The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

14 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

Blackguard Tele....surly educate me please.

I’ve seen vids of Danny Gatton playing the fuck out of one.  That’s all I got.

Anyone got a recommendation for a good value add on acoustic pickup that won’t break the bank?

On 4/3/2020 at 7:20 AM, Deej said:

20200324_183432.jpg

20200324_183402.jpg

20200324_183217.jpg

20200324_183231.jpg

Nice.

I accidentally bought this today from a pawn shop near the UNT campus in Denton after seeing it appear on Facebook Marketplace late last night.

Epiphone-Dot.jpg

Some light belt buckle scratches in the middle in the back, but seemed to be in really good shape other than that.

It was missing a string and the rest were out of tune and COVID-19 was all around, so I didn't look at it long before agreeing to buy it for $180 (tax included and out the door). No case, but I now have my 335 imitation in a color that I normally would not have chosen, but for about $70 less than the cheapest one on Reverb was listed at and that's without tax or shipping tacked on top.

I had been looking at the Firefly FF338, but they are constantly out of stock and then they purportedly need some work once you get them and so I jumped on this.

The "$249.99" on the tag was either never the price, or was given up for dead when it was posted for $180 last night. I hope that the pickups are real and are hooked up. I'm not sure If it's a fake, but for $180, I'll live it is.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Nice.

I accidentally bought this today from a pawn shop near the UNT campus in Denton after seeing it appear on Facebook Marketplace late last night.

Epiphone-Dot.jpg

Some light belt buckle scratches in the middle in the back, but seemed to be in really good shape other than that.

It was missing a string and the rest were out of tune and COVID-19 was all around, so I didn't look at it long before agreeing to buy it for $180 (tax included and out the door). No case, but I now have my 335 imitation in a color that I normally would not have chosen, but for about $70 less than the cheapest one on Reverb was listed at and that's without tax or shipping tacked on top.

I had been looking at the Firefly FF338, but they are constantly out of stock and then they purportedly need some work once you get them and so I jumped on this.

The "$249.99" on the tag was either never the price, or was given up for dead when it was posted for $180 last night. I hope that the pickups are real and are hooked up. I'm not sure If it's a fake, but for $180, I'll live it is.

Congrats on your NGD!  $180 is a great price for an Epi Dot. Looks like the real deal to me. 

Here’s a guide to Epiphone serial numbers if you want to figure out when and where it was made. Epi Dots have been made in Korea, Indonesia and China with some minor differences over the years - mostly in electronics - but they’re all good guitars for the price, and especially at your price. 

http://www.epiphonetalk.com/threads/epiphone-serial-number-information-identification.2685/

• Like 1

I've been listening a lot of J.J. Cale lately.  It comes and goes in phases.  Anyhow, he had some interesting takes on guitars.  This is a good live video, but around 4:20 he starts showing some mods he did to a Harmony.

Reminds me a lot of Les Paul in his desire to tinker.  His wife talks about it a lot here.  She's a guitar player too, so it's about as well informed as you can be on his guitars:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/on-jj-cale-he-would-buy-a-dollar100-guitar-then-if-he-messed-it-up-by-drilling-holes-it-was-okay-that-was-the-cost-of-educating-himself

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Nice.

Epiphone-Dot.jpg

I"ve been kinda wondering if this were pretty much an ideal time to hit some pawn shops for deals. Nice one!

I finally put the Wilkinson Gibson style tulip tuning keys on my $50 90s Epiphone Les Paul Jr P90 and strung it up. It sure plays good, except for a slightly worn low E slot in the nut that makes it buzz a bit when played open. No biggie. I dig it.

6 hours ago, Rip76 said:

5 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

That's a worthwhile John Lennon lesson. I learned some stuff.

Regarding the Triplets: I'm thinking that this guy doesn't know how to juggle, because what he's describing is basically juggling. R-2-3 L-2-3 R-2-3 L-2-3 is much more natural than DOWN-up-down DOWN-up-down, because you have to go down and then quickly start over again.

Juggling makes it make so much more sense.

32 minutes ago, DougO said:

I"ve been kinda wondering if this were pretty much an ideal time to hit some pawn shops for deals. Nice one!

I was trying to get out there while semi-homeless people (really just poorer people, not homeless) were in there and I was trying to get out of there ASAP.

Then I let the guitar stay wrapped in the moving blanket all night and today I looked at the tag on the guitar and it said "Epiphone & CASE"...

Damn it! I forgot to ask about the case. Didn't think that it came with one and got out of there ASAP and now I have to ask a pawn shop if I can come back to get the case... like that's going to happen without paying for it. (FUCK!!)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Regarding the Triplets: I'm thinking that this guy doesn't know how to juggle, because what he's describing is basically juggling. R-2-3 L-2-3 R-2-3 L-2-3 is much more natural than DOWN-up-down DOWN-up-down, because you have to go down and then quickly start over again.

Eh, unless it's at warp speed, I don't see much of a difference.  I think it's a matter of where you want the accent, along with the tonal differences that occur when you strum up as opposed to down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Eh, unless it's at warp speed, I don't see much of a difference.  I think it's a matter of where you want the accent, along with the tonal differences that occur when you strum up as opposed to down.

Well, the way he was playing at warp speed was pretty much like juggling.

Watching the whole video, it made me wonder how many ridiculously good musicians have descended upon Nashville to be session musicians, but who aren't necessarily strictly "country music" musicians. I bet that half the people who bartend, work at Starbucks, and do construction in that town are better musicians than most people could ever dream of being.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Watching the whole video, it made me wonder how many ridiculously good musicians have descended upon Nashville to be session musicians, but who aren't necessarily strictly "country music" musicians. I bet that half the people who bartend, work at Starbucks, and do construction in that town are better musicians than most people could ever dream of being.

Oh, that's definitely true.  Some of them are purists, but most of the session players are probably well-versed in a bunch of styles and country wasn't choice #1.

• Like 1

Yeah, there's thirteen hundred and fifty two
Guitar cases in Nashville
And any one that unpacks 'is guitar could play Twice as better than I will

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Warner Hodges says you can bet the person who serves you coffee is a better guitarist than anyone you have ever heard of.  When he was playing with Dan Baird, he said, "Hell, I'm the second best guitarist in THIS band."    Last night, I was watching some ACM country music thing on TV because I wanted to see what Brandi Carlisle sang.  And holy shit...I see a dude I met at rehab, playing keyboards for Tim McGraw.  He plays piano at the church service there every Sunday.  Dude is INSANELY talented but has to have another job to support his desire to play when he can get a chance.  

A songwriter I know from Nashville named Amy Black told me that she was supposed to play a benefit but her slot got moved so she couldn't do it.  She said, "I still had the pay the guitarist who learned my songs."  So, she has a gig, sends her music to a guitarist she has never met so he can play with her on a 30 minute set.   Apparently, that is a benefit for a guitarist to have time to learn the stuff.  A lot of the time, the dude just shows up.  

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

We played a social distance set sat evening in our culdesac. Here was our set list:

Set 1     
1  Steve McQueen
2  Proud Mary
3  Free Fallin
4  Stop dragging my heart
5  Super 8
6  Blue Bayou
7  Turn the page
8  White Rabbit
9  Folsom prison blues
10  Burning Down the House

Set 2
11   Bobby McGee
12 No Matter What*
13 Never been to Spain*
14 Picture*
15 You're no good*
16 Last of My Kind
17 Can't find my way home
18 What’s been going on*
19 Straight On*
20 Gimme Shelter

Set 3
1 Black Horse Cherry Tree
2 Son of a Preacher man
3 Turn the Page
4 Gold Dust Woman
5 Pride and Joy
6 Love me like a man
7 Cold Cold Heart*
8 Shallow*
9 The One I Love*
10 Sweet Child O Mine*

People seemed to appreciate it. Lots of room in the culdesac and driveways to stay distanced. We’ve been asked to make it a weekly sat eve deal.

We didn’t even need to plug in to be heard. But we probably will next time because the singer likes the dynamics she can get with a mic better.

fe175d00fa2bba088fba36b10ff1ab87.jpg

That's a cool idea.

Remember drive-in movies? Could that be the future of show entertainment? A drive-in concert sounds like a pretty cool idea.

Warner Hodges says you can bet the person who serves you coffee is a better guitarist than anyone you have ever heard of.  When he was playing with Dan Baird, he said, "Hell, I'm the second best guitarist in THIS band."    Last night, I was watching some ACM country music thing on TV because I wanted to see what Brandi Carlisle sang.  And holy shit...I see a dude I met at rehab, playing keyboards for Tim McGraw.  He plays piano at the church service there every Sunday.  Dude is INSANELY talented but has to have another job to support his desire to play when he can get a chance.  
A songwriter I know from Nashville named Amy Black told me that she was supposed to play a benefit but her slot got moved so she couldn't do it.  She said, "I still had the pay the guitarist who learned my songs."  So, she has a gig, sends her music to a guitarist she has never met so he can play with her on a 30 minute set.   Apparently, that is a benefit for a guitarist to have time to learn the stuff.  A lot of the time, the dude just shows up.  

So true on all of this. The talent in that town is beyond insane.

10 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

So true on all of this. The talent in that town is beyond insane.

I used to tell out-of-town friends when I'd drag them around to Joe's Generic, Antone's, etc. that "SRV could walk in right now and still be the 2nd best guitarist in the room".

A few of those times I was probably right, but the sentiment was well-placed.

19 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Re: My Epiphone Dot case

It looks like I'm going to be able to pick it up without paying extra. I'll know tomorrow between 9am-2pm, but apparently things look promising.

Success!! 

I'm thinking that the case is older than the guitar. (The various stickers on the back of the headstock look fairly new, with a "Made In China" sticker that looks about a week old, but the Epiphone info sticker inside of one of the f holes looks legit.)

Not sure if keys where in the little paper thing in the utility compartment (I'm letting viruses die on the thing before taking it out of my trunk in a day or 3), but as just a beaten up old hardcore, it would probably cost $75 to $125 to replace. And considering the guitar was $180 including tax+title+license+closing costs, I'm happy to have the thing.

IMG-9242.jpg

IMG-9241.jpg

IMG-9244.jpg

IMG-9245.jpg

Our band was talking about doing this.  Playing a show with "X"s on the floor six feet apart.  
1 wanted to get my band to play for the street with every member in a different room / window of my apartment but one member wants nothing to with it unless we can be on the roof. I have no way of getting the gear to the roof.

1 minute ago, AnotherUTFan said:
1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:
Our band was talking about doing this.  Playing a show with "X"s on the floor six feet apart.  

1 wanted to get my band to play for the street with every member in a different room / window of my apartment but one member wants nothing to with it unless we can be on the roof. I have no way of getting the gear to the roof.

He can be on the roof. Let him figure out the logistics.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hullabelew said:

John Sabastion claimed 1352 guitar pickers in Nashville. And everyone of them can pick better than I will....

So, one of the cleaning staff at my office tested positive. Best way to raffle off my gear to you assholes?
I've learned this today that a friend I used to play music with in San Diego in the ICU and on a ventilator with the Corona.

This is from 2011, he's on the Telecaster, my Gretsch Billy Bo was brand new back then.

79937f94e3d120af08de4c624e558249.jpgb3494cce0a5a36f3b8fac42831cd4982.jpg