The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

10 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Chad your throw pillows are uglier than my blue strap (I ordered a new strap today).

I almost circled back around to get a picture of the purfling on the back of my d41 but you got it on the Miller Martin. Love that. What an interesting guitar.

Hell yeah 71 D28. I assume that’s after they switched to Indian rosewood? Also hell yeah on the Tweedy OO-15M. Obviously Gibson is more famous for burst acoustics (which was actually to get more use out of cosmetically imperfect spruce) than Martin - that is pretty. Would love to play/hold one of those. Really pretty in a very different way than the satin finished mahogany guys.  I entertained buying one of those Collings Waterloo guitars but after playing it decided I’d rather have an O or OO Martin. I bet that one is great in whatever place you happen to be sitting.

ok I need to get my other Martin in before the day runs out. This is my first guitar, 96 DM. I need to go check on it.

Great Martin Monday everyone. Tomorrow is telecasters, as the man said.

12381109-6708-4759-AE43-7BA971F392B8.jpeg

Talk to Mrs. F about pillows.  That's her department.  

• Like 2

During this quarantine stuff, I have guitars all over the house.  Never can tell when you are going to need to pick one up.    I'm really beginning to think I want to pick up a cheap, nylon string.   Anyone care to opine on nylon strings.  Was hoping to keep it under $500, but that Taylor is a lot of guitar for only $200 more.   

Deciding between the Taylor Academy 12e Grand Concert ($700) or the a Yamaha CG 12MS ($240).  The Taylor is more of hybrid...neck isn't as wide as a true classical..  

Taylor: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N26CDMJ/?coliid=I2G60WY7VD1J3X&colid=3PD04MIQK29LS&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Yamaha:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FJGDL8/?coliid=I3GJEGB7TMRKE8&colid=3PD04MIQK29LS&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

And FUCK, I really want a D18 but the IRS is asking for about 3 D18s so going to have to wait.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I wondered about the Pegasus/horse tag being on a Martin. I was unaware of a Steve Miller model. 

Limited run of 383.  Don't ask me how they came up with that number.

Here's the other one.  This guy seems pretty proud of his.  Still, a beautiful guitar:

hawvvpoqmlxmllx5qj9s.jpg

v9ipzsyeegvijbk8klok.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/30249555-martin-00-37k2sm-steve-miller-signature

Maybe when I get true F U money...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

Yes, sir, Mr. Fuck.  That’s the refinished ‘69 I picked up about a year and a half ago.

I’ll get pics of the other Teles in a moment. 

Really dig that.  Even though they laid the poly on thick at the factory at the time, I really dig that era Tele.  

4 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Pros/cons?  I've been eyeing them real hard on Reverb.  

I love it. The neck is wide at the nut, so it's great for fingerpicking. It's a quiet guitar and really well-balanced tonally - no booming low end or overly-bright high end.  I was initially disappointed that it wasn't a great strummer with a medium pick. Hard to describe, just a little harsh. I started using a thin pick with it and it smoothed right out.

If you're shopping, it looks like they were originally built with a mortise and tenon neck joint, but later changed to a dovetail joint. It's just something to be aware of, if you have a preference. Mine has the mortise and tenon, and I have no complaints.

I bought it used from a friend in 2017, and I've played it much more than any other guitar I own since then. It's easy to pick up and hard to put down.

• Like 1

For Tele Tuesday, I have a Tele. It's not a Fender, it's not a Squier, it's one of those Fireflys that I was talking about last week, but those were semi-hollow... (more on those tomorrow.)

I bought this used from someone local and it included a braided ~15' to 20' cable for a C-note.

FFTH-SB-1-full-body.jpg

FFTH-SB-2-full-body-sideways.jpg

FFTH-SB-7-back-of-neck.jpg

Under 6 pounds, the woodgrain in the neck is beautiful, but it needs a light sanding when my sandpaper order arrives. They most likely will be releasing a solid body Tele later this year and if the price is right and the colors agree with me, I'll probably get one, because this Tele is nicely done for the price.

Their Firefly FF338s... well... I need to ask tomorrow what I should expect, what I should ignore, what can easily be fixed...

But Cinco de Mayo Tele Tuesday.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

another one that needs some tlc (not nearly as much as the gretsch)

IMG-3580.jpg

I dig this, Celery.  My next electric is probably going to be something very similar to this.

I'm pretty sure Nile Rogers did the great majority of his hits on his Strat (bridge pickup, direct to tape, touching an 1170-style compressor on the way in).  But lately I see him playing a thinline like yours - maybe even through an amp -  and it gives a bit of body and a bit of "hair" (not Uber-clean) to the funk guitars.  

41 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

I'm pretty sure Nile Rogers did the great majority of his hits on his Strat (bridge pickup, direct to tape, touching an 1170-style compressor on the way in).  But lately I see him playing a thinline like yours - maybe even through an amp -  and it gives a bit of body and a bit of "hair" (not Uber-clean) to the funk guitars.  

Let's not forget that he's Nile Rogers, and his funk game is untouchable.

I swear, every time I see that guy play on some documentary I think "shit, I can do that" and I plug in and give it a go, and then "nope".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Really dig that.  Even though they laid the poly on thick at the factory at the time, I really dig that era Tele.  

Yup.  The original owner of my Tele stripped all the poly back in the 80s and repainted it in rattle can black.  Then he had it professionally stripped and refinished in butterscotch blonde nitro about 15 years ago.

Deej, you and I have matching guitars. Here’s a Baja Tele I picked up a few months back. 
2113-E79-B-2204-4883-9-D13-4-B2-FE2369-E

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

Yup.  The original owner of my Tele stripped all the poly back in the 80s and repainted it in rattle can black.  Then he had it professionally stripped and refinished in butterscotch blonde nitro about 15 years ago.

Deej, you and I have matching guitars. Here’s a Baja Tele I picked up a few months back. 
2113-E79-B-2204-4883-9-D13-4-B2-FE2369-E

Baja's were the best value in the Tele line, before they stopped making them. The 50's Vintera is pretty much the same guitar, but the price went up. 

That fat neck is to die for. 

1 hour ago, Paul Wesley said:

Yeah, fair point. 

I definitely wasn't trying to undermine your perspective.  You're acutely aware of this, but the way some guys just have that "thing", it transcends gear.  Watching David Grissom get his monster tone out of an Esquire and a Champ drove that home for me.  Nile is just one of those dudes who (for me) can almost do no wrong, he has such a crazy iconoclastic style that's instantly recognizable and almost (almost) inimitable.  

• Like 1

I don't play the 72 thinline much, but it does growl.  I've always liked the 72 deluxe or whatever it was, with the strat headstock and belly cut, and les paul control configuration.

Maybe we should have had a wide range Wednesday.  Don't know if we have any Washburn folks.

59 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

1e9c6b5d36dd5ea79997f10661232961.jpg

Wanna get better as a guitar player? Play nothing but a tele straight into a fender tube amp for a while. No Forgiveness At All!

A tele straight into any amp will expose your weaknesses  

23 minutes ago, Deej said:

A tele straight into any amp will expose your weaknesses  

Yeah, I'm not good at much on guitar, but I'm fucking solid on your basic open chord rhythm stuff, which (in my opinion) is where the heart of true rock 'n roll lies.  My (G&L) Tele through my Vox doesn't ever let me down or make me look stupid.  Well, except when I try to get out of my comfort zone.  Then I'm happy to look stupid, and I probably won't even understand why.

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I'm not good at much on guitar, but I'm fucking solid on your basic open chord rhythm stuff, which (in my opinion) is where the heart of true rock 'n roll lies.  My (G&L) Tele through my Vox doesn't ever let me down or make me look stupid.  Well, except when I try to get out of my comfort zone.  Then I'm happy to look stupid, and I probably won't even understand why.

Teles are perfect for basic open chord rhythm. It's when you go outside that that they make you pay. Nowhere to hide.

Edited by Deej

23 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Been a good long minute since I played one (and mine was destroyed through no fault of its own, storage error) but La Patrie is a good option.  Owned by Godin.

http://www.lapatrieguitars.com/index.html

https://reverb.com/brand/la-patrie

Thanks.  This is kind of the thing I want to do with it.   Something to beat on and work on playing a different style.   The size of this one that Todd is playing is perfect.  

I really like this one from  your link:  

http://www.lapatrieguitars.com/guitar_45402_etude.html

45402_lapatrie_etude_angled.jpg

Edited by hullabelew

Okay, instead of fucking Washburn Wednesday, how about some guitar pr0n from artists with W as an initial?

Here is a damn sexy 1949 Gibson ES-5 owned by T-Bone Walker that is in great condition for its age.

t-bone-walker-gibson-1949-es-5-style-sho  

More about the guitar (and more pics) are here:

https://guitar.com/features/t-bone-walker-1949-gibson-es-5/

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 3