The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

21 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

That's where I got the idea.  Read it in an interview with him ages ago.  I have a couple of his laying around somewhere as well.  Hasn't made me play like him, but it is a damn fine all around pick.  

I probably read that same article. When I went down to pick up some Jazz III all they had were the EJ signature versions, as if by kismet, so I picked them up and have been using them ever since. I collect Gravity picks as souvenirs when I travel and have a handful of the 003, which are their Jazz III clones. So now, when I'm playing in a tux or on a first date, I use the Gravity version instead. But I always keep a trusty Dunlop EJ in my wallet for when someone fucks around and wants to get dunked on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

"The book, Eruption in the Canyon: 212 Days and Nights with the Genius of Eddie Van Halen, chronicles Bennett’s time with the electric guitar player in 2006 and 2007"

The only time I've ever seen Eddie Van Halen play live was in 2006 when I was working at a post-production house on La Cienega between Melrose & Santa Monica Blvd in West Hollywood.

There was a loud wailing going on outside, so I went to check it out. The next building to the north of us was a former home turned into a boutique flower shop that had a little enclosed parking lot. It seemed like the kind of place that really wealthy people went to sit on a sofa drinking champagne as an array of assistants presented floral arrangements to tipsy clients with hours to kill during the middle of the day.

A 15'x'10' stage had been erected in a couple of the ~5 parking spaces and there was Eddie Van Halen doing a loud-as-fuck sound check at about 2pm on a lazy sunny mid-week afternoon in WeHo.

Eddie Plays The Flower Shop!

I don't think that that tour went national.

(Pre smart phone... no pics.)

There's a new guitar line called Firefly and it's getting good reviews.

https://magicinstruments.com/best-cheap-electric-guitar/

Their Gibson 335 knockoff guitars were ~$140 + shipping just a month ago, but have gone up to base of $160 with other ~$180 & $190.

Spalted-Brown-FF338.jpg 

Purple-FF338.jpg

Blue-Transparent-Pillowed-FF338.jpg

Screen-Shot-2020-04-28-at-9-11-51-AM.png

They're up for now, but they tend to sell out some of the colors within an hour and then the wait may be a month or two.

Resellers bought the shit out of their Les Paul knockoffs a couple of weeks ago and then turned about a 30% resale profit within days. (Pissing off those who weren't aware that they had dropped until later that day.)

BUY HERE:  https://guitarsgarden.com/collections/semi-hollow-body-electric-guitars

Edited by Napoleon

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Their Gibson 335 knockoff guitars were ~$140 + shipping just a month ago, but have gone up to base of $160 with other ~$180 & $190.

Spalted-Brown-FF338.jpg 

Purple-FF338.jpg

They're up for now, but they tend to sell out some of the colors within an hour and then the wait may be a month or two.

Resellers bought the shit out of their Les Paul knockoffs a couple of weeks ago and then turned about a 30% resale profit within days. (Pissing off those who weren't aware that they had dropped until later that day.)

BUY HERE:  https://guitarsgarden.com/collections/semi-hollow-body-electric-guitars

Big thread(s) about them on TDPRI. Some people get nice ones that need little work, some get dogs, but buy through Amazon and you get Amazon's return policy.

This one gets a lot of love.

20200428_110344.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Spalted-Brown-FF338.jpg 

Purple-FF338.jpg

I'd rather see Chef Boyardee over there drunk post more pics of pasta.

Edited by BoomMF

32 minutes ago, Deej said:

Big thread(s) about them on TDPRI. Some people get nice ones that need little work, some get dogs, but buy through Amazon and you get Amazon's return policy.

This one gets a lot of love.

20200428_110344.jpg

I was looking at a Grote TH or a solid body Tele a few weeks ago, but went a little overboard on some other used guitars. Today I kind of may some decisions (I hope that I don't regret) in regards to the semi-hollows. 

What I need to do is sleep and then practice. But I'll keep an eye on that Grote. I'm not tied to anything yet, because I still don't know what I want to play... though the Beatles/Tom Petty/Byrds vibe has been in my head recently and I've been eyeing Harley Benton's... RB-612. I'm getting seduced by the Jingle-Jangle.

308769.jpg

https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_rb_612cs_classic_series.htm

headstockrear.jpg

bodyreverse.jpg

IMG-3535.jpg

Straight Fret did the repair, and also fixed up some loose binding on my Martin.  Crazy how good it turned out, especially with only replacing the bridge piece.

I feel like a big burden/shame thing has been lifted.  Some of y'all may remember/be aware of my struggles almost 5 years back.  After I spiraled out pretty hard after that string of touring and this guitar was a big shameful rust bucket of a metaphor of my life basically.  So, I'm really excited to have it back to play, but it's also kinda... fixing up a dirty bit of my past, making it shine again.  Really pleased with how it turned out.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Nice cm. Was he able to salvage those pickups? They look great, and the ebony in the fingerboard really came back to life.

Yeah, there’s a bit of pitting on all the metal parts but the only thing replaced is the bridge.

Sounds great, too. I’m remembering why that guitar spoke to me so much. Gretsches feel really vibrant. I love the solid feel of the pickguard and the feel of the strings. I don’t know if it’s a scale thing, or trapeze/bigsby, or what. That 6120N of mine was a guitar I bought on a tube run (because had to have it), and this one was when I took a buddy guitar shopping and he refused to buy the guitar that I told him he needed to buy (so I had to come back later and buy it).  I think I most “need” a 335 in the stable but as far as electrics I have a bad track record of falling in love with Gretsches.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 1:57 PM, tbone_ said:

Which makes me ponder the question: if you could jam with Eddie one time but to do it you had to be one of the most reviled douchebags in music would you do it?

Sure, because the douchebag would probably be me.

On 4/27/2020 at 12:46 PM, tbone_ said:

There's a thread on The Gear Page about the new Ted Templeman book, and this was discussed. There's a great Craig Gass interview from a few years ago, where he talks about living at Eds place for a few months (in 5150), and mentions this film/crew. 

Spalted-Brown-FF338.jpg 

Purple-FF338.jpg

These are intriguing. I have a weakness for cheap guitars. Some of those finishes look really impressive for a sub-$200 guitar. I wonder if they are veneers.

Check out the awesome faq page:

c32f601060683dedc273dacc600035e8.png

Spalted-Brown-FF338.jpg 

Purple-FF338.jpg

These are intriguing. I have a weakness for cheap guitars. Some of those finishes look really impressive for a sub-$200 guitar. I wonder if they are veneers.

Check out the awesome faq page:

c32f601060683dedc273dacc600035e8.png

Stupid tapa-dupes.

Here's a link tall the Firefly guitars on Amazon (all sold out). But they've got some interesting colors including a natural and a gold top.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=firefly+electric+guitar&i=mi&rh=p_n_availability%3A1248828011%2Cp_89%3AFirefly&dc&fbclid=IwAR0miMFmCZt9NsFFIVtNGOjXARkWNiZiMVurOYvOPUbcwsUqv4zoPbMBa_U

On 4/28/2020 at 11:42 AM, Napoleon said:

I was looking at a Grote TH or a solid body Tele a few weeks ago, but went a little overboard on some other used guitars. Today I kind of may some decisions (I hope that I don't regret) in regards to the semi-hollows. 

What I need to do is sleep and then practice. But I'll keep an eye on that Grote. I'm not tied to anything yet, because I still don't know what I want to play... though the Beatles/Tom Petty/Byrds vibe has been in my head recently and I've been eyeing Harley Benton's... RB-612. I'm getting seduced by the Jingle-Jangle.

308769.jpg

https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_rb_612cs_classic_series.htm

That's a nice looking guitar for sure. But if you want a similar sound pretty cheap the Danelectro 12 that goes for about tree fiddy is a very good 12 string, though solid body. Sounds great, plays great, easier than a Rickenbacker and its skinnyass fretboard.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Stupid tapa-dupes.

Here's a link tall the Firefly guitars on Amazon (all sold out). But they've got some interesting colors including a natural and a gold top.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=firefly+electric+guitar&i=mi&rh=p_n_availability%3A1248828011%2Cp_89%3AFirefly&dc&fbclid=IwAR0miMFmCZt9NsFFIVtNGOjXARkWNiZiMVurOYvOPUbcwsUqv4zoPbMBa_U

They don’t currently sell new arrivals through Amazon due to 3rd Party Supplies...

...so the company set up GuitarsGarden.com 

They dumped their warehouse inventory of Les Paul knockoffs about 3 to 4 weeks ago for $169 to $189 (for the 3 pup setups) in an array of finishes that disappeared in a matter of a few hours. 

The have Tele Hollows coming in in about 12 to 15 days and then more Les Pauls soon after - to - end of May. 

These 335 knockoffs jumped $20 to $30 in price, depending on color and then shipping is $20/guitar on top of that. 

The Teles will probably jump to $149 + shipping vs the $129 + that the were on GG a few weeks ago. (And the same, but Free Shipping before that on Amazon.)

I’d expect the Les Pauls to be $189 to $209.

The quality control is supposedly improving, but they are also approaching Harley Benton price ranges, so they might be hitting their ceiling. 

• Like 1

RIP Ray Hennig gone at 91. Spend a lot of time in his stores, got my first electric guitar there, as did tons of others.

Central Texas man known as ‘Godfather’ of Texas music stores dies at 91

Ray Hennig, who gave legendary Texas guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan the 1959 Fender Stratocaster that helped propel Vaughan to international fame, has died at the age of 91. (Courtesy photo)
By Staff | 
Posted: Fri 2:00 PM, May 01, 2020  | 
Updated: Fri 2:23 PM, May 01, 2020

WACO, Texas (KWTX) Ray Hennig, who gave legendary Texas guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan the 1959 Fender Stratocaster that helped propel Vaughan to international fame, has died at the age of 91.

Hennig, a Coryell County native, died Thursday in Austin of natural causes, his son, Steve, said.

Hennig, who got into the music business because of his son’s interest in learning to play the guitar, opened Ray Hennig’s Heart of Texas Music in the late 1960s at 3118 Franklin Ave. in Waco and operated it for 45 years.

He also opened stores in Temple and Austin, where he worked with such musicians as Willie Nelson, Eric Johnson, Ray Benson of Asleep at the Wheel, Christopher Cross, Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top.

But the encounter with Vaughan was a defining moment in his career.

“Dad was a very big part of Stevie Ray Vaughn’s life,” Steve Hennig said Friday.

“He gave him that No. 1 guitar.”

Vaughan, who dubbed the guitar “Number One,” later said the instrument led him in “new creative directions.”

Vaughan was playing that guitar when he and his band, Double Trouble, performed in 1982 at the Montreux Jazz Festival.

Their set led to a record contract and recognition that stretched well beyond Texas.

"He reduced the stage to a pile of smoking cinders and, afterward, everyone wanted to know who he was," People magazine’s James McBride wrote.

Vaughan died on Aug. 27, 1990 in a helicopter crash after performing in Wisconsin.

The guitar has been featured in various exhibits including two at the Bob Bullock Museum in Austin.

No services are planned, but a celebration of Hennig’s life will be scheduled after concerns about the coronavirus outbreak ebb.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 6

Add me to list considering purchasing a guitar and try to learn how to play a bit while stuck at home.  And have some extra cash after cancelling 40th birthday trip so why not.

I saw up thread Seagull  S6 or Yahama FG series so looking at those.   Anyone else have opinions regarding any on this list?  https://www.guitarworld.com/features/the-best-acoustic-guitars-for-beginners-beginner-acoustic-guitars

I was initially thinking about one of the smaller ones (Taylor Mini or Little Martin) as I don't need big sound but obviously let me know if a reason that wouldn't be recommended as a starter.

And per a post from TopoChico, it sounds like best advice would be to order from someplace like Sweetwater and ask them for a good beginner player setup?

Is this the service?  https://www.sweetwater.com/shop/guitars/plek/index.php

27 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Add me to list considering purchasing a guitar and try to learn how to play a bit while stuck at home.  And have some extra cash after cancelling 40th birthday trip so why not.

I saw up thread Seagull  S6 or Yahama FG series so looking at those.   Anyone else have opinions regarding any on this list?  https://www.guitarworld.com/features/the-best-acoustic-guitars-for-beginners-beginner-acoustic-guitars

I was initially thinking about one of the smaller ones (Taylor Mini or Little Martin) as I don't need big sound but obviously let me know if a reason that wouldn't be recommended as a starter.

And per a post from TopoChico, it sounds like best advice would be to order from someplace like Sweetwater and ask them for a good beginner player setup?

Is this the service?  https://www.sweetwater.com/shop/guitars/plek/index.php

I have a somewhat unpopular take on first guitars. Unlike most I bought the very best I could afford. I rationalized that if I failed to learn I had a better chance of getting my money back if I wanted to sell it. I use this same philosophy with cameras, cars or watches. So yeah, the upfront money is problematic. But, if you have something good, someone will want it

Stopped by a pawn shop today where they've had a natural Epiphone 339 Pro P90 hanging for a good while. I finally inquied about their bottom line, offered $200, they said the best they could do was $250 plus tax. I asked "how about tax included?" No go. I wasn't really hot to buy a guitar at this point so the $20-ish tax was enough to make me pass...for now. It comes with some kind of crappy soft case which they wouldn't pull out for me, no hard case. The guitar seems in good shape, no easily detectable marks. I'm gonna stew on it for a while, but I'm not really chomping at the bit at this point. I have no semi-hollow electrics in my arsenal that I rarely play anyway.

What do y'all think about that deal?

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Stopped by a pawn shop today where they've had a natural Epiphone 339 Pro P90 hanging for a good while. I finally inquied about their bottom line, offered $200, they said the best they could do was $250 plus tax. I asked "how about tax included?" No go. I wasn't really hot to buy a guitar at this point so the $20-ish tax was enough to make me pass...for now. It comes with some kind of crappy soft case which they wouldn't pull out for me, no hard case. The guitar seems in good shape, no easily detectable marks. I'm gonna stew on it for a while, but I'm not really chomping at the bit at this point. I have no semi-hollow electrics in my arsenal that I rarely play anyway.

Epi 339 P90 Pro is one of my favorite guitars. Do it!

1 hour ago, DougO said:

What town?

I have a somewhat unpopular take on first guitars. Unlike most I bought the very best I could afford. I rationalized that if I failed to learn I had a better chance of getting my money back if I wanted to sell it. I use this same philosophy with cameras, cars or watches. So yeah, the upfront money is problematic. But, if you have something good, someone will want it

This is not a bad idea at all. You just have to be willing to drop some scratch on the unknown.