The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Yea and his 7s. Lol.

But re: the drum machine, I mean it was the 80s and they were trying to stay relevant as a blues band. I’d say they did a pretty good job of it while keeping as bluesy (for the most part) as possible. Granted some was off the rails but I think the point is still valid.

• Like 1

Yea and his 7s. Lol.

But re: the drum machine, I mean it was the 80s and they were trying to stay relevant as a blues band. I’d say they did a pretty good job of it while keeping as bluesy (for the most part) as possible. Granted some was off the rails but I think the point is still valid.

And there’s no arguing with success (though musicians make a masochistic go at it all the time). They did stay relevant in the 80s. I did not know they existed before Eliminator.

Plus Frank really really liked his drugs so...could’ve been equal parts necessity as inspiration.

Where’s he located Hulla? I need someone good to drop of the Breedlove with and maybe take a look at one or two others in the collection.

St Mountain address but right at 285 and N. Decatur. His shop is in his garage. But he generally meets me in the parking lot at the Guitar Center on 85 at N. Druid Hills.

Call him at 404-904-9970. Let him know you got my number from him. He will likely say, "Who?" Very easy to work with. He told me 3 days on my last one and it was ready the next day.

Generally cash. You know... government and all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I'm casual friends with the engineer on that record.  He sides with me -- it was a shame to minimize Beard.  There is absolutely nothing about those songs that would have resonated less with a human drummer.

Edited by jimmyjazz

8 hours ago, DallasHorn26 said:

Question for the experts. I've played a little in the past when I was younger, but never really fully committed to it. My youngest daughter (soon to be 10) is showing interest in playing. Her mom and I are looking into giving her a guitar and lessons for her upcoming birthday. What would you guys recommend she starts with that's not a crazy investment, but decent enough to learn on? I feel like she is pretty small for her age too, so I don't want to get her anything that's hard for her to play.

Do you think acoustic or electric?

If you feel like she needs a smaller guitar, my opinion when I looked at little acoustics was that the Taylor (Baby Taylor) sounded the best between it and whatever the small Martin is called. I want to say they were in the $300 range.... $370 here .

I bought my niece a mini strat when she was.... maybe 8 or 9. It's $180 here. If that's around the budget you've got, it's a decent choice. If you've got another hundo to spend above that, maybe get it set up. This is where you take it to a guitar technician and they set the intonation, make sure the neck is well adjusted, etc. I would say that... the tuners aren't awesome (it can be slightly hard to get it precisely in tune), and not a huge amount of quality control. On my niece's strat, within a year or two she had lost the little washer that holds the input jack in place. I had to take the plate off and... use the inside washer to secure it to the outside, which isn't ideal. I tried to find another washer but didn't succeed and ordered the wrong thing. At any rate, that kind of thing with that guitar.

A totally rad alternative for a bit more money would be a Duo Sonic. Here's our girl Liz Phair with one

Liz_Phair-ST.jpg

It's more of a "real" guitar, but is a shorter scale than something like a strat/tele/les paul/etc. Was a Fender student model from the... 50s-60s, but a lot of people dig them and they are cool guitars. $600 here .

The advice to hedge your bets by getting something you'd be into isn't terrible. Typical advice, particularly for an electric (extra particularly for a full sized electric) would be that you want to lean heavily towards the one that she is excited about. If you think she's big enough for a full size guitar, look at things like stratocasters, telecasters, Les Paul juniors. I'm sure we're all happy to field more questions. If there's a guitar player she really likes in particular, that may be a good indicator for what guitar she might be interested in. But probably there's one that makes her go "hell yeah" and something like that is what you should try and get her.

• Hook 'Em 1

Moving people called me today to do an initial assessment of what all I have to get hauled off to North Carolina. I think I'll probably end up moving my guitars myself (and holding onto them or getting climate controlled storage for them while we're in a temporary apartment), but the lady was asking about what high value items I own and I was curious about the storage they were going into. She said something like "I imagine an acoustic guitar is a couple hundred bucks" at some point and I laughed very heartily.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

If you feel like she needs a smaller guitar, my opinion when I looked at little acoustics was that the Taylor (Baby Taylor) sounded the best between it and whatever the small Martin is called. I want to say they were in the $300 range.... $370 here .

I bought my niece a mini strat when she was.... maybe 8 or 9. It's $180 here. If that's around the budget you've got, it's a decent choice. If you've got another hundo to spend above that, maybe get it set up. This is where you take it to a guitar technician and they set the intonation, make sure the neck is well adjusted, etc. I would say that... the tuners aren't awesome (it can be slightly hard to get it precisely in tune), and not a huge amount of quality control. On my niece's strat, within a year or two she had lost the little washer that holds the input jack in place. I had to take the plate off and... use the inside washer to secure it to the outside, which isn't ideal. I tried to find another washer but didn't succeed and ordered the wrong thing. At any rate, that kind of thing with that guitar.

A totally rad alternative for a bit more money would be a Duo Sonic. Here's our girl Liz Phair with one

Liz_Phair-ST.jpg

It's more of a "real" guitar, but is a shorter scale than something like a strat/tele/les paul/etc. Was a Fender student model from the... 50s-60s, but a lot of people dig them and they are cool guitars. $600 here .

The advice to hedge your bets by getting something you'd be into isn't terrible. Typical advice, particularly for an electric (extra particularly for a full sized electric) would be that you want to lean heavily towards the one that she is excited about. If you think she's big enough for a full size guitar, look at things like stratocasters, telecasters, Les Paul juniors. I'm sure we're all happy to field more questions. If there's a guitar player she really likes in particular, that may be a good indicator for what guitar she might be interested in. But probably there's one that makes her go "hell yeah" and something like that is what you should try and get her.

Take her to a music store and let her decide what she wants. She be more into it if she's invested in the choice. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Liz_Phair-ST.jpg

Relic’d DuoSonc, wnb
  • Hook 'Em 1

Moving people called me today to do an initial assessment of what all I have to get hauled off to North Carolina. I think I'll probably end up moving my guitars myself (and holding onto them or getting climate controlled storage for them while we're in a temporary apartment), but the lady was asking about what high value items I own and I was curious about the storage they were going into. She said something like "I imagine an acoustic guitar is a couple hundred bucks" at some point and I laughed very heartily.

When I moved to Victoria 3 years ago (what a bad idea that was for fuck’s sake) I rented a uhaul 6x12 trailer and took all my drums and hardware in it. I wasn’t trusting anybody with 20k worth of drums, cymbals, and hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Definitely doing likewise. It'll be like old times.

I'm trying to figure out storage for guitars when we're staying in a temporary apartment for a few months. I... can't have 15 guitar cases and uh... 5 amps now in the apartment. Or at least, I can't have them and my wife in the apartment. I figure I should be OK if I store guitars in a properly climate controlled rental storage unit, right? I guess should I worry or to what extent should I worry about expensive acoustics and humidity or temperature fluctuations? Doing the googling and all that now but I am curious if anyone has experience with that.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2020 at 6:10 PM, Scooter Monzingo said:

I’m sure you’re familiar with the never ending saga between Ace Frehley and Paul Stanley?

Well... let’s just say Ace and Paul don’t send each other Christmas cards.

Well Paul is Jewish, so...

20 hours ago, DallasHorn26 said:

Question for the experts. I've played a little in the past when I was younger, but never really fully committed to it. My youngest daughter (soon to be 10) is showing interest in playing. Her mom and I are looking into giving her a guitar and lessons for her upcoming birthday. What would you guys recommend she starts with that's not a crazy investment, but decent enough to learn on? I feel like she is pretty small for her age too, so I don't want to get her anything that's hard for her to play.

ACOUSTIC: Get her an Orangewood Dana Mahogany or Spruce. It's 23.5 inch scale and a 43mm nut and her fingers will be able to play it. It also can take a beating. I have the Mahogany and really like it. (DO NOT BUY ANY GUITAR WITH A NUT LARGER THAN 43MM! Acoustic or Electric)

It sounds good and if you use the code DARRELLSFRIENDS10 or MARYSFRIENDS10, you get 10% off of a $125 guitar that comes with free shipping.

https://orangewoodguitars.com/collections/playa-collection

She would probably like the wings on the Oliver Jr's 12th fret, but they're never in stock, so forget it. It's a better sounding guitar, but the Dana is fine..

Step 1: Put 10 gauge strings on it so that it won't kill her fingers.

Step 2: If there is a lot of space between the strings and the frets, adjust the neck so that the action is low. This will also protect her fingers.

Step 3: If you are in over your head, take it to someone to do this for you.

ELECTRIC: Get something with a 24 inch scale AT MOST! 

Fender Mustangs, Duo-Sonic, or Jaguars if you like blowing money. 

Squier Mustangs, Jaguars, or Mini Strats/ Mini-Teles if you're smart.

Take the strings off and put on 8s. These are extremely light, but again, they will protect her fingers.

Lower the action and yada-yada-yada, but start with LOW-LOW-LOW gauge strings and then let her move up once she thinks that they are too light.

NOTE: The electric guitar will be MUCH MUCH easier on her fingers than an acoustic guitar. This will increase her chances of sticking with it. People who play completely forget about the pain that strings inflict on beginning fingers.

Lastly, the suggestion of letting her pick the guitar is a good one. The issue is that people who work at guitar stores that do NOT teach lessons don't give a shit or not if your daughter sticks to the guitar, so they don't care about what is best for her. They just want to make the sale. I would talk to a teacher BEFORE you go buy a guitar, especially if you are going to bring her along, and find out a good location for small-sized beginner guitars. And again, change those strings immediately!

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I'm trying to figure out storage for guitars when we're staying in a temporary apartment for a few months. I... can't have 15 guitar cases and uh... 5 amps now in the apartment. Or at least, I can't have them and my wife in the apartment. I figure I should be OK if I store guitars in a properly climate controlled rental storage unit, right? I guess should I worry or to what extent should I worry about expensive acoustics and humidity or temperature fluctuations? Doing the googling and all that now but I am curious if anyone has experience with that.

You'd better figure out what your wife needs in exchange for keeping them in the apartment.  A friend of mine - working musician - just had all his gear stolen from a self storage.  Probably an inside job.  This is not uncommon.  

12 hours ago, Celery Man said:

If it’s climate controlled storage, I think it would be just fine. Temperature and humidity will be maintained within a reasonable range. Your wife should be fine there while you keep the amps and guitars at the apartment. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Deej said:

Take her to a music store and let her decide what she wants. She be more into it if she's invested in the choice. 

I picked up an Epiphone Les Paul Special for my 10 year old five years ago.  Paid $70 on Reverb for it.  He's still playing it 5 years later.  It's a good little electric guitar.  The P90s sound great. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As promised (i.e. threatened), here's the brief demo of the bass, tag still attached (first runs w/it for good luck!) and all.  Exactly why I wanted a 5-string, stuff like "Mr. E Stevie Ray" or songs in B-E keys.  Those extra low notes can add some punch.  Anyway, it's "phonetaped' so sound isn't terrific and it's brief because I didn't want to blow a gig on storage, but you get the idea... man this bass is smooth-playing, and really easy on the hands.  I like the thinner neck of the JB vs. PB and this 5-stringer of course is thicker, but almost guitar-like in feel.   Plus we need more of yous guys with all these pieces of stuff to demo them - like doesn't everyone on here bang supermodel 10's and play like the guy Hendrix bows down to?  C'mon, pony up!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g1EKspD3BWXNRw-xH2Rup76-d6oF6KQB/view?usp=sharing

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 10:29 PM, Celery Man said:

Rent a second apartment for the guitars.

House staging lady loved my guitars and wanted them out for the photos. Feels like overkill but that’s what we’re starting with( obviously everything is still a mess). Also, wife thought my guitar would fill up an entire trailer and seemed dubious of my trailer + guitar Tetris expertise. Pfft.
62d300d1066be64dcaf4e5a1b7ed7c68.jpgba87b75d698ae3b257a7804b021d91e3.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

That butterscotch Tele bass is my jam. 

We are looking at homes right now and the guitar staging is definitely a thing. Usually it's just an acoustic in the corner. You have it dialed up to 11. 

Also, I've been there on having just one square left on the Rubik's cube. I stopped and claimed a "close enough" victory too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/1/2020 at 7:44 AM, hullabelew said:

Think a Les Paul is heavy?  How about a 19 lb concrete Strat.

I want to see them use the same mold to make a guitar out of closed cell foam that will weigh about four ounces and then compare the tone between the two.