The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

8 minutes ago, topochico said:

Honey, this is NOT a guitar. This is a bass. It's totally different. 

Speaking of basses, anyone have experience with the Ernie Ball Sub Ray 5?  It seems like a good value for the money that might be a good fit for my needs -- solid bass capable of good recorded sounds for as little dinero as possible.  Pluses for bass tone versatility.

se3zrsszepdrssd3jzcc.jpg

https://www.americanmusical.com/sterling-sub-stingray-5-bass-guitar/p/SBM-RAY5-LIST

Edited by Goredho

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

Speaking of basses, anyone have experience with the Ernie Ball Sub Ray 5?  It seems like a good value for the money that might be a good fit for my needs -- solid bass capable of good recorded sounds for as little dinero as possible.  Pluses for bass tone versatility.

se3zrsszepdrssd3jzcc.jpg

https://www.americanmusical.com/sterling-sub-stingray-5-bass-guitar/p/SBM-RAY5-LIST

I am a 4 string guy, so no personal experience. The guys over at Talkbass really like the SUB series  (especially for the value you get).  I think the string spacing on the 5 is possibly a bit tight at the nut, but as a guitar guy, that probably won't matter as much for you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, topochico said:

I am a 4 string guy, so no personal experience. The guys over at Talkbass really like the SUB series  (especially for the value you get).  I think the string spacing on the 5 is possibly a bit tight at the nut, but as a guitar guy, that probably won't matter as much for you.

Thanks for the heads up.

se3zrsszepdrssd3jzcc.jpg

I’d prob lean towards a squier vintage modified

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

The Squier Vintage Modified was discontinued last year as the Classic Vibe line was expanded. If you want a specific VM bass, your best bet is finding a used one.

If you want a new bass, Sweetwater shows 23 different Classic Vibe basses to choose from. I like most of the 60s models, some of the 50s. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=squier+classic+vibe+bass

I don’t currently own any Classic Vibes, but I think I’ve owned three of the CV basses in the past and all of them were great basses for the money. 

• Like 1

The Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified lines were merged. The Classic Vibes were originally made in China, but are now made in the plant in Indonesia that made the Vintage Modified. So, while they say Classic Vibe, the models that were originally Vintage Modified are essentially the same guitars, but with a new name. The Classic Vibes are more likely to have some production differences from the original MIC ones (specifically the pickups, which seemed to be unbranded Toneriders that were produced in the same factory as the Chinese Classic Vibes.)

Edited by Deej
  • Like 2

Alternate universe: Zep disbands after Physical Grafitti and Page replaces Mick Taylor. 

And then I stumble on this...

This quote comes from Mick Wall's book "When Giants Walked the Earth":

"Jimmy had, in fact, being hanging out with Keith and Mick off and on throughout 1974, bumping into each other at Tramp or the Speakeasy in London, before all going back to Ronnie Wood's rambling mansion, the Wick, in Twickenham, where Keith practically moved in that year. One night in November Jimmy found himself embarked on an all-night jam with Keith and Ronnie on a song called 'Scarlet', named after Jimmy's two-year old daughter. 'It started out as a sort of gentle folk ballad,' he latter recalled. 'But then Keith suddenly decided, "Right, now it's time to add the reggae guitars."' Jimmy and Keith, whose mutual interests now extended far beyond music, were especially close, the Stones's guitarist teasing the Zeppelin leader about Plant and Bonham, who he referred to as 'a couple of clueless Ernies from the Midlands'. So close were they at that point it was even rumoured that Jimmy would replace the recently departed guitarist Mick Taylor on the band's 1975 American tour - before Ronnie stepped in.

Of course I have to say, How true and accurate this statement is exactly, I have no idea. I do know that I read everything I can about Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page and I realize some things I do read are True and then some things I read are Not true. Either way, I know that I have at least read both sides and can form my OWN opinions, likes and dislikes and hopefully differentiate the Fact from the Fiction.

Regarding this song, "Scarlet", it seems documented that this jam/recording took place but it seems that it may be one the Songs that Jimmy and/or Keith collaborated on that may never see the Light of day or US Led Zeppelin (and Rolling Stones) fans may never hear

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Deej said:

Alternate universe: Zep disbands after Physical Grafitti and Page replaces Mick Taylor. 

Sounds like a recipe for disaster.  I don't think you throw Page in with Mick & Keef and expect no disruption, although I guess one could argue that the Stones had done most of their best work by then.  (I would argue "Some Girls" is worth not fucking with, and "Emotional Rescue" and "Tattoo You" are pretty damn good.)

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Sounds like a recipe for disaster.  I don't think you throw Page in with Mick & Keef and expect no disruption, although I guess one could argue that the Stones had done most of their best work by then.  (I would argue "Some Girls" is worth not fucking with, and "Emotional Rescue" and "Tattoo You" are pretty damn good.)

Like all three of those albums but most of Tattoo You was older outakes. Emotional Rescue is actually pretty good. The Stones did a good job aping current trends. 

Always dig this groove...

Edited by Deej

Just now, Deej said:

Like all three of those albums but most of Tattoo You was older outakes. Emotional Rescue is actually pretty good. The Stones did a good job aping current trends. 

I'd rank 'em as

Some Girls > Tattoo You > Emotional Rescue

"Some Girls" has some really terrific songs.  "Tattoo You" starts out hot but fades in the middle, only to be rescued by Keef at the end.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd rank 'em as

Some Girls > Tattoo You > Emotional Rescue

"Some Girls" has some really terrific songs.  "Tattoo You" starts out hot but fades in the middle, only to be rescued by Keef at the end.

Second half of Tattoo You is some good "fucking" music.

Edited by Deej

14 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Some Girls

Tattoo You

Emotional Rescue

To me, Tattoo You is the end of the Stones, really.  Sure, they had a couple more records with Bill Wyman and that's not to say what they've done since doesn't have good points.  But the end of their significant pop relevance was Tattoo You.  

Edited by Chad Fuck
Guess I should've read further before commenting, but fuck it. Surl.

Tattoo You is my favorite Stones album. it's one of the most complete, to me. Most are really scattershoot.

I always hated Emotional Rescue since it's release. Haven't listened in many years. i should probably revisit and see if time has improved my enjoyment of those songs in today's context. The title song has always been poop to me, though.

Edited by DougO

3 hours ago, BoomMF said:

Anyone have the ins on a good Mexican Strat for sale? Have a nephew who wants to start learning...

How much are you (or the parents) looking to spend?
Sweetwater has this demo. I bet they will drop it down a bit more. Capri Orange may not be the best Strat color, but the HSS configuration is always great.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratPHSSPCO--fender-player-series-stratocaster-hss-capri-orange?cond=StratPHSSPCOd1

Yeah, you'd quicker be able to count the songs that aren't open G. Keef was big on doing the least amount of work as possible. (Insert some witty Exile on Main St. joke/corollary here.)

1 hour ago, topochico said:

How much are you (or the parents) looking to spend?
Sweetwater has this demo. I bet they will drop it down a bit more. Capri Orange may not be the best Strat color, but the HSS configuration is always great.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratPHSSPCO--fender-player-series-stratocaster-hss-capri-orange?cond=StratPHSSPCOd1

Saw that. Buttercolor though.

It still surprises me how much guitar you can get for ~$600 these days.

Edited by BoomMF

10 hours ago, BoomMF said:

Anyone have the ins on a good Mexican Strat for sale? Have a nephew who wants to start learning...

Check out Guitarcenter.com and look in the used section. You  can view the inventories within a selected range of your location. If nothing else, you get a good gauge on prices. Shipping charges suck if you find one that's not in suitable driving distance, but if you can find one close their prices tend to be pretty reasonable.

On 7/24/2020 at 8:49 AM, BoomMF said:

I have a friend who works at a local music gear rental store that is also a Fender dealer. You can buy their used gear, which is often lightly used. (Parents rent a Strat for a kid instead of buying one, bring it back two years later cuz it sat in the corner.) I checked with him and they have two low mileage MIM Strats in stock priced at $450, but they’ll come down to $400. One is red with maple fretboard, white guard. The other is a 2016 Lake Placid Blue with rosewood/pau ferro fretboard, white guard. Not sure on the year of the red one, but probably around the same year. Just let me know if you’re interested and I’ll send the details. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Foggy Notion said:

I have a friend who works at a local music gear rental store that is also a Fender dealer. You can buy their used gear, which is often lightly used. (Parents rent a Strat for a kid instead of buying one, bring it back two years later cuz it sat in the corner.) I checked with him and they have two low mileage MIM Strats in stock priced at $450, but they’ll come down to $400. One is red with maple fretboard, white guard. The other is a 2016 Lake Placid Blue with rosewood/pau ferro fretboard, white guard. Not sure on the year of the red one, but probably around the same year. Just let me know if you’re interested and I’ll send the details. 

Why has this information been held back from me until now? I can't even....

I’ve been laying relatively low the past few months as far as buying and selling on CL, mostly cuz I’ve been trying to minimize exposure. But I’m still on there all the time, browsing out of curiosity and habit. I’ll mask up and drive across town if it’s a deal I just can’t pass up, but it feels like there’s been fewer of those killer deals the past few months. Pre-Covid, I would usually see a decent amount of MIM Fenders in the $300-350 range, and I’m not seeing a lot of those right now. My luthier mentioned to me the other day that he’s got a lot of work. Said people tend to buy fewer new guitars during economic uncertainty and instead focus on repairing or improving the gear they already have. Not sure if the numbers really prove that or if it’s just anecdotal.

If any of y’all are ever looking for a specific used guitar, just let me know and I’ll keep an eye out. For example, I’m currently looking for a well-priced black Japanese Jaguar with humbuckers and matching black headstock for a friend of mine.

• Like 1

I went into Guitar Center this past week to pick up a drum head and noticed that their wall of used guitars was almost bare. The guy working the register said it’s because very few people are coming into the store to buy new guitars so they’re not getting many trade-ins. It was the quietest GC I’ve ever been in. There was no soloing going on. 

16 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

I went into Guitar Center this past week to pick up a drum head and noticed that their wall of used guitars was almost bare. The guy working the register said it’s because very few people are coming into the store to buy new guitars so they’re not getting many trade-ins. It was the quietest GC I’ve ever been in. There was no soloing going on. 

Damn, no shredders in the platinum room?