The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Holy WHAT THE FUCK Batman!! Strat the fuck?!?!?

...what in the '80s fuck is that?

And then here is where he tells us that it is "NOT A FENDER. I KNOW THAT IT LOOKS LIKE ONE..."

It is a Strat, but holy shit! 

YouTube should fucking shut this shit down if they are posting videos with things look like they were painted by 8 year-olds with paint ball guns.

21 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Holy WHAT THE FUCK Batman!! Strat the fuck?!?!?

...what in the '80s fuck is that?

And then here is where he tells us that it is "NOT A FENDER. I KNOW THAT IT LOOKS LIKE ONE..."

It is a Strat, but holy shit! 

YouTube should fucking shut this shit down if they are posting videos with things look like they were painted by 8 year-olds with paint ball guns.

Even Vernon Reid be like...

E4560277-824-D-4-DA1-B6-E8-231649132248.

• Like 1

I'm having trouble with fret buzz coming off of the low E and sometimes A.  I don't know if it's the way I pick those strings or hold the fret down or what but it's bothering me a lot.  I can play a scale and once I get past that low E string the notes ring but starting and finishing the scale I get the buzzing.

Any ideas?

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Nut may be cut wrong, string height at the bridge too low, or neck needs adjustment?

Thanks. I want to take it in to get restrung. I’ll have them check the buzzing when it’s there.  But what will I do without it?  Lol

You could go to war with that lineup right there.  Gold top with P90s, black and gold custom, Pelham blue SG.  Classics.  

Well if I ever had to go to war with them, first thing I’d do is block the Vibrola on the SG and add some weight to the electronics cavity. It’s pretty and plays great but the trem just won’t stay in tune and has a tendency to nose dive. But it was a gift from the Mrs and Jr. who know I’m a huge Wilco fan, so it’s a fav for that reason alone.

20 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Very similar to my only available Gibson at the moment. What did you say thebmadel is, L-something? Maybe more later.

219a653e299898199ce798776b6f2c0e.jpg

Yeah LG-0 I think. They were entry level in the 60s and mine has some serious damage. Not sure it’s worth fixing. But looks cool on the wall.  

4 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/squier-electric-guitars/stratocaster/affinity-series-stratocaster/0370600532.html

I'd've killed for one of these at 15 back in the g'rage bands days. A Fender Mustang was around 180 bucks IIRC.  

Trimmed the link down for you: https://shop.fender.com/en-US/squier-electric-guitars/stratocaster/affinity-series-stratocaster/0370600532.html

The aforementioned Squier in "Brown Sunburst" (The other "2 Color Sunburst" has a maple neck.)

Screen-Shot-2020-05-12-at-5-17-27-PM.png

Also available in:
-BLACK (Maple fretboard)
-2 COLOR SUNBURST (Maple fretboard)
-COMPETITION ORANGE (Indian Laurel fretboard)
-RACE RED (Indian Laurel fretboard)
-SLICK SILVER (Indian Laurel fretboard)
-SURF GREEN (Indian Laurel fretboard)

There is a guy wanting to sell a Gibson Custom Shop ES-335 w/Bigsby locally on Reverb for $2150.  He’s willing to let it go for $1900 with a local cash deal where there is no reverb cut or shipping costs involved.  The catch?  It has a neck repair the owner says is but does not affect functionality:

I am not the original owner of the guitar, it has a repair on the neck, that is how I bought it and it does not effect the playability of the instrument whatsoever there is definitely a visible "scar" but the repair was done correctly, no bumps or surface cracks, it was buffed out (look at pictures).”

Do you dismiss it outright due to the broken headstock and repair?  Do you go check it out in person and then decide?  If the latter, what would you make sure to check out? Intonation?  Tune it up a whole tone and see if it snaps, lol?

7-B81-F696-3-CCD-419-B-A5-C7-BD1-A451-A7

8-D2-CB2-DF-7-F4-B-4-B6-B-91-E6-415723-C

053253-E2-559-F-49-C4-A553-794-B6-B03-B6

9-BF8-FFA7-E291-46-C4-8-E7-A-7784-C89-BC

1 hour ago, Deej said:

if done right

That's what I can't tell from looking at that picture.  But yes, I agree.

[CSB] I once had an early 90s Goldtop/Goldback Les Paul Deluxe.  Paid about $1,000 for it. I can't recall if I didn't notice it when I bought it or if it fell off the stand under my watch, but at some point, I noticed a hairline crack underneath the gold flake at the headstock joint.  Whether it was psychosomatic, I'll never know, but I then noticed it wasn't staying in tune quite as well.  Talked to a trusted guitar store owner who said that it looked like a crack that would spread over time.  His concern was that unlike most repairs, the repair on the gold flake neck was going to be ugly as hell and diminish the value.  He said he was not interested in purchasing it.

So after mulling it for a month or so, I swung by Rockin' Robin in Houston to look around.  I'd been looking for an old combo amp and found a 1973 Deluxe Reverb there that was in pretty good shape and sounded incredible.  I offered up the Les Paul and watched them inspect it in the back (little hallway off to the side of the display case).  They looked like a couple of cartoon wolves, licking their chops.  They offered me an even swap for the amp.  I knew it wasn't a "good" deal, but I also was familiar enough with them to know that they thought it was a really shitty deal.  So I took a price tag to price tag $300 loss on the guitar and walked out with the amp.  They didn't mention the crack and, having taken a $300 loss over what I paid, I figured I had monetarily accounted for it.

I still have the amp and it's still my #1.  They listed that guitar for $3,500 on their website the next day.  I don't think I ever went back in there after that.  They always had a good selection of cool gear, but, at that time in the late 90s, there were much cooler guitar stores in Houston that weren't quite as obvious about screwing you over and would take the time to really talk to you about their gear. [/CSB]

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Talked to a trusted guitar store owner who said that it looked like a crack that would spread.  His concern was that unlike most repairs, the repair on the gold flake neck was going to be ugly as hell and diminish the value.

Yeah, I have no experience with repaired necks/headstocks, but my biggest concern would be even if it seems ok now, can I be sure that it wouldn't get any worse over time even if well cared for?  A secondary concern would be if having to see such a noticeable scar every time I tune up affects how I perceive the guitar.  G string out of tune again, oh look at that, I had almost forgotten I had a broke ass guitar. Well, that sucks.

Maybe I just need to buy an Eastman T348.

e0tzh7q0w5krkjlzabny.jpg

• Like 2

Eh, sorry, T486.  Edit:  Have decided to pass on the ES-335.  It's one thing to own a guitar, have an unfortunate accident and then pay to get it repaired and hope its ok and doesn't degrade over time.  Its another to pay $1900 for someone else's problem and to hope its been repaired well and doesn't degrade over time.  Thanks for the opinions.

Edited by Goredho

Gibson headstocks snap really easily.  If the repair is functional and feels smooth I wouldn't have an issue with it.  But I also wouldn't pay non headstock snapped off price for a headstock snapped off guitar.  I don't know how that relates to what the prices are above (I'm not up on what is normal for even new 335s and what different types of 335s exist).

If the repair is done right, the headstock is probably stronger now than it was before it snapped.  It's a common enough repair that... I don't want to say it's likely that it was done right, but it's likely that a lot of luthiers know exactly how to handle that issue.  Might be worth a google on what to look out for on Gibsons with that exact repair.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 1

https://hazeguitars.com/blog/why-do-gibson-headstocks-break

here is an article about that issue, which seems to do a pretty good job of explaining why this happens all the time

this is illustrative of the issue

BLOGIMG+-+Headstock+Breaks+-+Gibson+Head

29638d1458849361-cramped-truss-rod-cavit

that's probably not an actual Gibson and man I hope they're better than that, but that's straight grain right there and if that headstock hits the ground first it's going to come off.

It's also why some Martins have this little bit of embellishment

IMG-3658.jpg

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

Eh, sorry, T486.  Edit:  Have decided to pass on the ES-335.  It's one thing to own a guitar, have an unfortunate accident and then pay to get it repaired and hope its ok and doesn't degrade over time.  Its another to pay $1900 for someone else's problem and to hope its been repaired well and doesn't degrade over time.  Thanks for the opinions.

Crisis averted. 

• Haha 1

That's what I can't tell from looking at that picture.  But yes, I agree.
[CSB] I once had an early 90s Goldtop/Goldback Les Paul Deluxe.  Paid about $1,000 for it. I can't recall if I didn't notice it when I bought it or if it fell off the stand under my watch, but at some point, I noticed a hairline crack underneath the gold flake at the headstock joint.  Whether it was psychosomatic, I'll never know, but I then noticed it wasn't staying in tune quite as well.  Talked to a trusted guitar store owner who said that it looked like a crack that would spread over time.  His concern was that unlike most repairs, the repair on the gold flake neck was going to be ugly as hell and diminish the value.  He said he was not interested in purchasing it.
So after mulling it for a month or so, I swung by Rockin' Robin in Houston to look around.  I'd been looking for an old combo amp and found a 1973 Deluxe Reverb there that was in pretty good shape and sounded incredible.  I offered up the Les Paul and watched them inspect it in the back (little hallway off to the side of the display case).  They looked like a couple of cartoon wolves, licking their chops.  They offered me an even swap for the amp.  I knew it wasn't a "good" deal, but I also was familiar enough with them to know that they thought it was a really shitty deal.  So I took a price tag to price tag $300 loss on the guitar and walked out with the amp.  They didn't mention the crack and, having taken a $300 loss over what I paid, I figured I had monetarily accounted for it.
I still have the amp and it's still my #1.  They listed that guitar for $3,500 on their website the next day.  I don't think I ever went back in there after that.  They always had a good selection of cool gear, but, at that time in the late 90s, there were much cooler guitar stores in Houston that weren't quite as obvious about screwing you over and would take the time to really talk to you about their gear. [/CSB]

Genuinely not trying to be a dick, but how did they screw you over if you agreed to the price and understood what they were doing the whole time?

I've purchased guitars with dings and whatnot, but I would never buy one with a repaired headstock unless it was something like half off buyer-to-buyer and I knew I was never going to resell it.  The thing is, I rarely buy something with the expectation that I will never sell it.

• Like 2