The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I have one of these. It’s not the most playable guitar I’ve ever owned, it’s a pain to restring, and it goes out of tune easily.  But... it has a full-sized fretboard and on-board electronics, and is very portable. I typically take mine on vacations and extended work trips. 

My brother has one of those and also recommended.

I've seen a few people on fecebook posting pics of their red, white and blue guitars together. It made me realize the glaring weakness in my guitar pron game. Of my 20-something guitars I don't have a single blue one, and blue is my favorite color.

5 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

My brother has one of those and also recommended.

I would look for a used one, though. Pretty sure I got mine used for $200. And go in with realistic expectations about quality. It’s not a 59 Les Paul or a custom Collings. It was worth $200 to me to have an electric with a headphone jack and full scale fretboard that is about the size of a violin.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

I've seen a few people on fecebook posting pics of their red, white and blue guitars together. It made me realize the glaring weakness in my guitar pron game. Of my 20-something guitars I don't have a single blue one, and blue is my favorite color.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Come to think of it, I don't think I have a white one, either.

You should be cast into the Gorge of Eternal Peril.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 9:50 PM, Chad Fuck said:

I have to say, I got a good strap for my SG and it's like a new guitar to me.  Just having the right strap cured the neck dive and now it's my new favorite.  

That said, I may have to hit the road during all this...unpleasantness.  Anyone have a suggestion for a good travel-size/parlour guitar?  

ORANGEWOOD "VICTORIA" is a nice parlor sized guitar than you don't have to worry about dinging up.

ORANGEWOOD_VICTORIA_SPRUCE_BEGINNER_ACOU

$125, but you can get 10% OFF by entering "DARRELLSFRIENDS10" and it coms with a padded gig bag, plus no tax.

Specifications
• Electronics: N/A
• Tuners: Chrome Die-Cast
• Neck Shape: C
• Scale: 25.5"
• Nut / Saddle: Bone
• Nut Width: 43mm
• Bracing: Scalloped X
• Finish: Natural Satin

Dimensions
• Overall Length: 39 13/16”
• Body Length: 19 1/4”
• Body Depth: 3 15/16"
• Upper Bout: 11 1/16”
• Middle Bout: 9 9/16”
• Lower Bout: 15 1/4”

Features

• Body Shape: Grand Concert 
• Top Wood: Layered Spruce 
• Back / Sides: Layered Mahogany 
• Neck: Mahogany 
• Fretboard: Hybrid Wood 
• Bridge: Hybrid Wood 
• Pickguard: Included (Optional) 
• Gig Bag: Included

https://orangewoodguitars.com/collections/playa-collection/products/victoria

Or you can go with one of the smaller Dana guitars (Mahogany or Spruce) for the same price.

https://orangewoodguitars.com/collections/playa-collection

On 7/3/2020 at 9:50 PM, Chad Fuck said:

I have to say, I got a good strap for my SG and it's like a new guitar to me.  Just having the right strap cured the neck dive and now it's my new favorite.  

That said, I may have to hit the road during all this...unpleasantness.  Anyone have a suggestion for a good travel-size/parlour guitar?  

1983571792_ScreenShot2020-07-05at11_18_22AM.thumb.png.74751402efda577fb3811cd33ed069b2.png

Musician's Friend's STUPID DEAL OF THE DAY $399 down from $699.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Napoleon said:

ORANGEWOOD "VICTORIA" is a nice parlor sized guitar than you don't have to worry about dinging up.

ORANGEWOOD_VICTORIA_SPRUCE_BEGINNER_ACOU

$125, but you can get 10% OFF by entering "DARRELLSFRIENDS10" and it coms with a padded gig bag, plus no tax.

Specifications
• Electronics: N/A
• Tuners: Chrome Die-Cast
• Neck Shape: C
• Scale: 25.5"
• Nut / Saddle: Bone
• Nut Width: 43mm
• Bracing: Scalloped X
• Finish: Natural Satin

Dimensions
• Overall Length: 39 13/16”
• Body Length: 19 1/4”
• Body Depth: 3 15/16"
• Upper Bout: 11 1/16”
• Middle Bout: 9 9/16”
• Lower Bout: 15 1/4”

Features

• Body Shape: Grand Concert 
• Top Wood: Layered Spruce 
• Back / Sides: Layered Mahogany 
• Neck: Mahogany 
• Fretboard: Hybrid Wood 
• Bridge: Hybrid Wood 
• Pickguard: Included (Optional) 
• Gig Bag: Included

https://orangewoodguitars.com/collections/playa-collection/products/victoria

Or you can go with one of the smaller Dana guitars (Mahogany or Spruce) for the same price.

https://orangewoodguitars.com/collections/playa-collection

What two trees do they mate to produce hybrid wood offspring?

Ok, I need some help. I've fucked around with guitars for 20 years now, but my now retired father has decided he wants to try and pick it up now that he has a ton of free time. His hands are on the smaller side with fat fingers. He needs an acoustic, for very basic strumming on the back porch. What do you guys recommend these days for something that may wind up in the closet after 6 months? I want to get him something decent, but don't want to spend more than $500 or so. Also, do I get him the beginner package with the books and stuff, since he isn't very computer savy to get on some youtube lessons?   

You can get a Taylor Academy 10 or Academy 12 for $499 from Sweetwater.  Both have narrow necks.

The Seagull S6 is a known contender, and probably $50 less expensive, but it has a wider neck.

Personally, I'd look at Breedlove, as they are discounting some of their guitars right now.  (Well, they were through June 30.  Their website still seems to indicate the discounts are active.)  They build a great instrument.  $329 - $379 could get him a very good beginner guitar.

Seagull offers a Slim S6 version. Drops the width a bit. The string spacing is actually the same, but the width is taken out at the edges.

My vote is a Yamaha FG/FSX series and spend the rest on a great set up. A concert size would be my pick for comfortable porch strumming. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FGX800C--yamaha-fgx800c-dreadnought-cutaway-natural

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FSX820C--yamaha-fsx820c-concert-cutaway-natural

An iPad and Fender Play App is a really user friendly way to go.

If you are in DFW, I have a Seagull S6 that I could cut you a Surly deal on. 

Edited by topochico

I'm not sure he would want a narrow neck. Probably better for short fingers, but not for fat fingers. Lots of small-handed people are great guitar players. From my own experience, fat fingertips pose a greater challenge.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I’m not enamored of the overseas cheapo Breedloves, but I’m a snob because I got a steal on a short-lived American model. How is it?

I really like it, very warm sound. No electronics, and I don't think I would buy it for myself, but for a beginner, it is a killer guitar. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DougO said:

Lots of reviewers complain about the intonation issue with bridge length, but hard to beat for the money.

Yeah, not going to get it, but need to pick up a reasonable bass for recording as my next instrument.

127d6ae63d55a7885fe20497b271aa30.jpg
I’ve decided to sate my work from home (cruise Reverb all day) new gear urge by getting some new straps. Cheaper than a guitar or amp, but still somewhat satisfying and useful. Above is a Soldier Jeff Tweedy/ Owl strap for my Tweedy SG. As mentioned up thread, getting a new strap has really made me pick this guitar up more often and it’s currently a front runner in the stable.

• Like 6

This is a silver sparkle racer for my silver sparkle Dano that I use for open tunings. I had no idea it would be so matchy-matchy, but I kind of dig it.

f4efc116fb976c930ae1978b31c964c9.jpg
So the Couches are vinyl and they have a ton of cool options (I’m looking at the Mustang trunk mat material), but the Souldier is a better strap. More comfortable and doesn’t seem to slip as much as the back side is seat belt material.

Anyhow, those are my latest gear purchases for sharing.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Team plain black nylon strap here. I kind of just want the strap to disappear.

Those seem to be the only ones I never lose.  I prefer a simple thinline black leather strap with a small padded shoulder section, but those get "lost" (ahem, stolen at gigs) at an alarming rate.

I got really bored during quarantine and decided to pick up a project. Rescued this guy and have spent some time getting it back to it’s 80’s greatness. I’m starting a Jem and the Holograms cover band if anyone is interested. 6f4280b528b6d8642f6531832f057a52.jpg

Edited by topochico
  • Like 4