The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Ok got a noob question. Would you rather get a $500-$700 Epiphone LP or a Gibson LP around the same price? From what I’ve seen/heard the higher priced Epi’s seem to play and sound better than the lower priced Gibsons. Or at least good enough for my novice ass. 

also been checking on the PRS SE 245’s. I like those a lot too. 

don’t think I’ll even think about getting a Squier. Seems like Fender is my only option there. Heard the Fenders are a little “easier” to play compared to the Epi/Gibson. Any truth do that? 

29 minutes ago, BERT said:

Ok got a noob question. Would you rather get a $500-$700 Epiphone LP or a Gibson LP around the same price? From what I’ve seen/heard the higher priced Epi’s seem to play and sound better than the lower priced Gibsons. Or at least good enough for my novice ass. 

don’t think I’ll even think about getting a Squier. Seems like Fender is my only option there. Heard the Fenders are a little “easier” to play compared to the Epi/Gibson. Any truth do that? 

The Gibson will always have a higher resale value.  Not sure where you're able to get a real Gibson LP at $500-$700.  

As to how well they play, that's all about getting the guitar properly set up by a luthier.  Squier has some fine instruments as does Fender.  You should build in about $60 anytime you buy a guitar to have it gone over and set up by a good luthier.

Pics would help though.

24 minutes ago, BERT said:

Welcome.  

You will get as many opinions as there are guys on this thread. 

Buy what speaks to you and inspires you.  Fender vs Gibson… The differences in playability to a beginner are probably negligible.  

Personally, I would buy used - as the closets of America are filled with like-new guitars that were once $1200 and now $700.

And like Chad says - whatever you pick, pay for a good set up.  

I look forward to helping you pick out a pre-CBS Strat and a pre-war Martin in a few years. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

The Gibson will always have a higher resale value.  Not sure where you're able to get a real Gibson LP at $500-$700.  

As to how well they play, that's all about getting the guitar properly set up by a luthier.  Squier has some fine instruments as does Fender.  You should build in about $60 anytime you buy a guitar to have it gone over and set up by a good luthier.

Pics would help though.

True, i said around the same price. Guess it's been used ones i've seen around that range.

2 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Welcome.  

You will get as many opinions as there are guys on this thread. 

Buy what speaks to you and inspires you.  Fender vs Gibson… The differences in playability to a beginner are probably negligible.  

Personally, I would buy used - as the closets of America are filled with like-new guitars that were once $1200 and now $700.

And like Chad says - whatever you pick, pay for a good set up.  

I look forward to helping you pick out a pre-CBS Strat and a pre-war Martin in a few years. 

yep, there's a Guitar Center in Tyler, that's closest to me. Local shop mainly deals with Fender.

Guess i should really just try to find one that i REALLY want to play all the time.

In the process of learning the song Everlong. Seems like it's a simple song to play, just just need my fingers to start doing what my brain is telling them to. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BERT said:

Guess i should really just try to find one that i REALLY want to play all the time.

Play as many as possible. Ignore the name on the headstock and find the one that speaks most to you. You will be more likely to play that guitar, regardless of the price or manufacturer. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

This fits your needs perfectly but isn’t a Gibson.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENL59ADCNH--epiphone-1959-les-paul-standard-outfit-aged-dark-cherry-burst

The cheapest Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded might be able to be had around that price, but those are pretty bare bones.

Had my eye on this one. Doesn't say anything about the guitar anywhere. Model number on the back of the headstock shows it to be made in 2005. All i got

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Epiphone/Les-Paul-Standard-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-117544366.gc

A lot of good advice already -- especially try a lot before you buy and buy used gear.  If you buy at a used price, you will get more guitar for your buck and take at most a small hit for your time owning the guitar.  If you buy at a new price, you'll get less of a guitar, wind up having to sell at a used price and take a bigger hit to the pocketbook.  The more recognizable brands will be easier to move if you decide you want to sell later.

Only thing I might add that I didn't see mentioned is that if you have a favorite guitarist that fucks you good in the earhole, strongly consider an analog to what they play.  Like if Hendrix is your inspiration, you'll probably be happier with a <$600 Strat with the 3 single coil pickups than you would with an Epiphone with two humbucking pickups that won't generate tones similar to Hendrix.  That can help cut down on choices if you feel overwhelmed by all the possibilities.

If you are like me and are inspired by Duane Alman, Jimi Hendrix, Alvin Lee, Keith Richards Jimmy Page, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Larry Carlton, Danny Gatton and many others, well, you are fucked and should go ahead and start funneling small amounts of money each month into bank accounts that your wife has no access to.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Goredho said:

A lot of good advice already -- especially try a lot before you buy and buy used gear.  If you buy at a used price, you will get more guitar for your buck and take at most a small hit for your time owning the guitar.  If you buy at a new price, you'll get less of a guitar, wind up having to sell at a used price and take a bigger hit to the pocketbook.  The more recognizable brands will be easier to move if you decide you want to sell later.

Only thing I might add that I didn't see mentioned is that if you have a favorite guitarist that fucks you good in the earhole, strongly consider an analog to what they play.  Like if Hendrix is your inspiration, you'll probably be happier with a <$600 Strat with the 3 single coil pickups than you would with an Epiphone with two humbucking pickups that won't generate tones similar to Hendrix.  That can help cut down on choices if you feel overwhelmed by all the possibilities.

If you are like me and are inspired by Duane Alman, Jimi Hendrix, Alvin Lee, Keith Richards Jimmy Page, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Larry Carlton, Danny Gatton and many others, well, you are fucked and should go ahead and start funneling small amounts of money each month into bank accounts that your wife has no access to.

Well i'm not married. so i have that going for me. 

Think i like the sound of the Les Paul's.  I enjoy listening to Page. Favorite band is Foo Fighters with Metallica being a distant second. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2005. That thing will have really hot pickups if they are original. Don't sound close to PAF's. Epi really stepped it up when they introduced their Probuckers. I'd shoot for a later model. The ones from about 2012 on are much better in tone and fit and finish. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Deej said:

2005. That thing will have really hot pickups if they are original. Don't sound close to PAF's. Epi really stepped it up when they introduced their Probuckers. I'd shoot for a later model. The ones from about 2012 on are much better in tone and fit and finish. 

Define hot pickups for me like I’m a 5yr old

I have an epi LP standard. Over the 8  years I've owned it,  I've added a Gibson 57 classic in the neck and Seymour JB in bridge, removed pick guard, changed knobs multiple times. Not sure I would have done any mods if I had a Gibson LP.  It's truly my own and have no intention of selling it and hardly care about current value.

If this is your 1st,  don't be shocked that you will want another additional guitar shortly after. It's a sickness. 

20211104_185347.thumb.jpg.8238103af11de3f52171e9453094e5dd.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, DougO said:

Back again in time for early Christmas shopping, Adorama has the Lake Placid blue Players series Tele or Strat for $549 through slickdeals.

I have been watching for this. I have the Strat that I got at $539 last year (and that later dropped to $519), but have had regrets that I didn’t buy the Tele instead. I may need to pull the trigger.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15423868-fender-limited-edition-player-stratocaster-or-telecaster-electric-guitars-lake-placid-blue-549-each-free-s-h-at-adorama?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BERT said:

Had my eye on this one. Doesn't say anything about the guitar anywhere. Model number on the back of the headstock shows it to be made in 2005. All i got

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Epiphone/Les-Paul-Standard-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-117544366.gc

It looks like the back of the neck is trash. 

While, I do agree that you will get more guitar for your money used, when I was getting my 1st guitar I had no clue how to spot problem issues with a used guitar. I went new because I felt more comfortable that things would be right or could be addressed under warranty if necessary.

If you are not committed to Les Paul, the Strat that Napoleon posted is a great deal on a really good guitar. Spend a few bucks on a setup and you should be good for a long while. Spend your extra funds on a good modeling amp, cable, strap etc. 

Of the Epiphone's I agree that this one is probably the best bang for the buck that you have listed. If you email Sweetwater, they should be a willing to do a bit better on the price than the website MSRP. This one also comes with a case. As you start dropping down the Epiphone or Fender line, the case disappears and you will end up having to add that in to your purchase as well. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENL59ADCNH--epiphone-1959-les-paul-standard-outfit-aged-dark-cherry-burst

Edited by topochico

11 hours ago, BERT said:

I vote that PRS above that 2005 Epi.  I'm like Deej.  The improvement in Epi between 2005 and now if massive.  As an added aside, I swore I would never have an Epi (over a Gibson) but I have an Epi 339 that I absolutely love.  The Gibson version of that guitar would cost about $2,000.  I found this 339 for $200 used and it still had the pickguard sticker on it and even had a nice soft shell case that costs $100 new.  I have some Seymour Duncan Antiquity humbuckers I'm going to put it in and going to put in a bone nut and for $600 I will have a fantastic guitar.   

Funny thing I realized recently.  I always liked buying new....didn't want to buy someone else's problems.  I'm the same way with cars...but right now:

1999 Fender Tele:  Used for $200
2019 Epi 339:  Used for $200
2001 Taylor:  Bought new
1982 Hohner 12 String:  Bought new
1962 Epi Century:  Swapped a 2014 Gibson Les Paul that I bought new.  The Epi was essentially a 1 owner guitar. 
Ovation Mandolin:  Used for $150

Looking at a used Gretsch 5655 and a Gibson J-15 right now as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Deej said:

Yeah, I've got that Epi 339 P90 Pro. Bought new for $270 on sale. It's a better guitar in tone and playability that the Gibson 339 I had in my possession during COVID. 

I was going to buy one of those P90 versions then I stumbled upon the HB version in a local shop.  I need P90s in my life.  

Look at what those are selling for on Reverb....

https://reverb.com/p/epiphone-es-339-p90-pro-2014-2019

Edited by hullabelew

5 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I have been watching for this. I have the Strat that I got at $539 last year (and that later dropped to $519), but have had regrets that I didn’t buy the Tele instead. I may need to pull the trigger.

https://slickdeals.net/f/15423868-fender-limited-edition-player-stratocaster-or-telecaster-electric-guitars-lake-placid-blue-549-each-free-s-h-at-adorama?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

Oooooh I like that 

• Hook 'Em 2

Don’t overlook a HSS Strat. It may be the most versatile guitar in the world. Humbucker in the bridge, single coil in the neck, super easy to play. I had a Squier version for awhile that I really liked before I got my HH Strat. I adore the HH but I’d likely be as happy or happier with HSS.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Don’t overlook a HSS Strat. It may be the most versatile guitar in the world. Humbucker in the bridge, single coil in the neck, super easy to play. I had a Squier version for awhile that I really liked before I got my HH Strat. I adore the HH but I’d likely be as happy or happier with HSS.

^This right here. I can play every song our full band plays with an HSS strat a volume knob, and one pedal.

And Bert - hotter pickups mean more distortion, often, but not always, at the expense of smoothness of tone. Depending on the setup, sometimes you can roll off the volume knob on the guitar to get some smoothness back with hot pickups.
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, BERT said:

I have two PRS single cut import versions, both probably a decade old or more, Korean made. One is the 245 version, the other is their regular scale. I love them both. PRS guitars are really well crafted, though they keep getting more expensive. If you like the style and the price I don't think you would be disappointed.

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

So what makes one more expensive than the other? Can’t just be the pickups on the HSS. Cause besides that that look the same to me lol

1 minute ago, BERT said:

So what makes one more expensive than the other? Can’t just be the pickups on the HSS. Cause besides that that look the same to me lol

It’s just the bridge pickup and that’s it.

”Player” SSS series Strats were $699 from when they launched until one day this fall when suddenly they weren’t. 

The SSS was suddenly $799 and the HSS was $829 and the Player Plus SSS was introduced at $999, but it had a push/pull pot and rounded fretboard edges.

Adorama special ordered Player Strats & Teles in Lake Placid Blue and was trying to sell them at $799 the whole time the official Player price was $699, and Adorama is mainly a camera company, not a music store, so sales weren’t happening. 

So last year there was a $539 Slick Deal sale for a while and then a $519 Slick Deal Sale earlier this year and then another one in the middle of the year.

These are still from the 2020 run and Adorama still isn’t a music store, so to offload some “year old guitars” before they become “TWO year old guitars”, Adorama is throwing these guitars on sale again, but at a $250 discount from official Fender list price…

Same pickups, same wiring, same everything as the entry level Player.

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

It’s just the bridge pickup and that’s it.

”Player” SSS series Strats were $699 from when they launched until one day this fall when suddenly they weren’t. 

The SSS was suddenly $799 and the HSS was $829 and the Player Plus SSS was introduced at $999, but it had a push/pull pot and rounded fretboard edges.

Adorama special ordered Player Strats & Teles in Lake Placid Blue and was trying to sell them at $799 the whole time the official Player price was $699, and Adorama is mainly a camera company, not a music store, so sales weren’t happening. 

So last year there was a $539 Slick Deal sale for a while and then a $519 Slick Deal Sale earlier this year and then another one in the middle of the year.

These are still from the 2020 run and Adorama still isn’t a music store, so to offload some “year old guitars” before they become “TWO year old guitars”, Adorama is throwing these guitars on sale again, but at a $250 discount from official Fender list price…

Same pickups, same wiring, same everything as the entry level Player.

Thanks for that well put response, man. Appreciate that 

• Hook 'Em 1

Don’t judge me for not removing the plastic wrap on my pickguard & back plate, but here are images that show the Lake Placid Blue better. 
NOTE: The Player series Strat has a much bigger trem block than the next two or three levels of Strats above it. (Saw this in a Darrell Braun video and will include a shot.)

6D9FC3C1-8465-4CB0-A302-FF00C5157717.jpeg

63F70915-3E94-4E20-95DE-2D1A0B34AEF1.jpeg

62694FCD-0A93-44C7-A44B-DC34F83692BB.jpeg

0E452818-C2B9-4809-8BE6-7374F762E382.jpeg

DC05ED5F-93FE-4B63-BDC7-F0A9C2D7BBF3.jpeg

301F17C0-94A4-483C-93FD-AB64C421C460.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1