The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

I really don’t see the moral quandary.

“Thanks, babe!  This is a really awesome guitar, and whenever I play it I’ll remember all the good times from our former relationship.”

And that's how Jimmyjazz would have become a story in the "Do you know anyone who has been murdered?" thread.

• Haha 2

I went to the Austin Guitar Show back in the early 90's with my girlfriend at the time.  The thing was, I was planning to break up with her that night.  In the meantime, I started drooling over some Strat at the show, early-to-mid 70's, which had a price tag of ~ $3,000.
Said girlfriend disappeared for a bit, and I went hunting for her.  Found her at that booth haggling with the owner over the price.  She wanted to buy me the guitar.  I was apoplectic -- I couldn't break up with her if she bought me the guitar, but man, I really wanted that thing, much more than I wanted her.  I talked her down and did the breakup thing a few hours later.
I still wonder how long I would have had to keep dating her in order to not feel guilty about accepting the guitar.  Sometimes I'm a real dumbass.

I have a similar story about a girlfriend and a NHL hockey jersey. Your story is cooler.
  • Hook 'Em 1

$7k for an '81 San Dimas Charvel with a poor looking refinish. Kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on one of these when they were all over ebay at around $2k 10 or 15 years ago. The only era since the 50's where innovation isn't/wasn't frowned on by the general guitar consciousness.

Charvel San Dimas w/ '79 Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Pickup 1981 Silver https://reverb.com/item/39376108-charvel-san-dimas-w-79-seymour-duncan-custom-shop-pickup-1981-silver?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=39376108729f7a9a240c55cc7893507311042cd7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1aeefdc7a4d6f9ed4c49e9adcea24094.jpg
String of Strats. There was a 1959 Sherwood Green one (it’s in one of the booths against the far right wall as you go in for those headed to the show). That’s a super rare color and I guess I was so stupefied to see it I forgot to snap a pic.

07df3a8188f9bb20c9a6bf8357d28965.jpg

Trail of Teles
ff7b0c8a4694042318c97688425f6343.jpg

974876d3f32a86cef26939d329b4e3d8.jpg
This one I think I post every year just because it’s cool.

• Hook 'Em 3

I was waffling, but I am totally going tomorrow. Thanks for the pics Mr. Fuck. 

It’s a fun way to spend a couple hours. Well worth the price of admission just to check everything out. My friend’s son wound up taking home a couple of vintage Ludwig drums.

I didn't realize until the other day that Buck Owens could actually play worth a shit. On TV he always looked like a total faker. The music store guys used  to say he could barely pay three chords. Turns out he was actually pretty good.

Thanks for those pics.  I’m not a bass player, but that lineup was pretty amazing.  

That’s just part of it too. Gotta say there were about 1/3 fewer booths than 2 years ago but it was still a great show.

And I haven’t mentioned the performers. I really enjoyed seeing the kids from School of Rock playing. For some reason, seeing those kids nail the harmonies on “California Dreaming” was much more satisfying to me than watching whoever the guitar slinger of the moment was playing their perfect stuff perfectly inside.
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

That’s just part of it too. Gotta say there were about 1/3 fewer booths than 2 years ago but it was still a great show.

And I haven’t mentioned the performers. I really enjoyed seeing the kids from School of Rock playing. For some reason, seeing those kids nail the harmonies on “California Dreaming” was much more satisfying to me than watching whoever the guitar slinger of the moment was playing their perfect stuff perfectly inside.

Another thanks for the pics!

What were some of the lower priced guitars you saw there? I saw a couple of 70s Strats in the $4k range in your pics. Was that pretty much the lower end or did you see anything in the $2k-$4k range?

And do you know if the 58, 59 and 60 bursts were for sale? I noticed they didn’t have prices on them.

Man, those Tele Customs make my heart race.

Also, were there amps for sale too or just guitars?

Edited by Foggy Notion
  • Like 1

Another thanks for the pics!
What were some of the lower priced guitars you saw there? I saw a couple of 70s Strats in the $4k range in your pics. Was that pretty much the lower end or did you see anything in the $2k-$4k range?
And do you know if the 58, 59 and 60 bursts were for sale? I noticed they didn’t have prices on them.
Man, those Tele Customs make my heart race.
Also, were there amps for sale too or just guitars?

There was plenty in the $2-4k range I just tend to take pics of the most exotic and high priced stuff. There was a guy with a whole set up of reasonably priced recent bursts that I didn’t take a pic of but thought I had.

The 58/9/60 bursts were not for sale. They were at the Jimmy Wallace booth just for show. You had to walk deep into the display - past all the more moderately priced but super cool guitars - to see them.

There were a lot of amps, I just didn’t take many pics of them. There were definitely fewer amps than guitars though. I think just the weight/space they take up tends to limit the number you see somewhat.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, topochico said:

Chad hit most of the eye (wallet) popping hits yesterday. I always enjoy some of the oddities. 
IMG_4734.thumb.jpeg.7bc3715bbc14f1b5aac5a0575d399f76.jpegIMG_4732.thumb.jpeg.d21769557f4ea793e3b5bf19833f424c.jpeg

The Moderne is cool. But I think I would like it better reversed the other way, probably would be more balanced that way.

17 hours ago, topochico said:

I went looking for something Fender shaped and pastel. Alas, I was denied.

I did find a Souldier strap that is apparently a new design that will be hitting their website soon. 

IMG_4738.jpeg

Was there anything under $1,500?

I was thinking about going just to look at guitars priced $300 to $1,000, but then I got the feeling that those guitars weren't even there.

I would also be interested in seeing a Rickenbacker, especially if I could just hold the neck. (I know that these guitars don't all into the aforementioned price category.)

10 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I was thinking about going just to look at guitars priced $300 to $1,000, but then I got the feeling that those guitars weren't even there.

I would also be interested in seeing a Rickenbacker, especially if I could just hold the neck. (I know that these guitars don't all into the aforementioned price category.)

There was a good amount in the $300-1000 range.  Chad and I posted some of the over the top stuff, but there were a lot of dealers with normal and fun stock at lower prices. I took a hard look at a few Kramer and Yamaha basses from the 80's in the 400-800 range. It's Sunday, go make a deal. No one wants to load up and haul all that stuff back home. 

Several Rics were there if you just want to get a feel for them in person. 

Edited by topochico
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, topochico said:

There was a good amount in the $300-1000 range.  Chad and I posted some of the over the top stuff, but there were a lot of dealers with normal and fun stock at lower prices. I took a hard look at a few Kramer and Yamaha basses from the 80's in the 400-800 range. It's Sunday, go make a deal. No one wants to load up and haul all that stuff back home. 

Several Rics were there if you just want to get a feel for them in person. 

Thanks for the response. I had decided to blow it off, but now I'll go ahead and go today.

I won't be buying a guitar, but it will be cool to see different guitars that are obtainable.

There were some of those guitars there for sure but not that many. They aren’t cost effective to bring. However, you are much more likely to get a deal on Sunday when these guys are thinking “do I want to pack this up and bring it home or take a smaller margin?” Take cash.

No Rics in that range though.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

...No Rics in that range though.

I'm not sure that I've seen a Ric in person that wasn't strapped over a professional's shoulder on a stage.

I just want to see one that I can get a feel for the scale of and that I can possibly hold.

Not expecting a unicorn that also can be had with a credit card rather than unmarked bills.

58 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I'm not sure that I've seen a Ric in person that wasn't strapped over a professional's shoulder on a stage.

I just want to see one that I can get a feel for the scale of and that I can possibly hold.

Not expecting a unicorn that also can be had with a credit card rather than unmarked bills.

I just got a black jet glow. I absolutely love it. I spent 2k on it. Took a few months too make and ship. I didn’t want to do it because I wanted to hold out for a Gibson 335 but I am SO GLAD I did it and added it to my collection

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

I just got a black jet glow. I absolutely love it. I spent 2k on it. Took a few months too make and ship. I didn’t want to do it because I wanted to hold out for a Gibson 335 but I am SO GLAD I did it and added it to my collection

I’m light years from that. I would like to have 2-3 decent electrics + a portable beater and then one decent acoustic and an acoustic beater. 

I have a handful of lower end guitars that I would like to get rid of at the moment and I just need to practice daily so that at some point, I can have be okay to invite over for songs in a backyard with a friend or two. That’s the goal’s ceiling at the moment. 👍

I’m light years from that. I would like to have 2-3 decent electrics + a portable beater and then one decent acoustic and an acoustic beater. 
I have a handful of lower end guitars that I would like to get rid of at the moment and I just need to practice daily so that at some point, I can have be okay to invite over for songs in a backyard with a friend or two. That’s the goal’s ceiling at the moment.

I’d say just go. At the very least you’ll find it entertaining and educational. Perhaps a bit inspiring.

On 5/1/2021 at 2:55 PM, topochico said:

I went looking for something Fender shaped and pastel. Alas, I was denied.

I did find a Souldier strap that is apparently a new design that will be hitting their website soon. 

IMG_4738.jpeg

Cool strap. I was checking out their website after I ordered a strap that bought my eye in an ad from Chicago Music. Tag says it is one of theirs, will definitely be getting more. Still trying to find the right strap for some of my guitars but this one exists for the tele

AADA0197-3B9A-4889-B208-ACBA2D0E6A89.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3