet. The ones they have offered over the years have been either Malcolm signature relics, which I dont care for, or have had some other feature added or missing I wasnt crazy about.

I've wanted this one since it was released but couldnt justify that pricetag having 2 guitars already covering the same base.177d251a973b905c58fdbf8c9e53a383.jpg

Evidently I bought the last one. Went back to the page and got this message.

Thanks DougO, I owe you one

cbc7bff3ebe55256d59e1fe3a5552b0d.jpg

Congrats :)

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

How does this work DougO. Being a Gretsch hound I followed your link. In the bottom I see a deal for the double cut jet I've been drooling for lately with a price attractive enough to trigger a strike. But when I click it the price goes up to $2,599, even after putting it in the cart. I may need to call. I still love that Butterscotch Tele that y'all pointed me to at Adorama a few years back.

3b67e8d1a346830b0fabd52285c53e7e.jpg

Edit - on the phone now. Looks like we'll have a new guitar day soon!

I think you have to go through the link from slickdeals. Here is the deal notification and thread. Click on the link provided for the model you want. It should give you the deal price.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13843469-gretsch-electrics-guitars-g6120sh-brian-setzer-hot-rod-electric-guitar-1699-more-free-s-h?src=frontpage

On 2/6/2020 at 12:12 AM, AnotherUTFan said:
On 2/5/2020 at 9:38 PM, jimmyjazz said:
I can set you up with a ~ 1980 100 watt head.  My buddy has owned it since HS and wants to sell it.

Details?

Unknown at the moment.  He's on the road in an oil patch right now.  He says mid-70's 100 watt Mark II, believes it's all original.  He'll get serial number, etc. when he gets back home.

22 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Incoming!

I've had my sights on this for years. Being a huge AC/DC - Malcolm Young fan my entire life, I've always wanted a good Double Cut Jet. The ones they have offered over the years have been either Malcolm signature relics, which I dont care for, or have had some other feature added or missing I wasnt crazy about.

I've wanted this one since it was released but couldnt justify that pricetag having 2 guitars already covering the same base.177d251a973b905c58fdbf8c9e53a383.jpg

Evidently I bought the last one. Went back to the page and got this message.

Thanks DougO, I owe you one

cbc7bff3ebe55256d59e1fe3a5552b0d.jpg

This is gonna be badass. Congrats AUTF! Can’t wait. 

• Like 1