The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

17 hours ago, sidis said:

been searching for a good pedal for some more ambient sounds and gave this one a run.  really nice sound and would recommend for sure. 

pedal.jpg

15 hours ago, Goredho said:

Gonna need a tone demo :)

I was thinking the same, but couldn't wait, so I went here...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Bridge replaced, fretboard oiled, frets polished:

b8799f5c40385afbf9be139505395394.jpg

and then restrung. Good news: no more buzz from the bridge. Bad news, a lot of fret buzz. I think the neck still needs some more relief and then I can futz with the individual saddles if needed. I have a straight edge coming in a couple days.

I think what all this has taught me more than anything is...

982c3d3da44e35dcc66b75a8a85e1cc3.jpg

...she’ll always be my baby.

Problem with the tele is you were 2 shy of a six pak. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Cool, “Explosions in the Sky” in a box.

That is precisely correct.  And exactly how I would describe it...and i'm sure you have no issue in figuring out why it was what I was looking for.  particularly with the feedback and delay combination sounds.

forgot about the pedal thread so apologies for injecting this in the wrong thread.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sidis said:

That is precisely correct.  And exactly how I would describe it...and i'm sure you have no issue in figuring out why it was what I was looking for.  particularly with the feedback and delay combination sounds.

forgot about the pedal thread so apologies for injecting this in the wrong thread.

I kind of wish everything guitar, amp and pedals were here, to be honest.

• Like 4

Desirable Orangewood Guitars are back in stock:

382124877_ScreenShot2020-06-26at4_16_47PM.png.4a89aff63a99b74f2cc34283f9a7e851.png

OVERLAND COLLECTION (including OLIVER & OLIVER JR): https://orangewoodguitars.com/collections/overland-collection

PLAYA COLLECTION (including DANA travel guitars & Victoria w/ 25.5" scale, but smaller body): https://orangewoodguitars.com/collections/playa-collection

Use code  DARRELLSFRIENDS10  and you 10% off, plus I don't think that there was any tax added either.

They're not as bad as Firefly guitars, but they've been sold out of the Olivers & the Dana about 75% to 90% of the days over the last couple of months.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

"Trade"

Lulz.

it is possible there were a few extra funds expended.

so not surprisingly, this bit of insanity on my part inspired some digging out of accessories and I am currently reformulating my signal chain to the amp.  I think the right to left ordering will be the default.  if any of you pros out there have any thoughts or recommendations for a better chain, i would be appreciative.  i am tempted to move the ethereal (delay & reverb) to after the amp and run a return.

IMG_5918.thumb.jpg.a2a6b34fea15dc881aaf9e451c515a13.jpg

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I have been eyeing that Ethereal pedal for a few days now. 

It’s on sale everywhere for $30 OFF. I really like the sounds that come out of it. 

I’m guessing that you’re a fan. 

Love it. Absolutely love it. But if you go to the composition thread and listen to the music I make, you will see why. It is definitely for creating ambient textures, swells, and spacey sounds. As goredho said above, it is explosions in the sky in a box. However, it also adds some pretty cool sounds when paired with some of the more rock type sounds like the octafuzz. 

if you’re in need of some reverb that makes you feel like you’re in a giant hall, plus a really nice delay with good optional other, I would definitely recommend. 

• Like 3

Neighbor is moving out and knows I’m a guitar guy, dropped these on my porch:

f4088d5b95392455f332a4cc2bab0278.jpge3b7e23ae8afecfeff3238c3e89edd7b.jpg

Epiphone Special II. It’s a boat paddle bolt-on but hey, #14. I plan to set it up and make that my daughter’s rig if it’s playable enough. The little 15W Spider should be fun for a bedroom amp for her.

• Like 7

That's a nice gift.  I've had a couple of Gibson fadeds -- sold one to Brickhorn -- I assume the Epi is of similar quality.  Classic, functional guitars.

So why does it have a giant nipple by the bridge?

Edited by jimmyjazz

6 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

Anybody here play a P-bass with flat wound strings?

If so, I’d like to hear your thoughts. Specifically, does a P-bass with flat wounds cover all your bases or do you still feel the need to have another bass with round wound strings on it?

i think it's just a matter of preference. But they set up differently, more tension with flat wound strings. So if you want to have both types to use for different things it's better to have a second bass rather than having to set up the same one all over again.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's a nice gift.  I've had a couple of Gibson fadeds -- sold one to Brickhorn -- I assume the Epi is of similar quality.  Classic, functional guitars.

So why does it have a giant nipple by the bridge?

Had a Faded SG that I got for $300. Nice guitar. Neck dive was brutal, though. Traded it for a Silverface Champ and $300. 

I have to say, I got a good strap for my SG and it's like a new guitar to me.  Just having the right strap cured the neck dive and now it's my new favorite.  

That said, I may have to hit the road during all this...unpleasantness.  Anyone have a suggestion for a good travel-size/parlour guitar?  

I never really thought about it before, but labeling the neck position pickup as "Rhythm" seems slightly unsettling to me.

I had a switch plate made for my frankentele (Les Paul style setup) I’ve mentioned before that labels the neck and bridge positions “Sick” and “Gnarly”.

Seemed like better descriptions to me.

The SG has become my favorite guitar to play as well. But I only play sitting down these days, never have to deal with the neck dive issue or a strap.

I just need to figure out how to fix the nut from sticking so it will stay in tune better. That was why I put it in temporary "time out" a couple of months ago.

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I had a switch plate made for my frankentele (Les Paul style setup) I’ve mentioned before that labels the neck and bridge positions “Sick” and “Gnarly”.

Seemed like better descriptions to me.

The one on my G&L Tele says “Ramble” and “Wreck”. 

And yes the guitar nipple is a reflection of a can light. Got her cleaned up and set up a little better and she’s not a bad little guitar. The body isn’t carved at all and pretty thin. Are the faded Gibson’s a flat finish? This is glossy. 

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Anyone have a suggestion for a good travel-size/parlour guitar?

I have one of these. It’s not the most playable guitar I’ve ever owned, it’s a pain to restring, and it goes out of tune easily.  But... it has a full-sized fretboard and on-board electronics, and is very portable. I typically take mine on vacations and extended work trips. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Foggy Notion said:

Anybody here play a P-bass with flat wound strings?

If so, I’d like to hear your thoughts. Specifically, does a P-bass with flat wounds cover all your bases or do you still feel the need to have another bass with round wound strings on it?

Unless you are in a RHCP cover band or play a ton of slap or metal, a P bass with flats should really cover most if not all your bass tone. Steve Harris uses them, so I guess they actually can cover metal pretty well too.... 

DougO is correct that going back and forth can be a  huge pain due to the higher string tension of flats. So, in the spirit of this thread, yes you need 2 and please post pics of our new bass when it arrives.

Are you playing with flats now? What (if anything) do you think is missing?

• Like 2

0-EC3-E732-9-C9-B-41-C9-9690-8-FEF9-C6-C

Pic of our new bass as requested. It’s a 2005 CIJ ‘62 reissue. 

It’s been a few years since I had a bass with flats. I liked them a lot, but at the time I also had a second bass with round wounds. I really like the fit and feel of this new bass, and I’m already thinking of selling my other long scale. But maybe having two long scales is the answer. 

And yeah, I’m not interested in swapping flats and rounds on this bass. I’m gonna be taking it to my luthier to get a new nut, so I want to have it setup with new strings and then not have to mess with it for a while. Flat wounds last forever too, which is another reason I’m tempted to go with them on this bass. I think I’m gonna have this one for a while. 

• Like 9