The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

On 3/26/2020 at 12:11 PM, Goredho said:

You guys are going to get me to forego the Fender custom shop red sparkle tele at Wildwood and get my guitar tech to build a red glitter hotrod tele from Warmoth.  How do you make an educated choice on things like pickups and the like?  There are a lot of options that I don't know how to choose the better of for the tone I'm after.

Screen-Shot-2020-03-26-at-9-53-56-AM.png

Damnit, now I am looking at heavy metal flake basses. Fuck this thread. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What would be the main difference in sound between a TelePaul and the real thing?  Would the slightly longer scale on the Tele affect tone?  

Would it be possible to jam actual Gibson electronics and switches in there?

My curiosity is piqued.

Well, Fender kinda did that with this one back in the 70s.  I think if you had a mahogany Tele, you could probably get pretty close.  

il_570xN.1499873607_h1ro.jpg

er_Telecaster_Deluxe

Somehow this popped into my feed.  Not sure about the inlays or the finish, but the general "turn my Fender into an LP" gist is there:

preview.jpg

The Uptown Strat was designed to provide LP-style tone and good looks with the signature Stratocaster feel and simplicity. For a warm and resonant tone, a mahogany slab body is mated to a one-piece mahogany neck with a traditional ’60s "C" neck profile. Meanwhile, the 2-point tremolo bridge enables playing possibilities such as subtle vibrato or massive dive bombs. Unlike most of its Fender-designed siblings, the Uptown Strat has a shortened 24.75" scale length that makes the strings feel a little softer and more slinky than usual. Finally, to add a bit of bling to normally simplistic Strat design, the Uptown Strat includes binding and block inlays on the fingerboard and a specially-designed tortoise pickguard.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I built a frankentele a while back. Giutar fetish body routed HH (who knows what wood it is, probably Chinese Balsa). Warmoth neck, Les Paul scale. Ultra gnarly but super toneful hand wound Bill Lawrence pickups (real deals, non stewmac ripoffs).

39d7f2f988969208135d47e6935c8fd6.jpg

Video is straight into C30 (probably with gain set too high).

Good playing, too :D

I emailed Warmoth. Their site says they are closed but working a small crew remote. I asked if they would ship if I ordered something in stock. Their site doesnt say. I dont want to order and it not arrive until this is over.

The Buck Owen's finish would be incredible. Here's one of my favorite tshirts. KUZZ is a Bakersfield radio station that was owned by Buck; he owned a lot of radio stations.f2494ea7d6aecdc9092ba5c26dd83499.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 2:09 PM, Buzzrock said:

I’m currently twisting my aforementioned buddy’s arm to buy this and send it to Evertune:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENCKNAGH--epiphone-les-paul-custom-pro-koa-natural

He’s close.

Screen-Shot-2020-04-02-at-12-35-26-AM.pnScreen-Shot-2020-04-02-at-12-35-47-AM.pn

Reminds me a bit of this guitar (much lower quality control & components) that I just saw a photo of today.

FFLP-Wood-Grain-Body-to-die-for.jpgFFLP-Wood-Grain-Body-2.jpg

Wood grains can absolutely rock.

• Like 3

This guy is retiring and closing up his shop.  He is a good dealer.  A coworker bought a Madagascar backed Taylor 800 series from him 10 years ago that he had listed for $3000.  My buddy emailed the old man saying he was interested in that Taylor.  The old guy sent back a $2100 price tag.

I haven't looked at his inventory yet, but worth a look.  I'm betting he will really make a deal.  

https://www.myfavoriteguitars.com/

Edited by hullabelew
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hullabelew said:

This guy is retiring and closing up his shop.  He is a good dealer.  A coworker bought a Madagascar backed Taylor 800 series from him 10 years ago that he had listed for $3000.  My buddy emailed the old man saying he was interested in that Taylor.  The old guy sent back a $2100 price tag.

I haven't looked at his inventory yet, but worth a look.  I'm betting he will really make a deal.  

Man, that Gene Autry model is pretty awesome.

And the Excalibur is just over the top.  Reminds me of this I saw on Reverb the other day:

ybenoavcfely3orqf0na.jpgapsq0mzpbbhualuh4v6v.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/26325767-gibson-super-400-china-dragon-bruce-kunkel-custom-masterpiece-archtop-guitar

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Saw that, it’s cool, but a bit much for my tastes.  That fretboard causes autism.

I can have a $10 guitar from Juarez that I can hang on the wall as "art."  Or I can have this $150k Gibson that I can have on the wall as "art."   One you won't ever play because it simply won't function as a guitar.  The other you won't play because you'd probably shoot your own foot off for self-punishment if you dropped a pick on it and somehow scuffed it.  

Not getting used either way.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Whew, no electrics. :) 

He quoted $1,889 all in on the D18. That's a smoking deal.

Spoke to him on the phone, hell of a nice guy. He closed his shop in December and had visits by appointment only for several months prior to that. He says what he has left is brand new, set up, and otherwise unplayed. He called himself "the anti-Gutar Center".

He spoke to Martin prior to retiring and they told him that he could sell what was left in his inventory and they'de honor the warranty.

Pretty sure I'm doing it.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Best part of this pandemic? I still have the Gibson Custom Shop 339 in my possession. I can unload it for $1500 at this point. He's getting desperate. That's $1100 off the new price.

That's a good deal.  I wish I liked the 339 more when I played it last.  I'm a tall, big guy, so it just didn't fit me as well as a 335.  Someone who is sized more normally might prefer the size/feel of that 339.

• Like 1

Just now, Goredho said:

That's a good deal.  I wish I liked the 339 more when I played it last.  I'm a tall, big guy, so it just didn't fit me as well as a 335.  Someone who is sized more normally might prefer the size/feel of that 339.

Maybe you'll lose a bunch of weight during the quarantine?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1