The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

unless you have more guitars than studs in the room. 
Seriously, I have hangers all over my place. Most sit empty most if the time, but they are strategically located anywhere I might want to set a guitar down. ie: Just outside the bathroom door, front porch, back porch, etc. A friend commented on them the other day and I started pointing to everyplace I intend to install one. Suddenly I felt ridiculous. Who the fuck has guitar hangers problems? Seriously. 1st World shit right there.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Need advice:  I really need to get at least 4 guitars off the floor -- two electric, two acoustic.  Are there solid, reliable, will-not-pull-out-of-the-sheetrock/drywall guitar hangers out there?  Or am I going to be forced to find the studs and come up with some kind of horizontal strap that anchors to those studs?

I'm not at all against using some of those heavy duty drywall anchors, but I just don't know if they suck or not.

All my guitars are hung with String Swing hangers using their included drywall anchors.  I’ve been using them without issue for a couple years now.  My heaviest guitar is 10lbs give or take and I tend to shake the walls quite a bit since I play in a structure separate from my house and I don’t have neighbors.

One thing I like about their design is two anchors vertically aligned.  Both would have to fail before a fall.  You would notice one failing before both fail.

I originally was going a DIY route, but these are cheap, effective and their manufacturer has gone to great lengths to make them nitro-safe.  They won’t guarantee the nitro safety because a lot of how nitro holds up has to do with environment and handling, but cite the extensive QA they’ve done and the major brands and retailers that use them with nitro in their show rooms without issue.

1451-B015-C17-B-4250-9-B9-D-FB610-DCC326

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

All my guitars are hung with String Swing hangers using their included drywall anchors.  I’ve been using them without issue for a couple years now.  My heaviest guitar is 10lbs give or take and I tend to shake the walls quite a bit since I play in a structure separate from my house and I don’t have neighbors.

One thing I like about their design is two anchors vertically aligned.  Both would have to fail before a fall.  You would notice one failing before both fail.

I wonder if they could be backed up with some type of adhesive as a sort of belt and suspenders approach?  I don't care if it's "permanent", I'll probably sell this house in 5-8 years and the new owners can deal with it. 

52 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I wonder if they could be backed up with some type of adhesive as a sort of belt and suspenders approach?  I don't care if it's "permanent", I'll probably sell this house in 5-8 years and the new owners can deal with it. 

Might help a bit, but I personally wouldn’t feel a need for it.  I might feel differently if I had something really valuable and/or irreplaceable.

You could certainly anchor these directly into a stud or use beefier anchors than those provided with the string swing hangers if you want.

The guitar falling off the wall shouldn’t really be an issue if you use toggle bolts or drywall anchors. The main problem I have had is over extended periods of time, taking the guitar on an off of the wall repeatedly eventually leads to the drywall material squished between the screw and the anchor breaking down and getting a bit loose. Then again, I am putting a heavier bass up there and not an acoustic. 

34 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Might help a bit, but I personally wouldn’t feel a need for it.  I might feel differently if I had something really valuable and/or irreplaceable.

You could certainly anchor these directly into a stud or use beefier anchors than those provided with the string swing hangers if you want.

I have very specific spots I want these guitars and so I can't count on studs.

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have very specific spots I want these guitars and so I can't count on studs.

*nods* I personally think you will be fine with just what comes in a string swing package to anchor to drywall.  That heavy-ish LP has been up there for 2 years right above my Vox AC-30 getting the brunt of vibrations and it’s still rock solid on the wall.

E46-AF06-B-4155-4353-9-A0-F-31665-F01522

You can bigger/higher weight-rated self-drilling drywall anchors than those provided (there’s nothing special about them) or your adhesive idea if you want some additional peace of mind.

Edit:  Homedepot sells self-drilling drywall anchors that go up to 100lbs (x2).

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Hardware-Fasteners-Anchors-Hollow-Drywall-Anchors/Self-Drilling/N-5yc1vZc2eqZ1z1azqi

Edited by Goredho

So is the humidity controlled in the room?  I ask because if I store my guitar in the case with the D'Addario humidipaks in the case the guitar holds tune much better.  If I keep it out on the stand it has to be tuned much more often.  I like it on the stand because I'm forced to see it and much more likely to spend time with it.

• Like 1

Another idea bordering on paranoia with the string swing hangers, @jimmyjazz.

You can make your own wood plate with a bigger surface area that mounts against the wall itself and screw the hanger part into that.  You would distribute the guitar's weight over a bigger surface area of drywall and be able to use more than two anchors from the plate to the drywall itself.

string-swing-guitar-hanger.jpg

Imagine the vertical wood piece there instead being a circle or oval with a 6" diameter with four 75-100 lbs anchors against the drywall.

But this is like all these guys do.  They have great reviews and wouldn't be in business very long if people were having their guitars fall off the wall.

Edited by Goredho

Man, the gold tops showed up again.

Firefly FF338 Semi Hollowbody Guitar (Gold) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HQJ3ZVM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_pfetFbRQYX8MD

I’m tempted to order one of those too and then return one. The only thing holding me back is that I’ve read that the gold wrinkles under the finish after a few months. That would kinda suck.

Man, I have tried but I just cannot wrap my brain around a $150 guitar not being a pos.

So is the humidity controlled in the room?  I ask because if I store my guitar in the case with the D'Addario humidipaks in the case the guitar holds tune much better.  If I keep it out on the stand it has to be tuned much more often. I like it on the stand because I'm forced to see it and much more likely to spend time with it.

Guitars that are out get played more. It's science.
  • Like 1

Moved into a new apartment the other week. Wanted a 2 BR so I could have an office/studio room. Think it’s coming together nicely so far.
82fd619d2b96b50b98cc2621147f18be.jpg
6e564a965dea5d923df07d2bb3a436ce.jpg
44f135a34cfa3a628611c35e01168b7b.jpg
dff801936e2167d932965307345b639e.jpg
eec77ccf25c03da898d792f124d58073.jpg
d06c255ccbae9b6092f06743290cb363.jpg
5bb1defe54760779af5d6beba36ee4e8.jpg

My brother actually left for a 3 month-long road trip a week after I moved in, so I’m fostering his Vox, Strymon-heavy pedalboard, Tele and HSS strat. Everything else is mine.

Got the Focusrite and MIDI keyboard to pair with guitar in Logic Pro X. Gonna have to hop over to the composition thread soon.

Still excited to come home to the Jazzmaster. Think I’m gonna start shopping for an American strat soon, though.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

Yeah, but probably a great CPR dummy for learning setup and electronics mods.

This is definitley part of the thought process. I’m trying to learn to do more of my own work and I don’t sweat it so much on a cheap guitar. At some point I might sell them all but in the mean time they are fun.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Cashdaddyblumpkins said:

Moved into a new apartment the other week. Wanted a 2 BR so I could have an office/studio room. Think it’s coming together nicely so far.
82fd619d2b96b50b98cc2621147f18be.jpg

My brother actually left for a 3 month-long road trip a week after I moved in, so I’m fostering his Vox,

What Vox is that?  Looks like my Tony Bruno, which I absolutely love.

I installed the Pure Vintage 64 pups in my Telecaster last night. I was stoked with its new sound when I cranked it this morning, until I plugged that Squire in. That Squire still sounds night and day better. I think I'll be pulling the Squire apart to find out whats inside. I actually prefer the neck on the Squire too.

077bc56ba8a18513149c4690631abd14.jpg6f84827a8bb825fcf4d4249f29a4d24a.jpg

• Like 1

There are some Hercules hangers on sale at musiciansfriend stupid deal today, probably until early morning, for those interested in that kind of thing. The had a stupid deal of the hour today, but the hangers are the daily deal that came after it was over.

On 8/30/2020 at 1:45 PM, Buzzrock said:

I did something today that I’ve never done before: I sold a guitar. And if another guy hadn’t bailed on me I would have sold two.

Sold this unusual animal that I’ve just had sitting around forever:

9460441503e3d169c62422a1e0429308.plist

Sounds like this after some upgraded Seymour Duncans:

And I’m trying to unload this guy. They seem fairly sought after amongst the Firefly nuts so hopefully I moves soon:

9a8a8db9ed213b12e9b3f88e5a648b57.jpg

Because this will be here Friday:

c3e5e1e0f9e826f19d64434026ec4abe.jpg

I sold all 7 of my Fireflys. 

Biggest profits on my used ones (FFDCD & FFTH) and only lost money on a FFLP, because a winning bidder chose to deny bidding when word had gotten out that a new shipment of LPs were going up on the site in a day or three. 

I might buy a 338 again in the future, but for. Ow I wanted to liquidate and get a Jaguar. 

I do like that Brown/Burgundy 338 color that you ordered. 👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DougO said:

There are some Hercules hangers on sale at musiciansfriend stupid deal today, probably until early morning, for those interested in that kind of thing. The had a stupid deal of the hour today, but the hangers are the daily deal that came after it was over.

Thanks, I ordered a couple of 2-packs.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

What Vox is that?  Looks like my Tony Bruno, which I absolutely love.

17 hours ago, Deej said:

Tony Bruno had the piping across the top edge, not around the speaker enclosure. 

AC 10, maybe?

It's actually an AC15VR: https://voxamps.com/product/ac15vr/

Happy to have a tube amp for the first time in a while. Unfortunately it tends to "pop" a bit, maybe every 5 minutes, while playing. Thus I'm still playing my Boss Katana most of the time. I'll probably take it into the shop soon--need to take advantage of having it before my brother takes it back.

I sold all 7 of my Fireflys. 
Biggest profits on my used ones (FFDCD & FFTH) and only lost money on a FFLP, because a winning bidder chose to deny bidding when word had gotten out that a new shipment of LPs were going up on the site in a day or three. 
I might buy a 338 again in the future, but for. Ow I wanted to liquidate and get a Jaguar. 
I do like that Brown/Burgundy 338 color that you ordered.

Did you ship any of them? I’m curious what that costs. I haven’t had a nibble on the FFTH since the initial guy (bailed) but I only have it listed on Fb Marketplace.

[mention=2521]tbone_[/mention]  Can you snap of pick of the setup on those stands on the right?  

Unfortunately no because that’s an old pic and that stuff isn’t set up that way anymore. Also, I don’t even live in that house anymore, per the divorce thread.

But what specifics are you looking for and I can fill you in. In general that was my acoustic set up but it’s changed a little bit. I can get a pic of the new set up if you would like.