The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I've been over Metallica for about 20 years and I'm absolutely stoked Kirk owns it, for multiple.reasons. I'm glad a player owns it instead of a collector like its previous owner; but more because of the number of people who will discover Peter Green because they are Kirk Hammett / Metallica fans.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just bought this Gibson SG Jr for my niece w/ the condition that it becomes officially hers the day she graduates High School.

At 14 she just put together her 1st band and is damn good.

2383da5f728c32c2f9e363c84e2d7b40.jpg
That’s cool. Love to hear some clips of her band.

I didn't come through on this.

Tonight she went to a taqueria where a friend of mine was playing. He's come over to the house a few times when I'm in town and heard her play. In fact, we had a grand ole time passing a guitar around my Mom's porch during my last visit.

Anyway, he pulled her up and put her in the spotlight for a few. She's a shy kid, but grabbed the moment. I'd say its her 1st time on stage, but she's been playing in her church band for a while. Still. 15 years old.

My Dads passing was hardest on her; he was in the middle of raising her. I can't tell you how much it touches me that she has a positive outlet.

She'd just learned the 1st song today, her band wants to play it. "Normandy" they're calling themselves.

BTW, I'm less than pleased with the level of social distancing they're practicing in that town.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

I highly recommend Monte Montgomery's facebook livestream concert that happens every Saturday night around 8PM. It has been the best in-home entertainment of the whole damn pandemic era. He usually goes around 2 hours playing song after song, his original stuff and some great covers.

I became aware of Monte's music back in the early 90s or so when he became kind of a big deal in the magazines and such. But I had drifted away long ago after his fame had faded and I had moved on to other things. Now I'm borderline obsessed, and I tune in every week. And it's free.

Here is a sample.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

PSA for anyone looking to unload some gear and who doesn't want to wait around.  I sent Chicago Music Exchange 3 pictures of a guitar that I've been meaning to list for a while, but haven't wanted to deal with listing, selling, etc.  Had an offer the next day with a link to comps and what they purportedly would sell it for.  The offer was 30% off what their sell for price was and was more than I thought I could get.  Of course, I'll have to ship it, which will run me $80 after buying a guitar box and paying FedEx.  But I didn't pay much for it and am happy to have it gone.  By comparison, I ran by Guitar Center today for a quote and they offered me 35% less than CME.  So even with shipping, I'm doing better than Guitar Center and don't have to deal with Reverb fees or tire kickers.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/18/2020 at 4:20 PM, tbone_ said:

Yea. It’s a pretty unique venue. Outside and wide open behind us. Typically gets a slight breeze due to how it’s oriented. Big patio with tables spread far apart. So everyone is able to keep pretty well socially distanced. Surprisingly comfortable temp in the evening given it is summer in Phoenix.  

I’m pretty socially isolated otherwise. Feels like a pretty small risk given its impact on maintaining my sanity. Very thankful the owner wants us to keep going.

7909000784405044a20c64ed5ef3c8a8.jpg

From the 4th of July. That’s the moon in that pic btw.

Where and when do you guys play?  I’m roughly at 101 and Cactus and would definitely come out and have a few and listen to you guys.

6 hours ago, tbone_ said:

True - however jimmy should slide him some coin if the damn thing is really worth $3-4 million

Only worth it if it sells for that. Jimmy is a notorious penny pincher. His nickname is Led Wallet. 

At least he gave him a guitar to replace it. 

Edited by Deej

I am generally not a fan of the relic'ed guitars. This one, however, I find myself strangely attracted to. The flamed maple peeking through is an interesting spin on the over the top "heavy aged" guitars and basses that Nash and the Fender Custom Shop are pumping out. 

FCB8DC99-2A2C-4F86-8EB4-170FD8408922.jpeg

DA28B1EC-6B07-4DD4-BAE0-70C4869BB773.jpeg

was talking about travis picking with a buddy and then ended up watching a video of Merle Travis playing his D-28 with the Bigsby neck (with the pre strat scroll headstock) and then finding this article and at any rate, here's a cool guitar of history

https://ledgernote.com/columns/guitar-guru/merle-travis-guitar/

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Seems to be a fairly disparate selection.  What's in your collection and what do you need?

Regardless, the answer to all guitar questions is Gibson J-200, because jumbos are where it's at.

I’ve got 9 electrics 

3 LPs 

1 Epiphone hollow body (Sheridan)

2 PRS’s 

hendrix strat

cobain fender jag

american tele 

3 acoustics 

1932 martin

washburn 

ibanez 

So my acoustic game with exception to the Martin is weak...  but I love the ES-335 or a nice Gretch to go along with my collection because I don’t own a high end hollow body