The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I like to say “Is that a Neve?” when looking at a console. It’s not the same thing as squinting at a Southwest jet in the sky and saying “that’s a... Boeing 737”, but as long as the other person doesn’t know anything it could make you sound smart.

• Like 3

Nice.  Can't wait to hear what y'all come up with.
For reasons I dont need to go into, we only recorded 2 full songs and a few other drum tracks in that studio with that engineer and console. The other 7 or 8 songs will be with a different engineer in a makeshift studio in my apartment above the bar

I think we are going to press the 2 songs from the studio onto 7" vinyl and everything else will be digital.

My bedroom for the next couple weeks.

85f9edceee8f8788a70808e885beb61b.jpg798ae6536f3666b8667bea7ebefdf609.jpg
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, AnotherUTFan said:

For reasons I dont need to go into, we only recorded 2 full songs and a few other drum tracks in that studio with that engineer and console. The other 7 or 8 songs will be with a different engineer in a makeshift studio in my apartment above the bar

I think we are going to press the 2 songs from the studio onto 7" vinyl and everything else will be digital.

In for a copy of the first vinyl run. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Lol, neighbors be pissed. 

• Like 1

As you get closer, it has the checking you’d expect to see. And on the neck it has some nicks where it looks like someone bit it. But it plays really nicely. It has a pretty narrow neck though. After jumping off the bass to mess around with it, I found my fingers bumping into each other.

He cranked the Supro and rolled back the guitar volume and got some very nice overdriven tones. I was surprised it didn’t feedback. But it’s pure 50s tone. You could go from jazz to rockabilly to pure rock with it.

Given the 295 is essentially just a gold 175, that came as no surprise. But even if you expect it, hearing it in the practice room was something else. I was having sonic flashbacks of Les Paul and early James Burton, etc.

• Like 3

On 2/29/2020 at 1:20 PM, Deej said:

Yes. Dummies even come lay down next to the amps as long as they aren't cranked too loud.

My dogs do that too.  Lay right next to the amps.  The deaf one especially loves it.  Even when I just pick up an acoustic, they lay right at my feet.   

• Like 3

So I’ve had noticeable wrist pain the past few days. I had similar pain a few months back when I started playing again, which was probably soreness at the time. Now that it’s back after I’ve been playing 2-3 hours a day the past few months, I’m pretty sure it’s tendinitis, especially with the complex chords I’ve been playing. I’ve also been bad about warming up/taking breaks/stretching. Really hurts when I try any wrist flexion stretches, like this:

8e7fdd298b7d00277925cbdb419b5455.jpg

The pain is localized on the back of my hand, where the tendons meet the wrist—hence the tendinitis. Played for 5 minutes today and it didn’t hurt at all with good form. But I can feel the pain if I’m doing a push up or supporting my weight with my left wrist. Really don’t want to go to the doc but might have to. Anyone have a doctor in Austin or any advice?

1 hour ago, Cashdaddyblumpkins said:

So I’ve had noticeable wrist pain the past few days. I had similar pain a few months back when I started playing again, which was probably soreness at the time. Now that it’s back after I’ve been playing 2-3 hours a day the past few months, I’m pretty sure it’s tendinitis, especially with the complex chords I’ve been playing. I’ve also been bad about warming up/taking breaks/stretching. Really hurts when I try any wrist flexion stretches, like this:

The pain is localized on the back of my hand, where the tendons meet the wrist—hence the tendinitis. Played for 5 minutes today and it didn’t hurt at all with good form. But I can feel the pain if I’m doing a push up or supporting my weight with my left wrist. Really don’t want to go to the doc but might have to. Anyone have a doctor in Austin or any advice?

Why in the name of T-Bone Walker are you doing a push-up?     

On 3/5/2020 at 11:50 AM, Cashdaddyblumpkins said:

My advice would be to not worry about looking cool and play with the headstock up higher, eliminating a lot of the wrist bending strain. But that's just me, and I'm not that good.

16 hours ago, DougO said:

My advice would be to not worry about looking cool and play with the headstock up higher, eliminating a lot of the wrist bending strain. But that's just me, and I'm not that good.

I play with it pretty high up as is. I think my problem has been unnecessarily-complicated chord voicings married with 11s that have made me push down on the strings a bit too hard. After not playing for the past week it actually feels a lot better now. Moving forward I'll try to take breaks every 45 minutes instead of playing three hours straight.

It's not a bad situation.

I'm thinking about making it our full time rehearsal space after the recording sessions.

After the fact I was told by the bartender that she had people come in off the street while we were recording asking about us. She referred them to our Instagram and we picked up a couple followers. We are way louder to people on the street than we are to the folks down in the bar. There's a bus stop just outside the window where the drums are. Not a bad marketing ploy.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

It's not a bad situation.

I'm thinking about making it our full time rehearsal space after the recording sessions.

After the fact I was told by the bartender that she had people come in off the street while we were recording asking about us. She referred them to our Instagram and we picked up a couple followers. We are way louder to people on the street than we are to the folks down in the bar. There's a bus stop just outside the window where the drums are. Not a bad marketing ploy.

I'm not usually one to rep posts without pics, but you're living the dream man.  Have some rep.

• Like 1

You'll have to come by if you're ever in San Francisco Mr Fuck. Buzz did, we had a good time.

You other assholes too, we have a jam space! Between the bar downstairs, the traffic and buses on Mission St, and the Fire Station a few blocks away, nobody gives a fuck how much noise we make.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

You'll have to come by if you're ever in San Francisco Mr Fuck. Buzz did, we had a good time.

You other assholes too, we have a jam space! Between the bar downstairs, the traffic and buses on Mission St, and the Fire Station a few blocks away, nobody gives a fuck how much noise we make.

Next time I'm in SF, I'll definitely drop you a line.  

• Like 2