The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

On 2/4/2021 at 12:04 PM, Deej said:

I just tried the teflon tape trick. It is most decidedly bullshit. I've used it before on pneumatic stuff where it belongs, but that shit does not like to give up its free will. It does not want to do what you want it to do, especially on a slick chrome surface with no threads. Only wasted about half the roll, though.

1 hour ago, Paul Wesley said:

Temperature falling, your family is freezing, and you have to keep the fire going or die.  You have to burn one instrument that you own.  What goes in the fire?

Caveat:   Let’s assume you’ve already burned the banjo(s)

Eh, my kids have an Epi Dot and Squier Strat.  Those would be the first to go.

1 hour ago, Paul Wesley said:

Temperature falling, your family is freezing, and you have to keep the fire going or die.  You have to burn one instrument that you own.  What goes in the fire?

Man the Hendrix Monterey strat :/

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

Are we going for heat v time?  

Or is this strictly about what's your shittiest guitar?

Answer #1 is LP Custom.  Heavy as fuck solid mahogany and I'll bet that summbitch would burn hot and leave coals for days.

Answer #2 is easier.  I have a Chinese Fender Acoustic that's my campfire guitar.  No great loss, though I'd probably breathe in all sorts of nasty toxins from whatever plasticky finish is on it.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Thought you guys would appreciate this... you know the very first thing I did when I woke up at 1:30 a.m. Mon morning to find out that the power had just gone out, and I knew that the house was heading for polar climate?

The very first thing?

Headed to the studio, put my Strat (sitting on a stand) into the case to protect it from the cold.  Then covered my Leslie 122 with a soft tarp.  Then I woke up my wife to tell her about our new situation.

No question I've got my priorities straight.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Thought you guys would appreciate this... you know the very first thing I did when I woke up at 1:30 a.m. Mon morning to find out that the power had just gone out, and I knew that the house was heading for polar climate?

The very first thing?

Headed to the studio, put my Strat (sitting on a stand) into the case to protect it from the cold.  Then covered my Leslie 122 with a soft tarp.  Then I woke up my wife to tell her about our new situation.

Good move. My heart goes out to everyone without power. Wish I could do something from michigan 

• Hook 'Em 1

It's funny that Mike Campbell mentions the '59 being the inspiration for "Mojo".   On that final tour, they did this song with Mike playing a LP.  The sound was so different, neither me or the girl I was with recognized it.  I had to wait until I got home to pull out all of my petty and find the song.  It sounded like a lost Led Zeppelin song when they played it.  I assume he was playing the Les Paul on the album, but live????? Holy fuck, what a great arena rock song.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, phdhorn said:

The very first thing?

Tell us more about this 122.  Preferably with pics.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Tell us more about this 122.  Preferably with pics.

Sure, I got time waiting for my house/neighborhood roads to thaw later today!

Time for one pic anyway:
Leslie.thumb.jpg.4c8261535e7bb16522015fcfb19dfb63.jpg

Background:  First instrument I ever learned was the organ. and got my first Hammond at age 5.  Blah blah blah fast forward... (many years of Hammond/Leslie experience words).. so I wanted to get after many years another B-3 although I'd consider an A-100 or C-3 series (exact same organ except for furniture casings).  Wasn't in the market to buy but I came across a church in Kansas that was selling a C-3 with "Leslie 122" and would ship for $700 (now I can tell you that it's damn near impossible to get an organ and Leslie shipped from anywhere in the U.S. for under $1,500, believe me).  Entire rig... wait for it... $2,900.  OMG.  Now the guy said "the organ works but can't promise anything else."  Didn't care, I got a Hammond guy in Austin, plus I know a bit about 'em myself.  Snapped it up faster than pre-2010 Texas football tickets.

Gets here and OMG the organ is in MINT shape mechanically.  Yeah it's got a few dings and such being from 1956, but still very, very awesome shape!  So I look at the Leslie, and if you can see it, it's actually a 22H.  This is a Leslie that has only one speed - chorus (slow).  But at some point someone put a 122 preamp (lower left of pic) into it; the preamp looks brand new.  This allows the 2 speeds (that incredible Hammond "vibrato" sound).  I double checked because the guy said "Leslie 122" and wanted to make sure and he told me the story.  So I have essentially a Leslie 122 with a replaced/almost brand new preamp!  It sounds incredible, I'll try to post some audio.

The bass speaker there has no scrim (cloth that covers it) but I bought one.  I just have to take it apart (not fun) to get the bass speaker spool out and wrap it (I think, maybe I can do it right there.  The scrim is helpful for recording, cuts down the wind noise which can be very rumbly, but a mic windscreen will do the same thing, so I'm in no hurry.  The Leslie is an original companion to this organ.

csb:  Had a great 145RV when I was in H.S. gigging and all... eventually stopped being in bands for awhile (thanks, disco era!) and let it sit.  Eventually I sold the thing for .... $75.  Seventy-Five.  Three Jacksons, A Hamilton and an Abe.   No one ever went out of their way to call me smart back then.  

Anyway, I ain't sellin' this one for $75.  Okay, $80 but you have to pick up!

Let me know if questions.  Yes, some day I might buy a kit to hook up a git-tar and see what happens.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Sure, I got time waiting for my house/neighborhood roads to thaw later today!

Time for one pic anyway:
Leslie.thumb.jpg.4c8261535e7bb16522015fcfb19dfb63.jpg

Background:  First instrument I ever learned was the organ. and got my first Hammond at age 5.  Blah blah blah fast forward... (many years of Hammond/Leslie experience words).. so I wanted to get after many years another B-3 although I'd consider an A-100 or C-3 series (exact same organ except for furniture casings).  Wasn't in the market to buy but I came across a church in Kansas that was selling a C-3 with "Leslie 122" and would ship for $700 (now I can tell you that it's damn near impossible to get an organ and Leslie shipped from anywhere in the U.S. for under $1,500, believe me).  Entire rig... wait for it... $2,900.  OMG.  Now the guy said "the organ works but can't promise anything else."  Didn't care, I got a Hammond guy in Austin, plus I know a bit about 'em myself.  Snapped it up faster than pre-2010 Texas football tickets.

Gets here and OMG the organ is in MINT shape mechanically.  Yeah it's got a few dings and such being from 1956, but still very, very awesome shape!  So I look at the Leslie, and if you can see it, it's actually a 22H.  This is a Leslie that has only one speed - chorus (slow).  But at some point someone put a 122 preamp (lower left of pic) into it; the preamp looks brand new.  This allows the 2 speeds (that incredible Hammond "vibrato" sound).  I double checked because the guy said "Leslie 122" and wanted to make sure and he told me the story.  So I have essentially a Leslie 122 with a replaced/almost brand new preamp!  It sounds incredible, I'll try to post some audio.

The bass speaker there has no scrim (cloth that covers it) but I bought one.  I just have to take it apart (not fun) to get the bass speaker spool out and wrap it (I think, maybe I can do it right there.  The scrim is helpful for recording, cuts down the wind noise which can be very rumbly, but a mic windscreen will do the same thing, so I'm in no hurry.  The Leslie is an original companion to this organ.

csb:  Had a great 145RV when I was in H.S. gigging and all... eventually stopped being in bands for awhile (thanks, disco era!) and let it sit.  Eventually I sold the thing for .... $75.  Seventy-Five.  Three Jacksons, A Hamilton and an Abe.   No one ever went out of their way to call me smart back then.  

Anyway, I ain't sellin' this one for $75.  Okay, $80 but you have to pick up!

Let me know if questions.  Yes, some day I might buy a kit to hook up a git-tar and see what happens.

Yeah, I was going to ask if you had the guitar hook up for that.  I have a friend who had a BV for years.  Then he upgraded recently to a B-3, after his good friend and virtuoso Tim Alexander passed (the BV was donated to a local arts magnet).  He's a mechanical wizard.  He convinced me to get an M-3 which was just sitting around his local Mason's lodge and they were trying to get rid of it.  I'm not a keyboard player per se, but I love poking around on it on occasion and at least I have a guaranteed maintenance hook up.  Jr. has been taking piano for a while and loves it.   

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Yeah, I was going to ask if you had the guitar hook up for that.  I have a friend who had a BV for years.  Then he upgraded recently to a B-3, after his good friend and virtuoso Tim Alexander passed (the BV was donated to a local arts magnet).  He's a mechanical wizard.  He convinced me to get an M-3 which was just sitting around his local Mason's lodge and they were trying to get rid of it.  I'm not a keyboard player per se, but I love poking around on it on occasion and at least I have a guaranteed maintenance hook up.  Jr. has been taking piano for a while and loves it.   

Ha!  My first organ at age 5 was an M-3!  csb#2:  played it from about 5-13, took lessons all that.  Then like the family pet, I leave it at our family house, go off to college and become a Real Man in the world.  Still sat there for decades (told my mom NEVER to sell it).  So mom passes in 2018, I have to go up for a month and engineer pre-sale flips and improvements to prep the house for sale (dad died many years ago, she was it so the house was going to be sold), U-Haul it down myself to my house here.  It ain't starting up, no way (hadn't been played for maybe 30 years).  Tried to oil it, nothing.  Got the Hammond guy to come over (he's very good here in Austin), said it was one of the hardest ones to get re-going (those tonewheels were stuck like cement) but did.  Did some soldering, re-wiring, etc.  Voila!  Works!

Now, it would take some fairly expensive equipment to hook up to the 122 and switch back/forth with the C-3, but the main thing is I don't have room for both organs in the studio.  But I also didn't want to really use it a lot here (though I might some day).  Mainly it's nostalgic.  But it's been restored and plays great!  <sniff>  Mostly for th memories.  I have my dad's 1928 violin sitting with it - I paid to get that restored, and it sounds pretty good, but again - nostalgia.  How many of us have 90 year old instruments?  Maybe a few.

So that's all my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

PSA- If you have humidifier, it is time to crank that bitch up as high as it will go. Humidity in my guitar room was at 22%. If it gets too low, the finish will "eggshell". My Old Man's 62' Gibson Great Southern did that years ago. It still plays great, but I'm sure it diminished the value a good bit.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Ha!  My first organ at age 5 was an M-3!  csb#2:  played it from about 5-13, took lessons all that.  Then like the family pet, I leave it at our family house, go off to college and become a Real Man in the world.  Still sat there for decades (told my mom NEVER to sell it).  So mom passes in 2018, I have to go up for a month and engineer pre-sale flips and improvements to prep the house for sale (dad died many years ago, she was it so the house was going to be sold), U-Haul it down myself to my house here.  It ain't starting up, no way (hadn't been played for maybe 30 years).  Tried to oil it, nothing.  Got the Hammond guy to come over (he's very good here in Austin), said it was one of the hardest ones to get re-going (those tonewheels were stuck like cement) but did.  Did some soldering, re-wiring, etc.  Voila!  Works!

Now, it would take some fairly expensive equipment to hook up to the 122 and switch back/forth with the C-3, but the main thing is I don't have room for both organs in the studio.  But I also didn't want to really use it a lot here (though I might some day).  Mainly it's nostalgic.  But it's been restored and plays great!  <sniff>  Mostly for th memories.  I have my dad's 1928 violin sitting with it - I paid to get that restored, and it sounds pretty good, but again - nostalgia.  How many of us have 90 year old instruments?  Maybe a few.

So that's all my story and I'm stickin' to it.

It's a good story and I'm glad you shared it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Trekii makes cool shit, including a preamp where you can run anything through a Leslie cabinet:

https://trekii.com/products/leslie-speaker-accessories/uc-1a-pedal-110v.html

That used to be on my "wish list" but the guitar pedals that simulate a rotary speaker have gotten really good, and there's other stuff I'd rather have for that $$$.

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

It's a good story and I'm glad you shared it.

Oh yeah, BTW, an M-3 will sound exactly like a B-3 (granted, less keyboard range) more or less.  Plus there's a little trick you can do (called foldback) that arranges the drawbar harmonics on the M-3 to exactly replicate the bigger Hammonds.  Takes someone with a little electric (i.e. schematics) skills and it's not a 10 min. thing, but if your friend is good with wiring diagrams you can get the upper and lower keys on an M-3 to be as full as a B-3 (the upper and lower harmonics disappear on the M-3 at high/low key extremes, simply because the highest and lowest drawbars go off of our hearing range.  But foldback is what you do to lower the highest/lowest tones of those few extreme keys so they reappear maybe an octave lower (i.e. "folding back").  That's what the big Hammonds do and why they sound so freaking cool and screamy at high/low ends.  

But I'm sure that's another topic for when we're out of this goddamn Pluto climate event.

• Like 1

Ha!  My one chance to record Ian McLagan was life-changing, for multiple reasons, but one of them was related to mic-ing up his Leslie.  I was green as grass and thrown into a pretty decent A-list session at the old ARC, and Ian was the keyboardist.  (He lined up a 4-pack of Guinness Pub Draft cans on his Hammond B3, which provided a little comfort.)

Dreading what was to come, I mic'ed up Don Harvey's drum kit, Scrappy's guitar, George Reiff's bass amp, and got everything dialed in.  Then came Ian's Hammond B3.  Fuck.  I had never mic'ed a Leslie.  I made a quick social calculation and said "fuck it", and I asked him:  "Hey, how have your best guys mic'ed this cabinet?"

He got totally involved, was thrilled he was even asked, and we nailed the shit out of that recording, using Shure SM57 microphones no less.  A ha ha ha!  Any port in a storm.

All hail Leslies, and all hail Ian McLagan.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Ha!  My one chance to record Ian McLagan was life-changing, for multiple reasons, but one of them was related to mic-ing up his Leslie.  I was green as grass and thrown into a pretty decent A-list session at the old ARC, and Ian was the keyboardist.  (He lined up a 4-pack of Guinness Pub Draft cans on his Hammond B3, which provided a little comfort.)

Dreading what was to come, I mic'ed up Don Harvey's drum kit, Scrappy's guitar, George Reiff's bass amp, and got everything dialed in.  Then came Ian's Hammond B3.  Fuck.  I had never mic'ed a Leslie.  I made a quick social calculation and said "fuck it", and I asked him:  "Hey, how have your best guys mic'ed this cabinet?"

He got totally involved, was thrilled he was even asked, and we nailed the shit out of that recording, using Shure SM57 microphones no less.  A ha ha ha!  Any port in a storm.

I mic the top with a 57, put it to the right side with the head about 1/2" inside the cabinet.  Wind noise can occur but a foam screen helps.  I do the bottom with an old EV RE16, as it's really good for the "treble" on the bass and isn't too boomy.

But yeah, the ONLY answer to "how do you mic a Leslie" is "however it sounds best."  People have mic'd 'em close up, far away, X pattern in treble, hanging from ropes, tied to the horn (ok, jk on that one)... 

What I did for the latest blues thing I did was to mic it in stereo - treble going to l and bass going to r.  WEIRD effect, but it has this cool wave thing if I mix it 60% or so towards the treble side (l).  The right has this ghosty bassy thing which I like.  The downside is you're kind of limited in your pan, really 2 choices - all left (only hear the treble SM57) or just to l of center (80% 57, 20% RE16).  Can' go right, all bassey.

Anyway if I have time from saving my house now, I might drop an audio clip in here to give a demo of that... stay tuned...

Wait... this is the guitar thread.  Oops, shitting all over it.  GUITARS!  YES!  ROCK!

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Always be learning and never be afraid to ask. That’s my take away here.

Happy birthday Kurt! Wish he was still around

Indeed. That model is on my short list because to me, Nirvana was like the first drop of water on the tongue after years of walking the hair metal wasteland. As a teen I worshipped at the holy Trinity of the Beatles, Stones and Zep and that “Cherry Pie” nonsense made my skin crawl. I appreciate that era more now, but still. I remember exactly where I was when I heard and saw the video for “Smells Like Teen Spirit.” Third floor, McConnell Hall at UNT.

Anyhow, what do you think of that Jaguar?

13 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Indeed. That model is on my short list because to me, Nirvana was like the first drop of water on the tongue after years of walking the hair metal wasteland. As a teen I worshipped at the holy Trinity of the Beatles, Stones and Zep and that “Cherry Pie” nonsense made my skin crawl. I appreciate that era more now, but still. I remember exactly where I was when I heard and saw the video for “Smells Like Teen Spirit.” Third floor, McConnell Hall at UNT.

That’s awesome! They were the first band I heard and was like “hey I can do this!”. I’m only 38 so I grew up on the album the Beatles first album and my parents rolling stone and Elvis records. I heard nirvana and was like I can structure a song like that and fuck simple solos.  
love the guitar get one it’s worth it!

18 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Also the pickups are HOT! 

OK, one more thing on this Leslie biz before I turn it back to all axemen all the time.

Just for something to look at/listen to, demo of the C-3 (only about 30 secs.) over a blues background I whipped up.  This is when I first got it in November.  Kind of junior high crappy non-cohesive solo, but don't care, mainly wanted to share the best sound in keyboard playing, when the Leslie tremolo kicks in.  That's almost better than sex.  Well in some cases a lot better.  And you don't have to pay for a cab afterwards.  Enjoy, laugh, cry, throw coffee at the screen, whatever moves you.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pANTtbmWIT0EwqYtPc_2UYOvbOpUYOi4/view?usp=sharing

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

...and, whatcha got for a room humidifier? I keep em on a stand..all of em & thru this Thunberg weather I'm tuning way more. 

I have a Venta Airwasher in the music room and works like a charm. Sitting here typing this at cool 45% relative. But, full disclosure, I've used exactly one humidifier in my life.

• Like 1

LW25

If you go that route, don't forget extra solution or additive, because it will absolutely pull shit out of the air and leave a gunk to scrape off the bottom and the additive makes keeping the thing clean easier and eliminates any smells.

The even have additives that add fragrances, and your man cave isn't complete until it smells of smooth smooth lavender. 

Edited by BoomMF
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, phdhorn said:

OK, one more thing on this Leslie biz before I turn it back to all axemen all the time.

Just for something to look at/listen to, demo of the C-3 (only about 30 secs.) over a blues background I whipped up.  This is when I first got it in November.  Kind of junior high crappy non-cohesive solo, but don't care, mainly wanted to share the best sound in keyboard playing, when the Leslie tremolo kicks in.  That's almost better than sex.  Well in some cases a lot better.  And you don't have to pay for a cab afterwards.  Enjoy, laugh, cry, throw coffee at the screen, whatever moves you.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pANTtbmWIT0EwqYtPc_2UYOvbOpUYOi4/view?usp=sharing

tenor.gif

I love when that Leslie kicks in, but also the decay when you turn it off is great too. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2