The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

24 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Metallica played a last minute show for a lucky 500 at one of my favorite SF venues last night. I only post it here because, from a video posted online, it looks like Kirk played Peter Green's Les Paul. Say what you will about Metallica, but I'm so glad Kirk is out rocking that thing for fans rather than it be sitting in some collectors closet somewhere.

And by this point should be calling Peter Green/Gary Moore's Les Paul, or just the Holy Grail?

Joe Bonamassa was probably skulking around backstage, in a hat and fake moustache, looking for an opportunity to snag it for his collection. 

Edited by Deej
  • Like 2

Joe Bonamassa was probably skulking around backstage, in a hat and fake moustache, looking for an opportunity to snag it for his collection. 
Hypocritically, if Bonamassa had it I would wish it were sitting in some collectors closet.

Thats not fair of me. I know very little about the guy. For whatever reason, anytime I see him I have no interest and click to something else. Maybe he's a great dude, and I'm sure he's a fantastic player. He was a child prodigy, wasn't he? Something there just turns me off.

1 minute ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Something there just turns me off.

I have no hate for Joe, but the silliest thing about him to me is that he came up as a white kid from the ‘burbs in New York state singing the blues like he was a poor black kid from the Mississippi delta.

He’s certainly not the only white guy to do that, but for whatever reason, he kind of comes off as the Vanilla Ice of blues.

On 9/11/2021 at 8:24 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I feel like I say this all the time, but what the hell . . . Warmoth.  You can have them do a satin finish Tele body.

Is the satin finish new? I don't recall seeing it as an option when I played on the build-your-body module before.

On 9/11/2021 at 8:37 PM, Foggy Notion said:

Have you looked at the Highway One Telecasters? No longer made but you can still find them used. 

I see them on Reverb going for over a thousand bucks now. That's crazy because they were only $600 new. I used to have a red Highway 1 Stratocaster. Yes it had a satin finish, but it wasn't durable at all. Large parts of the paint rubbed / flaked off.

I bought the Strat online and was really disappointed with it. Not sure if a Tele would've been better, but I would rather go with a partscaster.

5 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Hypocritically, if Bonamassa had it I would wish it were sitting in some collectors closet.

Thats not fair of me. I know very little about the guy. For whatever reason, anytime I see him I have no interest and click to something else. Maybe he's a great dude, and I'm sure he's a fantastic player. He was a child prodigy, wasn't he? Something there just turns me off.

I know him from his posting on Les Paul forum. He always seemed like a really nice guy. Anytime he would run across something cool he would post it. He is a serious collector that has no problem sharing his collection or his knowledge. 
He even did a virtual reality presentation of his collection, which was a lot of fun. You hear about the big stuff, but it was his collection of things like boutique amps that really made it neat.

• Like 1

I know him from his posting on Les Paul forum. He always seemed like a really nice guy. Anytime he would run across something cool he would post it. He is a serious collector that has no problem sharing his collection or his knowledge. 
He even did a virtual reality presentation of his collection, which was a lot of fun. You hear about the big stuff, but it was his collection of things like boutique amps that really made it neat.

He has some great gear videos on YouTube. The guy would fit right in here in that respect. Except you know, he can actually wail on his collection. He comes across exactly as you say. I kind of wanted to dislike him based on the over the top billboards that show up when he’s passing through town. But dammit if I don’t like the guy.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

He has some great gear videos on YouTube. The guy would fit right in here in that respect. Except you know, he can actually wail on his collection. He comes across exactly as you say. I kind of wanted to dislike him based on the over the top billboards that show up when he’s passing through town. But dammit if I don’t like the guy.

I remember you mentioning his videos before. My old ass just forgot about him having that out there. I will check those out. 

Metallica played a last minute show for a lucky 500 at one of my favorite SF venues last night. I only post it here because, from a video posted online, it looks like Kirk played Peter Green's Les Paul. Say what you will about Metallica, but I'm so glad Kirk is out rocking that thing for fans rather than it be sitting in some collectors closet somewhere.

And by this point should be calling Peter Green/Gary Moore's Les Paul, or just the Holy Grail?

5c1ff632cf9d8be49b72ccc6b69762be.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

On 9/18/2021 at 12:23 PM, Celery Man said:

Is that right? That looks like a maple top and if it's all maple that thing will weigh 20 pounds even with the swiss cheese weight relief holes.

I would name that guitar "The Log".

You're right, it is a maple cap, but still called a Les Paul Faded

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2018/USA/Les-Paul-Faded-2018.aspx

A few years ago they had an all mahogany Les Paul with a carved top (not sure if it was a cap or solid). It was less than $1,000. I was tempted but remembered that Gibson necks don't work for me.

Picked up one of these this week. It was on sale from $429 to $359 last week in this blue and a standard red. (the Sonic Blue that looks green or, or whatever it is, is still $429. The colors at Sweetwater are all $449.)

This week this “Lake Placid Blue” and the red are on CLEARANCE for $319.99!

FD1DC6D0-E2D8-4326-BEAB-8A81F62900A9.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Picked up one of these this week. It was on sale from $429 to $359 last week in this blue and a standard red. (the Sonic Blue that looks green or, or whatever it is, is still $429. The colors at Sweetwater are all $449.)

This week this “Lake Placid Blue” and the red are on CLEARANCE for $319.99!

FD1DC6D0-E2D8-4326-BEAB-8A81F62900A9.jpeg

Isn’t that pretty much a Mustang, or no?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Scooter Monzingo said:

Isn’t that pretty much a Mustang, or no?

It is. 

This has the original pickup circuitry that the real Fender Mustang has, but this has a 9.5” radius (vs 7.25” traditionally) and a popular body (vs alder, I believe). Plus, the pickups have got to be a lower quality than the top Fender Mustang. 

The Fender Player Mustang just has a three-way toggle and single coils. The Squier Bullet has a basswood body, HH pickups, 12” radius, and 250K pots that lead to easy distortion.

13 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

What’s the story on this guitar?

2011 fender custom shop build using a 1960 strat base.  Has a couple choices the original purchaser made that are not accurate to 1960 — the maple fretboard and 5 way toggle switch.

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 4