The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

2 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Never mind, I just remembered your post..

Probably helped it was right at 9 lbs. The new ones on Sweetwater are heavy as fuck with tops that are nowhere close to special. 

25 minutes ago, Deej said:

Probably helped it was right at 9 lbs. The new ones on Sweetwater are heavy as fuck with tops that are nowhere close to special. 

I have never owned one under 10 lbs. but, I’m one of those tin foil hat guys who think that the weight has something to do with the sound.

Could I tell the difference in a blind test? Probably fucking not.

I have never owned one under 10 lbs. but, I’m one of those tin foil hat guys who think that the weight has something to do with the sound.

Could I tell the difference in a blind test? Probably fucking not.
My R8 is a svelte 8.5lbs. I have a swamp ash Tele thats nearly as heavy.

21 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

What I hate most is the failure of people to recognize that just because it’s old, don’t mean it’s good. 

Guitars are unlike any other thing I collect. If one buys a high end Leica film camera like a single stroke M3, you still pay top dollar. But a Topcon from the same year…$35.00.

Same with watches. A 1969 Daytona Rolex is going to be expensive. A Timex from the same year, fuck who knows, $5.00?

Guitars, the entire landscape changes. If it is from yesteryear, you pay premium, even if it is shit. This phenomenon is particularly true when fucking around with early LP’s. Yeah, they’re old. But most have problems, and don’t sound particularly great. Remember, those prior to 57 didn’t have the Seth Lover PAF pickups. Yet, a asking price of $45,000 is not uncommon……fuck that. It’s just old..

So I get where you're coming from for sure.  But lets say the P-90 equipped LPs - sure the 52-54s had issues (trapeze tailpiece, wrap around bridge for example), but the 56s with the P-90s are pretty danged cool and have a unique sound.  Sure, they aren't 57-60s with the PAFs, but they have a taste that some people appreciate along with the vintage mystique and my guess is some true scarcity.  I know it's been roughly estimated that there are only 12-1400 57-60 bursts.  So how many 56 LPs with the P-90s and the tune o matic set up?  

Where I really agree with you is on the bottom end guitars.  For example, my Dad learned on an Alamo amp that's currently listed for $800 on Reverb now.  It was a piece of shit then, and it's a piece of shit now.  I actually have a Silvertone/Danelectro 1448 with the amp in case (that promptly shorted out when I plugged it in).  I bought it for $100 as a curiosity twenty years ago.  But honestly, it's a piece of junk.  A funny, interesting piece of junk, but you couldn't play the thing out without a lot of money dumped into it.  I've played Harmony guitars from back in the day.  Again, they suck.  But the Jimmy Reed model will set you back at least $1500.  Think about how much guitar $1500 can buy you from Fender or Gibson, or one of their decent lower price point brands.  That's where I see the real craziness.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

So I get where you're coming from for sure.  But lets say the P-90 equipped LPs - sure the 52-54s had issues (trapeze tailpiece, wrap around bridge for example), but the 56s with the P-90s are pretty danged cool and have a unique sound.  Sure, they aren't 57-60s with the PAFs, but they have a taste that some people appreciate along with the vintage mystique and my guess is some true scarcity.  I know it's been roughly estimated that there are only 12-1400 57-60 bursts.  So how many 56 LPs with the P-90s and the tune o matic set up?  

Where I really agree with you is on the bottom end guitars.  For example, my Dad learned on an Alamo amp that's currently listed for $800 on Reverb now.  It was a piece of shit then, and it's a piece of shit now.  I actually have a Silvertone/Danelectro 1448 with the amp in case (that promptly shorted out when I plugged it in).  I bought it for $100 as a curiosity twenty years ago.  But honestly, it's a piece of junk.  A funny, interesting piece of junk, but you couldn't play the thing out without a lot of money dumped into it.  I've played Harmony guitars from back in the day.  Again, they suck.  But the Jimmy Reed model will set you back at least $1500.  Think about how much guitar $1500 can buy you from Fender or Gibson, or one of their decent lower price point brands.  That's where I see the real craziness.

Oh, I don’t disagree with you about the early LP’s. But, If you asked me what are they worth to me? Nothing north of $5k. At best it is in the $3500 to $5000 range. And that’s with provenance. There are simply far to many in the market to demand such high numbers.

The only exception would be a real find that was in mint shape, included the original sales receipt, and all case candy that was original. Sure, such an example would bring far more.

41 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

;)

Seriously, get you a silver sky.  I've played both of my brothers' at length, and they are great guitars.  I don't like the look of the head stock, but who gives a shit?  I'm about to have this delivered on Thursday, and it is damn sure not going to win any beauty contests...

460db0d2b003e32ec662214e505fe98e.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Ok I have several conflicting thoughts on this. Here they are in no particular order:

1. That’s pretty damn cool
2. No room for a 4 12 cabinet
3. Not enough amps
4. Love the slide out pedal drawer at counter height
5. That seems very wife approved, closes up neat and nice. I like my shit out on full display.
6. I’d switch and put guitars lower and amps up higher.

2 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

The affordable Jerry Cantrell Wino is here! If only they had it in lefty. 

Cool guitar, but the video called to mind a rule of thumb:  If a hat looks fucking ridiculous when you're not playing guitar, it probably looks fucking ridiculous when you are (I'm looking at you, bass players and your fedoras).  

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Cool guitar, but the video called to mind a rule of thumb:  If a hat looks fucking ridiculous when you're not playing guitar, it probably looks fucking ridiculous when you are (I'm looking at you, bass players and your fedoras).  

That whole demo was very uninspiring.  Start with a real amp.  The tones were muddy, somewhat brittle and wholly uninteresting.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I really like the look of that turquoise version, save maybe the fretboard.  I don't tend to like binding on Teles, but it works there, as does the clipped pickguard.

the color on the back of the neck/headstock is slick

image.thumb.png.f9b05400ca403624238cc60c79d9d970.png

dammit I had convinced myself that I need to set my sights on a jazzmaster but this is calling my name

• Hook 'Em 1