The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

2 hours ago, Chips O'Toole said:

How long has the relic'ing business been going on?  I had never seen it until recently. Granted, I'm not a collector, but I don't get it at all. 

A couple of decades at least, as far as the major labels doing it. I seem to remember the first Fender "custom shop" vintaged strats somewhere in the 90s. Looked like they took a fork to them and poked them a bunch of times.

Just now, AnotherUTFan said:

Congratulations! All this Les Paul talk has had me playing my R8 the last couple days. You will be very happy, especially having a Marshall to plug it into. 515557586ca9f8b7b8e3b4024d1757f0.jpg

Thanks, I was not expecting to like an R8, but this neck is great and the guitar is extremely resonant and responsive.  I can control it sounding almost clean to raunchy as fuck with just my hands/fingers.  Played four R0s, three R9s and two R8s over the last two days and this was the best of the bunch to me.  Austin Vintage Guitars comes through again.

• Like 2

Alright, Buzzrock had a good quarter so things are happening. I’m unloading three of the four Fireflys tomorrow which will put me $400 towards something else. I’m finally going to buy a SSS Strat, which I should have done 20 years ago. My HH Strat is my #1 and I love the traditional Strat sound.

Cue the analysis paralysis. Colors, pickups, neck shapes, oh my.

• Hook 'Em 2

Don't overthink it Buzz.

Get whatever it they call the American Standard these days, they rebranded the lineup a few years ago. The only decision is color and maple vs rosewood fingerboard. All personal preference. That guitar will sound great and hold its value for years.

For amps, there are so many on the market that its overwhelming. Don't try to get the one that covers everything - you'll spend all you tine chasing it around. Think of the basic sound your after and see what kind of amps are popular with the bands that make / made that sound. Then get a basic one along those lines in a size that will let you turn the volume knob up past 3 in the setting where you play. Nothing worse than neutering a good amp by having to set the volume at 1 or 2.

Look onto and buy what you want, but don't make it hard.

I've got guitars of all the kinds and amp of all typea and sizes. I find that no matter what I have plugged into what, I always sound like me and am usually able to dial in something close to whatever I'm after using the available tone / gain knobs.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Don't overthink it Buzz.

Get whatever it they call the American Standard these days, they rebranded the lineup a few years ago. The only decision is color and maple vs rosewood fingerboard. All personal preference. That guitar will sound great and hold its value for years.

Also consider whatever G&L version competes at that price.  My G&L Tele cost less than my Fender AmStd Tele did and it's a better guitar.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

Thanks, the amp isn't mine, its my brother's.  He's basically a guy in his early 60s who lived frugally, raised his family, got them educated, got divorced along the way and now has a pile of cash in his later years that he isn't going to spend in his lifetime, so he's having fun with it now collecting gear.  This should probably be in the amp thread, but fuck it.  Here's his living room:

unnamed-1.thumb.jpg.f0c93f39f0f9b8a3e0ca61db42366d9a.jpg

He likes to run stereo rigs, with his signal split and going to two amps, often with some delay between them.  This is one of his rigs, a Metropolus Super-Plex and DVL-1 with a Gibson G0 for flair.  Its his most vintage rig.

unnamed-2.thumb.jpg.6032488f3a8e8cbaf8461cd00456c6dc.jpg

His big Mesa/Boogie rig with a Mark V and some John Petrucci signature thing.

unnamed-3.thumb.jpg.ed2afb00a522d6b659a386acb1bb8a71.jpg

unnamed-4.thumb.jpg.0d24f3231f8901f49767527415b062ae.jpg

His modern metal rig, a Diezel VH4 and Marshall DSL100

unnamed-5.thumb.jpg.da11d7c3c27e9dda71a984b5bc89d5f7.jpg

An orange rig he likes.

unnamed-6.thumb.jpg.c986862fb609bf9d8bf5d0f5307b6c3d.jpg

His Mesa/Boogie Mini-rectifier rig.  This is what is a practice amp to him.
unnamed-8.thumb.jpg.2d2b147a3a1ed89700e150d39daadb05.jpg

And he has a Vox AC30 head and cab that he isn't playing much.
unnamed-7.thumb.jpg.c7ac56bafa83b108fe31aa030cb81ea5.jpg

He's got a shit ton of guitars, I'll see if I can bust them all out for a picture later to make this thread appropriate.

You seem like good people…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

So....your real name is Goredho Bonamassa

No, I’m Bob Bonamassa, Joe’s talentless little brother that withered in Joe’s shadow and now sleeps on the sofa and dusts the amps for a small salary 😜

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Reasonable consolation prize for the no show flakes. I have a few G&L products. Quality is on par with Fender, but you will take a beating in resale value if you sell later on. Used US G&L is the sweet spot for value. But agree with the comments above about a US Fender. Pick your color and maple vs rosewood and don’t look back. 

I’m willing to spend a little money to get what I want. Jimi was the first guitarist who spoke to me, and I became a big SRV fan. Gilmour is a genius and fascinates me completely. Clapton. Mayer. Iron Maiden. Beck. Knopfler. Frusciante. Buddy Guy. Rodgers. The Stratocaster Mt Rushmore would have to span multiple states.

Pretty sure I’m in the minority but I like the relic’d stuff plus I don’t have to worry about dinging it. That’s where my eye is wandering currently.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I definitely agree that there's no need to overthink things.  You've been given some good brands to consider, but beyond that, finish and fretboard should probably dominate.

That is, assuming you're actually going to get true single coil pickups.  If you're considering some of that "Lace Sensor" bullshit (or whatever they call it these days), don't do that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 7:12 PM, Buzzrock said:

Alright, Buzzrock had a good quarter so things are happening. I’m unloading three of the four Fireflys tomorrow which will put me $400 towards something else. I’m finally going to buy a SSS Strat, which I should have done 20 years ago. My HH Strat is my #1 and I love the traditional Strat sound.

Cue the analysis paralysis. Colors, pickups, neck shapes, oh my.

Righteous?  

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

They pretty much only sell high-end Custom Shop stuff, and I’m probably not going there. But they do have this little guy:

https://righteousguitars.com/collections/fender-1/products/american-ultra-stratocaster-express-shipping-f-253-serial-us20007671

Like that color with the dark board.

TIL:

Fender doesn’t produce a Standard Strat any more. The American range starts with the Performer (which has the big headstock that I actually kind of like) which, depending on who you listen to, is a killer deal or just a more expensive MIM Strat. Up from that is the Professional II which is basically the Standard now. After that you get into the Originals (re-issues) and the Ultras like the one I linked. The Ultras are very nice but some say they are not very “Stratty”.

There’s no real option for a relic’d or road-worn USA Strat until you get to Custom Shop level. That’s where all the cool finishes are, like the transparent white-blonde that I’m a fan of. At that point you’re talking about $3K and up.

Gonna look into some smaller brands next. I know you guys said not to overthink it: too late!

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

TIL:

Fender doesn’t produce a Standard Strat any more. The American range starts with the Performer (which has the big headstock that I actually kind of like) which, depending on who you listen to, is a killer deal or just a more expensive MIM Strat. Up from that is the Professional II which is basically the Standard now. After that you get into the Originals (re-issues) and the Ultras like the one I linked. The Ultras are very nice but some say they are not very “Stratty”.

There’s no real option for a relic’d or road-worn USA Strat until you get to Custom Shop level. That’s where all the cool finishes are, like the transparent white-blonde that I’m a fan of. At that point you’re talking about $3K and up.

Gonna look into some smaller brands next. I know you guys said not to overthink it: too late!

Does the custom shop still build to spec? Get it anyway you want. 

Another option is to go Fender Mod shop. You won’t get relic or nitro finish, but you can basically pick from a ton of color options, neck shapes and finger boards (including roasted maple), PUP’s, pick guards etc. Not a full on custom shop, but design your own within a few limits. If you join Fender Play for a year ($99 I think) you get a 10% discount. 

• Like 1

Another option is to go Fender Mod shop. You won’t get relic or nitro finish, but you can basically pick from a ton of color options, neck shapes and finger boards (including roasted maple), PUP’s, pick guards etc. Not a full on custom shop, but design your own within a few limits. If you join Fender Play for a year ($99 I think) you get a 10% discount. 

This right here. I play around with that all the time.
  • Like 1

Can’t find the scratch. I’m listing it on reverb but man it fucking plays so good and the low end is like nothing I’ve ever heard. I’m in love also hand signs by Noel. Reason I’m gonna list it is because if someone offers me like 8k I’m taking that shit 4B4C9BBF-8B1E-4DF1-B8F5-6E0BFAFE3015.thumb.jpeg.d1d06d1fe3d55cb6cdf82f92b76f15e3.jpegD4CD1A15-29D5-4DF0-9C84-3B3358B62AD6.thumb.jpeg.4f3c39a863a87a3c7dcf61c2c3a62d61.jpeg644560B8-6D1E-4AD2-81FC-2B439192EB0E.thumb.jpeg.5b1375e123252910d9c90b0a815e462c.jpeg18045F6B-E3E2-4057-8FB1-13DBBE9D99E0.thumb.jpeg.0de6f9d9d2148d2308443c6b51a19d3a.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Has anyone played an Acoustasonic?

I’ve always been interested in them and they’re kind of growing on me. I see a scenario in which it could work well for my acoustic duo stuff. But $2k is a lot to risk to have a chance to plug it into my rig and see how it sounds.