The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

A friend of mine was looking at a Fiesta Red worn 50s thing recently and picked it because it had better hardware and USA pickups, or some such thing about better features. But the one he ordered turned out to be already taken and was the last one in the store's stock, and they are out of production.

I typically don't go for red stuff, but Fiesta red has a nice look. Surf green is cool, too, but I'm not that crazy about the newer designs.

tscmvt7bpw35thhshqib.jpg

This is a pretty nice 335.  

https://reverb.com/item/27516248-gibson-vintage-1961-es-335td-sunburst-shipping-included

But for $20k, I could build a lot of Warmoth guitars.  Which, I was thinking recently, I pick up my parts casters more frequently than most any of my other guitars (excluding gigging basses).

Anyhow, passing thoughts.

• Like 2

I've been giving myself headaches trying to find a fairly simple drum machine or some such thing to jam along with. I would like to be able to create my own grooves to play along with and vary the speeds. Thought about just finding a deal on an Alesis SR16 or SR18, but I'm not sure I would stick with it through the learning curve. The Digitech SDRUM seems intriguing, but I have serous doubts. The online drumbit/drumbot stuff seems too limited ot get it to do what I would like it to do, then you have to store it and play it on something.

Any of y'all use some kind of gizmo that is fairly painless and not out of reach for the poors?

I thought I had an old Zoom Rhythmtrak machine stashed away but I must have loaned it out permanently. Can't find it anywhere.

I've had and used an SR-16 since high school. The learning curve is never steep, and if you want, you can just roll with the standard patterns and fills to back you - Start/stop kind of stuff. If you have a simple footswitch laying around, you can use it to switch A/B patterns in real time like how Billy Corgan did in the early Smashing Pumpkins days (he just sold that actual SR-16 he used on Gish on Reverb a few years ago). It's surprisingly easy to get a good and inspiring backing drum track with that thing. And they are popular enough that you don't have to look far for a used one, and cheap too.

Also, don't discount YouTube backing tracks.

Edited by BoomMF
  • Like 1

Today I stopped by a shop down in San Jose that is always loaded with extremely rare vintage guitars for the Silicon Valley tech billionaire market. They did not disappoint.

A small section of Gretsches, including a couple Steven Stern Masterbuilt Jets and a Malcolm Young Signature. What caught my attention was an original 1957 6121Chet Atkins complete with G brand and original D'Armond single coils.

Probably a $15-20k guitar if not for an ugly neck repair.

I played it for a bit and it was smooth as butter. As ugly as the repair looks, it was solid and the action was incredible. I like fat necks, but this had a very comfortable and fast petite one. The finish has aged incredibly and looked every bit of 62 years old. It was light as a feather and resonated like you wouldn't believe. I was tempted to make an offer against the $4k asking price when they asked if I wanted to plug it in. I said, no because of the single coils; but honestly I said no because I was afraid I'd walk out with it if I had.

I'll be thinking about this one for a while.

On the plus side, UPS says tomorrow is New Gretsch Day with that Double Cut Jet. Itll be a frustrating one with a drive to Sacramento during the day followed by a Violent Femmes show at night.

And I'm in the dumps because our bass player informed me that she'll be leaving after our last scheduled show in April to focus more on her writing. She says she's still here to co-write with me and sit in sometimes, but I can't tell you how devastated I am. d84de00f77b9f042f76ec4e50b1db517.jpg0b371abb15aa41aedc4dde12579daa88.jpgb8132275063b6c136fe62fb5c86320b6.jpgaa85a23f1f66661fd048e2b9468476b0.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

tscmvt7bpw35thhshqib.jpg

This is a pretty nice 335.  

https://reverb.com/item/27516248-gibson-vintage-1961-es-335td-sunburst-shipping-included

But for $20k, I could build a lot of Warmoth guitars.  Which, I was thinking recently, I pick up my parts casters more frequently than most any of my other guitars (excluding gigging basses).

Anyhow, passing thoughts.

Yeah, need a pic of both the electronics (looking for bumblebee capacitors) and pick ups (PAF stickers only or don’t bother with it). 

On 2/12/2020 at 6:39 PM, BoomMF said:

I've had and used an SR-16 since high school. The learning curve is never steep, and if you want, you can just roll with the standard patterns and fills to back you - Start/stop kind of stuff. If you have a simple footswitch laying around, you can use it to switch A/B patterns in real time like how Billy Corgan did in the early Smashing Pumpkins days (he just sold that actual SR-16 he used on Gish on Reverb a few years ago). It's surprisingly easy to get a good and inspiring backing drum track with that thing. And they are popular enough that you don't have to look far for a used one, and cheap too.

Also, don't discount YouTube backing tracks.

Amazon Warehouse is offering 20% off on many clearance and used items, so I found an SR-16 listed "like new in original packaging" and ordered it. I had $50 worth of leftover gift cards to burn so I ended up ordering it for $56 out of pocket. Not too bad. I thought about springing for the SR-18 with the bass track, but they weren't on sale and almost twice the price. I need to play my own bass anyway.

Is there a site to load full patterns for popular songs for the rare occasion I want to work on a cover I'm already sick of hearing on classic rock radio? I haven't been able to scare up much in that regard so far. I know I can download backing tracks all day long, but I would like to be able to slow them down and maybe modify them a bit.

Edited by DougO

New guitar day!

Somehow it shipped from about 5 miles from here, Adarama is in New York???? Its brand new in a Gretsch box that's never been opened, but has a 2017 mfg date. Wierd.

Flawless on 1st inspection, wont get to plug it into anything until tomorrow.

Stunning to look at.

a3e0f414653f5662b908416601b433f9.jpgdf97d1338898b3dd7896b97211106b65.jpg3f41cfac985c7fdc9f9a80035441561c.jpga2d17baefb8e9b202643e4f7f2936f95.jpg5c189fc5d5503419e79d18d3833d4d61.jpgeffb54c3463b82023e7e1f7d93ee54ee.jpg00f05f44afbed8cdf7ab752a8a55ae54.jpg4164596552e350e675eeea427855283b.jpg

Hell yeah, nice!

Another nice deal from Adoram a through slickdeals.

Fender American Performer Stratocaster or Telecaster Electric Guitars $749 each + free s/h

$749.00
+10 Deal Score
1,612 Views 19 Comments
Fender American Performer Stratocaster [adorama.com] or Telecaster [adorama.com] Electric Guitars $749 each + free s/h w/ coupon code PRESIDENTS

I wonder how many Fender guitars there are in the world at this point. It’s amazing to me that they keep selling like they do since they essentially never wear out.

I have thought about this many many times. How can they still sell when nearly every closet in the world must contain a Strat by now? The world wonders.

Today I stopped by a shop down in San Jose that is always loaded with extremely rare vintage guitars for the Silicon Valley tech billionaire market. They did not disappoint.

A small section of Gretsches, including a couple Steven Stern Masterbuilt Jets and a Malcolm Young Signature. What caught my attention was an original 1957 6121Chet Atkins complete with G brand and original D'Armond single coils.

Probably a $15-20k guitar if not for an ugly neck repair.

I played it for a bit and it was smooth as butter. As ugly as the repair looks, it was solid and the action was incredible. I like fat necks, but this had a very comfortable and fast petite one. The finish has aged incredibly and looked every bit of 62 years old. It was light as a feather and resonated like you wouldn't believe. I was tempted to make an offer against the $4k asking price when they asked if I wanted to plug it in. I said, no because of the single coils; but honestly I said no because I was afraid I'd walk out with it if I had.

I'll be thinking about this one for a while.

On the plus side, UPS says tomorrow is New Gretsch Day with that Double Cut Jet. Itll be a frustrating one with a drive to Sacramento during the day followed by a Violent Femmes show at night.

And I'm in the dumps because our bass player informed me that she'll be leaving after our last scheduled show in April to focus more on her writing. She says she's still here to co-write with me and sit in sometimes, but I can't tell you how devastated I am.

Damn, that sucks that she is leaving. I really like her style and sound.

How much are they asking for that 57?

Plus, we got a new guitar! I love our new Gretsch!

Anyone have much experience with a Jazzmaster? Played one at Austin Vintage Guitars this past weekend and hit it off with a 60th anniversary '58 vintage reissue:

Image result for american jazzmaster '58 reissue

Never considered owning an offset guitar until I played this guy. Loved the flat single coil pups and rythym/lead switch at the top--even if it's a bit gimmicky. Would be a nice compliment to my strat. Should have a NGD in the next month, whether it's a Jazzmaster or another strat...

Edited by Cashdaddyblumpkins
  • Like 4

That’s why I bought mine!

It does the work.

It was cheap and I bought it used immediately after getting my first postgrad paycheck. For the record, I use it for all the alternate tunings.

But if it had been just for one song (that I’ve never played in a band context) I’d still be glad I bought it.

Anyone have much experience with a Jazzmaster? Played one at Austin Vintage Guitars this past weekend and hit it off with a 60th anniversary '58 vintage reissue:
Ltd-60th-Anniversary-58-Jazzmaster-Burst-US17029182-front-close.jpg?v=1522440009

Never considered owning an offset guitar until I played this guy. Loved the flat single coil pups and rythym/lead switch at the top--even if it's a bit gimmicky. Would be a nice compliment to my strat. Should have a NGD in the next month, whether it's a Jazzmaster or another strat...

Do it!!

That thing is beautiful!
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cashdaddyblumpkins said:

Image result for american jazzmaster '58 reissue

Not a single person on this thread would encourage you to buy that guitar. We would demand you buy it. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

It was cheap and I bought it used immediately after getting my first postgrad paycheck. For the record, I use it for all the alternate tunings.

But if it had been just for one song (that I’ve never played in a band context) I’d still be glad I bought it.

They are fun guitars. Much greater than the sum of their parts. Dirt cheap, too.