The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

these videos have been popping up for me recently, and are interesting. Minus the Bear was a big band for me 10-15 years ago. One of the more… cool shows I ever got to play was a 40 Acres Fest where we opened up for them, playing in front of the tower on the west mall. Our horns ran through two DL4 pedals in series and David was chatting them up afterwards. I never realized how solidly team PRS he is. But someone should buy the Wes Paul

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

It’s available.

I’m just gonna let this sit here through the weekend, if no takers then I’ll list it. I think it’s about $800 discount compared to what you’d pay online - subsidized by no sales tax (maybe $250), no website fees (5% of about $4500, credited to buyer rather than paying Reverb), and a few hundred (plus or minus a Benjamin) in Surly discount.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

It’s available.

I’m just gonna let this sit here through the weekend, if no takers then I’ll list it. I think it’s about $800 discount compared to what you’d pay online - subsidized by no sales tax (maybe $250), no website fees (5% of about $4500, credited to buyer rather than paying Reverb), and a few hundred (plus or minus a Benjamin) in Surly discount.  

That is a beauty, but I'm out.  

250100d8-5525-4257-a685-cb804c3aaa0e_tex

• Hook 'Em 1

Saw Blondie last night. Incredible show, but thats not the point.

I spent most of the show trying to capture a picture that accurately showed what was basically the SurlyCaster as I imagine it. It was the perfect dark orange sparkle, but in the lights its any where from dark red to bright orange. Double bound. Differences were a humbucker in the neck neck, rosewood fingerboard, reversed headstock, and painted headstock and it appeared that the whole neck was painted to match as well. I wonder if Warmoth will paint a headstock to match?.

The guy was an incredible player. Tommy Kessler. Phenomenal. I kept thinking he sounded like Randy Rhodes, I looked him up when I got home and sure enough, RR is listed as one of his main influences. Been in Blondie since 2010 and is involved in all sorts of stuff aroind New York. Total pro. For a few songs he played a Steve Vai style Ibanez and completely destroyed it. Played the sparkle Jaguar style with bound neck for a couple songs, but mot of the show was with the SurlyCaster. His Wiki page led to me to his own site where I see he does online lessons for $45/half hr. Damn. Reminds me of that one Tom T Hall line about guitar playing, ain't no money in it. 20220517_213202.jpg20220517_221008.jpg20220517_213826.jpg20220517_215731.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

AUTF, that price lines up better with what I recall, though it's been 4 years.  Just to clarify, these *might* have gotten a boost in appreciation as 60th anniversary, but Gibson does not use that word anywhere on this guitar or its papers.

How's $3950 plus actual shipping?  If I take it to reverb, I'll probably ask something around $4400 (plus Reverb will hit you for another $300 in tax).

First dibs to the person who already PM'ed me with interest.  

Screen-Shot-2022-05-17-at-4-51-08-PM.png

3B6B21C5-029E-4722-9543-0F213910D5E0.gif.cd9c63eb244330a500a8252be3803539.gif

Saw Blondie last night. Incredible show, but thats not the point.

I spent most of the show trying to capture a picture that accurately showed what was basically the SurlyCaster as I imagine it. It was the perfect dark orange sparkle, but in the lights its any where from dark red to bright orange. Double bound. Differences were a humbucker in the neck neck, rosewood fingerboard, reversed headstock, and painted headstock and it appeared that the whole neck was painted to match as well. I wonder if Warmoth will paint a headstock to match?.

The guy was an incredible player. Tommy Kessler. Phenomenal. I kept thinking he sounded like Randy Rhodes, I looked him up when I got home and sure enough, RR is listed as one of his main influences. Been in Blondie since 2010 and is involved in all sorts of stuff aroind New York. Total pro. For a few songs he played a Steve Vai style Ibanez and completely destroyed it. Played the sparkle Jaguar style with bound neck for a couple songs, but mot of the show was with the SurlyCaster. His Wiki page led to me to his own site where I see he does online lessons for $45/half hr. Damn. Reminds me of that one Tom T Hall line about guitar playing, ain't no money in it. 20220517_213202.thumb.jpg.07ccf0ec73169818d0025620269ccb0a.jpg20220517_221008.thumb.jpg.45df7d8903c9c49ea1c531e902f6f21a.jpg20220517_213826.thumb.jpg.4a428837b5e89d3246166c08ad8ace92.jpg20220517_215731.thumb.jpg.43bc3e464693fa4e25ad9af7c107050d.jpg

How’d that Soldano sound?

Incredible, and surprisingly so since the show was in my least favorite venue in San Francisco because I've never heard a band sound good there. The Damned opened and sounded terrible, but Blondie and that Solano sounded great. The other guitarist was running a Marshall head through the other half of that Soldano cabinet stack. He was great in his own right, but this guy was a whole other level.

46 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:
51 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Incredible, and surprisingly so since the show was in my least favorite venue in San Francisco because I've never heard a band sound good there. The Damned opened and sounded terrible, but Blondie and that Solano sounded great. The other guitarist was running a Marshall head through the other half of that Soldano cabinet stack. He was great in his own right, but this guy was a whole other level.

I'm going to be that guy.  I love the way Soldanos sound.  But I really, really dislike the way the logo looks and the fact that they all seem to have crazy colored snakeskin covering.  It's a very dated, 80s metal look, which to me, is a very narrow subset of the buying public.  Anyhow, old man rant at clouds over. 

All said, I'd give my left nut to find a Lucky 13 at a decent price.

• Like 1

In a quest to find a 25.5” scale length Les Paul killer, I went and played this Twisted Telecaster today at Austin Vintage Guitar.  Felt fine, but I did not like it’s tone through several amps.  Didn’t sound as good as a Les Paul or a Tele.  Just meh.  I liked the sound of a significantly cheaper Vintera Tele Deluxe a lot better, but didn’t care for the thickish neck.  No love connection today.

0B2FD92F-B5F2-4326-9F67-40EE091DA683.jpeg

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Goredho said:

In a quest to find a 25.5” scale length Les Paul killer, I went and played this Twisted Telecaster today at Austin Vintage Guitar.  Felt fine, but I did not like it’s tone through several amps.  Didn’t sound as good as a Les Paul or a Tele.  Just meh.  I liked the sound of a significantly cheaper Vintera Tele Deluxe a lot better, but didn’t care for the thickish neck.  No love connection today.

0B2FD92F-B5F2-4326-9F67-40EE091DA683.jpeg

So I assume that's the humbucker version of the twisted tele pickups?  I had them (single coil variety) on my 52 AV tele and swapped them for a pair of nocasters.  Twisted neck pickup is too stratty.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dcbc said:
5 hours ago, Goredho said:

So I assume that's the humbucker version of the twisted tele pickups?  I had them (single coil variety) on my 52 AV tele and swapped them for a pair of nocasters.  Twisted neck pickup is too stratty.

I mispoke, its called a "Troublemaker Telecaster" and  I've always heard of their pickups being referred to as "wide range humbuckers".  This article praises them, but I didn't like these through the amps I tried.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I mispoke, its called a "Troublemaker Telecaster" and  I've always heard of their pickups being referred to as "wide range humbuckers".  This article praises them, but I didn't like these through the amps I tried.

I've never owned one, but I think the answer to a 25.5" Scale LP killer is a regular old tele with a humbucker in the neck position.  That said, while I love teles (I own 3), none of them feel like or as forgiving to play as my Les Paul.

Edited by dcbc

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't know if I'm proud or ashamed that I'm such a lousy guitar player that scale length means nothing to me.

3 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I played Les pauls and strats for 25 years before I even knew there was a difference.

I've heard other people say similar things.  I am going to bet if we held up hands, my fingers would be shorter and fatter than yours.  Above fret 14 on a Gibson scale length guitar, I struggle to keep my finger pads from straddling frets and muting notes.  I don't with my fenders and 25.5" reverend.  Maybe it is conditioning and play time with the fender scale length.  Maybe its psychological, I dunno.  It can't be more than a mm or two per note difference, but I just play the longer fender scale length more accurately higher up the neck where the frets get scrunched.  So I'm just looking for a guitar that feels like a fender in my hands up and down the neck but sounds somewhat like a vintage LP through my amps.

18 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I've never owned one, but I think the answer to a 25.5" Scale LP killer is a regular old tele with a humbucker in the neck position.  That said, while I love teles (I own 3), none of them feel like or as forgiving to play as my Les Paul.

Not a bad idea, but I am probably looking at this next.  I like the Allman Brothers-esque tone he's getting out of this and it would be vintage Gibson enough for me.

What's a "fret 14"?

In all seriousness, I play electric like I play acoustic.  Tons of open chords and lower-fret partials.  As a rhythm player, I work in that AC/DC realm, although I don't play any covers (save one my old band did).  Maybe that's why scale means nothing to me, I never get to the part of the neck where it reveals itself.

Upside:  fret jobs don't need to go past 8 or so.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

What's a "fret 14"?

In all seriousness, I play electric like I play acoustic.  Tons of open chords and lower-fret partials.  As a rhythm player, I work in that AC/DC realm, although I don't play any covers (save one my old band did).  Maybe that's why scale means nothing to me, I never get to the part of the neck where it reveals itself.

Upside:  fret jobs don't need to go past 8 or so.

Yeah, I don’t experience issues playing in that area of the neck, and one option is I just keep my R8 and only use it for recording contexts where I want that sound but the upper third of the fretboard isn’t in play.  But at that point it will have become a niche guitar for me, and I can’t mentally justify having R8 money tied up in a niche guitar.

8 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I played Les pauls and strats for 25 years before I even knew there was a difference.

Same.  I think the 2010 Trey Anastasio rig rundown was when I first considered it as being among the reasons certain guitars played and sounded a certain way.

Hurry and buy now. Just got this email from Sweetwater.

Matt, your sales engineer here. I rarely send emails like this, but I wanted to send this note out to all my guitarist customers. Heads up - both Gibson and PRS are expecting a significant price hike due to the continued supply chain challenges. We don't know exactly how much prices will increase, but we expect it to be 15% or higher, PRS price changes go into effect on May 24th, and Gibsons price changes (including Epiphone) go into effect on June 1st. This will affect all products from both brands. After seeing these two mammoth brands finally raise prices, the rest of the brands will follow suit.

• Hook 'Em 1

I can't and don't think of my guitars as investments because I've literally never sold one, but given that I absolutely do get value out of them and given that they hold their monetary value, it's not hard to justify why i wouldn't really be spending money if I added another neck to the rack.

• Like 1

Thats the right mindset. I dont buy a guitar with the idea ill sell it down the road, but its peace of mind when purchasing one. I realized it after I bought my SG Standard new in about 2006 for like $899 and within 5 years Gibson was asking over $1100 for them, making mine worth what I paid for it. I still have it.

I've posted about my friend who owns about 85 high end guitars. He said he'd sell them to finance vacations when he retired. He's been retired about 8 years now and the only time he sells one is to finance buying another. Good for him. Hope im as fortunate one day.

• Like 1

Went to a shop in birmingham mi called detroit guitar. They wouldn’t allow pictures for security reasons (they don’t deal in vintage only a special client Base when they do get one). They had a 58 strat all original. It was sunburst and wow I wanted it. But $35,000. Maybe I’ll sell my collection and buy 1 $50k vintage guitar 

On there are deals to be out there front, my 16 year old just bought a 1989 American Standard Strat for $950.  I think it has some wear, but I've long sung the praises of this era (1987--early 1990) as some of the best guitars they made.  Very under the radar period for Fender.  It should be here this afternoon.  I'll snap some picks if I can pry it out of his hands.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Fuck that shop on general principle for not allowing pictures

I collect firearms, and I recently walked into two different shops that enforced the same policy. 
I asked why, and the owners tell me they have a fear of people knowing their specific inventory, and the simply idea that you’re casing the joint. Taking pictures of doors, hallways, etc is verboten.