The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

13 minutes ago, DougO said:

If that Players Tele had a brass barrel bridge on it, either traditional or compensated, I'd probably talk myself into it.

Brass barrel bridges are overrated.  But they're also not a terribly expensive mod.

How's that for talking yourself into it?

On 6/8/2021 at 8:14 AM, noharleyyet said:

Thanks Topo, I should add that Wildwood answered every question (and I had many), set it up just right, shipping was fast w/no kinks or damage. Closed the deal last Tuesday, shipped Thursday, arrived Monday. 

Got my 52 AV from WW.  They do it right.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Took a new job a while back, and have been in the office the last few weeks, so I've been driving around exploring a bit at lunch. Today, I saw a guitar shop I'm really excited to go check out. I had to get back for a meeting, so I didn't have time today, but Tone Shop Guitars in Addison. I love finding local guitar shops to check out, and this one looks like they've got some good stuff judging by their site at least. 

• Hook 'Em 2

So in the truly, "WTF?  Why?" category:

gczfvtzm0elpz3v4byoa.jpg

This is a special guitar, a 1955 Gibson ES175 that basically has the same body as a Gibson's ES-295, and has been converted by Marty Bell into an ES295 12 string, with Gold Sparkle finish, equipped with P90 pickups, with matching white dog ear covers. A fantastic 12-string based on a guitar from 1955. Obviously with the necessary changes, including the head converted to a slotted head, the body being extra reinforced to withstand the pressure of 12 strings. 

https://reverb.com/item/34072087-gibson-1955-es175-conversion-es295-12-string-marty-bell-sparkle-gold

• Haha 1

So in the truly, "WTF?  Why?" category:
gczfvtzm0elpz3v4byoa.jpg
This is a special guitar, a 1955 Gibson ES175 that basically has the same body as a Gibson's ES-295, and has been converted by Marty Bell into an ES295 12 string, with Gold Sparkle finish, equipped with P90 pickups, with matching white dog ear covers. A fantastic 12-string based on a guitar from 1955. Obviously with the necessary changes, including the head converted to a slotted head, the body being extra reinforced to withstand the pressure of 12 strings. 
https://reverb.com/item/34072087-gibson-1955-es175-conversion-es295-12-string-marty-bell-sparkle-gold

That led me down a reverb rabbit hole to this:

https://reverb.com/news/back-to-back-to-future-marty-mcflys-other-guitar

Made in Austin.

Was looking at King Crimson tickets, which led me to look at their current lineup, which led me to see Tony Levine’s still on bass for them, which led me down a Tony Levine rabbit hole which led me to Tony Levine playing the Chapman Dick, er... Stick. What a weird contraption.  6 bass strings, 6 guitar strings, one neck and a whole lot of tapping going on.  It’s been around since the 70s but was new to me.  I can’t imagine trying to grok chord and scale shapes and patterns across that fretboard.

Chapman_Sticks.jpg

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

Was looking at King Crimson tickets, which led me to look at their current lineup, which led me to see Tony Levine’s still on bass for them, which led me down a Tony Levine rabbit hole which led me to Tony Levine playing the Chapman Dick, er... Stick. What a weird contraption.  6 bass strings, 6 guitar strings, one neck and a whole lot of tapping going on.  It’s been around since the 70s but was new to me.  I can’t imagine trying to grok chord and scale shapes and patterns across that fretboard.

Chapman_Sticks.jpg

^^^^^youtube savant thread 

• Hook 'Em 1

*Levin.

There was a band out of Dallas ~ 1985-95 called Ten Hands, and the bassist played a Chapman stick.  They mostly met in the North Texas (State) jazz program, and played like it.  Monsters.  There was kind of a funny Zappa vibe to their music, at least lyrically, but they were much funkier and less experimental.  Really hooky songs.

Here's a terrible video that at least gets the sound sorta right.  I'm not sure if Earl Harvin is still on drums, he was with the band for several years before moving on to Billy Goat and his own jazz trio.  Eventually he ended up playing with megastars like Seal, Pet Shop Boys, Jeff Beck, etc.  Like I said, they were monster players.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

*Levin.

There was a band out of Dallas ~ 1985-95 called Ten Hands, and the bassist played a Chapman stick.  They mostly met in the North Texas (State) jazz program, and played like it.  Monsters.  There was kind of a funny Zappa vibe to their music, at least lyrically, but they were much funkier and less experimental.  Really hooky songs.

Here's a terrible video that at least gets the sound sorta right.  I'm not sure if Earl Harvin is still on drums, he was with the band for several years before moving on to Billy Goat and his own jazz trio.  Eventually he ended up playing with megastars like Seal, Pet Shop Boys, Jeff Beck, etc.  Like I said, they were monster players.

I like that kind of vampy space-rock vibe they have going on.  Not sure I can ascertain what is the stick in that mix, but cool.

44 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

*Levin.

I was in Denton 90-92 an a couple summers in between there.  These guys were big on the scene at the time.  Always a steady draw.

• Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Friend of mine who was a Dallas native took me to see them in Houston in the early 90's.  Fantastic bar band.  

Yeah, the were a little like The Neville Brothers in the sense that they were incredible live, but recordings never quite captured that spirit.  (Not that they sounded anything like The Neville Brothers.)

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Goredho said:

Chapman_Sticks.jpg

I have a buddy who's a wizard on one of those. He's a bass prodigy as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

I like the vibe of that 10 Hands band. A Chapman stick seems like overkill, but I do like how ergonomic it seems, much more efficient and comfortable looking regularass bass.

I saw a band in Dallas with a guy using one of those once back in the Bronco Bowl opening for King's X. I think it was called the John Inman Experiment or some such thing, a EJ/Timmons kind of wannabe that seemed OK, but sloppy. They were kinda cool. I gave him some photos for his album art. Maybe it's the same bass/stick player, but I don't remember what he looked like.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/11/2021 at 11:33 AM, Goredho said:

It’s next week, so I bought a new Eastman acoustic to fill that void for recording and to give Deej a conniption 😜.   Looks, plays and sounds great, both acoustically and with DI using the LR Baggs element pickup it came with.  Really, really happy with this.

41914-FD0-64-CA-481-D-A87-F-B394-DD9-B9-

2099-DC59-C1-DA-496-B-96-CC-B8-AB72734-E

5-C5354-D4-4-F7-B-421-A-86-BD-61-C11-C39

Edit: Pics quit loading, so direct attachments...
unnamed-6.thumb.jpg.fd9f7194b93ce83b3cf820a4d6017555.jpg

unnamed-3.thumb.jpg.c228e638813bb42e146226ddf0b4af2d.jpg

unnamed-4.thumb.jpg.9d2b28cc4f439c866ab6ea117ae10ff0.jpg

Congratulations on the guitar. Eastmans are great guitars for their price range.

I bought an Eastman AC312CE as a Christmas gift to myself many years ago. [hipster] You probably hadn’t heard of it at the time [/hipster]. Light, good action out of the case, and had the highs I was looking for without sacrifice the bottom end (I like the scooped sound when it comes to acoustics).

One of my friends who LOVES acoustics (had owned multiple Taylors, a Gibson Hummingbird and a few Collings) played it and sold everything to get a few Eastmans.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 Hands and About 9 Times were two GREAT bands from that time frame.   Very unique sound by both bands.  

I think I might have known a couple of the people in About 9 Times, if it’s the band I’m thinking of. Do you have a list of their names? Buddy of mine was a drummer and his girlfriend Jenny (I think) was the singer in their band. Think it might be these guys...

3d7b2f627d7068c930536b63839ecc02.jpg
Need help with a new strap for my Telecaster. I hate the one seen here because it gets twisted and ain’t nobody got time. Amazon purchase.

I like Couch straps, but what do you all think?

Couches are good. I’m a fan of Souldier. About to try the European one that keeps popping up in my fb feed.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, tigol said:

3d7b2f627d7068c930536b63839ecc02.jpg
Need help with a new strap for my Telecaster. I hate the one seen here because it gets twisted and ain’t nobody got time. Amazon purchase.

I like Couch straps, but what do you all think?

I like Couch designs, but the vinyl backing can be slippery of you have a guitar prone to neck dive. No slipping with Souldier. 

Another option: DogTired. They are made out of the same material that Century makes martial arts belts. Flexible but strong and no neck dive. 

https://dogtiredguitars.com/collections/straps-1

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I like Couch designs, but the vinyl backing can be slippery of you have a guitar prone to neck dive. No slipping with Souldier. 
Another option: DogTired. They are made out of the same material that Century makes martial arts belts. Flexible but strong and no neck dive. 

https://dogtiredguitars.com/collections/straps-1

That’s a great point. The vinyl of the couch can be a bit sticky on hot days as well. The seat belt material backed Souldier does not have this problem.