The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

4 hours ago, Deej said:

It's the same thing. They also have a version with bluetooth, and the new SuperFly. 

Yeah, I haven't felt the need for those, or the extension cab. But having a second one to keep in different places, or a potential second guitar or other thing, is not a terrible idea.

Just now, DougO said:

Yeah, I haven't felt the need for those, or the extension cab. But having a second one to keep in different places, or a potential second guitar or other thing, is not a terrible idea.

The extension cab is completely worth it. Doubles the wattage to 6 watts. Stereo sound is nice. Also makes a nice portable rig for running music through. 

38 minutes ago, Deej said:

The extension cab is completely worth it. Doubles the wattage to 6 watts. Stereo sound is nice. Also makes a nice portable rig for running music through. 

I wish they had just made it so you could do the same with two Fly 3 units, and have two of them or an extension. I saw a lot of mixed reviews on whether the cab made it sound better or not, but it's still more dollars into just one amp and an extension that can't be used for anything else. I wish you could do the same by linking 2 fly 3 units, then you could have two or an extension when you wanted it. I'm rarely going to be playing that loud with what I do, which is basically just me by myself in a room. Strapping on a cab just seems more cumbersome than I would like.

The only problem I have with the fly 3 is it's so small and light even a regular guitar cord tends to pull it off the table with any light movement, so it crashes a lot. An extra cab would double the disaster potential.

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

$800 at Zzounds. Yikes.

There are only a few products on the market that do what Kahayan does, and Kahayan does it cheapest. Their amp selector is tits. The dream is to have one totally weaponized 1960 cab and just collect heads.

I just need to find one on Reverb or eBay...

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Just an old windows tablet I’m using to run the software that controls the Katana. There’s only so much you can do from the top panel.

It’s pretty much the same with the Spark, so I’m looking to get a tablet because using my phone would get difficult to read really quickly. 

Oh man, when Mick & Bruce go into that ad-libbed call and response around 2:40, that's what it's all about.  Those guys have played a zillion club shows and have sat in and been sat in with so many times, and they're listening to each other and making it work.  No fucking way that was planned, but the band played along and everyone came out the other side with no major injuries.  Damn, I love watching that happen.

Edit -- and that had to have been Lady Gaga in the front row.

Edited by jimmyjazz

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-aewc4012fm-12-string-acoustic-electric-guitar/k59707000002000
this almost got me. High as shit on my patio and was like F it. Then I got a $430 water bill and was like NOPE! Then I thought when a cheap gretsch is on there and grab it. If I enjoy it I won’t mind getting a higher end one

Edited by Bogeywon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Deleted all social media a few months ago and bought a Mexican Strat last week. This is a blast playing again. Does anyone pay for the pro account on ultimate guitar tabs? Is it worth it? 

I have it and I use it all the time. Then again, I play out pretty regularly (or I did pre covid) and it comes in super handy when there’s a request.

There is a limited free version to try out. The tabs feel a bit more accurate. I don't have as much "that doesn't sound right" moments.  I have not tried UG in a while, it may have improved, but I find the entire interface on Songsterr much more user friendly for me. Filtering songs based on tuning or difficulty is nice. My kid's drum instructor turned him onto it, then I got into it for bass. It has made it an easy way for us to pick songs and play together.

Edited by topochico

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

UG can be frustrating when you pull up a song and there are 14 different versions of the tab. But I still use it.

Songsterr doesn't have as much of that for sure. They focus on having one accurate tab per song. Your options seem more based on style of play. 

Here are the options for Stairway:

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 8.58.40 PM.png

My local shop has this coming in. They are pretty awesome to deal with and can always find a way to save you a buck or three if you drop in to say hi. If you are considering Gretsch, you may want to give them a call. 

https://www.toneshopguitars.com/collections/gretsch/products/grestch-g6131t-my-malcolm-young-signature-jet-ebony-fingerboard-natural

https://www.toneshopguitars.com/collections/gretsch/products/gretsch-g6120t-players-edition-nashville-w-string-thru-bigsby-filtertron-pickups-orange-stain-w-case

A86659B0-FB66-452D-B445-E3661DCF51A8.png

CD1385C5-863D-4013-BC1B-80275B778F21.jpeg

12 hours ago, topochico said:

Songsterr doesn't have as much of that for sure. They focus on having one accurate tab per song. Your options seem more based on style of play. 

Here are the options for Stairway:

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 8.58.40 PM.png

While I've had questions about user generated tabs on UG before, the "Pro" tabs that come with paid version seems to be pretty spot on to me.  The Songsterr page you show does have a pretty clean look though.

I don't play by tab, and rarely learn cover songs because I have the attention span of a chihuahua, but if user-generated tabs are as bad as user-generated chord charts and lyric sheets, no thank you.  I am routinely shocked by how bad some people's ears are.

I find UG is pretty good in this regard. The comments usually sort out the mistakes. And I just use the tabs as a starting point anyway. I chart all our songs out and pretty much rearrange everything to fit our style. We are up to like 70+ songs on our list now. UG is god send for this.

Also, we’re experimenting with some marketing ideas:

b3e2a0e1e0a0d8369f2846add09fe0ff.jpg

a21681a6e24babcc273e2df1257c39ae.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't play by tab, and rarely learn cover songs because I have the attention span of a chihuahua, but if user-generated tabs are as bad as user-generated chord charts and lyric sheets, no thank you.  I am routinely shocked by how bad some people's ears are.

I think tab is great to have, but agree with JJ here.  It takes longer, but I try to figure out the song with my ears first and go to tab or vids as a last resort or to clear up the little pieces I'm having a hard time deciphering through a mix.  The ear training is more valuable than the 1 cover song I can play exactly right.

I find UG is pretty good in this regard. The comments usually sort out the mistakes. And I just use the tabs as a starting point anyway. I chart all our songs out and pretty much rearrange everything to fit our style. We are up to like 70+ songs on our list now. UG is god send for this.

Also, we’re experimenting with some marketing ideas:

b3e2a0e1e0a0d8369f2846add09fe0ff.jpg

a21681a6e24babcc273e2df1257c39ae.jpg

It probably looks cool in person, but the lights on the microphone stands are distracting in the pictures to me. Everything else looks great!

7 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I think tab is great to have, but agree with JJ here.  It takes longer, but I try to figure out the song with my ears first and go to tab or vids as a last resort or to clear up the little pieces I'm having a hard time deciphering through a mix.  The ear training is more valuable than the 1 cover song I can play exactly right.

This brings up another pet peeve of mine -- playing an impromptu cover live.  I am a very long way from being even an "accomplished" guitarist, but I am a musical person and have spent a whole shit-ton of time learning how to listen to the ensemble (in my case, brass instruments in a classical or jazz context).  When my band, or even a band I jump onstage with tries to crank out some semblance of Fleetwood Mac or The Replacements or whatever, FUCKING LISTEN TO THE OTHER GUYS ON STAGE and go with the flow.

My bro-in-law and one of his friends and I often "jam" in the front yard on Halloween as kids come by to get candy.  His friend is a Dylan freak, and just can't stand it if a bridge or 4-bar intro to a verse or whatever gets cropped.  Everything has to be exactly like the record.  OK, dude, you're the expert, lead the way.  Then when I say "hey, let's try <Tom Petty or pick some huge hit song> he gets all fucking flustered and puts his guitar down if I veer into the 3rd verse 2nd or something.  What a fucking beating.  The goal should be to get to the end of the song with some loose connection to the truth, not sound like a jukebox.  Plus he sings like shit.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Oh, and he can't learn a song to save his life.  "Dude, the verses are Emaj Amaj Dmaj Amaj, it's the damn Romantics, you've heard it a million times.  Use your ear."

I mean, if you tell me "hey, I wrote this song, it's pretty simple, wanna give it a try?" my answer is universally "sure, show me the verse and chorus chords and I'll follow along".  Well, unless it's the drummer who wrote the song, because they're almost universally bad songs.  (Cue comeback about The Romantics.)

Edited by jimmyjazz

What should I look for when it comes to gretsch 
Filtertrons and the model number beginning with a 6. ie 6120 (Chet Atkins), 6128 (Duo Jet), 6136 (White Falcon), etc.

All the Pro-Line models start with a 6, and they are beautifully made in Japan.

The Electomatic line, the models start with a 5. They are made in Korea or China as tbone mentioned. I'm sure they are fine for the money you'll save.
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This brings up another pet peeve of mine -- playing an impromptu cover live.  I am a very long way from being even an "accomplished" guitarist, but I am a musical person and have spent a whole shit-ton of time learning how to listen to the ensemble (in my case, brass instruments in a classical or jazz context).  When my band, or even a band I jump onstage with tries to crank out some semblance of Fleetwood Mac or The Replacements or whatever, FUCKING LISTEN TO THE OTHER GUYS ON STAGE and go with the flow.

My bro-in-law and one of his friends and I often "jam" in the front yard on Halloween as kids come by to get candy.  His friend is a Dylan freak, and just can't stand it if a bridge or 4-bar intro to a verse or whatever gets cropped.  Everything has to be exactly like the record.  OK, dude, you're the expert, lead the way.  Then when I say "hey, let's try <Tom Petty or pick some huge hit song> he gets all fucking flustered and puts his guitar down if I veer into the 3rd verse 2nd or something.  What a fucking beating.  The goal should be to get to the end of the song with some loose connection to the truth, not sound like a jukebox.  Plus he sings like shit.

i was thinking about this the other day. playing with people really is a different skill... or maybe more specifically, technical ability on your instrument is one specific area and not remotely the barometer for how good of a musician you are, especially in a group context. Almost all of the time if I play with other people and it's not great, it's because the other people aren't good at playing with other people (rather than they can't play their instrument). Rhythm, following along, vibing, really grokking the group dynamic in the music.

Also why I'm firmly in the "the bass player should always be next to the drummer" camp when it comes to stage layout. PItcher and catcher.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

i was thinking about this the other day. playing with people really is a different skill... or maybe more specifically, technical ability on your instrument is one specific area and not remotely the barometer for how good of a musician you are, especially in a group context. Almost all of the time if I play with other people and it's not great, it's because the other people aren't good at playing with other people (rather than they can't play their instrument). Rhythm, following along, vibing, really grokking the group dynamic in the music.

Exactly.  I really don't care how awesome your rendition of "Little Wing" is if you can't listen to the drummer and stay in his groove.  And, I really don't care how awesome you can play the drum solo to "Moby Dick" if you (a) don't have good tempo control and (b) don't know how to drive the bus.

Every great artist I have recorded has an intuitive sense of the roles of various band members.  Drummer drives, but must work out the bottom end with the bass player, who must listen to the kick drum, and the guitarist has to fucking listen to the lyrics and stop stepping all over the vocalist, you'll get to your solo soon enough, Yngwie.

It probably looks cool in person, but the lights on the microphone stands are distracting in the pictures to me. Everything else looks great!

Thanks. Good point. Those aren’t really there to be cool, there are no lights and no where to hang any. So I’m just trying to get some light on us in an easy way.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I agree with you on that.  And I'll bet if he was asked to play some song he didn't know by heart, he'd be singing a different tune.  

But if we're five guys on stage getting paid to play a song, then we should damn well try and adhere to an arrangement we all agree to.  If it's an impromptu request, obviously we follow the advice of "try to start together, try to stay together in the middle, and try to end together."   I have kind of the opposite problem as JJ.  So our three front men, guitar/vocal, guitar/vocal, harmonica/vocal, often do gigs where it's just the three of them in a smaller venue.  It's real easy for them to follow that theory without anyone knowing any different.  But then we add the rhythm section in and I'm the one saying, "Hey, Mr. Drummer and I need to know if you're going to stop there or go to the bridge, etc."  Often the response is, "Well, we do it a little different every time when it's just the three of us."  That sounds fine in a trio context, but it sounds like a herd of buffalo getting run over a cliff in the full band context.  So we try and nail the arrangements down to something we can all agree upon, whether it's the recorded version or not.

I get that.  This may be more endemic to a loose town like Austin, but if a band takes a request that they haven't rehearsed, they will be far better served if they're ear-trained to the point that they respect everyone they're on stage with and do them the honor of paying attention.  Sometimes one player goes rogue and the best solution is for everyone else to follow along, but some players are so rigid that they either don't hear what's happening or don't care.  I find that insulting if I'm on stage with them.  I might be a motherfucker on open G/C/E/D/A/F and maybe a few barre chords, can't play a lick of lead, but I will damn sure pay attention to what you and the others are doing and try to fit my rudimental chops in so I don't rock the boat (baby).