The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

20 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Some things I have a hard time getting past.

"The Dog Tired Premium guitar strap is hand-made in Oklahoma......."

Does it help to envision it as an un-air conditioned sweatshop with meth addicted workers toiling furiously away for their next fix?

• Haha 1

Actually, those Dog Tired straps kind of use the same theory I had years ago as far as the material they use.  My dad made a lot of his own tack and he made me a guitar strap that started with a saddle girth sort of like below (without the hardware in the middle).   Our problem was we used hardware that was too big. This was heavy and too wide to be practical.   This cotton part was over my shoulder and he tooled two leather straps to hook from the hardware to the guitar.  He made a narrower girth with smaller hardware but I don't know whatever happened to either of them. 

Cotton_Rope_Girth_480x.png?v=1551393328

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Actually, those Dog Tired straps kind of use the same theory I had years ago as far as the material they use.  My dad made a lot of his own tack and he made me a guitar strap that started with a saddle girth sort of like below (without the hardware in the middle).   Our problem was we used hardware that was too big. This was heavy and too wide to be practical.   This cotton part was over my shoulder and he tooled two leather straps to hook from the hardware to the guitar.  He made a narrower girth with smaller hardware but I don't know whatever happened to either of them. 

Cotton_Rope_Girth_480x.png?v=1551393328

My dad had one just like this in the 70s, except the string was this mustardy yellow color that probably originated in that decade and would do well to just stay there.  It's still around somewhere.  If I find it some day I'll post pics.  I tried to use it as a skinny young jr. high kid and it just slid right off me.  My shoulders just weren't broad enough.  

• Hook 'Em 1

well, I've come to terms that I don't play electric. I have a 2012 American Tele Standard that is brand new (still has the stickers on it) with a fender amp. I'm not certain on the amp, but I think it is a maverick with all kinds of feaux pedal effects if memory serves. I want to sell them both and get a new acoustic. Today, my player is a 2000 Tak G series that is great, and I'll never sell it, but I can do better. What say you? do I keep the fender because I should never sell a guitar, or do I sell it to bump my budget for a new acoustic up a grand? pickup is not important because I only play in my office/back porch... I want something special, but don't think I can justify spending $4 or $5K. 6 year old daughter will likely inherit my collection, but she is currently very early in learning on a 3 string guitar. 

Just now, JSB said:

well, I've come to terms that I don't play electric. I have a 2012 American Tele Standard that is brand new (still has the stickers on it) with a fender amp. I'm not certain on the amp, but I think it is a maverick with all kinds of feaux pedal effects if memory serves. I want to sell them both and get a new acoustic. Today, my player is a 2000 Tak G series that is great, and I'll never sell it, but I can do better. What say you? do I keep the fender because I should never sell a guitar, or do I sell it to bump my budget for a new acoustic up a grand? pickup is not important because I only play in my office/back porch... I want something special, but don't think I can justify spending $4 or $5K. 6 year old daughter will likely inherit my collection, but she is currently very early in learning on a 3 string guitar. 

Help me spend my money

Post pics of tele....     I found out I wasn't a Les Paul player and fretted over selling that beauty for a LONG time.   I ended up trading it for a really old guitar and in 6 months, I played my 'new' one more than the 4 years I had the Les Paul.    Then, go spend a shit ton on a great acoustic.  And don't put your faith in your kids ever picking it up.  I tried and neither kid showed any long-term interest in music. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Post pics of tele....     I found out I wasn't a Les Paul player and fretted over selling that beauty for a LONG time.   I ended up trading it for a really old guitar and in 6 months, I played my 'new' one more than the 4 years I had the Les Paul.    Then, go spend a shit ton on a great acoustic.  And don't put your faith in your kids ever picking it up.  I tried and neither kid showed any long-term interest in music. 

All of this is great advice.  Especially the bit about the pics. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JSB said:

Your Maverick amp sounds like a Fender Mustang, possibly. I bought a small one a while back because it was a minty and dirt cheap pawn shop find. It sounded really good for a small practice amp, but I turned it around for profit since I already had too many small amps I don't play with.

My daughter tells me she can’t wait to sell my guitars when I die.

Here’s how I buy acoustics: go to the best store in your area, make sure you have some time to spend, find a good sales person, and have them start bringing you guitars in your budget and slightly above. If one speaks to you, you will know it. That’s the one to buy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I've been trying to crawl out of a depressed state where I'm not playing guitar at all. I picked it up a few times lately, but not for long, better than nothing. I think I need some backing tracks to play to or something. I have a drum machine but never felt like fecking with it, bad on me.

Do y'all have anything like that you play along with just to try to get in a groove?

18 minutes ago, DougO said:

I've been trying to crawl out of a depressed state where I'm not playing guitar at all. I picked it up a few times lately, but not for long, better than nothing. I think I need some backing tracks to play to or something. I have a drum machine but never felt like fecking with it, bad on me.

Do y'all have anything like that you play along with just to try to get in a groove?

Slumps are no joke.  For backing tracks, I would love to recommend guitarbackingtracks.com, but it recently died.  You can find a ton on both YouTube and Spotify, though.  Shit like "Slow Blues in A" or whatever.

If you are open to lessons and can afford it, get some.  This guy is who I take lessons from every other week over Zoom.  Beyond being a badass guitarist, he's a really gifted teacher who will get you out of your comfort zone and thinking about guitar differently.  He's in England at the moment, though, so arranging timing can be a challenge.  There's no shortage of qualified guitar instructors willing to teach over zoom.

If lessons aren't an option, try picking a song to learn completely outside of your comfort zone.  Like if you normally gravitate to 70s classic rock, pick a bluegrass tune and focus on learning to play it.  I often find the exercise of learning something completely outside of my wheelhouse gives me a creative spark or some inspiration to do something new and interesting (at least to me) with the guitar.

Now that shit's opening up, you can probably find people to just jam around with for no reason in particular.  Playing with others always led to some musical growth for me.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DougO said:

Your Maverick amp sounds like a Fender Mustang, possibly. I bought a small one a while back because it was a minty and dirt cheap pawn shop find. It sounded really good for a small practice amp, but I turned it around for profit since I already had too many small amps I don't play with.

It is a Fender Mustang 1 now that I'm home.

2 hours ago, JSB said:

Sell it. Get something bad ass. Post pics.

• Like 1

Functionally the Ernie Ball stairs are perfect for me. That said, I like woven straps that have some personality. And post a picture of you get something interesting because as I mentioned I’m still looking for the right strap for my sunburst strat. I have some “Ace” straps that I think are by Dunlap or something - there are a few of those that I like. The one on my ooo15m is probably permanent.

i have a strap that I got at some guitar shop within walking distance of Washington Square Park that I think is some lady who makes straps. It’s nicer than the ace ones and is comparable to the couch and souldier ones. I have it on my Les Paul.  I have a couch strap and a souldier strap, I’ll probably look more at souldier straps because I find it to be less slippery than the couch one. Souldier one is on my tele from the earlier pictures.

It’s like socks for guitars. Interesting socks are probably kinda fucked out and lame not that doesn’t stop me from buying socks with animals on them.

5D51B17E-AE51-480D-ABCC-54AEBB531DCA.jpeg

3FD28874-819E-4C46-8DDC-3298771C6835.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Drool 1

So, I just had a bit of a windfall.  I'm not as serious as all you other cats (I'm the guy with the mint-condition 1st Gen Peavey) but fuck it, I'm buying a new acoustic.   I bought my first guitar at the "Folk Music Shop" in Claremont CA, so  I think I'm going back.  BTW, Ben Folds owns that shop...it's been in his family for years. 

$2500 budget for an acoustic; what do you assholes recommend?

30 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

So, I just had a bit of a windfall.  I'm not as serious as all you other cats (I'm the guy with the mint-condition 1st Gen Peavey) but fuck it, I'm buying a new acoustic.   I bought my first guitar at the "Folk Music Shop" in Claremont CA, so  I think I'm going back.  BTW, Ben Folds owns that shop...it's been in his family for years. 

Can you play well enough to know what you want? I’d play a bunch and settle on a size and shape. But say you’re looking at a dreadnought, I’d be sure to include a Gibson J45 and a Martin HD-28 in the list. Try a mahogany backed Martin as well - D-18. For a smaller buddy, I’d try a Martin OOO-18 or something else OOO. Maybe check out a Gibson Jumbo but dang the SJ-200s are pricey. Should probably look at Taylor too.

But for me, classic American steel string acoustic, unless the J45 calls you you want the D-18 or the HD-28.

• Like 1

Functionally the Ernie Ball stairs are perfect for me. That said, I like woven straps that have some personality. And post a picture of you get something interesting because as I mentioned I’m still looking for the right strap for my sunburst strat. I have some “Ace” straps that I think are by Dunlap or something - there are a few of those that I like. The one on my ooo15m is probably permanent.

i have a strap that I got at some guitar shop within walking distance of Washington Square Park that I think is some lady who makes straps. It’s nicer than the ace ones and is comparable to the couch and souldier ones. I have it on my Les Paul.  I have a couch strap and a souldier strap, I’ll probably look more at souldier straps because I find it to be less slippery than the couch one. Souldier one is on my tele from the earlier pictures.

It’s like socks for guitars. Interesting socks are probably kinda fucked out and lame not that doesn’t stop me from buying socks with animals on them.

5D51B17E-AE51-480D-ABCC-54AEBB531DCA.thumb.jpeg.bdc27d2ddc5e500a6919aad70e2098de.jpeg
3FD28874-819E-4C46-8DDC-3298771C6835.thumb.jpeg.239cb4c0a46a632f7ccf162db13b795d.jpeg

I will never get tired of you posting pics of these guitars. Especially that LP. Hhhhnnnnggg.

Go play as many as you can stand. Lots of Martins, Taylors, Gibsons and the like. When you find one that fits your hands right and tickles your ears just so, buy it. Don’t be in a hurry. Nothing worse than getting home and discovering you have almost what you wanted. Don’t shy away from used. They may already be broken in. Or just more guitar for the buck.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Celery Man said:

5D51B17E-AE51-480D-ABCC-54AEBB531DCA.jpeg

3FD28874-819E-4C46-8DDC-3298771C6835.jpeg

I LOVE the way that Martin has aged with playing.  And that strap is perfect on the LP.  What a beauty.  

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Guessing you mean Ben Harper rather than Folds. 

I would probably start with a Martin D-18 as your benchmark and then try a bunch of other stuff and see how it compares.  

if you average out my martins, I basically have a d-18. But I should have a d-18. I also need to play a d-35 one of these days.

man i could have sworn Ben Harper was in "The Bens", but that just harkens back to a simpler time when you'd download a song from kazaa and believe what your buddy told you without thinking too much about it

Go play as many as you can stand. Lots of Martins, Taylors, Gibsons and the like. When you find one that fits your hands right and tickles your ears just so, buy it. Don’t be in a hurry. Nothing worse than getting home and discovering you have almost what you wanted. Don’t shy away from used. They may already be broken in. Or just more guitar for the buck.

Good lord this is good advice. Letting a guitar get away because you were hung up on getting a certain brand or whatever will haunt you for a long time. Go to a store that knows what they are doing. There are a lot of lesser known makers of fantastic guitars.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yep, find a shop with a wide variety of brands, play a lot and don't forget to ask if the owner/salespeople feel like there are any special acoustics there in whatever body style you are after (dreadnought, orchestra, whatever).  If you are in the Austin area or can make the trip, I've found Steve Fulton, the owner at Austin Vintage Guitars, is particularly good at pointing me towards a couple of instruments that will be a cut above the rest when I play them.  AVG has a decent selection of mid-high end acoustics from the brands being kicked around here.

• Like 1

Gretsch 6120N - Clear Lake Guitar Center, went to buy either tubes or strings during a recording session

Gretsch Duo Jet - South Austin Music - helping a friend guitar shop and he bought the wrong guitar

Les Paul - South Austin Music - strings

Martin D41 - Hill Country Music (“downtown” location) - I had bought an HD28 (on purpose) and went back in to have my old DM fixed and they knew I was a mark with an office nearby so they brought it out for me to look at. A week later I returned.

Gibson J45 - Anderson guitar center, string shopping but it was near my birthday

Ooh, Mike Dirnt P Bass - I honestly don’t remember but that was an accident

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Don't limit yourself to those brands either. Just play until you find one that sings to you.

I regret the day I walked away from a $600 Takamine. It played and sounded so sweet. My Eastman is a great guitar, but 10 years later I'm still thinking of that Takamine.

Well damn it. I now have my eyes on a Gibson custom shop. They are asking $3K it has a crappy electric system but I’m not really going to plug it in. It’s an Everly Brothers edition. I want to know if you guys think it is a decent deal or not.

cb667312a2d52b589725aba2b175deef.jpg
a57c5640fe9c7d86502c15805f5939ed.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, JSB said:

Or a used custom hummingbird Koa which has been repaired for a crack on the body for $2,500

Man, I try and stay away from repaired guitars.  Too many out there for a decent price that don't have that baggage.  YMMV.

That Everly brothers is pretty cool.  I find the bigger the pick guard, the more muffled the tone though.  Once again, you may not care.  

What do you want to do?

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

Man, I try and stay away from repaired guitars.  Too many out there for a decent price that don't have that baggage.  YMMV.

That Everly brothers is pretty cool.  I find the bigger the pick guard, the more muffled the tone though.  Once again, you may not care.  

What do you want to do?

really just sit on the back porch and play. I'm not going to gig, but I want something with a great tone, low action, and great looking. I struggle because Taylors sound amazing, but they are so boring looking. Thats why I kind of like Gibson, Alverez, Dean

1 minute ago, JSB said:

really just sit on the back porch and play. I'm not going to gig, but I want something with a great tone, low action, and great looking. I struggle because Taylors sound amazing, but they are so boring looking. Thats why I kind of like Gibson, Alverez, Dean

Low action is something you can get with $60 and a good luthier.  Don't make your choice on that and just assume you're going to have to get a set up done whatever you pick.  

What does "great looking" mean?  You like exotic woods?  Inlays?  

45 minutes ago, JSB said:

but I want something with a great tone, low action, and great looking. 

As Mr. Fuck pointed out, low action should not be an issue.

I'm the opposite of you, I don't really care what it looks like, I want tone and value.  But, it's your guitar.  Dig through the different brands on big box sites, find some examples of what you like, and then hit up the mom & pop shops.  

The single most important thing is for YOU to be in love with YOUR guitar, because then you will play it, obsessively.