The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

41 minutes ago, Deej said:

New Dano needs 10's. Never filed down an aluminum nut before.

CSB, my first guitar was a 1968 Danelectro Silvertone.  When I was 13 my best friends brother had thrown it in the trash.  I dug it out and restrung it. Played it for a year and realized why he had thrown it out.  😂  action on it hurt like hell.  It was this exact model.

spacer.png

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Lurk a lot, not much to post other than liking other peoples' stuff.  Although my wife got a notion about a month ago to learn to play bass (my son plays), so there might be some new equipment in the future.  Kinda disconcerting to come home in the evening and see hear a middle-aged woman playing Nirvana bass lines upstairs.  😂

First thought after reading this.  As a middle aged woman, I should buy a bass.  Nirvana lurks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

CSB, my first guitar was a 1968 Danelectro Silvertone.  When I was 13 my best friends brother had thrown it in the trash.  I dug it out and restrung it. Played it for a year and realized why he had thrown it out.  😂  action on it hurt like hell.  It was this exact model.

spacer.png

https://reverb.com/item/5918535-danelectro-silvertone-1451-amp-in-case-1966-black-single-lipstick-pickup-w-same-day-shipping

The price on this surprises me, given what a dog these guitars are.  Of course, it's the only one for sale, so they have the market cornered.

3 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Here they are, my family of Gretsches.

1958 Anniversary with original "PAF" Filtertron

2017 G6121T-62 Double Cut Jet

2007 G6120-1959LTV Chet Atkins

2011 G6199 "Billy-Bo" Jupiter Thunderbird limited run

Note the 3 different bridges matched with the V-cut Bigsbys. I think I like the bar bridge on the orange one best. The space control bridge on the jet is similar to the original one on the Anny, but more comfortable to play.

Obviously I need a White Flacon and a Roundup to complete this collection.

And I was tempted to include the V since it sounds as awesome as a Gretsch now that it has the Filtertrons installed.e3859c402f885b06e2c9942c47938965.jpg

Nice guitars.  Who was cutting coke on the floor?

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Here they are, my family of Gretsches.

1958 Anniversary with original "PAF" Filtertron

2017 G6121T-62 Double Cut Jet

2007 G6120-1959LTV Chet Atkins

2011 G6199 "Billy-Bo" Jupiter Thunderbird limited run

Note the 3 different bridges matched with the V-cut Bigsbys. I think I like the bar bridge on the orange one best. The space control bridge on the jet is similar to the original one on the Anny, but more comfortable to play.

Obviously I need a White Flacon and a Roundup to complete this collection.

And I was tempted to include the V since it sounds as awesome as a Gretsch now that it has the Filtertrons installed.e3859c402f885b06e2c9942c47938965.jpg

That is badass.  Man I need a Gretsch, too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

https://reverb.com/item/5918535-danelectro-silvertone-1451-amp-in-case-1966-black-single-lipstick-pickup-w-same-day-shipping

The price on this surprises me, given what a dog these guitars are.  Of course, it's the only one for sale, so they have the market cornered.

What’s funniest to me about that whole dog guitar thing is, I had an aversion to ever picking up a Rickenbacker after that.  The whole head stock and style screamed pain.  

On 2/20/2020 at 10:36 PM, tigol said:

First thought after reading this.  As a middle aged woman, I should buy a bass.  Nirvana lurks.

More bass is always better. Can I be an honorary member of the middle aged woman's Nirvana bass club? I'll go start pulling some Heart Shaped Box and Smells Like Teen Spirit tabs. 

What’s funniest to me about that whole dog guitar thing is, I had an aversion to ever picking up a Rickenbacker after that.  The whole head stock and style screamed pain.  

Traumatized, the new fragrance by Danelectro.

Being put off hand built, quality guitars only because of the headstock says something.

I wonder how many nascent guitar players’ dreams were crushed by these guitars? Looking over in the corner and thinking, “Nah. You’re not going to eat my fingers today Silvertone!” Sad.

I never met him, but when his videos 1st took off I worked with, and was friends with, a neighbor of his who knew him well.

She said he had been a school teacher and got laid off in some budget cuts, the music was his side gig. One moment he was on the verge of losing his house, the next there were 2 new BMW's in the driveway. Hell of a success story for who seems to be a very good dude.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Doesn’t everyone?

Valid point is valid.  A buddy found a Mexican mahogany Thinline at a pawn shop for $75.  Had a setup done on it and the luthier said it was the best pawn shop find he had seen.  .  I NEVER find a guitar worth a shit at a pawn shop, but I've been stopping by this one on regular basis.  

1 minute ago, hullabelew said:

Valid point is valid.  A buddy found a Mexican mahogany Thinline at a pawn shop for $75.  Had a setup done on it and the luthier said it was the best pawn shop find he had seen.  .  I NEVER find a guitar worth a shit at a pawn shop, but I've been stopping by this one on regular basis.  

Man, that's a good deal.  Most pawn shop owners have interwebz these days.

5 minutes ago, Goredho said:

The PRS pickups in that vid did not impress me.  They sounded flat and sorta lifeless.  I thought the gold foils were really interesting in a "I don't have a guitar that sounds like that" sort of way.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but I pretty much think only one person should play a PRS.  David Grissom *.

* Exception to anyone on here........... especially Buzz and the purple beast he has.  Damn, that thing is pretty.  

Edited by hullabelew

6 hours ago, hullabelew said:

I'm sure there are exceptions, but I pretty much think only one person should play a PRS.  David Grissom *.

* Exception to anyone on here........... especially Buzz and the purple beast he has.  Damn, that thing is pretty.  

I have no interest in buying another one, but I have a PRS exception guitar.

1999 McCarty HBII 10-top.

ae7b-Tfh1h-A7wjh9ql-RVks-Tm-KWjhno-Bx-QF

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Cashdaddyblumpkins said:

https://reverb.com/item/10710457-fender-60th-anniversary-58-jazzmaster-2018

Just ordered a Jazzmaster '58 VRI 60th anniversary special edition. Should have NGD by next Monday at the latest. Hoping for Friday, though. Excited to share with y'all.

I've been looking real hard at those.  They look like great instruments.  Congrats!  Can't wait to see it in! 

12 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I've been looking real hard at those.  They look like great instruments.  Congrats!  Can't wait to see it in! 

Thanks man! Never considered a Jazzmaster until I played this model at Austin Vintage Guitars a few weeks ago and haven't stopped thinking about it since. The 7.25 radius will take some getting used to. Also getting it shipped with 11s, which I've never tried. Can't wait to try it out with my own amp and pedals.

Not trying to threadjack but not worth a separate thread.

How much should I play for private guitar lessons/Dallas?  

In my opinion the guy is really really terrific, and I know him pretty well.  He's kind of in demand, however.  I'm probably happy to pay on the high end, but not sure what high end is.

12 minutes ago, Deej said:

It won't take long to get used to the 7.25 radius. I have a few and don't even notice the difference anymore. 

I'm probably overthinking it. Not sure I'd notice if I weren't told.

10 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

Beautiful guitar cashdad.....you're right about the sound

I found that video while doing research and have watched it ~5 times now. That guy is great and the '58 reissue compliments his style well.

Side note and CSB time: while at Austin Vintage I was picking the brains of one of the salesmen. Went home and started looking up Jazzmaster vids on YouTube and found a Fender interview of the salesmen I had been speaking to. That's when I realized he was Kyle Hunt of the Black Angels, if any of y'all listen to them. Exceptionally nice guy.

Edited by Cashdaddyblumpkins
  • Like 3

7.25" radius boards are really comfortable.  My AV 64 Tele has one, and I love it.  It definitely will fret out if I do a hard bend up high.  But for the most part, I'm careful how I finger those bends and can keep the note ringing.

In other tele news, I picked up a used set of Fender CS '51 Nocaster pickups to replace the twisted tele set that came with my 52 AV Tele.  I've never loved the twisted teles and never have understood why Wildwood spec'd the "Thin Skin" version of the 52 Tele with them. 

• Like 1