The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

If you have an old eBay account that you haven't used much lately, check and see if you got a message from them with a nice coupon code for $25 off.  I saw the offer mentioned on slickdeals, logged in to eBay and checked and got my free money. I just ordered the little extension cab for the Blackstar Fly 3 with it, $18 total after discount, new item from a store with 100% rep.

If you don't see the message just try HAPPY25 and see if it works. Doesn't for everyone, but mine says it's for long-timers.

18 hours ago, DougO said:

If you have an old eBay account that you haven't used much lately, check and see if you got a message from them with a nice coupon code for $25 off.  I saw the offer mentioned on slickdeals, logged in to eBay and checked and got my free money. I just ordered the little extension cab for the Blackstar Fly 3 with it, $18 total after discount, new item from a store with 100% rep.

If you don't see the message just try HAPPY25 and see if it works. Doesn't for everyone, but mine says it's for long-timers.

That code comes with a cool message from eBay listing milestones like your first purchase, first sale, first watched item, etc. Turns out I'm not that much different today than I was 20 years ago. :|

Icon of calendar

You registered as intricate77 on 4-25-2000!

Icon of shopping bag

First purchase

You scored Burgertime for NES Nintendo Mint!! on 12-6-2001.

Icon of money

First sale

You cashed out with PULP FICTION DVD Tarantino Mint ($2 Ship) on 3-21-2002.

Icon of phone with eBay app

First app purchase

App-tastic! You got Elite Wicked Skull Bowling Ball 15lbs. NIB on 9-6-2009.

Icon of a question in speech bubble

First offer

Way to negotiate on Authentic 2005 PRADA Mens Spazzolato Leather Shoes 9.5 on 8-27-2005.

Icon of glasses

First watched

You kept your eye on 2 New 245 65 17 Michelin Cross Terrain Tires GMC Envoy on 1-23-2008.

I've worn those Prada's maybe 5 times and each time they slay fyi.

• Like 2

I think I bought that to complete a set that was on a Strat Deluxe that two original lace pickups and a SD hot rail. I hated the metal rolling nut on the Strat because I never could get rid of the buzz from it on the second string. I wanted to keep the hot rail, so I put the lace on it and sold that guitar. One of the few guitars I have actually sold.

1 hour ago, BoomMF said:

Lauren down at Strait filed the buzz out of the roller on my Deluxe. That was my only complaint. Now that prices on those years are starting to climb, who knows what I'll do with it...

I thought I got a great deal on mine when I bought it for $400. But then I had a hell of a time getting somebody to buy it years later, didn't get much more for it.

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

This is different.  I have two partscasters, which had a mix of new/used parts depending on what I wanted in the collection.

Well, that's my current angle, at least for Strat-like guitars.  To my recollection, during my life I've purchased 4 factory acoustic guitars and 5 factory electric guitars, all new.  I did buy a dead mint Gibson Faded from a local middle school kid because his Dad was pissed he never touched it.  I ended up not playing it much either, and sold it to a surly.  Other than that, I've bought a few used guitars to flip, but that doesn't count.

This got me to thinking about my guitar purchases, so I went through my list of currently owned guitars (plus one mandolin and two basses). Here is a breakdown.

New  6
bought used from a pawn shop 11
bought used from music store 2
bought used from a friend  4

Most of my purchases were bought cheap, some intended to be project guitars.
For players, I like buying used guitars that are in great shape at a huge discount from what a new instrument would cost. It's a little like buying a car, in most cases they depreciate the minute you buy new and you will never get that investment back.

I also like when you find a great guitar that has a bit of wear and a minor ding or two, but not bad enough that it isn't beautiful. That way you don't stress out so much about that first inevitable ding. You just play the hell out of it.

I wish I had as much experience and expertise at playing as I do buying. If I did I would probably by a larger percentage of my guitars brand new, but lower volume.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 2

Mostly new, a couple used from Reverb, no bad experiences. Had more trepidation with a couple of new purchased online than the high end Reverb buys. zZounds sent a strat instead of a tele but sorted it out quickly enough and a new Memphis 335 from them was a good experience. 

And GC has had sex witth me more than once. 

Edited by noharleyyet

I want to update on those Pure Vintage 64 pickups I installed in my Telecaster.

Once I got their heights dialed in and tweaked my amp EQ, they are incredible. Im very happy with them. I'm trying to do something thats very heavy bass & drum with a very bright, percussive guitar on top and these pickups are giving me everything I hoped for and more from both pickups. I'm playing it through a Marshall Origin 50 mostly, but they sound equally great through my Blues Jr. I can't recommend them enough if you looking for the sound you think of when you imagine a Telecaster.

• Like 2

Whether this boom will continue post-pandemic remains to be seen. The Times reports that despite the sales bounce, overall sales of all fretted instruments dipped 2.4 percent in the second quarter of 2020 compared with last year. 

However, “in dollar terms, guitar sales have grown steadily since the Great Recession of 2009,” last year topping $8 billion

Considering how much the price of guitars have gone up since 2009, I'm not surprised. I think Standard MIM Teles could be got for $400 brand new. Now they are $600. 

My Baja just 4 years ago was $799, now the Vintera that replaces it is $999. Exact same guitar. 

Edited by Deej

On 9/8/2020 at 10:39 PM, DougO said:

I believe this expires today, in case anyone hasn't gotten around to it yet.

A few online friends of mine have cashed in on the deal.

Edited by DougO

The Esquire is looking great, Deej!
You may have explained this before, but what does the switch do on an Esquire?
That was a good question I'd never thought about. The answer makes me wonder why I don't have an Esquire.

Luther Perkins is in my top 5 players ever, btw. Way under recognized. Don't smoke in bed, kids.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Can you change the bridge screw to a flush mount or at least a lower profile to give you some more room? How close are you to getting the intonation? That seems like a lot of travel. 

Have you checked to see if the screw mount underneath has ovaled? Maybe your bridge has slid up on the E string under a loose mount??

It can happen due to stress from tremolo use on that side. 

wood_ovaling.jpeg.ab27133f72ec19f28aef492f2cb7fac7.jpeg

Edited by topochico

I've played the HS Duo-Sonic with a push-pull coil split for the hum bucker.

Felt nice and small, light, sounds Strat-esque.

Instead of buying it, I'm converting a Bullet Mustang HH into one. I have the splittable hum buckers but need to buy a pot and practice soldering. It will run me 25% to 35% of the cost of the one you posted (of the one I tried).