The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I've purchased guitars with dings and whatnot, but I would never buy one with a repaired headstock unless it was something like half off buyer-to-buyer and I knew I was never going to resell it.  The thing is, I rarely buy something with the expectation that I will never sell it.

This. You’re just buying other peoples problems.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Goredho said:

Yeah, I have no experience with repaired necks/headstocks, but my biggest concern would be even if it seems ok now, can I be sure that it wouldn't get any worse over time even if well cared for?  A secondary concern would be if having to see such a noticeable scar every time I tune up affects how I perceive the guitar.  G string out of tune again, oh look at that, I had almost forgotten I had a broke ass guitar. Well, that sucks.

Maybe I just need to buy an Eastman T348.

e0tzh7q0w5krkjlzabny.jpg

Looking back, I could have kept it, repaired it, and loved it.  Good repairs hold up fine.  And my opinion now on a lot of my guitars is that dings and scrapes are fine and appreciated.  But, I have a better LP now.  So no regurts.  Plus, I like Goldtops with the mahogany backs better than the Goldmember models.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Celery Man said:

https://hazeguitars.com/blog/why-do-gibson-headstocks-break

here is an article about that issue, which seems to do a pretty good job of explaining why this happens all the time

this is illustrative of the issue

BLOGIMG+-+Headstock+Breaks+-+Gibson+Head

29638d1458849361-cramped-truss-rod-cavit

that's probably not an actual Gibson and man I hope they're better than that, but that's straight grain right there and if that headstock hits the ground first it's going to come off.

It's also why some Martins have this little bit of embellishment

IMG-3658.jpg

The embellishment is the "volute."  Gibson started putting them on its guitars during the Norlin era.  I have a 1970 335 with a small one and never knew I was supposed to hate it.  They apparently got bigger over time and did nothing to prevent breaks. 

Maybe not nothing though.  The 335 of mine is a museum piece apart from a ding at the very top of the headstock.  My dumbass was taking it and the strap off my shoulder overhead.  Right into the ceiling fan.  Headstock is fine.  But there's a chip in an otherwise flawless guitar.  I was pissed then.  Now, I don't care.  It plays like a dream and is fifty years old!

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Genuinely not trying to be a dick, but how did they screw you over if you agreed to the price and understood what they were doing the whole time?

I should have said that their apparent intent was to screw me over by paying/exchanging way less than than they believed it to be worth and listing it for $2,500 more than Guitar Center of all places had a year or three earlier.  I was not, in fact, screwed on that transaction.  But they low balled me for years, and their gear always was pretty pricey ($650--$700 for a 73 DR in 1998 was a bit steep; silverface hadn't hit its stride on the collector's market).  So it was a decision not to return based on a cumulative transaction history.  But my story already was getting too lengthy for my own attention span. 

I didn't take it as dickish . . . Dick.  ;)

Anyone have experience with Eastmans?  I am reading extremely good things, liking what I hear in vid reviews and this black with white binding I posted a pic of earlier gives me a 007 shaken not stirred tuxedo hardon.  I have always thought it a shame that 335s in black don't have white bindings on the F-holes, because they just disappear into the guitar body and can't be seen.  These are around $1200 new.  I can get that black one for $900.  For comparison, a new ES-335 would be around $3K.  You aren't allowed to give opinions, @noharleyyet:D  

e0tzh7q0w5krkjlzabny.jpg

Edited by Goredho

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Firefly thinline Teles back in stock for $129

https://guitarsgarden.com/collections/ffth-hollow-body-guitars

Have no need for a FFPTH, but was considering pulling the trigger for a bit and then thought "WTF?!?! am I thinking??"

I bought 338s and then wondered what I had done. ("Brown" spalted, the Purple, and a Blue Transparent.) The Purple is pretty much perfect. The Blue T has a slight binding issue in one spot, but not much. The Brown has some spalting lines that look like the outline of Argentina, so I'm partial to it, but I think that it also has some filler in the spalted part (under the clear coats) and a little binding issue. 

Haven't touched any of them other than to take them out of the box and photograph them. I feel like until I sell off two, I don't need to buy another guitar for over $50. (I'm really happy with my $30 guitar that came with an extra pack of strings from last Saturday... but don't need another one that I can't buy with pocket cash.)

15 hours ago, Goredho said:

Anyone have experience with Eastmans?  I am reading extremely good things, liking what I hear in vid reviews and this black with white binding I posted a pic of earlier gives me a 007 shaken not stirred tuxedo hardon.  I have always thought it a shame that 335s in black don't have white bindings on the F-holes, because they just disappear into the guitar body and can't be seen.  These are around $1200 new.  I can get that black one for $900.  For comparison, a new ES-335 would be around $3K.  You aren't allowed to give opinions, @noharleyyet:D  

e0tzh7q0w5krkjlzabny.jpg

Follow Willie's advice to Kinky Friedman about gambling (a gambling addict):  You know it's what you want to do.  You should do it.

• Haha 1

Would y'all be open to a beginners thread?  I've seen a few people post about picking up guitar due to being stuck at home.  Stress relief and a healthy habit.  I know a blues shuffle and a few chords, but I'm having issues on an acoustic transitioning between chords in standard tuning.  G to C, right now.  It's all about hand shapes, but I learn quickly with mimicking a teacher.  Online learning is tricky for me.  Fender Play has been good, but they don't emphasize repetition to a degree that I feel is necessary.  When I was in an orchestra on multiple instruments,  I had to practice each part until the neighbors were ready to call the cops.  Same shit over and over for days on end.

Point is, I don't want anyone picking up the guitar to give up based on the Fender Play app.  It's good, but if you're not familiar with what it takes to learn an instrument it might be frustrating.  Not pointing at Fender Play exclusively.  I've enjoyed the experience, but I know that my learning style might not fit their model 100%.

45 minutes ago, tigol said:

Would y'all be open to a beginners thread?  I've seen a few people post about picking up guitar due to being stuck at home.  Stress relief and a healthy habit.  I know a blues shuffle and a few chords, but I'm having issues on an acoustic transitioning between chords in standard tuning.  G to C, right now.  It's all about hand shapes, but I learn quickly with mimicking a teacher.  Online learning is tricky for me.  Fender Play has been good, but they don't emphasize repetition to a degree that I feel is necessary.  When I was in an orchestra on multiple instruments,  I had to practice each part until the neighbors were ready to call the cops.  Same shit over and over for days on end.

Point is, I don't want anyone picking up the guitar to give up based on the Fender Play app.  It's good, but if you're not familiar with what it takes to learn an instrument it might be frustrating.  Not pointing at Fender Play exclusively.  I've enjoyed the experience, but I know that my learning style might not fit their model 100%.

I learned the traditional c chord over 40 years ago and I still hate it. My fingers don't like it. I usually try to find a way around it if I can.

13 minutes ago, DougO said:

I learned the traditional c chord over 40 years ago and I still hate it. My fingers don't like it. I usually try to find a way around it if I can.

Damnit!  Same.  I hate it.  G is fun.

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I emailed my buddy about the Firefly Tele knockoffs, and he grabbed a greenie.  Pics to eventually follow.  $129 is hard to bitch about.

At $129, it would be a fine value in man cave wall art, let alone a functional guitar.

11 hours ago, tigol said:

Yes.  I'm in the same boat as you.  I did end up purchasing a learning method online.  At least it gives some structure as opposed to YouTube and throwing a bunch of shit on the wall to see if it sticks.

So far so good.  I do feel like I'm progressing.

11 hours ago, tigol said:

I got my kids a subscription to https://www.justinguitar.com/site-map-and-lesson-structure and its solid.  One of the practice elements he preaches are chord changes for like 60 seconds.  Basically practice strumming that G and C back to back as quickly as you can accurately.  Accurately being the more important of the two.  Seems kind of silly, but damn if it hasn’t helped the kids get their fingers more comfortable changing shapes more fluidly.

The other thing I like from him that I see helping my kids are the ear training exercises.  Things like hum/sing a melody you know from memory while playing the notes on the guitar to develop associations between the sounds you make with your voice with sounds you hear in your head with sounds you hear in your ears with sounds you make on the guitar.

Edited by Goredho

5 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I got my kids a subscription to https://www.justinguitar.com/site-map-and-lesson-structure and its solid.  One of the practice elements he preaches are chord changes for like 60 seconds.  Basically practice strumming that G and C back to back as quickly as you can accurately.  Accurately being the more important of the two.  Seems kind of silly, but damn if it hasn’t helped the kids get their fingers more comfortable changing shapes more fluidly.

The other thing I like from him that I see helping my kids are the ear training exercises.  Things like hum/sing a melody you know from memory while playing the notes on the guitar to develop associations between the sounds you make with your voice with sounds you hear in your head with sounds you hear in your ears with sounds you make on the guitar.

$99 for a lifetime subscription seems like it might be worth it.

12 minutes ago, Goredho said:

And you can do most if not all the beginner stuff for free.  Easy enough to try and see if it’s giving you value.

Yeah, I've been scoping out different on line learning sites as I feel like I've hit quite the plateau.  In contrast, True Fire's lifetime is $2k (!!!).  They have a lot more on offer though.  I'd rather have a new guitar, but knowing how to play the ones I have seems like an investment worthy of pursuing.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Yeah, I've been scoping out different on line learning sites as I feel like I've hit quite the plateau.  In contrast, True Fire's lifetime is $2k (!!!).  They have a lot more on offer though.  I'd rather have a new guitar, but knowing how to play the ones I have seems like an investment worthy of pursuing.

My plateau breaker is to go learn a new song or three written by others that are slightly outside my comfort zone either technically or in style.  Once I can play them well, my own playing/writing tends to have had the reset button pushed.

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

I kind of think of you are going to be a guitar player you just have to be able to play a c chord pretty easily.

And screw that weird c shape g chord. I play g with the pinky on 3rd fret e string and ring finger on 3rd fret b string. Sounds better that way to me.

I play G

32003x

3x003x

depending on what notes I want and what else I'm doing. How I shape them also has a lot to do with what else I'm playing, and if I'm doing a lot of C and G it's usually staying in that shape unless I really want both the high D and G.  3x003x played with either middle finger and ring finger or ring finger and pinky is really handy (or I guess... un-handy) if you're playing weird shapes or doing a lot of walking around.  First encountered that learning "You Shook Me All Night Long", but man picking out this video (I know i've linked this before) was a really cool "here's different ways you can play chords and walk around" learning experience for me

• Like 2