The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I visited a pawn shop this past weekend, one that had some pretty decent guitars before. It was just about cleaned out. The pawn shop people said stuff is flying out the door and it's the same with all the pawn shops around. Weird, I would have thought it would be prime pickin' time with people short on cash, a buyer's market. I guess poors are spending the stimulus money on guitars.

Lots of “always wanted to try guitar” guys stuck at home.
  • Like 2

I'm surprised the Armada didn't become more popular. I thought Ernie Ball really came up with something unique and stylish. I get the Dorito or pizza slice thing, but in black and white livery, as well as a few other color combos, it works. Like, in a if-ZZ-Top-went-to-church kinda way.

10 hours ago, Deej said:

So, the Firefly LP...is that the grain of an actual maple cap, or a veneer?

10 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s a veneer but consensus is that it’s actual wood, not a sticker.

It’s a veneer and every guitar is different. Every 338 Spalted Brown is different. Every butterfly pattern of the wood is usually close to being identical, but just off enough to give you the impression that there is no way that that spalted maple isn’t real. 

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Re: PAWN SHOPS

Lots of “always wanted to try guitar” guys stuck at home.

I hit the pawn shops in late March/start of April and feel comfortable that I can flip my buys for profits. Things have changed since late March/ early April. 

I hit the pawn shops in late March/start of April and feel comfortable that I can flip my buys for profits. Things have changed since late March/ early April. 

I’ve been keeping track on eBay and Reverb. There’s plenty of price drops, but only in the “I could use the money but I still like this guitar” category. Not much in the “OMG I have to sell this NOW!” range. I think it’s coming, but we may be a couple months out from it.

I think the Armada is the best looking "new" guitar style I've seen in decades.  It's really stunning.  It definitely has a certain vibe, almost mid-century modern, but whatever, they pulled it off and made it look super high quality.
I like both that one and the Albert Lee model, reminds me of the Jetsons or something.

b770830bcdb8b133c696b40afd6f6bef.jpg
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I like both that one and the Albert Lee model, reminds me of the Jetsons or something.

b770830bcdb8b133c696b40afd6f6bef.jpg

I was considering the Daphne Blue version of this for a while. I watched an Italian guy do a review of it , but I thought that his version had dual humbuckers that allowed for coil-splitting.

and I also thought “The Jetsons” from the moment I saw it until right now. Almost wrote it before seeing your comment. Just don’t know if I like Daphne Blue on a Jetsons shape, even though they are from the same era. . 

Edited by Napoleon

I was considering the Daphne Blue version of this for a while. I watched an Italian guy do a review of it , but I thought that his version had dual humbuckers that allowed for coil-splitting.
and I also thought “The Jetsons” from the moment I saw it until right now. Almost wrote it before seeing your comment. Just don’t know if I like Daphne Blue on a Jetsons shape, even though they are from the same era. . 
Yes, they offer them with twin humbuckers as well. If you've never played one you should. They feel small, but normal scale length.

I think the Albert Lee looks cool as hell. I was tempted to pick up a used Sterling HH model in Daphne Blue that was on CL a few months ago for like $250. I haven’t played a real EBMM one, but I’d like to try one sometime.

Since we’re posting funky shaped guitars, I figured now was a good time to post mine. I posted this guitar on TOS, but don’t think I’ve posted it here. It’s a Phantom Phantele that my GF got me for my birthday a few years ago. Based on the Vox Phantom, but with Tele type parts.

3631-C80-C-7592-4-B1-E-A3-FA-C9408538836

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:
4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Yes, they offer them with twin humbuckers as well. If you've never played one you should. They feel small, but normal scale length.

I thought that they were 24" scale length* (WRONG!), like a Mustang or a Jaguar.

I saw one hanging up at the Guitar Center I went to about two weeks ago. The location where I asked for a Jaguar, was handed a Jazzmaster, tried the Jazzmaster (J. Mascis model) and liked the feel of the neck, but really would prefer a 24" so I asked for a Jaguar again and the sales guys told me that it was the same as a Jazzmaster. Then I corrected him. Then thanked him and left.

Perhaps I'll go back and try the Jetson.

L00109000001001-00-220x220.jpg

*They are 25.5" scale. https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/sterling-by-music-man-albert-lee-hh-electric-guitar?rNtt=sterling by music man&index=18

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Deej said:

So now I understand why the Black Firefly Les Paul I bought has gold hardware. 

I was thinking of switching it out with the silver/chrome hardware on the purple 338 I got, but I've had a change of heart and will probably sell them for now.

I like this guy's presentation, but I remember him talking a little more slowly in the last one I saw, so I sped that one up to 1.25 speed and  I did that again this time when I saw that it was going to take 38+ minutes to watch the little clip.

Les Paul was Steve Miller's godfather. Cool stuff.

Here's an interesting auction item that won't cost you $6M:

I grew up in a small college town about 100 miles SW of St. Louis.  We had two residents who were "celebrities" -- John Brown (Atlanta Hawks) and Tom Shipley (Brewer & Shipley). 

Tom Shipley and Mike Brewer were the folk rock duo behind the hit "One Toke Over The Line", and this was Tom's guitar for both writing that tune and performing on stage for many years.

Sounds like it will pull $10K+.  Comes with goodies.  One of you big bank guys needs to buy it.

One Toke Over The Line, Sweet Jesus

• Like 3

I fiddled with those Fireflys some but I have no luthier skills. Like at all. I couldn’t solve the buzz.

So I decided to drop them at a local shop but they recommended me to a local luthier, so a few miles down the road and I ended up in this guy’s basement shop:

e1fd1ec85e8164fdf562d2bf6020a650.jpg

517645f8593c53437e1852aeb99b3f49.jpg

096df11d42c473ae3abb2c7017134de3.jpg

He had a rack of about a half dozen Martins that I didn’t get a pic of.

He adjusted the truss rods and found some high frets on the LP, and they are in much better shape than before. Not perfect but much better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I couldn’t solve the buzz. So I decided to drop them at... a local luthier... a few miles down the road and I ended up in this guy’s basement shop. 

He adjusted the truss rods and found some high frets on the LP, and they are in much better shape than before. Not perfect but much better.

096df11d42c473ae3abb2c7017134de3.jpg

He had a rack of about a half dozen Martins that I didn’t get a pic of.

Did he have any suggestions for ultimately getting rid of the buzz?

-New bridge?
-New nut?
-Different strings?

Did he have any suggestions for ultimately getting rid of the buzz?

-New bridge?
-New nut?
-Different strings?

No. He kept handing the LP back to me with a little buzz like he had fixed it, and I eventually just stopped handing it back to him when it got acceptable. It’s barely noticeable when plugged in. I’m just going to keep playing them and breaking them in more and see how it goes. I do plan to replace the bridge itself on the P90 model.
  • Like 1

Yea jj, with a 22" kick. I was going to get a 20" kick for the shallow 14" depth vs 18" on the 22" since space is limited, but I talked to my rep there and they had a limited edition where the 22" had a 16" depth, plus I get a 16" floor tom over the 14" that came with the 20". On top of all that, it's a 5 piece, I was looking for a 4 piece. They are really blowing them out at Sweetwater if your in the market.

Just now, AnotherUTFan said:

Yea jj, with a 22" kick. I was going to get a 20" kick for the shallow 14" depth vs 18" on the 22" since space is limited, but I talked to my rep there and they had a limited edition where the 22" had a 16" depth, plus I get a 16" floor tom over the 14" that came with the 20". On top of all that, it's a 5 piece, I was looking for a 4 piece. They are really blowing them out at Sweetwater if your in the market.

Can’t wait to order a badass drum set when we eventually build a new house

• Like 1

Bridge replaced, fretboard oiled, frets polished:

b8799f5c40385afbf9be139505395394.jpg

and then restrung. Good news: no more buzz from the bridge. Bad news, a lot of fret buzz. I think the neck still needs some more relief and then I can futz with the individual saddles if needed. I have a straight edge coming in a couple days.

I think what all this has taught me more than anything is...

982c3d3da44e35dcc66b75a8a85e1cc3.jpg

...she’ll always be my baby.

• Like 4