The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

17 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Welp bad news I may have fractured my right wrist this morning carrying my daughter down the stairs. She’s 5 and I slipped carrying her down this morning for breakfast at like 6am. She was half asleep and I couldn’t see shit. I started falling forward but was like fuck that don’t want her to get hurt so I took the fall. She’s fine I’m not. Hope it’s a quick cast in and out with no therapy and shit Man. 4 days into 2021! Lol all good tho

It's more important to be a good dad than a good guitar player.  Well done.

BTW, your mileage may vary, but I had a lower end Washburn 12 a while back.  Loved it.  Until the neck warped on it like a candy cane.  If you're dying for a 12 string, I'd look for something used that the test of time has proven.  

Edited by Chad Fuck

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

It's more important to be a good dad than a good guitar player.  Well done.

BTW, your mileage may vary, but I had a lower end Washburn 12 a while back.  Loved it.  Until the neck warped on it like a candy cane.  If you're dying for a 12 string, I'd look for something used that the test of time has proven.  

Thanks dude! Yeah man I’m not dying for one to be honest. I just want a real hummingbird 6 string so every time I see those I’m like hmmmm... also every epiphone acoustic I ever picked up was hot garbage 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Welp bad news I may have fractured my right wrist this morning carrying my daughter down the stairs. She’s 5 and I slipped carrying her down this morning for breakfast at like 6am. She was half asleep and I couldn’t see shit. I started falling forward but was like fuck that don’t want her to get hurt so I took the fall. She’s fine I’m not. Hope it’s a quick cast in and out with no therapy and shit Man. 4 days into 2021! Lol all good tho

Glad the dad superpowers kicked in for your daughter's sake.  Heal up soon.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Goredho said:

So this demo arrived today.  I think I'm going to bond with this one, or at least I have two weeks to make sure.  Its got some scratches on the pickguard (that is going to be replaced soon) and needs a good set up (the action is a little high and the intonation is off on a couple strings).  But that said, I spent a half hour today playing the solo for "Hey Joe" over and over because it felt great and sounded good enough.  That's a good sign, right?

93-E2-DAD1-1-A75-48-AA-8139-1-A69-BF5383

F8-C7-E28-A-F568-4680-A060-6-E44-E0-FA0-

I like the feel of the neck on this one.  The rosewood board, rounded frets, 9.5" radius and rounded neck contour at the body joint are all part of that.

61100-B25-BC46-48-E4-8-D02-3-D5-E87-FA49
E5-D0-AE47-0-EDB-4077-907-C-79351-BDCC6-

Not sure about the pickups, all my tones are dialed in off of gibson or gibson-like guitars with humbuckers or P90s.  I'll need to spend some time there before I make a decision as to whether to grab some after market pickups.

200.gif

Beauty, eh!

• Hook 'Em 1

Damn @Goredho  That is beautiful.  I LOVE white guitars.  

On the 12 string front, I told this before, but in the early 82, I bought a 12 string Hohner.  I had sold most of my stuff and got guitar hungry.  I was looking at a this one, a 12 string Tak and a couple of teles.  I think I paid $450 for this.  For a couple of years, Hohner made GREAT guitars.  Really wood bindings...I've never found any flaw in how this thing was built and it stays in tune better than any guitar I own.  I don't play it a lot but when I do, I LOVE it.   Several times over the years, I've thought about selling it but none of the used places can find it in their books.  All say they could give me $100 which means they think they could sell it for $200.  But all agree it is worth between $600-$800 and honestly, I wouldn't take less than $800 for it.  It is loud as fuck and gets louder and better sounding each year.  

20150131_200747.jpg

20150131_213108.jpg

20150131_200729.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5

22 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

I may have broke my wrist on Sunday. Waiting for x-rays to come back, hoping it’s just a bad sprain. All I can think of is not being able to play guitar as well...

1 hour ago, NoRagrets said:

I may have broke my wrist on Sunday. Waiting for x-rays to come back, hoping it’s just a bad sprain. All I can think of is not being able to play guitar as well...

Fuck man! That stinks. As far as my injury is concerned I didn’t fracture my wrist like I thought I actually fractured my arm so I have to get a cast tomorrow for 4 to 6 weeks. Also it’s my right arm so you know what that means how do I wipe my own ass.

32 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Fuck man! That stinks. As far as my injury is concerned I didn’t fracture my wrist like I thought I actually fractured my arm so I have to get a cast tomorrow for 4 to 6 weeks. Also it’s my right arm so you know what that means how do I wipe my own ass.

I recommend a bidet. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So this demo arrived today.  I think I'm going to bond with this one, or at least I have two weeks to make sure.  Its got some scratches on the pickguard (that is going to be replaced soon) and needs a good set up (the action is a little high and the intonation is off on a couple strings).  But that said, I spent a half hour today playing the solo for "Hey Joe" over and over because it felt great and sounded good enough.  That's a good sign, right?

93-E2-DAD1-1-A75-48-AA-8139-1-A69-BF538337.jpg

F8-C7-E28-A-F568-4680-A060-6-E44-E0-FA0-D6-E.jpg

I like the feel of the neck on this one.  The rosewood board, rounded frets, 9.5" radius and rounded neck contour at the body joint are all part of that.

61100-B25-BC46-48-E4-8-D02-3-D5-E87-FA492-F.jpg
E5-D0-AE47-0-EDB-4077-907-C-79351-BDCC6-FF.jpg

Not sure about the pickups, all my tones are dialed in off of gibson or gibson-like guitars with humbuckers or P90s.  I'll need to spend some time there before I make a decision as to whether to grab some after market pickups.

Swoon...
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/4/2021 at 4:42 PM, Goredho said:

93-E2-DAD1-1-A75-48-AA-8139-1-A69-BF5383

F8-C7-E28-A-F568-4680-A060-6-E44-E0-FA0-

61100-B25-BC46-48-E4-8-D02-3-D5-E87-FA49
E5-D0-AE47-0-EDB-4077-907-C-79351-BDCC6-

I was having issues dialing in some tones on my helix for the new strat last night, everything I put together sounded thin and weak, and I was starting to wonder if I was just going to be unhappy with the pickups or the guitar itself.

Today I poked around on the Line 6 customtone site and found a "Texas Blues" preset made by some random dude that I think works pretty well with this guitar.  Here's the previously mentioned solo for "Hey Joe" kind of sloppily played using this preset over a backing track.   This tone sounds pretty decent to me and makes me think its probably just my shitty inability to craft a decent strat tone.  Anyone got any advice on how to eq or otherwise come up with decent tones on a strat?  Maybe something a little more like a David Gilmore tone or something?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I thought that too but every time some company buys another company it’s always because they have convinced themselves that they have a different better way, because they have to grow value.

It’s rarely better when the acquired is good at what they do.

They should have bought crate or Peavey or something, changed the name, and tried to make them decent.

17 hours ago, Goredho said:

Anyone got any advice on how to eq or otherwise come up with decent tones on a strat?

My usual cure-all for a strat is turn up the volume and use the neck pickup.  But I'm playing through tube amps.  So that's kind of the cure-all generally. :)

That tone sounds good overall.  The part I'm hearing that's a little wanting in maybe in the low mids.  I can hear it in the "take a walk" part at the end of the solo. 

What gauge strings?  Also, could be just a pickup adjustment as suggested.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, dcbc said:

My usual cure-all for a strat is turn up the volume and use the neck pickup.  But I'm playing through tube amps.  So that's kind of the cure-all generally. :)

That tone sounds good overall.  The part I'm hearing that's a little wanting in maybe in the low mids.  I can hear it in the "take a walk" part at the end of the solo. 

What gauge strings?  Also, could be just a pickup adjustment as suggested.

Thanks, I'm using 10s.  This is the best I've heard the guitar sound through my all-digital setup.  I did find a couple of other highly reviewed strat presets that I've downloaded but haven't gotten to play with yet.  I hope I can deconstruct what they are doing to fatten things up in some of what I want to do, or just use them as a starting point for hacking.

I've got a Vox AC30 in storage I'll bust out this weekend and see how the guitar sounds with it vs the Helix.  That might allow me to rule out the pickups/pickup height as an issue.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Goredho said:

Thanks, I'm using 10s.  This is the best I've heard the guitar sound through my all-digital setup.  I did find a couple of other highly reviewed strat presets that I've downloaded but haven't gotten to play with yet.  I hope I can deconstruct what they are doing to fatten things up in some of what I want to do, or just use them as a starting point for hacking.

I've got a Vox AC30 in storage I'll bust out this weekend and see how the guitar sounds with it vs the Helix.  That might allow me to rule out the pickups/pickup height as an issue.

LIke I said, I thought it sounded good.  But since you were asking, I'd say that if it were me, I'd want a little more thump/spank out of the low strings.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Damn @Goredho  LOVE that look!  

Thanks, and me too.  I had a leather pickguard in mind but had no idea I wanted an olympic white strat to put it on until I started playing around with the american pro II color schemes and the leather look in photoshop.  Then I dropped a mockup here and everyone steered me in the right direction.

Edit: This is who prouced the pickguard, and I would recommend them if you want something custom & leather involving guitars https://reverb.com/shop/suedeskintools

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

oh wow I don't think i've actually seen the... is it with the change to "Professional" that they started doing that neck plate scooping?

very cool, that'll look great.

if the Mesa guys are worried they should call up the folks at Baldwin

Thanks, the American Elite were the first that had them, and it’s a more exaggerated scoop on them:

neck-joint-small.jpg

That feature then carried down to American Pro 2 which was released later last year.  It probably does help a bit playing above the 15th fret, but’s in not an earth shattering change.

12 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I’m a traditionalist when it comes to Fender Strats. That looks weird.

The aesthetics of the contoured neck heal don't bother me personally.  I mean, I'm almost never looking at the guitar from that direction.  If it was something majorly divergent on the front of the guitar, it might bother me more. *shrugs*

On 1/5/2021 at 9:10 PM, AnotherUTFan said:

Sorry to hear Bogey.

Whatever Pre- Chad is, he's a dude to listen to for sure.

On mybside of the world, new guitar dat finally arrived. I think I'm going to love this big, fat, glossy neck and contoured heel!

ba4b9be4dcc52b7e89af7be95053af0b.jpgd25668a2b2f00846c26219c501380827.jpgc21e5139e48c758aeaffe630eadbf388.jpg

Lookin fwd to this completion....really liking the color

• Hook 'Em 1