The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I'm gonna cross post this from the drum forum thread, but Lone Star Percussion is having a 50% off sale on demos and clearance items with code "discountsquared"

Sale ends at 5pm CST

http://www.lonestarpercussion.com/#/~search/page/1/view/listView/allAttributes/Ways-to-Save:Clearance;Ways-to-Save:Used;Ways-to-Save:Demo

A Gretsch 4 Piece Shell Pack MSRP $5389, normal price $4342. With the discount it is:  $2479.85 including tax and shipping

cymbals, shell packs, accessories etc

Edited by topochico

I called -- with any 100 or 200 series guitar, you get a Baby Taylor for $99.  With any 300 series or above, you get a GS Mini for $99.  Your choice on which particular instrument within those two lines, so some have higher price than others, it's still $99.

The GS Mini might be worth looking at.  Some are close to $1K MRSP.  Not American made, but allegedly higher quality that the Baby models.  (I've owned 2 Baby Taylors and haven't been blown away by their sound, for likely obvious reasons, they're like a large ukelele.)

Don’t know if I need a BOGO deal on a Taylor. But in news I think I inadvertently left out of the discussion here, I’m supposed to be getting my 2003 810CE back this week or next week from the Taylor factory. I sent it in to get the shitty expression 1 system upgraded to the supposedly significantly less shitty expression 2 system.

So I got that going for me. Which is nice.

I miss that guitar. It plays like butter.

• Like 2

Speaking of shows, our last one was canceled cause everyplace is closed and next one probably will be too. Our drummer is moving at the end of April, so that means we've probably played our last.

On the plus side, my partner gave me free reign of the bar downstairs, and the draft, beer since its closed anyway. That's like a childhood dream come true.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Don’t know if I need a BOGO deal on a Taylor. But in news I think I inadvertently left out of the discussion here, I’m supposed to be getting my 2003 810CE back this week or next week from the Taylor factory. I sent it in to get the shitty expression 1 system upgraded to the supposedly significantly less shitty expression 2 system.

So I got that going for me. Which is nice.

I miss that guitar. It plays like butter.

You did mention that. I’m curious about the results.

Speaking of shows, our last one was canceled cause everyplace is closed and next one probably will be too. Our drummer is moving at the end of April, so that means we've probably played our last.

On the plus side, my partner gave me free reign of the bar downstairs, and the draft, beer since its closed anyway. That's like a childhood dream come true.

Do you have access to the bloody marys?

4b2ce9ce7b70a95ca613b008749273b3.jpg

Us too. 2 shows, a wedding and a PTA auction. All cancelled/postponed.

I have built lots of bolt-on guitars in my life, but I never did a set-neck.  I thought I'd try my hand at it, so I grabbed a Les Paul Jr. kit from Stew-Mac.  I was surprised at the quality of the wood - much better than I expected.  They advertise these things as really, really simple to build, but I had to take a little more care with mine on the neck joint.  Since that's what really determines how the thing is going to play, it was time well spent.  Ultimately, I'm really happy with the result.  I'll probably do another build in the future, maybe a 335-type since I don't have one of those.  Anyway, here's a pic.

spacer.png

• Like 2

I have built lots of bolt-on guitars in my life, but I never did a set-neck.  I thought I'd try my hand at it, so I grabbed a Les Paul Jr. kit from Stew-Mac.  I was surprised at the quality of the wood - much better than I expected.  They advertise these things as really, really simple to build, but I had to take a little more care with mine on the neck joint.  Since that's what really determines how the thing is going to play, it was time well spent.  Ultimately, I'm really happy with the result.  I'll probably do another build in the future, maybe a 335-type since I don't have one of those.  Anyway, here's a pic.

27HR1Xu.jpg

This is awesome. Thanks.
In this vein, seriously check this link out re Buck and Don's original sparkle Teles.  Very cool.
http://chasingguitars.com/buck-owensdon-rich-sparkle-tribute-telecaster/
If you're ever in Bakersfield you can visit Buck Owen's Christal Palace; restaraunt/bar/music venue/Buck Owen's museum.

Most of Buck's original guitars and stage outfits are on display there. There a red/white/blue sparkle Tele there that Leo personally built for him and was one of the last things her ever built.

Good stuff there man.
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Mudcat35 said:

spacer.png

Can't see the pic?

Learn how to make a damn Bloody Mary. You are in Georgia for crissakes. 
26F0D25E00000578-3008978-image-m-6_1427188574043.jpg

I don’t really think of bloodys as a Georgia “thing”. That looks like a Vegas bloody to me. The Midwest definitely seems to have more of a handle on “crazy bloody marys“ based on my frequent trips to Chicago.

I myself am more of a screwdriver man when it comes to morning drinking. But to each his own.

Now please carry on with the pron. I’ll offer up this Aristedes Tele:

78672667_780865569052964_7794499055278620672_n.jpg
  • Like 2

Very cool Mudcat! A buddy just built a Stew-Mac Tele:

253b6c1a73f90407e96c25c046d46004.jpg
Buzz,what's the scoop on that red Gretsch? It has a Gretsch pickguard, Gretsch Bigsby, and Filtertons; but otherwise it's the most non-Grestsch looking Gretsch I've ever seen.

I'm guessing one of those late 90's models when they were 1st bringing the brand back, but had no idea what they were supposed to look like. Like Celeryman's 6120 with the florentine cutaway.

Buzz,what's the scoop on that red Gretsch? It has a Gretsch pickguard, Gretsch Bigsby, and Filtertons; but otherwise it's the most non-Grestsch looking Gretsch I've ever seen.

I'm guessing one of those late 90's models when they were 1st bringing the brand back, but had no idea what they were supposed to look like. Like Celeryman's 6120 with the florentine cutaway.

It was given to my friend by his friend’s wife after he died. He thinks it’s a Super Chet. Used to belong to a pro who played with some national acts.
  • Like 4

Okay, I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a custom-order Warmoth.  Any advice from you guys who have traveled that road?  Jimmyjazz?

What I'm thinking of:

Body - semi-hollow

Pickups - P90.  Maybe the Fralin noiseless P90

Neck - I'm a maple fretboard guy.  And the best neck I've ever played is the compound radius on the new Fender Elite series

This is where I'm at (except the pick guard in the Warmoth representation is covering the route for the bridge pickup and part of the F hole)

Screen-Shot-2020-03-25-at-11-16-09-PM.pn 

• Like 2

Wow.  That Aristides T/0 is stunning.  I'm not usually a fan of riffs on classic body styles, but that little scoop near the top of the pickguard really adds some flavor.

That’s the key. There is no pick guard but that indentation suggests it. Keeps the classic lines without adding any plastic and keeping a clean look. That’s first rate industrial design right there.

Okay, I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a custom-order Warmoth.  Any advice from you guys who have traveled that road?  Jimmyjazz?
What I'm thinking of:
Body - semi-hollow
Pickups - P90.  Maybe the Fralin noiseless P90
Neck - I'm a maple fretboard guy.  And the best neck I've ever played is the compound radius on the new Fender Elite series
This is where I'm at (except the pick guard in the Warmoth representation is covering the route for the bridge pickup and part of the F hole)
Screen-Shot-2020-03-25-at-11-16-09-PM.png 

Think about it. Think about it again. Then pull the trigger. My 2 Warmoth projects are currently #1 and #2 in my stable. You’ve all seen them before but here they are again because I have nothing new to post.

f5b784ce0c28001cd60afc574778aae6.jpg
  • Like 5

It was given to my friend by his friend’s wife after he died. He thinks it’s a Super Chet. Used to belong to a pro who played with some national acts.

Definitely a Super Chet. Definitely a RI.

The original had a bunch of knobs on the pick guard. Pure 70s on those.