The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

3 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

That's what I've learned plus removing finger 3.

Yes, without 3 it's the "standard" open G.  To me it's more susceptible to noticeable tuning errors, and definitely sounds worse through an amp.  I think the more robust sound is due to all but one string playing the root and the fifth, whereas in "standard" configuration, you have two strings voicing the third.  By adding that fourth fingered position you have a more open chord, mostly G and D.  Rock 'n roll.

I'm with celeryman again. I play a G chord about 5 different ways depending on what I'm playing and what chords are around it. If I include the D (3rd fret) on the B string I usually mute the B on the 5th string so that I wind up with 3 voicings of G accompanied by 1 voicing only of each the B and D in the chord (G-x-D-G-B-G)

I also like that shape when you have a C and D in a piece, sometimes I'll keep those to strings (B & high E) fretted through all those chords so that I wind up with G-C9-Dsus. Theres something cool about the bass end of those chords changing while the top 2 strings on the high end never change.

When I play a song in the key of G I'll likely play it with my pinky fretting the G on the high E string and the B string open, so that I can easily put my pointy finger on the 1st fret of the high E making it a G7 to add some flavor to a chord change.

Versatile chord that G, including simply muting the low E, A, and high E strings and just playing the open D-G-A like Billy Gibbons.

• Like 1

I got some shit for sale.

Fender jazz bass
Squier vintage jazz bass
Ampeg 350
Ampeg 15 cabinet

All is like BRAND FUCKING NEW except for the fender which is in a AWESOME shape because I can’t play any of this stuff

a523356260f162b2bed86a7e7f75fba6.jpgd23e7cb8aba77aca140d5cfa10b67a03.jpg

Also these premier are for sale because I have too many sets and I don’t even play.

I also have some rims from a 996 and some pipes for a triumph bonneville

Someone start buying my shit plz.

Fender has Bartolinis but I have some custom shop 60’s still in packaging for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 5/15/2020 at 10:09 AM, Celery Man said:

I think there was a beginner's thread at one point maybe in hobbies or cyhmwt but it didn't get much traction.  I'd definitely be interested in following along with y'all's journey and helping out/revisiting basics along the way

Thanks for all of the help, everyone.  I'll try to find this thread.

To be clear, I would support also just trying again from scratch. I’m glad that this thread is here instead of hobbies, but a newbie guitar thread I think definitely fits either here or hobbies and I think the other one might have been cyhmwt.

Badass tbone

She’s got a great voice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

iPhone mic doesn’t come close to doing it justice. She can nail everything from Linda Ronstadt to Bonnie Raitt to Amy Winehouse to Stevie Nicks, Sheryl Crow, etc etc. It’s really fun to play with someone who can sing like that.
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

like the mint pickguard

I do too.  I wasn’t sure I was going to like it but it looks better in person than pics.  A white pickguard is just too white.  Maybe if I were to tape one to the roof of my truck for the summer as a DIY relic job.

Edited by Goredho

13 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I do too.  I wasn’t sure I was going to like it but it looks better in person than pics.  A white pickguard is just too white.  Maybe if I were to tape one to the roof of my truck for the summer as a DIY relic job.

Just set it in a window of the house that gets sun.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 11:34 AM, tigol said:

Thanks for all of the help, everyone.  I'll try to find this thread.

Post here if you start one or find one to bump.  I'm 1 week in as of today.  I decided to use JustinGuitar vs. the other sites, at least initially.  So far it seems like his lessons make sense for beginners.

• Like 1

I have a question for anyone who might know...

Singer wants to switch to using a condenser mic that requires phantom power. Our mixer has it but it’s a general switch and not channel specific.

Question is, if using phantom power do all mics need to need it or is it ok to mix and match? My mic is an SM58. She wants to use a fancy Sennheiser (which really does sound fantastic).

So I guess the question is whether or not it’s ok to send phantom power to a mic that doesn’t need it?

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

So I guess the question is whether or not it’s ok to send phantom power to a mic that doesn’t need it?

Your SM58 should be fine if you send it phantom (48V) power, assuming the mic and cable are working correctly.  You *might* notice a bit more hum than usual.

An alternative would be to pick up a discrete phantom power supply just for her condenser microphone.  You can get cheap ones for $30 or so.

• Like 1

Since it is probably lost upthread, I will mention again that Fender Play is free for three months with no credit card required so no worries about auto-renewal. Thought some of you guys wanting to learn might be interested. 

The post for the knobs on that guitar are really soft. I chalk that up to cost cutting stuff that Fender has done to varying degrees on their Mexican guitars over the years, and that's a good example of what I would point to when it comes to "what's the difference between a budget Fender and a pro Fender". The screw that holds the knob into place cut a valley into the post and was generally ineffective at holding the knob on, especially given that I used the volume control all the time.  It flew off at some point during a show and then was gone forever.

That's a guitar I'd like to turn into a project - it would be cool to replace the electronics (except the "custom" 59 pickups which I love), repaint or replace the body, keep the neck which I love and contains all the mojo, keep the bridge. Get a new pickguard.

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Since it is probably lost upthread, I will mention again that Fender Play is free for three months with no credit card required so no worries about auto-renewal. Thought some of you guys wanting to learn might be interested. 

I probably should do it myself and go over a lot of fundamentals I was too lazy to have time for, but my wannabe bass player friend really needs to do this.

• Like 1