The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Manu Chao's "Clandestino" album is an.... I don't know if it would come to mind if I was trying to put together a list of my top 10 albums but I bet it would come up in a proper accounting of the 10 albums I've listened to the most. If you've never heard it you should turn it on the next time you're spending 45 minutes cleaning or putting up lights or what have you. Probably best categorized as reggae, but that's not quite right, and I feel like "world beat" is dumb american for "they don't speak american", it's an album that flows from track to track and language to language and is really great and has a real mood to it. And I've come back to Manu Chao because "Bongo Bong" and "Me Gustas Tu" (from his second album Esperanza, also good) are songs that my baby reacted to and are now familiar to her, so they get played all the goddamn time.

Anyways, long preamble to say that i followed him on social media and saw this today and now I've decided that i need a guitarlele. Anyone have one or have any recs?

also I love listening to his songs and then going to try and figure out what a really sweet song like "Minha Galera" is about and then just kinda piecing together.... mostly about pot and maybe cheap seat soccer fans

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Manu Chao's "Clandestino" album is an.... I don't know if it would come to mind if I was trying to put together a list of my top 10 albums but I bet it would come up in a proper accounting of the 10 albums I've listened to the most. If you've never heard it you should turn it on the next time you're spending 45 minutes cleaning or putting up lights or what have you. Probably best categorized as reggae, but that's not quite right, and I feel like "world beat" is dumb american for "they don't speak american", it's an album that flows from track to track and language to language and is really great and has a real mood to it. And I've come back to Manu Chao because "Bongo Bong" and "Me Gustas Tu" (from his second album Esperanza, also good) are songs that my baby reacted to and are now familiar to her, so they get played all the goddamn time.
Anyways, long preamble to say that i followed him on social media and saw this today and now I've decided that i need a guitarlele. Anyone have one or have any recs?

also I love listening to his songs and then going to try and figure out what a really sweet song like "Minha Galera" is about and then just kinda piecing together.... mostly about pot and maybe cheap seat soccer fans

Thanks for this rec. Saw them at ACLFest a few years back and really enjoyed the show but didn’t really know where to jump into their catalog.

And that’s the best description of “world beat” I’ve ever heard. Always hated that categorization but couldn’t put my finger on why. You nailed it.

Yes you should get whatever that thing is. Post pics.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Cool stuff.  Kind of a Brazilian music vibe to him.  I was thinking about getting my granddaughters each a ukulele for Christmas but you can get a Yamaha branded one of these for about $100.  I may look around for one of these.   

Rabbit Hole time for Hulla...

Edited by hullabelew
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think a common thing people say about Manu Chao is that his records are reggae and his live performances are ska. Also he's not punk (although his early band Mano Negro was punk or punkish) but he's punk AF in terms of not really going after a breakthrough in the US market, not giving a shit about anything but the things he cares about, etc. I kick myself for missing that ACL performance because I don't think he comes over here very much and I'd love to see him. He's spanish-french and sings mostly Spanish with a fair amount of French, Portuguese, English, and I think Arabic as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Cool stuff.  Kind of a Brazilian music vibe to him.  I was thinking about getting my granddaughters each a ukulele for Christmas but you can get a Yamaha branded one of these for about $100.  I may look around for one of these.   

Rabbit Hole time for Hulla...

Douche. 

Those wimmens tho...

I'm going to put this one here.  One of the great, unknown guitarist passed about on 10/27/21.  Rick Kurtz, from Birmingham.  He was a really nice guy and one of the best guitarists I've even been around.  
He toured mostly with Delbert, 
Watch him in action here with Stephen Bruton and Delbert.  That strat on the stand is probably my favorite guitar of all time.  I saw one yesterday that looked just like it at a used shop and if I can scramble the money up before it is gone, I'm going to own one.  
[/url]  
https://www.al.com/life/2021/10/rick-kurtz-guitarist-and-former-mainstay-on-birminghams-music-scene-has-died.html
This is probably my favorite of him with another Birmingham legend and friend, Lolly Lee.  In the late 80s and early 90s, Birmingham had a wealth of musical talent and these two were at the center of much of the action.  It is a damn shame none of them got more well known.  RIP to Rick Kurtz.  

77be869c4f3ccb781479a3a787ff960d.jpg

Thanks for posting.

Went to a bar for the 1st in a while. Walked in and the guy playing acoustic was setting up. Went to go to the back of the bar and he had a 1990 Gibson j-200. Thing was gig’d on and beat to holy fuck but man it was beautiful! Sound just as good! Made me sad I sold the J-150 almost ;)

Not sure if Kirk had ol girl out tonight or what, but it sounded great.

88efc5ea157fa050f94068c86592e950.jpg

I love that he plays a million (half million? Does it matter?) guitar out. The infrastructure to keep track of that thing must be pretty solid. Straight into an armored car and to a vault after each gig? That’s a baller move.
  • Like 1

Our 1st proper show is this week, a leather daddy gay bar in San Francisco that will be packed. Actually a pretty good venue where I've seen shows but never played. I can't decide between which of these 2 guitars to bring. They both have the same pickups, the V sounds a little fuller in the neck position, but the Jet sounds a lot better in the bridge - I do nearly the whole thing in the neck position.IMG_0537~2.jpg20211114_135946.jpg

• Like 2

Our 1st proper show is this week, a leather daddy gay bar in San Francisco that will be packed. Actually a pretty good venue where I've seen shows but never played. I can't decide between which of these 2 guitars to bring. They both have the same pickups, the V sounds a little fuller in the neck position, but the Jet sounds a lot better in the bridge - I do nearly the whole thing in the neck position.442368801_IMG_05372.thumb.jpg.9bd81d42a62fc85bfa4d86219991625a.jpg20211114_135946.thumb.jpg.1227746bbc779c9d34d9a5076767495d.jpg

The V seems more power top. I’d go with that one.

Played our first gig since covid last night. Private party out in the sticks. They had a new distillery doing whiskey tastings out there. We all got free bottles of whiskey on top of the pay. Long gig though. Four hours. We have a new bass player who played the last set and I got to debut my Mesa Lone Star with the R8. Three sets of roots rock/country and last set was all late 70s/80s rock because that’s what the new guy knows. It was a fun switch up for the band and the crowd.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

It actually belongs to my former and future bass player Jessica, but she keeps it here. It's really great little amp and convenient in my bedroom since I can stack a guitar amp on top. Plenty loud and has a line out for the PA if you need more.

We rehearse a lot in my bedroom, everybody in the bar downstairs and half the neighborhood probably knows our entire set by now.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2021 at 10:41 AM, hullabelew said:

Last night, this dude played at a guitar shop in Portland. They told he to pick any guitar in the place, and this is what he grabbed. Anyone wanna take a stab at who this is? I would still be guessing if my buddy hadn't given me a hint. aaf4b5af02de0d1699e8943d1ec118aa.jpgc9f1c5d3709e6db330cb5bb6398c91dd.jpgb3406c7e90be957c5f2e0097f96fcef5.jpga64871055ce00ca3db738a2c27d4d930.jpg

Les Nessman?

• Like 2

On 11/13/2021 at 10:41 AM, hullabelew said:

Last night, this dude played at a guitar shop in Portland. They told he to pick any guitar in the place, and this is what he grabbed. Anyone wanna take a stab at who this is? I would still be guessing if my buddy hadn't given me a hint. aaf4b5af02de0d1699e8943d1ec118aa.jpgc9f1c5d3709e6db330cb5bb6398c91dd.jpgb3406c7e90be957c5f2e0097f96fcef5.jpga64871055ce00ca3db738a2c27d4d930.jpg

👀

Looks like a pedophile.

🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

That's been on my "do want" list for a while.  One day I'll find one for the right price.  What are your thoughts on it?  Pros?  Cons?

Hot pickups! But love it! Fun to play. First put it on to jam and my drummer looked at me and we ripped through “about a girl”, then a pause and I said fuck it and we ripped through “School”. It was fun. Got it cheap a couple years ago because my rep said it had a ding (story of my collection from Sweetwater) on it. Still can’t find it like all others I’ve bought. Got it for $900. 

4 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Hot pickups! But love it! Fun to play. First put it on to jam and my drummer looked at me and we ripped through “about a girl”, then a pause and I said fuck it and we ripped through “School”. It was fun. Got it cheap a couple years ago because my rep said it had a ding (story of my collection from Sweetwater) on it. Still can’t find it like all others I’ve bought. Got it for $900. 

Wow.  That's quite a deal.

19 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Bought this on Reverb tonight. Been looking for a new gigging guitar that can handle some abuse. Going to put an LR Baggs anthem in it. New these are $14-1500. Listed as factory blemish. Got for $977 from Straight in Austin. I dig the look of these in black.

5e4a7728909567fb589508541203d0cc.png

$14 to $1500 range? U should’ve picked up a few $14 ones just to break when you’re done. 

side note, I hate having small hands. Really discourages me from wanting to learn to play again

• Like 1

@Celery Man  The other dude in the picture is my buddy who has Arena Rock Recording Co (record label) and a great podcast called "The Bottom Forty".  The has interviewed Bob Stinson, and Paul Westerberg in formal interviews.  This with Tommy was more just talking   Several years ago, Paul only did one interview that year and it was by my friend.  

Anyway, he told me "Tommy played mostly solo stuff and Bash & Pop material.  Lots of new stuff.  He is sober now, and lucid.  Very nice, not snarky like in the past. He told me a story of them doing blow off the amps at Sloss Furnice (Birmingham, AL venue) and then pool sharking afterwards and nearly getting killed in some pool hall later that night."  

Edited by hullabelew

I keep meaning to read a book about The Replacements. The only thing like that I've read is the chapter out of Michael Azerrad's book. But I have a bit of a fascination with alcoholic musicians and particularly dudes who flamed out hard like Bob Stinson. I have to imagine Tommy had some shit to deal with that he maybe has only just gotten to if this is his first bout of sobriety around what happened with Bob. But, again, I don't really know the story enough.

The dude from the Gin Blossoms is another one. That's a band that... I was too young to really be able to tell you but I don't think the Gin Blossoms had any street/snob cred at all and IMO they are one of the better bands of that period. And the original guitarist is another one of those sad stories - got kicked after recording New Miserable Experience, killed himself, that was the big hit album.

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

I keep meaning to read a book about The Replacements.

I read this one a few years back.  Fair warning:  it's a beating, not all that different than Warren Zanes' biography of Tom Petty.  Verbose and a bit too academic for my tastes.  But, a 'mats fan can definitely extract some nuggets that make it worthwhile.

0306818795.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

Thats a good book, Chad. Ive read ton of musician biography/autobiographies and it was one of the better ones I've read. Im in the middle of Neil Young's "Waging a Heavy Peace" right now. Really well written, he wrote it himself, except he keeps going in to the Pono thing - it was written when he was pushing that.

FB_IMG_1637082059925.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1