The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

11 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Did you ship any of them? I’m curious what that costs. I haven’t had a nibble on the FFTH since the initial guy (bailed) but I only have it listed on Fb Marketplace.

I shipped all of them. 

I sold them all via eBay and I was surprised how easy and moderately priced it was. 

If you ship them in the guitar box west of the Mississippi River, the cost is usually about $18 via FedEx Ground if you set it up through eBay, but that only covers $100 worth of insurance. To cover the rest, it is about $3 to $4 for a guitar that sells for between $150 and $250. 

If it crosses the Mississippi, it is a little more. 

I charged a $39.99 flat fee for the new guitars and $29.99 for the used ones. I bought new packing tape and some bubble wrap and found some styrofoam and yada-yada-yada to cover some of the costs, plus printing the slip and driving the item to the FedEx office. 

For the 338, I went to town on adding additional padding all over the box and supporting the neck, because those things were packed like shit. Stevie Wonder could have packed the 338s better than the factory in China did. The LPs & DCD came with a fitted styrofoam base and top, but I still added some bubble wrap and added a layer of cardboard in areas that had been pierced by UPS’s shit-tastic shipping matchines and delivery personnel. For the FFTH, I found a different guitar box and then taped the guitar to a separate piece of cardboard over padding (of course you don’t tape a guitar) and then slid that piece into the box with padding underneath it as well. 

Guitar Center and other guitar shops (Sam Ash...) will likely have empty boxes in the back of you need one. 

On 8/31/2020 at 10:34 AM, tbone_ said:

Re: FF338s

Man, I have tried but I just cannot wrap my brain around a $150 guitar not being a pos.

The guitars are comparable to a $300 to $400 guitar, but...

1) They sell direct (Or through Amazon), so there’s no store markup. 

2) They are relatively new, so have to sell for less than what a comparable guitar would cost wholesale. 

3) Their advertising consists of sending a guitar to a YouTube reviewer, or even one of their fans sending one to Canada for Darrell Brown to review, because they don’t even ship out of the US. They have ZERO marketing budget. 

So for now, they make some guitars in a slave labor factory in China, ship them to the USA, sell them out, and then pay for another order of guitars. Their “planner focus group research“ consists of having one of the Facebook group’s moderators asking:

”What new colors would you like to see?” ...or...

”What classic style would you like to see Firebird Music produce next?”

And then someone in California and/or China reads the responses and does a cost analysis to see if that is what they want to do next. 

Sometimes they go a little cheap with a component, because everyone plans to upgrade them anyway, but then maybe next time they upgrade the component in China and charge a bit more for the guitar. 

Edited by Napoleon

Hulla - here’s some pics

36e16f65b1793594500829ebe31c8291.jpg

6ba510be121f0f93b62afef8b9f97873.jpg

41f512484db9d27812f26d1a6f50c9b2.jpg

Vocals go through the TC Helicons. I don’t really use the doubler or the echo, but they have really good Reverb, slight compression, and de-essing. Use a little bit of pitch correct, seems to smooth things about a bit.

Guitar goes into the eq and the Venue DI. I use the mixer Reverb for the guitar but not the vocals. Then all of it into the mixer and to the QSC (which is fucking phenomenal btw).

People continually remark how good the sound is when we play. Which imo is half the battle in doing what we do. Some guy that used to tour with Bonnie Raitt even gave us a compliment the other night on it. I hear so many systems like this that sound like shit including most of the open mics I played. It’s not hard and all of that stuff is pretty cheap, except for the QSC.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 5:41 PM, AnotherUTFan said:

I installed the Pure Vintage 64 pups in my Telecaster last night. I was stoked with its new sound when I cranked it this morning, until I plugged that Squire in. That Squire still sounds night and day better. I think I'll be pulling the Squire apart to find out whats inside. I actually prefer the neck on the Squire too.

077bc56ba8a18513149c4690631abd14.jpg6f84827a8bb825fcf4d4249f29a4d24a.jpg

I've got an AV 64 and really like the pickups (I assume they're the same).  Perfect amount of tele chime/twang.  I had the C/S twisted tele pickups in my AV 52 and didn't care for them.  Swapped for the C/S 51 Nocaster pickups and am much happier.  But somehow, the ones in my '90 Tele have their own special thing going.  88--90 (before the new factory went online) is a special, underrated era of Fender guitars.  Hand picked woods, basically hand built instruments, and really great sounding pickups.

• Like 1

TC Helicon makes some cool shit. They have one pedal that listens to your guitar and auto pitch corrects you to whatever key you’re in.

I have that. Mine is called Play Acoustic Live or something like that. Used it for a while but the LR Baggs di sounds better for the guitar.

1 hour ago, Paul Wesley said:

I won't talk you out of it on whichever thread you prefer.

@Deej I'll talk you out of it in favor of a Harvard (5f10) in a 1x12 configuration from a good builder (Fender hasn't reissued that one) instead.  Just one more knob than the Champ and 'bout 11(t)350 times better.

Edited by dcbc

Adorama

https://www.adorama.com/fe0176903702.html?sdtid=14325530&emailprice=t&sterm=0aOVHjUusxyJU%3AfxTV1LXQupUkiVIYzLkTda2A0&utm_source=rflaid62905

$650 Off

Fender American Pro Stratocaster Lake Placid Blue, Adorama Exclusive

SKU: FE0176903702 MFR: 0176903702
fe0176903702.jpg

Special Price

$999.00 You save: $650.00 (39%)

Regular Price: $1,649.00

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I tend to prefer rosewood, but I like maple just fine if the fretboard isn't lacquered and glossy, which makes it feel sticky to my fingers. Pau Ferro usually looks like a turd. Some body combos look better with rosewood, some with maple. I think the tone difference is mostly imaginary.