The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I have a spreadsheet on an old computer somewhere with everybody who was in, and I'm surprized to learn your not on that list JJ, I think most of the regulars from this thread circa 2016-ish are.

I was at a point in my life where I had a lot of time on my hands and decided to build a Tube Screamer clone. Like everything else I do, it took on its own ridiculous life and wahlah; The Shaggy Screamer!

In my bogey-ish indecision about which kit to use, I stumbled upon a parts list and diagram for a clone. I floated the idea on the old site, yada yada, ???, I think I ended up making 18 (? they are numbered) plus a couple of one offs. It was a group collaboration on the graphics and another user, I dont know if he's gone now or has a different username since the switchover, gets the credit for doing the actual artwork as required by the enclosure manufacturer.

Of those built, I know of 2 with issues that I've promised to fix but have yet to be returned (offer is still there guys).

I don't think I have another run in me, not at this point anyway. I do have a box with most of the internal components if anybody else wants a try.

Personally, mine does what I intended. Its the Tube Screamer on my main pedal board. I haven't played a show since before the virus, but I get a tickle everytime I do get to stomp on it.

Resized_20160512_164048_1217479095751815.thumb.jpg.e2789bdeac7c7a12cec2791c050811ed.jpg

Edit- i do have that old computer and fire it up from time to time for stuff I forgot I needed in the upgrades since. I guess I should go save the graphics and whatever other info I have on building these. It was a good project that distracted me from a lot of shit i needed distracted from. Happy to share with anybody else handy with a soldering iron and in need of a good distraction.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

On 9/5/2021 at 3:41 AM, Superhero said:

Sitting here on a Saturday night / Sunday morning thinking about the TS-10 that I sold for $250 a few years ago. It was the one pedal I should have kept when I purged my pedal board and replaced it with a Boss multi-effects pedal. I traded tone for convenience. but now I want a TS in front of the pedal board. Has anyone tried the JHS Bonzai? I really just want a TS-10 (but they're selling for $500+ on Reverb, and the JHS Bonsai is "only" $239.

JHS Pedals: from mods in the attic to a leader in boutique guitar pedals

The reviews of the Bonsai are good.  I had and sold a TS10 several years ago.  Made a good profit on it and, unlike many, I don't regret it a bit.  I never thought it was particularly special sounding, the input jacks sucked, and it definitely felt more cheaply made than the old stuff or the reissues.  I've got an 83 TS and a reissue that was 808 modded my Analogman with the silver mod.  Both sound loads better than my TS10 ever did.  Why they are going for $500 is beyond me (or there are a lot of 90s Phish fans and John Mayer fans that want them.  Not that those are your reasons, but get the JHS.  It's good stuff.  Or maybe talk to Analogman Mike.  He might be able to take a reissue TS808 or TS9 and put the TS10 bits in it. 

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is the TS808 reissue a piece of crap?  Not trying to compare to AUTF's effort, just wondering what the consensus is on the standard retail model.

They're decent.  Getting one used and getting it modded to 808 specs is cost of the pedal plus $40 plus shipping.  I hear the mini TS was great out of the box.

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is the TS808 reissue a piece of crap?  Not trying to compare to AUTF's effort, just wondering what the consensus is on the standard retail model.

I hear great things about the Maxon OD808.

Close to the TS10.

Edited by Deej

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I have a spreadsheet on an old computer somewhere with everybody who was in, and I'm surprized to learn your not on that list JJ, I think most of the regulars from this thread circa 2016-ish are.

I was at a point in my life where I had a lot of time on my hands and decided to build a Tube Screamer clone. Like everything else I do, it took on its own ridiculous life and wahlah; The Shaggy Screamer!

In my bogey-ish indecision about which kit to use, I stumbled upon a parts list and diagram for a clone. I floated the idea on the old site, yada yada, ???, I think I ended up making 18 (? they are numbered) plus a couple of one offs. It was a group collaboration on the graphics and another user, I dont know if he's gone now or has a different username since the switchover, gets the credit for doing the actual artwork as required by the enclosure manufacturer.

Of those built, I know of 2 with issues that I've promised to fix but have yet to be returned (offer is still there guys).

I don't think I have another run in me, not at this point anyway. I do have a box with most of the internal components if anybody else wants a try.

Personally, mine does what I intended. Its the Tube Screamer on my main pedal board. I haven't played a show since before the virus, but I get a tickle everytime I do get to stomp on it.

Resized_20160512_164048_1217479095751815.thumb.jpg.e2789bdeac7c7a12cec2791c050811ed.jpg

Edit- i do have that old computer and fire it up from time to time for stuff I forgot I needed in the upgrades since. I guess I should go save the graphics and whatever other info I have on building these. It was a good project that distracted me from a lot of shit i needed distracted from. Happy to share with anybody else handy with a soldering iron and in need of a good distraction.

Your attention to detail is what caught my eye. And the graphics are spot on. That does not look anything like a project pedal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnotherUTFan said:

So awesome! Also I you referring to me when you say bogey-ish? Lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dcbc said:

The reviews of the Bonsai are good.  I had and sold a TS10 several years ago.  Made a good profit on it and, unlike many, I don't regret it a bit.  I never thought it was particularly special sounding, the input jacks sucked, and it definitely felt more cheaply made than the old stuff or the reissues.  I've got an 83 TS and a reissue that was 808 modded my Analogman with the silver mod.  Both sound loads better than my TS10 ever did.  Why they are going for $500 is beyond me (or there are a lot of 90s Phish fans and John Mayer fans that want them.  Not that those are your reasons, but get the JHS.  It's good stuff.  Or maybe talk to Analogman Mike.  He might be able to take a reissue TS808 or TS9 and put the TS10 bits in it. 

Yeah, I'll probably get the Bonsai towards the end of the year. Shot my wad with a home renovation and the checking account needs time to recover.

[edit] Hope this is not the beginning of a slippery slope, because I also need a tremolo that does sine waves instead of the blocky whatchamacallit waves.

Edited by Superhero
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I have #13 on the theory it would have the most mojo.

I have 14 of 15.  It stays on my board and works wonderfully.  I get more comments and questions about that than anything else.  We do a version of "Ain't No Sunshine" were I open with a really nasty sound, playing the melody through for a couple of times, then the singer comes in.  I use the SS with a little tremolo and compression.  Into my slightly dirty small Vox amp, it is about the perfect tone.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Superhero said:

Yeah, I'll probably get the Bonsai towards the end of the year. Shot my wad with a home renovation and the checking account needs time to recover.

[edit] Hope this is not the beginning of a slippery slope, because I also need a tremolo that does sine waves instead of the blocky whatchamacallit waves.

This is where being in Austin is a huge advantage... RnR has pretty much every JHS pedal for rental at like $10/ month or something.  OR do the pedal of the month club, rent 3 overdrives for $20/month to choose your favorite.

https://rocknrollrentals.com/topic/pedalofthemonthclub

• Hook 'Em 1

I need some advice.

Bought a new Jazzmaster Ultra for a steal ($1550 or so); love the way it sounds, love the neck and frets, but cannot stand the tension of the strings.

It’s strung with my normal D’Addario 10’s  that I use for all of my guitars, but it might as well be a bass guitar if you’re trying to do some bends. Bar chords really get tiresome after a bit too. The shop I bought it at did a terrible job of setting it up. My independent guy put some new strings on it and made a slight adjustment on the bridge to see if it got better and it did a little.

I have a few days left to take it back. Trying to decide if I just take the loss and trade it in, or have my tech take a stab at a full setup with new strings (maybe 9’s this time).

Question is, am I wasting my money on a lost cause or could this be my dream guitar if I just invest a little more money into it?

21 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

I need some advice.

Bought a new Jazzmaster Ultra for a steal ($1550 or so); love the way it sounds, love the neck and frets, but cannot stand the tension of the strings.

It’s strung with my normal D’Addario 10’s  that I use for all of my guitars, but it might as well be a bass guitar if you’re trying to do some bends. Bar chords really get tiresome after a bit too. The shop I bought it at did a terrible job of setting it up. My independent guy put some new strings on it and made a slight adjustment on the bridge to see if it got better and it did a little.

I have a few days left to take it back. Trying to decide if I just take the loss and trade it in, or have my tech take a stab at a full setup with new strings (maybe 9’s this time).

Question is, am I wasting my money on a lost cause or could this be my dream guitar if I just invest a little more money into it?

Could you live with keeping it tuned down to D or strung with 9’s?

59 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

Yeah I can live with 9’s.

Something is off with your setup if you have really high string tension with 10s on a Jazzmaster. A common complaint about the Jazzmaster is that the break angle at the bridge is too low resulting in low string tension. Some guys put 11s on them to increase the string tension. The other fix is to shim the neck and raise the bridge which increases the break angle of the strings at the bridge. You see that a lot on the older Jazzmasters. Most newer Jazzmasters have the neck pocket cut at a slightly different angle so a shim isn’t needed.

You’re experiencing the opposite problem which doesn’t usually happen. How high is the bridge set on yours?

Edited by Foggy Notion
  • Hook 'Em 1

Report from the front:  my buddy grabbed one of these for $590 (regularly $800) on a Guitar Center sale last week.  I got to play it last night.  I'm telling you, I'd say it's almost indistinguishable from my old early 90's American Standard Telecaster in terms of fit and finish.  The neck is glorious and the body is beautiful.  It sounds amazing.  Color me impressed, Fender.

image.thumb.png.26d33c2413d72a33d454a47e34f550f4.png

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Report from the front:  my buddy grabbed one of these for $590 (regularly $800) on a Guitar Center sale last week.  I got to play it last night.  I'm telling you, I'd say it's almost indistinguishable from my old early 90's American Standard Telecaster in terms of fit and finish.  The neck is glorious and the body is beautiful.  It sounds amazing.  Color me impressed, Fender.

image.thumb.png.26d33c2413d72a33d454a47e34f550f4.png

Too many pickguard screws and too many saddles. (I kid, kinda.)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Foggy Notion said:

Something is off with your setup if you have really high string tension with 10s on a Jazzmaster. A common complaint about the Jazzmaster is that the break angle at the bridge is too low resulting in low string tension. Some guys put 11s on them to increase the string tension. The other fix is to shim the neck and raise the bridge which increases the break angle of the strings at the bridge. You see that a lot on the older Jazzmasters. Most newer Jazzmasters have the neck pocket cut at a slightly different angle so a shim isn’t needed.

You’re experiencing the opposite problem which doesn’t usually happen. How high is the bridge set on yours?

It’s pretty low. I think I’m going to say F it and swap it for an Ultra Strat in Texas Tea.

I’ve got number 9. I’ll be in town on the 26th, if you’re up for a drink I can hand deliver it for service.

5c69b2dba80bf5466cbe0df9c08c24c7.jpg

9 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Swap complete. I’ll post a better picture when I get it back from the tech.

If you guys want great deals on new shit, Alamo Music in downtown SA hooks it up.

518EC90D-BA58-480C-8CD1-5B051A5EFCC6.jpeg

I looked and played a custom shop with the same color combo used at my local GC. I should have gotten it because it played better then any strat I’ve ever played or heard. 

13 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Swap complete. I’ll post a better picture when I get it back from the tech.

If you guys want great deals on new shit, Alamo Music in downtown SA hooks it up.

518EC90D-BA58-480C-8CD1-5B051A5EFCC6.jpeg

image.png.67eeb3ab7968ba1178ab525244bda6f3.png

need moar pics - what is the color on the strat? looks nice

I got drunk and bought... well I drunk bought several guitars and can confirm that they were good decisions

• Haha 1