The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I got turned off on that HP when I saw the Demo stamp.

Not that the stamp makes it any less of a guitar, but part of why I'm comfortable investing in guitars is that they generally hold their value. Ones stamped Demo or 2nd rarely do that in my experience.

Keep the R8, at least for a while. You will always be able to get your money out of that one.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

That's where I am.  Though I think the HP is likely a better long term player outter.  I'm a fan of modern upgrades to vintagey looking standards across all the classics (Strat/Tele/LP).  Straight vintage guitars are like vintage cars.  There have been so many improvements over time that they are not for journeyman's work.  

I completely understand. However I didn’t tell you to buy a really, really nice collectible instrument.......with a fire top. 

Gibson didn’t make em all the same. I have seen a lot of the R series guitars that for the money, the tops were flat looking. Some guys dig the look, I ain’t one of those guys. When you find one that has F7 level maple on it, you buy it. In your case you keep it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I completely understand. However I didn’t tell you to buy a really, really nice collectible instrument.......with a fire top. 

Gibson didn’t make em all the same. I have seen a lot of the R series guitars that for the money, the tops were flat looking. Some guys dig the look, I ain’t one of those guys. When you find one that has F7 level maple on it, you buy it. In your case you keep it. 

Word.

2 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I got turned off on that HP when I saw the Demo stamp.

Not that the stamp makes it any less of a guitar, but part of why I'm comfortable investing in guitars is that they generally hold their value. Ones stamped Demo or 2nd rarely do that in my experience.

Keep the R8, at least for a while. You will always be able to get your money out of that one.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yeah that's my only hesitancy as well. If I were playing out more often, I'd probably hang the R8 on the wall for home use (in its' proper place in the LP temporal spectrum, of course) and make the HP the regular player.  But I haven't the need for it.  Not that that every stopped any of us...

Anyhow, fun to muse over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

I would fear the worst if an R8 was hanging. Hell, my Standard stays in the case when not being played. 

OK, so we will need a second R8 as a back up (just in case anything happens to the first R8). Then we need the HP as a player. I think for safety sake, we may need a back up player too. Just in case. 

• Hook 'Em 2

the Vibramate Bigsby kit for my Tele gets here today. I am simultaneously excited about adding it and trepidatious about fucking up the Tele's setup.... I love the way that guitar plays today, but I've been dying for a Vintera Tele w/Bigsby since I bought one last May and then got told by the seller "uh, sorry, we don't actually even have one of those, our automated system put up the listing and we didn't know until we got your order". 

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

I joined the Tele and relic douchebag club in the same day!

F53304-C5-082-A-40-F1-9-C98-47-A876-F0-D

970-B7742-F687-4-D50-AEC3-4320-D2-D68-D6

BA853-B2-D-F557-4093-9-EFE-40-E6-B661939

I usually don't love relics, but I love that guitar.  Custom shop?  Vintage reissue?  62 or 63?

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1