The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

This is a 2015 “Player Series” guitar…

…even though the Player Series didn’t appear until 2018. 😂

…and only $85 shipping, when shipping through Reverb costs about $20-$25.

Nice 6-point (screw) trem that they have compared to the 2-point (screw) trem on the Players using the name “Player”.

Ummm… no.

This is a 2015 “Player Series” guitar…
…even though the Player Series didn’t appear until 2018.
…and only $85 shipping, when shipping through Reverb costs about $20-$25.
Nice 6-point (screw) trem that they have compared to the 2-point (screw) trem on the Players using the name “Player”.
Ummm… no.

Again, just an example to show that there are a bunch out there. Feel free to post something better.
  • Hook 'Em 1

tbone likes them, I’m not sure I’d know the difference

I do. I have my strat and tele done this way. Feels like there’s more to “grab onto” if that makes sense.

People will tell you big frets and big strings don’t make for better tone but they are all wrong.

Dig the sparkle on that blue.
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Again, just an example to show that there are a bunch out there. Feel free to post something better.

I am laughing at the seller, not you.

The idea that one’s Made In México guitar is suddenly a “Player Series” because “Mexican Standard” was replaced by the Player is ridiculous. And then selling the well-used guitar for more than it was purchased for is also laughable when it isn’t a rare guitar.

If this person sells that guitar for more than $525 (pre-tax, but shipping included), then the buyer has done zero research. 

Facebook Marketplace in major cities regularly have MIM Teles & Strats listed around $500 w/case and can probably be had for $350-$400 w/o shipping or tax tacked on.

That listing of

$595 (guitar)

+$85 (shipping)

= $680 x 1.0825 (tax)…

$736.10

…for a 6+ year-old used Strat

Wow!

At that rate a person should call Sweetwater or Musician’s Friend and say I will pay $750 for a brand new Player HSS all included and see what they say.

The only new Gibson I know of that was gettable for under $700 is the SG faded I got for about 600 a few years ago on special. It was a real bargain and probably my favorite guitar to play. Unfortunately, it looks like they don't exist any longer and the cheapest electric Gibson at Sweetwater is a grand. 

I used to see clean used Epiphone Les Pauls and SGs under $300 at pawn shops and stuff, but those day seem like they are over since the covid bullshit clobbered an already fading used market.

4 hours ago, BERT said:

Is that an advantage to having jumbo frets? 

It's a matter of preference. For the price, I would recommend the brand new one from Adorama, Strat or Tele. Tough to beat for the price for a new quality guitar. Otherwise, I say figure out what you would really like for a price you feel comfortable with.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, DougO said:

The only new Gibson I know of that was gettable for under $700 is the SG faded I got for about 600 a few years ago on special. It was a real bargain and probably my favorite guitar to play. Unfortunately, it looks like they don't exist any longer and the cheapest electric Gibson at Sweetwater is a grand. 

I used to see clean used Epiphone Les Pauls and SGs under $300 at pawn shops and stuff, but those day seem like they are over since the covid bullshit clobbered an already fading used market.

Bought an SG Faded for $300. Traded it for a Silverface Champ and a lot of cash.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, DougO said:

It's a matter of preference. For the price, I would recommend the brand new one from Adorama, Strat or Tele. Tough to beat for the price for a new quality guitar. Otherwise, I say figure out what you would really like for a price you feel comfortable with.

The current Player SSS list price is $799, the current HSS list is $829. (So $30 more.)

Call Sweetwater and talk to a sales rep. Let them know about the Adorama deal. Then offer to pay $30 more for an HSS. ($579 + tax) They have a Tidepool that is almost the exact color. (They also have two other colors.) 

If they accept your offer, then that $627 with tax & free shipping. If they don’t accept it, there is still a lot of room between $627 and $750 that I mentioned earlier.

These guitars were acquired when their list was $729. There is a ton of wiggle room if they want to make a sale.

image.thumb.jpeg.181ecfc3437fb826243935a26c52190d.jpeg
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratPHSSMTP--fender-player-series-stratocaster-hss-tidepool-with-maple-fingerboard

• Hook 'Em 1

Here are Facebook Marketplace Strats that are listed at reasonable prices and can probably be had for 75% to 80% of the list price. These are within 250 miles of Dallas, because I don’t know where the buyer lives. 

There are plenty that are priced $700 and up, but I didn’t include them. One of these is a SSS Lake Placid Blue for $600… about $5 more than the Adorama one shipped with tax, but the FB one comes with a case… and is 25 years-old. 😳

DE70C1B1-79EF-4B20-BD74-096428741066.jpeg

0DCCE2BE-E6F7-4E01-9509-CF9EBF5C8FBB.jpeg

046B2A56-9013-4A4F-89F4-AB49F68BF92F.jpeg

C9E04B39-4455-43FD-A713-B8B2F6C2730F.jpeg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Here are Facebook Marketplace Strats that are listed at reasonable prices and can probably be had for 75% to 80% of the list price. These are within 250 miles of Dallas, because I don’t know where the buyer lives. 

There are plenty that are priced $700 and up, but I didn’t include them. One of these is a SSS Lake Placid Blue for $600… about $5 more than the Adorama one shipped with tax, but the FB one comes with a case… and is 25 years-old. 😳

046B2A56-9013-4A4F-89F4-AB49F68BF92F.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Ok. Stupid question can I put in a humbucker in the strat? Like when I take the pickguard off is it humbucker ready in the body  

I can't say for certain since I haven't bought a Strat that was made in the last several years, but I believe that at least the Mexico Fenders are all made with routes that will fit humbuckers underneath the pickguard.

Just checked Musiciansfriend and they have some Players series strats on sale for $700. I always liked the look of the blue burst, a few differnet colors. GC likely has the same deal. 

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-player-stratocaster-hss-plus-top-maple-fingerboard-limited-edition-electric-guitar

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

Ok. Stupid question can I put in a humbucker in the strat? Like when I take the pickguard off is it humbucker ready in the body  

Pretty sure the lower and upper pickups have larger cuts at least in most of the modern ones (say after the 60's) in the bridge and neck pickups, that's where 99% of the humbuckers go (either/both).  The middle cutout would need to be expanded (and no one I know's ever done it), probably a bad idea.  Besides that, the routing looks okay, just get the pickguard config you'd want (with either 1 or 2 hum holes).  Good video:

(p.s. haven't taken my 2012 Tex Mex apart to look @ cutouts, don't want to, if I wanted hums I'd buy one with 'em).

Yay or nay? 
https://www.mundtmusic.com/p-19997-squier-classic-vibe-70s-stratocaster-hss-laurel-fingerboard-walnut-electric-guitar.aspx

And what’s the difference between these two? Guessing the 70’s one uses different pickups and that’s why the prices is different? 
https://www.mundtmusic.com/p-23774-squier-affinity-series-stratocaster-hss-laurel-fingerboard-montego-black-metallic-electric-guitar.aspx

this is my local store so I’d rather just buy one from there 

Edited by BERT

50 minutes ago, BERT said:

Yay or nay? 
https://www.mundtmusic.com/p-19997-squier-classic-vibe-70s-stratocaster-hss-laurel-fingerboard-walnut-electric-guitar.aspx

And what’s the difference between these two? Guessing the 70’s one uses different pickups and that’s why the prices is different? 
https://www.mundtmusic.com/p-23774-squier-affinity-series-stratocaster-hss-laurel-fingerboard-montego-black-metallic-electric-guitar.aspx

this is my local store so I’d rather just buy one from there 

You should go try both if they have them in stock. Besides the pickups, the other big difference will be in the feel of the neck. The Classic Vibe has a glossy amber tint with narrow frets. The Affinity neck has a satin finish with medium jumbo frets I believe. Vintage style tuners and bridge on the CV vs modern style on the Affinity.

I'm a fan of the Classic Vibe series. They're generally the highest quality guitars in the Squier line, on par with entry level Fender IMO, which is reflected in the price difference. Try both if you can. If setup properly, the CV "should" be the better instrument, but you might prefer the more modern feel of the Affinity. 

18 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Looking to spend $600 on a strat. Need a bridge humbucker. Will be checking this thread tomorrow for Black Friday deals 

17 hours ago, DougO said:

You could always buy the Adorama Strat and a pickguard with a humbucker slot.

OR... you could buy a hum bucker that fits into a single coil pickup slot.

This would be easier, because then you only need to buy a pickup rather than a pickup AND a pick guard.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Napoleon said:

OR... you could buy a hum bucker that fits into a single coil pickup slot.

This would be easier, because then you only need to buy a pickup rather than a pickup AND a pick guard.

True, I used to put Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in my Strats. Lots of good options out there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Looking to spend $600 on a strat. Need a bridge humbucker. Will be checking this thread tomorrow for Black Friday deals 

This would be $700+ tax, but...

1) you wouldn't need to buy a humbucker

2) the color is amazing

3) later, you could get a white pickguard... or any color you want

This is lovely.

L79649000001000-00-500x500.jpg

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-player-stratocaster-hss-maple-fingerboard-limited-edition-electric-guitar/l79649000001000?cntry=US&cur=USD&utm_content=L79649000001000--Fender+Player+Stratocaster+HSS+Maple+Fingerboard+Limited-Edition+Electric+Guitar+Sonic+Blue&source=3WWRWXGS&gclid=CjwKCAiAqIKNBhAIEiwAu_ZLDn-ex4_gpQkD71PIMU2S1PZ_jcgXDPPyj6igohypb-Bt7M61vYr1nBoC22kQAvD_BwE

Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 8.25.50 PM.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1