The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

On 9/14/2020 at 2:07 PM, AnotherUTFan said:

Good luck in Raleigh CM. Our drummwr mover there in May and I have another friend who moved nearby a year and a half ago. They both like it there. Our main engineering facility and manufacturing plant is nearby, Ive been there once and hope to get back once this is over

The Rumble is a great little bass amp. I have the next size up in my room. Somebody should grab it.

i have a 40 watt Rumble, the newer generation. It's a really good little amp. I really need to start laying down some bass grooves on it.

Speaking of acquiring amps, per the new/used guitar discussion we were having recently, I buy a far greater percentage of my amps brand new than I do guitars. Especially with tube amps, I just don't trust somebody's abuse without a really thorough checking-out process that often isn't available with used amps. I bought that Rumble 40, the Fender Bassbreaker 007, Super Champ x2 head and 12 cabinet, and a little blackstar HT-1 special new on sale...and the Blackstar Fly 3 and extension cab, if that counts.

Amps I bought used that I currently still have include the Vox AC15c1 and Vox AC4. I think that's it. They were both in excellent shape from trusted sellers. I got a steal on a Super Champ X2 combo a couple of years ago after I already had the X2 head and 12 cab, but the price was too good to pass up and sold it a few months later for about $75 more than I paid for it. I've had a few of bigger amps in my past, but never could justify the expense for someone that doesn't gig and isn't even jamming with guys in a garage, unfortunately. Even the AC15 is way too much for goofing off in a room.

Edited by DougO

Speaking of acquiring amps, per the new/used guitar discussion we were having recently, I buy a far greater percentage of my amps brand new than I do guitars. Especially with tube amps, I just don't trust somebody's abuse without a really thorough checking-out process that often isn't available with used amps. I bought that Rumble 40, the Fender Bassbreaker 007, Super Champ x2 head and 12 cabinet, and a little blackstar HT-1 special new on sale...and the Blackstar Fly 3 and extension cab, if that counts.
Amps I bought used that I currently still have include the Vox AC15c1 and Vox AC4. I think that's it. They were both in excellent shape from trusted sellers. I got a steal on a Super Champ X2 combo a couple of years ago after I already had the X2 head and 12 cab, but the price was too good to pass up and sold it a few months later for about $75 more than I paid for it. I've had a few of bigger amps in my past, but never could justify the expense for someone that doesn't gig and isn't even jamming with guys in a garage, unfortunately. Even the AC15 is way too much for goofing off in a room.

My basic thought is that if something electronic lasts 30 days, it’ll probably last 30 years. Good amps are pretty tough. That GK mentioned above is the only new amp I’ve bought, not counting the floor model EC Champ I bought at the GC outlet. Even though that was “new” it was definitely used in the store and has the wear marks to prove it.

Man that’s interesting. I’m the exact opposite. I want only my own wear, rash, hickeys, etc on my guitars.

Love me some old used amps though. They’re all easy to fix if they need it.
  • Like 1

Guitar shipping stages of grief:

Denial: That can’t be right? They said Saturday at the latest. I bet once it gets in their system it will update.

Anger: Well, fuck. Those bastards sure took my money right away. Then they take 3 days to get it ready to ship?!

Bargaining: If only I would have pulled the trigger last week, then it would have been here by now. 

Depression: No new guitar this weekend.... this totally sucks. 

Acceptance: Well, at least it’s on the way. Next week is fine. Hope it arrives in good shape....

Edited by topochico
  • Like 2

I’ve never bought a new amp. I’ve received two new guitars as gifts, but I’ve never bought a new guitar myself. Started buying used guitars in my teens cuz that’s what I could afford. And given a limited budget, I always chose to spend more money on my amps than on my guitars.

Picked up my P-bass from the luthier. I’ll post some pics on P-bass Day whenever that happens. On the way out the door, I spotted a familiar face.

8F51E8BB-E425-4291-BCA0-E399C2958E1A.jpeg

7 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

My basic thought is that if something electronic lasts 30 days, it’ll probably last 30 years. Good amps are pretty tough. That GK mentioned above is the only new amp I’ve bought, not counting the floor model EC Champ I bought at the GC outlet. Even though that was “new” it was definitely used in the store and has the wear marks to prove it.

Probably true for the most part with solid state amps. You might have to fix some input jacks or a faulty plug or something. But I've known too many people who got what they thought was a killer deal on a tube amp and ended up having to spend more money having it overhauled than the purchase price.

I haven't had anything too bad, but I bought a blues Deville off a guy with a tube rattle I never could figure out, annoyed the hell out of me. I was relieved to be able to get rid of it.

As far as guitars, there's not much on one that I can't fix myself, other than a warped neck or worn out frets, which I can spot pretty easily before i buy it. I can even solder in my own pots and pickups if adequately motivated. Of course, I don't want to buy anything too damn ugly, but some "game used" normal wear doesn't bother me much, just makes it more seasoned, like a good barbecue grill.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/15/2020 at 1:39 PM, Celery Man said:

I always wanted and still want a Lone Star Special, which was the brother (SSH with the pearly gates) strat to the Big Apple. Those are great strats.

That’s honestly probably my ideal guitar. I love single coil neck tones and I love humbucker bridge tones and I love the way Strats play. 

2 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:
6 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:
8AD96680-6F12-4BD9-9BBE-3D33013CD5E5.thumb.jpeg.7848cab456381f9d14deb8fd3ee0f8b8.jpeg

That's both awesome and disgusting at the same time.

Depends how you want to look at it. If guys like Billy didn’t start collecting the 57-60’s when they did. There would probably be far less than the roughly 1710 that are currently accounted for. 

His collection (along with others) also help authenticate any new serial number that may pop up. At a half million each on today’s market, one would be wise to do their due diligence. Ask Paul Stanley.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DougO said:

Probably true for the most part with solid state amps. You might have to fix some input jacks or a faulty plug or something. But I've known too many people who got what they thought was a killer deal on a tube amp and ended up having to spend more money having it overhauled than the purchase price.

I haven't had anything too bad, but I bought a blues Deville off a guy with a tube rattle I never could figure out, annoyed the hell out of me. I was relieved to be able to get rid of it.

As far as guitars, there's not much on one that I can't fix myself, other than a warped neck or worn out frets, which I can spot pretty easily before i buy it. I can even solder in my own pots and pickups if adequately motivated. Of course, I don't want to buy anything too damn ugly, but some "game used" normal wear doesn't bother me much, just makes it more seasoned, like a good barbecue grill.

My dad has a 70s Twin that rode around in the back of his band trailer for literally decades.  Every once in a while he'd take it in to tighten up everything that had shaken loose. But damn if that thing doesn't just keep on ticking.  Perhaps you just weren't turning the Deville up loud enough?

Guitars I agree.  Electronics/hardware can be replaced.  But once you get moisture in the wood.  Kiss that thing goodbye.

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Depends how you want to look at it. If guys like Billy didn’t start collecting the 57-60’s when they did. There would probably be far less than the roughly 1710 that are currently accounted for. 

His collection (along with others) also help authenticate any new serial number that may pop up. At a half million each on today’s market, one would be wise to do their due diligence. Ask Paul Stanley.

C'mon.  Don't leave us hanging here. What's the Paul Stanley story?

03efa1d89e86dadd527308894f330358.jpg
Me playing my Les Paul traditional honey burst. A buddy and I entered a contest for the Detroit Tigers. It was called April in the D. They would play your song during tigers games on tv when they cut to commercial. This is me playing in Comerica Park where the tigers play. It’s a stage in a bar area. We got to do a 40 minute set. When we played our April in the D song the filmed it live on FS Detroit. Pretty cool. We took 2nd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fucking awesome.

3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Fucking awesome.

Thanks man. It was a lot of fun to get to say I sorta played a stadium. The fox people came up to us after and told us the players from the tigers were taking BP and they were pumping our show through the speakers and the players were moving to it. Was cool

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

tenor.gif

I'm in the market for another bass.  Thinking heavily about a PB or JB 5 string.  Let me know if anyone finds one in mint condition for $100 say.  Thanks.

Today's Stupid Deal of the Day is a G&L Tribute J Bass in Turquoise Mist for $299.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid?source=3GOA5A9A

20200917_153937.jpg

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

C'mon.  Don't leave us hanging here. What's the Paul Stanley story?

I’m sure you’re familiar with the never ending saga between Ace Frehley and Paul Stanley?

Well, to make that relationship even worse it was Ace who came out publicly on the Les Paul forum claiming a 59 Paul bought and posted photos of was in fact a fake. 

Long story short....Pauls Les Paul was fake. Ace calls him a dumb ass and the mod’s locked the thread. Interesting thing is, apparently it wasn’t even a very good fake. Embarrassing as that is, Paul was also out the reported $350,000 he paid for it. And let’s just say Ace and Paul don’t send each other Christmas cards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

You don’t need an extra string. It just makes it harder to play.

Yeah, I do. I need that low D and even lower, if I tune it down.. I know some people think 5-string basses are pretentious but they really do have a use at times.

Edited by phdhorn

29 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I’m sure you’re familiar with the never ending saga between Ace Frehley and Paul Stanley?

Well, to make that relationship even worse it was Ace who came out publicly on the Les Paul forum claiming a 59 Paul bought and posted photos of was in fact a fake. 

Long story short....Pauls Les Paul was fake. Ace calls him a dumb ass and the mod’s locked the thread. Interesting thing is, apparently it wasn’t even a very good fake. Embarrassing as that is, Paul was also out the reported $350,000 he paid for it. And let’s just say Ace and Paul don’t send each other Christmas cards.

I know Ace's drummer -- I need to ask about this.

Paul Stanley needs to be playing an Flying V or an Iceman, regardless.  He doesn't need to be playing no Les Paul when Ace is on the triple-pickup version.

• Like 1

Thanks, I’m not really familiar with that particular squabble as my KISS following days ended about 1st grade, though I do remember when they ditched the makeup and released “Heavens on Fire.” Terrible.

I would watch either a “Sour Grapes” or “How to Steal a Million” treatment’s is counterfeit guitars

11 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Noice.  Not sure it makes a discernable pitch, but if you want to till your garden, just stand in front of it with that thing, be done in 20 seconds.

This on ebay for 7 Benjamins (about half the going rate):

s-l640.jpg

Very tempting...

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Noice.  Not sure it makes a discernable pitch, but if you want to till your garden, just stand in front of it with that thing, be done in 20 seconds.

This on ebay for 7 Benjamins (about half the going rate):

s-l640.jpg

Very tempting...

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/d/frisco-fender-jazz-bass-5-mim/7182472066.html

MIM  Fender Jazz 5. $540

D026E158-25E4-41D2-A18D-0CB723BF9852.jpeg

Edited by topochico

3 hours ago, topochico said:

Damn love that color!  I might call - however I"m buying a sax this month, and could spend anywhere from $700 to 3X that, so we'll see.  My daughter could pick it up, she lives in N. Dallas.