The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I was looking up information on [mention=1139]Goredho[/mention]Reverend when I saw this.

A sort of amalgamation of different styles that for some strange reason appeals to me?
C175A57D-C010-43DC-AE97-C7B889FBF2F8.jpeg.3bf908f63a2e46f4ad33413086d85434.jpeg

That’s bad ass. Can you get it with a neck p90 too?

Another tone demo from the Club King and its magical P90s.  Whereas before was all warbly ambient chords, this is all melody/lead noodling over a sustained D chord.  This is through the Dirty Shirley with all its tone knobs neutral.  As for the guitar, the neck pickup is selected with the treble knob rolled back maybe 30% and bass knob rolled back about 20%.  Has some reverb and delay, but otherwise the signal is unprocessed.

I am really, really falling in love with this guitar's tone.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Adding a second pickup changed the look. I would like to see that in red or white.

Here you go, but the Sensei 290 isn’t listed on their website and I don’t see any on reverb, so dunno what’s up with them.  Some vids on YouTube as recent as 2 years ago.

A0A80DAA-668F-454A-80F8-C5FC643A0FF5.jpeg

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 6:14 PM, Deej said:

Been getting into John Taylor’s bass tutorials on YouTube. Guy doesn't get enough love.

His bass dominates those 80's Duran Duran songs. 

Au contraire, I am fairly certain that John Taylor has gotten more love than scientists previously thought was possible. 

54 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Its hard to call any band inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame "under appreciated" while so many much more deserving bands are left out. In fact, with all due respect to Duran Duran, its a joke.

That's just a rock and roll hall of fame issue. Duran Duran are more deserving than a bunch of rap acts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

He doesn’t get talked about really at all when people talk about great bass players. He probably should though.

He absolutely should.  He's a terrific player.

There are a bunch of those 80's dance-pop bands that could really play.  It was largely the era before grid editing via ProTools, etc.  Duran Duran, INXS, Depeche Mode, the list goes on.  I didn't like much of it, but in hindsight, they were pros and they played pretty well.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

There are a bunch of those 80's dance-pop bands that could really play.  It was largely the era before grid editing via ProTools, etc.  Duran Duran, INXS, Depeche Mode, the list goes on.  I didn't like much of it, but in hindsight, they were pros and they played pretty well.

Yep. That isolated Rio clip I posted has more than a few mistakes that would be edited with software today, and it wouldn't sound as good. 

There's a clip where here discusses the evolution of Girls on Film, and talks about how he came uo with the bass parts and mentions he'd only been playing bass for a few months at that point. Just lots of natural talent in him. 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I’d absolutely add The Fixx to this list. They had some great way underrated shit.
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I’m in.

Some serious chord changes up on the neck with that thumb over. Wth is he playing there?

I don't know.

I'm not sure I've shared this story...

Early 70's. My dad was a hard drinking good ol' boy. One night he comes home later than he was supposed to, after a night out drinking. He always had valuable firearms that we was always willing to part with for the right price. Anyway, he comes to the door with some guy he met at the bar, who he was going to sell a gun to. My mom, with me and my sister in tow, greets him at the front door with her little Derringer in hand, and tells him "You were supposed to be home hours ago, you SOB. Get your long-haired drinking buddy out of here!"

Guy skedaddles.

That guy was Waylon Jennings. ,

True story.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

There's a great little movie about some kids in Dublin starting a band to impress a girl, Sing Street, with a bit of appreciation for the musicianship of Duran Duran. When the movie came out in 2016 first thought was it was about time they got credit for their songcraft.

John Taylor's autobiography, though, left a lot to be desired. He does well to document the fascinating times of the early days of Duran Duran's ascent, but I was there for the juicy bits about the members' relationships, especially with Simon or the early departures, and he glosses over almost every bit of that.

Regardless, Team Duran Duran.

27 minutes ago, BoomMF said:

There's a great little movie about some kids in Dublin starting a band to impress a girl, Sing Street, with a bit of appreciation for the musicianship of Duran Duran. When the movie came out in 2016 first thought was it was about time they got credit for their songcraft.

2CE84BEF-0686-44D8-A0BE-146DF350A2C9.thumb.jpeg.d78f64a79387e0dcc9e856be6c86d47f.jpeg

People who have seen “Sing Street” seem to love “Sing Street”.

9 hours ago, Deej said:

I don't know.

I'm not sure I've shared this story...

Early 70's. My dad was a hard drinking good ol' boy. One night he comes home later than he was supposed to, after a night out drinking. He always had valuable firearms that we was always willing to part with for the right price. Anyway, he comes to the door with some guy he met at the bar, who he was going to sell a gun to. My mom, with me and my sister in tow, greets him at the front door with her little Derringer in hand, and tells him "You were supposed to be home hours ago, you SOB. Get your long-haired drinking buddy out of here!"

Guy skedaddles.

That guy was Waylon Jennings. ,

True story.

This is awesome, Deej.

Thats an interesting and timely video. I've spent a lot of time developing bass lines recently. I almost posted here yeaterday to ask peoples approaches. That video is very insightful and speaks directly to where I'm at currently. When to play something straight vs when to swing it, when to play a line the same vs when to develope it into something else. Its what makes playing bass so fun.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

Yes, I believe it is. I saw a few seconds of video of Del, along with some other musicians I didn’t know. Covering Buffalo Springfield (For what it’s worth). The song itself wasn’t very good, but the solo on that little thing was nasty good.

On 5/14/2022 at 7:27 PM, Celery Man said:

This is the most enticing pedal design I have ever seen

Sweetwater

9CA03B79-39D3-47C9-9D05-B821F8B6A639.thumb.png.02aab45536ed6252d995c86831fb80fb.png

well now I'm torn. My latest excuse for guitar shopping was I wanted a semi hollow with a bigsby because I've never had one. Now you post this cool new pedal that takes that excuse away. 

I have a teaburst R8 that is really pretty wood, is super light and sounds glorious.  But I never really bonded with it because of the chunky neck.  It’s in mint condition.  

I’m mentioning that because it’s probably headed to Reverb in order to fund another purchase.  If anyone wants to do something financially irresponsible, I’ll try to entice you with a below-market price (avoiding Reverb fees will help).

I haven’t bought a guitar in several years, but I hope that I just broke that streak (hoping my offer will get accepted).   I have 24 hours to find out. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Paul Wesley said:

I have a teaburst R8 that is really pretty wood, is super light and sounds glorious.  But I never really bonded with it because of the chunky neck.  It’s in mint condition.  

I’m mentioning that because it’s probably headed to Reverb in order to fund another purchase.  If anyone wants to do something financially irresponsible, I’ll try to entice you with a below-market price (avoiding Reverb fees will help).

I haven’t bought a guitar in several years, but I hope that I just broke that streak (hoping my offer will get accepted).   I have 24 hours to find out. 

Whatcha aiming for?

11 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

Cant See Fran Healy GIF by Travis

• Haha 2

Selling my 2018 Les Paul R8 - True Historic specs.  Gloss teaburst.  Pretty perfect flame, and very light at 8.2 pounds.  Case still has the tags and all the case candy.

And yes, uploading these photos to sell it has me questioning my decision-making.  

IMG-4217.jpg

IMG-4213.jpg

IMG-4209.jpg

IMG-4213.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 7

If you search "2018 Les Paul R8" on Reverb, you'll get five hits, average asking price $5464... which would be close to 6K with tax and shipping. 

Those asking prices are a lot higher than I remember... Honest question:  did these things go up by a grand during the pandemic?  

If you search "2018 Les Paul R8" on Reverb, you'll get five hits, average asking price $5464... which would be close to 6K with tax and shipping. 
Those asking prices are a lot higher than I remember... Honest question:  did these things go up by a grand during the pandemic?  
I looked up the invoice for mine. I paid $4,100 all in for a new one that looks just like it in 2014, but if I recall they jacked up the prices significantly a year or 2 later. Mines Gloss Sunrise Teaburst and weighed 8lbs.
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

60th anniversary model may be part of the appreciation?  Edit:  also, Reverb usually shows recent sales data when you start a listing that’s probably a better indicator of real prices than unsold listings — especially if the unsold have been listed a long time.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

AUTF, that price lines up better with what I recall, though it's been 4 years.  Just to clarify, these *might* have gotten a boost in appreciation as 60th anniversary, but Gibson does not use that word anywhere on this guitar or its papers.

How's $3950 plus actual shipping?  If I take it to reverb, I'll probably ask something around $4400 (plus Reverb will hit you for another $300 in tax).

First dibs to the person who already PM'ed me with interest.  

Screen-Shot-2022-05-17-at-4-51-08-PM.png

• Hook 'Em 1