The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I’ve decided to pick up and learn how to play. I’ve always wanted to and have never done it. Figured now is as good a time as any.

So - I always thought I wanted to learn on an electric first, but I’ve changed my mind. What is a decent acoustic guitar to pick up AND are any of the online teaching programs worth a damn.

Thank you!

• Like 1

I’d start with a Yamaha. Spend about $300 or so if you can and you should have a pretty nice player. Get someone to adjust the neck so the action is good, can be hit or miss from the factory.

Fenders lesson site called Fender Play is supposed to be good. Think it might even be free now.

8 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

I’ve decided to pick up and learn how to play. I’ve always wanted to and have never done it. Figured now is as good a time as any.

So - I always thought I wanted to learn on an electric first, but I’ve changed my mind. What is a decent acoustic guitar to pick up AND are any of the online teaching programs worth a damn.

Thank you!

Like others have said, Seagull S6 or Yamaha FG series are your 2 best bets. If possible, I would skip the built in electronics just to save cost. If it's in there, no big deal but why pay for something you won't be using for a while. Both are great guitars that will carry you a long way.

Also, as mentioned above, definitely get it set up. Sweetwater is kinda picked over right now on in stock items, but if you reach out to them ask what type of discount they can offer (they will drop the price a bit and ask them for a good beginning player set up. Usually the action is really high out of the box and it can make things more challenging to learn if not set up properly. Don't make things harder than they need to be.  It does not cost much and is worth it.) 

You will also need picks (Fender medium is a good place to start), a tuner (free phone app is fine), and depending on what guitar you get it may not come with a gig bag so you will probably want a case or bag to store it when not playing. 

Fender Play is actually a really good lesson series for starting out. They make the whole process really approachable. 

Keep us posted on what you get. And pics are mandatory. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I’d start with a Yamaha. Spend about $300 or so if you can and you should have a pretty nice player. Get someone to adjust the neck so the action is good, can be hit or miss from the factory.

Fenders lesson site called Fender Play is supposed to be good. Think it might even be free now.

This. I bought a Yamaha fg830 last year for 300 bucks. It is a great acoustic. Fender Play is free for your first three months,  at the moment. No credit card required, so you don't have to worry about being charged for a renewal.

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/yamaha-fg830-642438

Edited by Deej

13 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Thank you!

Like you, I have decided to learn to play the guitar during this time.

Unlike you, this is about my 8th time to decide this. So here are some tips from a experienced beginner to a less experienced one:

REGARDING: Acoustic Guitars

-The strings are going to be much tougher on your fingers and it's going to be unpleasant the first few days. I would ditch the 12 gauge strings that your guitar will come with and immediately change them out for some 10 gauge strings. The difference will be between "Dreading practicing" and "Wanting to practice".

-This is also the reason why some people recommend starting on an electric guitar (no amp or other stuff needed at the start), because electric guitar strings will be easier on your fingers.

-I bought a Rogue RA-100 from Musician's Friend. If you call, they may give you a first time buyer's discount. (You have to pay tax, but free shipping.)

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/rogue-ra-100d-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar

Screen-Shot-2020-04-25-at-10-13-00-AM.pn

The sound is good and it was a cheap entry into playing the guitar, but I didn't buy lighter strings, so within the first week, I also bought a Firefly FFDCD electric guitar that I got for a slight discount. And then before it arrived in the mail, I bought a Firefly FFTH (Telecaster Thin Hollow body knock off) slightly used because I could pick it up in person. The strings on an electric guitar are SO MUCH EASIER ON THE FINGERS and that makes a huge difference for a beginner. (I now have 10s on the Rogue... and if you're in the Dallas area, I'd sell it for ~$80 because an Epiphone Dot semi-hollow body guitar that can serve my acoustic needs for now.)

REGARDING PICKS: Try some variety packs.

-I bought a pack of DUNLOP LIGHT/MEDIUM picks and a pack of DUNLOP ELECTRIC GUITAR picks. Each pack came with 12 picks and you have various sizes, thicknesses, and textures. You will be amazed at how different sounds will be when using different picks. My brother always had Fender Mediums, so that's always what I used in the past. Try out various picks and find the feel and the sound that you like. If nothing else, you'll practice more due to trying out different picks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dunlop-PVP101-Guitar-Pick-Variety-Pack-Light-Medium-12-Pack/161653608222?epid=1000159644&hash=item25a34e4f1e:g:a3cAAOSw86ZeVzkF

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunlop-PVP113-Electric-Pick-Variety-Pack-12-Pack/293285213932?hash=item44492936ec:g:~HMAAOSwCXVeFlLl

ONLINE LESSONS: Try Some Out For Free

Justin Sandercoe of JustinGuitar.com is possibly the #1 guitar teacher in the world (in volume). His classes are free, but you he encourages people to buy stuff or contribute what you want to support his site and put money in his pocket.

Fender normally offers a free month of classes, but currently is offering 3 months free. I signed up, but haven't tried it out. https://www.fender.com/play?clickref=1101l89s6FsX&aff_id=1011l24036

A friend is trying out Marty Music on YouTube because he preaches 5 minutes a day for the first 2 months. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmnlTWVJysjWPFiZhQ5uudg/playlists  With 5 minutes a day, the goal is easily accomplishable, you can develop callouses on your fingers, the time commitment is nothing, and you start to feel like you're doing something.

I have acquired 5 guitars (1 acoustic & 4 electrics) in the last month and realize that perhaps I don't need one of each pickup variety, so Firefly FFDCD (Double cut-out with P90 looking pickups and/or the acoustic. If you're in the Dallas area, I could sell you one for about $85. (About 12% less than I picked them up for.)

No matter what, good luck. Start slow, get light strings, and set a small, accomplishable goal for practicing.

Edited by Napoleon

Solid post Napoleon. I agree that electrics are easier on the fingers than acoustics.

The thing about buying a first guitar imo is you have to get one that’s of good enough quality to stay in tune. If it doesn’t that’s hard to deal with as a beginner.

I’d go with a squire tele for a beginner electric. Affinities are under $300 I think.

2 hours ago, topochico said:

Also, if you are in DFW and need a guitar set up, I may or may not know an amazing luthier who is open as an essential business during these difficult times.... PM for details. 

This may be info I could use.  

Also, what specific model is that bass?  I really like it.  A lot.  

For beginners, also, some advice-- the lighter the pick, the more forgiving. You'll probably find it easier to play smoother chords and strum with a lighter pick, at the beginning. I guess your mileage may vary on that. 

Also, you should try to play every day, even if just for 15 minutes (on a day where you want to take it easier). There are a lot of benefits to playing every day, both body and brain. I mean that specifically as it comes to learning guitar, but then again there are plenty of body and brain benefits to playing music even beyond "getting better at my chosen instrument". 

• Like 1

Haven't been on here for awhile, but things keep moving along.

PhdJr.  has become quite the little hipster guitarist.  I told him last semester if he cracked a certain GPA at the 40, I'd buy him a "real" Strat (he's had a Squier, posted here back up somewhere).  Guess what?  I lost.  So he got a good deal on this below.  I think it's a color only these meddlng kids nowadays like, but man it does sound sweet and he's been enjoying it (cooped up at our Grand Estate while I'm still paying rent for a phantom to live on W.C.).  Anyway, he's breaking out all the new stuff on it.  It really does sound sweet.  I think it's officially limited issue in the Players Series.  Somewhere just north of half a grand.  Very nice machine.  Points for the strap, too, no?

Did I ever post my Squier Bass upstream?  If not, here it is.  I play it a lot, have gotten pretty damn good on it (watch out Jaco) and enjoy the living crap outta it.  (Strap is my home state (MD) which I'm sure you're sick of after the events a few years ago).  My Strat looks 80% like this (Black/White P.G./but maple neck), and has a Texas flag strap, which is pretty sweet.  I'm thinking of buying a J orP Bass 5-string (Fender).  But this Squier is very, very good, tons of pro players use Squiers for a lot of stuff along with their Fenders.  I can't tell much of a diffrence for 1/3 to 1/8th the price.

Anyway, here they are,

.LimaBeanStrat.thumb.jpg.a512d83b439cb2a9851a4d4addde07fa.jpg           SquierBass.thumb.jpg.7a59839a480e9d4382903801f0dd68d9.jpg

Anyway, that's it for today.  

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Yeah, you're wrong about the color being only something kids today are into. I don't know anyone who would turn their nose up at it. 

Meh, it's okay I guess. I'm a classics guy though, sunburst, solid black or white, or brighter solid colors. I realize his guitar is kind of a classic reissue, but I always liked the brighter colors. I think my favorite look is all natural with white pickguard.

40 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Guess what?  I lost.  So [PhDjr] got a good deal on this below.  I think it's a color only these meddlng kids nowadays like, but man it does sound sweet...

LimaBeanStrat.jpg

25 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That is a classic color.  Looks like either Seafoam or Surf Green.  Both are legendary.  Your kid did good!

One day I will have a Strat in every pastel color.  One day.

THIS!

8 minutes ago, Deej said:

Yeah, you're wrong about the color being only something kids today are into. I don't know anyone who would turn their nose up at it. 

THIS as well.

I'm a lot older on my passport that I am in real life, so maybe that explains why I picked this up recently. But I can't get enough of Fenders in pastel colors of the early '60s.

Squier-Mustang-Surf-Green.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

HSS Strats are extremely versatile from a sounds and styles perspective. I’d have no problem recommending this as a first electric rig:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/STRATAPHBSB--squier-affinity-series-stratocaster-hss-pack-brown-sunburst

Also, the aforementioned ESP that my buddy picked up.

8f2c93ce06499bd55e8a112a8565e61d.jpg

I own an ESP Eclipse (in Reindeer, better recognize) and after having played an LTD 1000 Deluxe I'd have a hard time telling the difference. Those Deluxes are so damn nice. Tons of guitar. Play like an ESP should.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Deej said:

But it is a classic color, minus the pearlescent finish.

20200426_130217.jpg

Nice color, but not Jr.'s strat.  Big diff.

Anyway, opinions are like assholes... glad you guys like it.  I wouldn't buy it given the difference (although technically I did), but he did - and you would.  I get it.