The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I had an S6 deluxe for years and years.  Hell, I might still have it -- need to dig around closets.  Very good guitar for the money.  Mine had the classic spruce top.  it eventually became the "beater" guitar once I picked up better options (Taylor, Guild).  It went on campouts, fell in a lake (long story), and just kept on ticking.

• Like 1

Yea been playing around with it a bit this morning. It’s definitely entry level but should make for a very nice campfire guitar.

My buddy who had the party is also a player. We lament all the time that these signed guitars are usually total hunks of junk that you can’t even play. So he bought the Seagull for Roger to sign. I thought it was a good move so I wine the auction.

RC was playing a sweet Gibson.

65d5d88e38480c98df42f4b3b1d47ac4.jpg

• Like 1

I picked up a Seagull Maritime SWS concert just before Christmas. I wanted something smaller than a full dread. It's just a really great guitar. I don't think it even needs the "for the money" qualifier. Of course, a high dollar Martin or Taylor would still sound crappy if it is me playing it. 

Dad has expressed interest in a new guitar given my interest.  He has an old Harmony acoustic that was a hand me down.  I want to get him a really nice acoustic within reason.  ~1k and a name (Martin, Guild, Taylor, Gibson).  Is that possible?  I know Martin has some that are made in Mexico.  What do y'all suggest?

I think the first breakpoint on the really nice guitar spectrum is all wood vs laminate material. At least to my ears I can hear a pretty big jump in tone going from laminate to all wood.

I’m mostly familiar with Taylor’s. Their series are named from 1-9, with 1 series guitars being the least expensive and 9 series being the most expensive. I think the 3 series is the first non-laminate. I have a Taylor 316 that I bought last year for $1900. This morning I a/b’d it with the new Seagull posted above. The Seagull is indeed a nice $500 guitar but the tone of the all wood Taylor really is on a whole different level and it’s pretty stark when you compare them back to back.

The point of all this is that imo if you want to get a really nice acoustic, try to get a non-laminate, all wood one. I’m not as familiar with the other brands, but my guess is that might be a little more than the $1k budget, but probably really worth it.

Others here will probably have more info.

• Like 1

Unless you are stuck on those brands, I would seriously look at Seagull. The SWS I discussed above is all solid wood (SWS-solid wood series) - spruce top, mahogany back, sides and neck.  Sweetwater has them for $899 list. I asked if they could do a little better and they came back at $700. I honestly don't know how they offer an all solid wood guitar made in Canada at that price. If you really wanted to go higher, you could step up to their artist series. 

• Like 1

I bought my Taylor 310 for $900 new with a hard shell case.  That was probably 17 years ago, but I doubt it's impossible to get near that price now.

I completely agree about build -- look for solid wood construction.  I'd consider Taylor, Guild, Breedlove, Alvarez, maybe Yamaha, and no doubt many others.  The nice thing about Taylors is that their higher price points are mostly just because of more expensive wood (which is not necessarily better) and/or more decorative bits.

• Like 1

Dad has expressed interest in a new guitar given my interest.  He has an old Harmony acoustic that was a hand me down.  I want to get him a really nice acoustic within reason.  ~1k and a name (Martin, Guild, Taylor, Gibson).  Is that possible?  I know Martin has some that are made in Mexico.  What do y'all suggest?

This is what I have. They only made them for one year and they were $1100 new. This is the only one for sale on Reverb, they don’t come around often.

Breedlove American Series C25/SME acoustic/electric with deluxe case https://reverb.com/item/17932985-breedlove-american-series-c25-sme-acoustic-electric-with-deluxe-case?utm_source=ios-app&utm_medium=share

I like it better than my Taylor 414CE that I think I paid $1800 for.
  • Like 1

I was just wondering when Ibanez would finally come up with a few new models.

Ibanez is set to take NAMM 2019 by storm with over 40 new models in the offing. The Japanese brand’s huge line-up includes a new Axion Line and signature models, additions to its RG, ART, and Hollow Body lines, as well as fresh updates to its acoustic and bass categories.

Just to show a few (I'm leaving out the seven string models).

ibanez-rga60al@1400x560.jpg

This ash-bodied guitar is loaded with Bare Knuckle Aftermath humbuckers at the neck and bridge. It also sports an Edge-Zero II tremolo bridge, and is decked out in an arresting Antique Brown Stained Low Gloss finish.

ibanez-rga61al@1400x560.jpg

This quirky model features a nyatoh body with a flamed maple top. In terms of electronics, the instrument is armed with Bare Knuckle Aftermath humbuckers at the neck and bridge positions. Hardware appointments include a Gibraltar Standard II bridge, while the guitar comes n a snazzy Indigo Aurora Burst Flat finish.

ibanez-rgd61alms@1400x560.jpg

This sleek six-string has a layered ash and nyatoh body with a flamed maple top. Tone comes by way of two ceramic-based Fishman Fluence Modern Humbuckers that slot in at the neck and the bridge, respectively. Elsewhere, the axe sports a mono-rail bridge and black hardware, as well as an alluring Cerulean Blue Burst Low Gloss finish.

ibanez-s61al@1400x560.jpg

There are two models in this category: the S61AL and its seven-string cousin, the S71AL.

Both feature nyatoh bodies with flamed maple tops, as well as Fishman Fluence Modern humbuckers (ceramic) at the neck and bridge positions. They also sport similar bridges: Gibraltar Standard II for the S61AL and Gibraltar Standard II-7 for the S71AL.

Both guitars are available in a Black Mirage Gradation Low Gloss finish.

-----------

Now if I absolutely positively needed a shredder guitar, these would be strong contenders. The Signature / Player models.

ibanez-mario-camarena-mar10@1400x560.jpg

Mario Camarena MAR10

The math rock guitar-slinger, who plays in Chon, gets a HSS guitar with three Seymour Duncan pickups: a Hyperion single-coil in the neck and middle positions, and a Hyperion humbucker at the bridge. It has an American basswood body, an AZ Oval C roasted maple neck, a 12-inch-radius roasted maple fretboard, and a beautiful Lavender Metallic Matte finish.

ibanez-steve-vai-jem7bp@1400x560.jpg

Steve Vai JEM7VP

The JEM7VP is Ibanez’s ninth signature model for legendary guitarist. This stunning piece features an alder body, a Wizard five-piece maple and walnut neck, and an ebony fretboard that bears an etched Tree of Life inlay.

The axe is outfitted with a set of DiMarzio pups in a unique HSH configuration. Two Evolution humbuckers feature at the neck and bridge, while an Evolution single-coil takes its place in the middle. Rounding off the guitar’s features are an Edge tremolo bridge and gold hardware.

ibanez-joe-satriani-js1cr@1400x560.jpg

Joe Satriani JS1CR

The chrome-covered JS1CR is also the ninth Ibanez signature model for Joe Satriani. It features an alder body, a JS three-piece maple and bubinga neck, and a 9.84-inch-radius rosewood fretboard. Satch opted for a simpler pickup configuration than his G3 collaborator: a Sustainiac Driver single-coil at the neck and a DiMarzio Satchur8 humbucker at the bridge.

-----

Interestingly, with some exceptions (like the Satriani beast), most of these are under $2,000.00.

Edited by Grandioso
  • Like 1

I owned an Ibanez electric in the late 80s.  It was a somewhat lower-end model, but still had that shredder look, without the stupidity of a Jackson.  The crazy thing was, it was a GORGEOUS guitar.  Sort of a blood red translucent color that really let the nice grain show, with a gloss overcoat.  It wasn't really my kind of guitar, but I dug the wide flat neck, and it really was quite well made.  I think I paid something like $600 for it new, so it obviously wasn't their best effort, but I really enjoyed playing it.  Take it on stage?  No way.

47 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Celery - if that was your only nice acoustic would you want a brighter spruce top vs the mahogany?

I've thought about that.  Or, more accurately, I've thought if I might also like a spruce topped OOO-15.

If I had one acoustic, I'd want a spruce topped dreadnought.  Probably a D-28 or a D-18, maybe a J45 if the right one spoke to me (if I had to pick from my lineup of guitars it would be my HD-28, although I love my J45 also, and actually it'd be the D-41 but I assume cash plays no role in this question).  I leave Taylor off the list for partially the same reason I'd want a dreadnought - I like things that are classic/standard/"the one".  It wasn't really on purpose but it's not a mistake that i have a sunburst strat, a blonde/black tele, and a cherry sunburst Les Paul.  And the classic American acoustic guitar is a dreadnought Martin.  Or a Gibson.

One of the many reasons I play my OOO15M all the time is because it is comfortable to hold and play.  It asks to be played.  On the couch, in my big leather chair, without a strap as I just pinch it under my arm standing up - it's accessible.

It's also classic in its own right (kinda, I think these are oo17 and o17, respectively.  but 'hog martin)

13093525.jpg

Woody-Guthrie-O-15-mahogany-400-307x400.

i loved Steve Earle's guitar in Treme

7264238-3x2-700x467.jpg

Cost comes into play as well - I think the Mahogany Martins are a great deal for an honest to God Martin built in Nazareth for a shade over $1k or about that used.  If I had a budget of that amount for a single guitar, it's the guitar I would want over a Mexican Martin or something else.

But it is a mahogany topped guitar, which means it is warmer/less bright and has a bit less projection than a spruce topped guitar.  I'd like to A/B my OOO15M with AUTF's Martin and hear both the difference in volume and brightness.

For tigol's dad, it would be interesting to know if he has any acoustic guitar heroes or plays in any kind of style.

I should also say that I do have a "road series" Martin DM that is a great guitar and compares well to my fancy Martins.  But it is a '96 DM from when they were made in Nazareth, and employed fewer cost cutting measures.  I'm sure the hecho in Mexico Martins are good and fine.  Many of them you can feel or readily observe a difference in the materials and finish, but I don't know enough about them now to judge them broadly in comparison to the pro models.

tl;dr - no but maybe kinda.  also different answer - of the ones I have (and if you don't count the d-41 DM and hd-28 as basically the same guitar) it is the one I would buy again in order to have two.

Oh, you thought I was done?

ibanez-rg5120m@1400x560.jpg

This axe features an African mahogany body with an ash top, and a Super Wizard HP neck that’s built from a five-piece maple and wenge combination. It also comes with a 17-inch-radius bound birdseye maple fretboard that’s adorned with offset mother of pearl dot inlays.

The RG5120M is loaded with Fishman Fluence Modern Humbuckers that slot in at the neck, rounding off its look is a Lo-Pro Edge tremolo bridge and a neat Frozen Ocean finish.

VERDICT: Cool

ibanez-rg5220m@1400x560.jpg

The RG5220M shares the same tonewood, neck and hardware appointments as the RG5120M. Unique to this guitar is a pair of Bare Knuckle Brute Force humbuckers that produce a deep, saturated tone. With its eye-catching Transparent Fluorescent Green finish, it’s a guaranteed head-turner.

VERDICT: Cool

ibanez-am93me@1400x560.jpg

The sole entrant to Ibanez’s AM series uses Macassar ebony for its body, top and sides, and comes with an AM Expressionist set-in neck made from a three-piece nyatoh and maple combination. Additionally, the guitar is fitted with a bound 12-inch-radius ebony fretboard with regal-looking block inlays.

Tone comes by way of two Ibanez Super 58 humbuckers that deliver a warm, balanced tone with excellent response. Gold hardware, an ART-1 bridge with a Quik Change III, and a natural finish cap off the model’s smart look.

VERDICT: Creative, but Ibanez just can't make a decent hollow body. They're cheaply made and unimpressive in my experience. I bought a high end Gretsch once and the dude just gave me an Ibanez hollow body to take back home with me. I didn't ask for it, can't even remember the model, and played it maybe 10 times. I eventually sold it to a friend's little bro for $100 as a starter guitar and felt guilty for charging that much.

ibanez-rgir9fme@1400x560.jpg

RGIR9FME

This nine-string behemoth features a nyatoh body with a flamed maple top, and a five-piece maple-and-walnut Nitro Wizard neck. To accommodate all its strings, this unusual instrument has a 37.4-inch-radius jatoba fretboard. Sonic appointments include EMG 909 humbuckers, while hardware components consist of a sturdy Gibraltar Standard II bridge.

VERDICT: No, sir. I just watched about 10 youtube videos of people playing 9 string guitars and they were insufferable. It's possibly the only guitar ever developed that can under no circumstances whatsoever make a woman horny.

Edited by Grandioso
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I've thought about that.  Or, more accurately, I've thought if I might also like a spruce topped OOO-15.

If I had one acoustic, I'd want a spruce topped dreadnought.  Probably a D-28 or a D-18, maybe a J45 if the right one spoke to me (if I had to pick from my lineup of guitars it would be my HD-28, although I love my J45 also, and actually it'd be the D-41 but I assume cash plays no role in this question).  I leave Taylor off the list for partially the same reason I'd want a dreadnought - I like things that are classic/standard/"the one".  It wasn't really on purpose but it's not a mistake that i have a sunburst strat, a blonde/black tele, and a cherry sunburst Les Paul.  And the classic American acoustic guitar is a dreadnought Martin.  Or a Gibson.

One of the many reasons I play my OOO15M all the time is because it is comfortable to hold and play.  It asks to be played.  On the couch, in my big leather chair, without a strap as I just pinch it under my arm standing up - it's accessible.

It's also classic in its own right (kinda, I think these are oo17 and o17, respectively.  but 'hog martin)

13093525.jpg

Woody-Guthrie-O-15-mahogany-400-307x400.

i loved Steve Earle's guitar in Treme

7264238-3x2-700x467.jpg

Cost comes into play as well - I think the Mahogany Martins are a great deal for an honest to God Martin built in Nazareth for a shade over $1k or about that used.  If I had a budget of that amount for a single guitar, it's the guitar I would want over a Mexican Martin or something else.

But it is a mahogany topped guitar, which means it is warmer/less bright and has a bit less projection than a spruce topped guitar.  I'd like to A/B my OOO15M with AUTF's Martin and hear both the difference in volume and brightness.

For tigol's dad, it would be interesting to know if he has any acoustic guitar heroes or plays in any kind of style.

I should also say that I do have a "road series" Martin DM that is a great guitar and compares well to my fancy Martins.  But it is a '96 DM from when they were made in Nazareth, and employed fewer cost cutting measures.  I'm sure the hecho in Mexico Martins are good and fine.  Many of them you can feel or readily observe a difference in the materials and finish, but I don't know enough about them now to judge them broadly in comparison to the pro models.

tl;dr - no but maybe kinda.  also different answer - of the ones I have (and if you don't count the d-41 DM and hd-28 as basically the same guitar) it is the one I would buy again in order to have two.

Re:  Dad.  This is a song I remember him picking when I was a kid.  

• Like 1

Ok, so these things are 90% identical.

p_region_RGD61ALMS_CLL_1P_01.png?_size=1

p_region_RGD71ALMS_BAM_1P_01.png?_size=1

DIfferences are:

# of strings; slight neck variance but only on the fretboard at the nut and bridge (and not the radius or modern C-ish curve; top/back/body material; and finish

Otherwise: this is all identical - 5pc Panga Panga/Walnut neck; Macassar Ebony fretboardWhite Step off-set dot inlay; Jumbo Sub Zero treated frets (24); Mono-rail bridge; identical neck and bridge pickups and switching system; hardware and color; nut; both also have Fishman® Fluence Voicing switch on volume control (push/pull); Luminescent side dot inlay; Schaller S-Locks strap lock pins; Luminescent Ibanez logo

So just take off that seventh string, and this would be my ultimate shredmaster:

p_region_RGD71ALMS_BAM_1P_01.png

p_region_RGD71ALMS_BAM_1P_01_sub_1.jpg

The color is called "Black Aurora Burst Matte," but it looks like one of those tricked out chameleon paint jobs.

Glowing dots. Why the fuck not...

feat_Luminescentsidedotinlay.jpg

The luminescent side dot inlays make it easy for players to perform on dark stages, matching the dazzling luminescent Ibanez headstock logo.

ibanez-rga71al-iaf-rga-axion-label-7-str

p_region_RGD71ALMS_BAM_1P_01_sub_2.jpg

ibanez-rgd71alms-bam-rgd-axion-label-mul

Watch the whole thing but this shit starts at 0:36. All these Axion style Ibanez guitars have pretty much the same shit. GOOD SHIT I might add. 

I Don't know what multitune is, but I guess I need to fix that. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Grandioso said:

ibanez-rg5120m@1400x560.jpg

I still have my RG550 that I bought sometime around 1990.  Has this color scheme, except with blue mirrored pick guard (because it rocks, people) and a single-coil pickup in between the humbuckers.  

Last year I dug it out, adjusted the floating tremolo, and restrung it.  

I gotta say:  I still dig a wide maple neck, and it sounds pretty great.  

That's two completely different directions so it depends if you need a good electric or accoustic at this point.

As the owner of a Hummingbird, I will say that if I only had one high-end acoustic it would be a Martin. I love my Hummingbird, it had a clean, dry tone that fills a space most guitars can't. If I could only keep one guitar though it would be my Martin 000-28. The Martin is so rich sounding, the overtones are so incredible that I sometimes pick notes just to try to hear them all. It has a lot of "character". The Taylor I sold to buy it sounded nice and had a balance in its tone that's hard to define, but it lacked that character I love in the Martins. It was almost too homogenized sounding. It sounded great strumming along to the standards, but I couldnt really milk any real heartache out of it when playing the blues. The Martin will make me wanna cry. My friend has a HD-28 with VTS that sounds and plays just as incredible as my triple ought, but it's louder.

The D28 / HD28 is the flagship guitar, the deadnaught equal to a Hummingbird, but I don't think I'd trade my 000-28 for one. Like CeleryMans 000-17m, the smaller bodied guitar just sits there and begs you to play it. It's real comfortable when just sitting on the couch watching TV and it's the 1st thing I reach for when I have a song idea, even if it's an electric guitar part in my head, or hear a song I want to work out. I can play it quietly enough to not wake the neighbors in my apartment late at night, but I can make it loud enough to play alongside my friends HD28, or a friend over playing my Hummingbird when needed.

• Like 1

Why gold top instead of a modern miracle?

3k will get you a killer used late model Les Paul Standard High Performance, with a chunk of change left over. There's a 2018 HP in heritage cherry fade on eBay right now from Sam Ash, or something, for $2300, complete with crazy aluminum HSC. It can do gold top until the cow's come home.

Unless this is one of those the-heart-wants-what-the-heart-wants kind of things. In which case, rock on cause I know you have to scratch that itch or it will fester.

a) I actually googled les paul golf top and google was like "you mean gold top?".  Right.

b) really my next expensive guitar should be a Martin OOO-28 like AUTF has.  I feel like if I can get past the wedding and the honeymoon, and I actually get the bonus I'm supposed to get, and I'm not back to zero, I could maybe do a thing.

Bogey - do you have a good acoustic?  The guitars that I can recall that you have are the hendrix strat, a PRS, maybe... a noel gallagher epi?  I feel like you had a few artist guitars.  As a person who likes finishing collections, I feel like you would need the ultimate artist model (a Gibson Les Paul).  However, if you don't have a good acoustic, you need an acoustic.  You like flashy guitars (and there is not anything wrong with that) and I can see how a Hummingbird would be appealing to you.  I'd like one in my stable as well.  I don't know if I've ever sat down with a real one (not one of those cheap epi ones).  Would be interesting - they have broad shoulders.  Just some acoustics next to each other to show slightly different dreadnought shapes (in the shoulders).  Hummingbird, J45, HD28

Hummingbird-Red-Spruce.jpg

Gibson-J45-Standard.jpg

Martin-HD-28-Acoustic-Guitar-With-Gold-P

I think Gibson acoustics are really cool and have a certain je ne sais quoi.  But also echo what AUTF says about Martins, which are perfect.

On 1/12/2019 at 10:45 PM, Grandioso said:

Found a partial family photo. 

ibanez-rg-1024x372.png

5, 3, 8, 1, 2, 7, 10, 12, 11, 15, 18, 9, 4, 14, 17, 16, 13, 6

I love a good neon "fuck you yellow" on a good shredder guitar. 

MAN, FUCK THIS SHIT. That photo of all the Ibanezeses was awesome.

Oh well. Here are some exclusive Chicago Music Eschange SGs. Sort of want. CME gets so much cool special runs and one-offs.

oo4bertetozco783nme0.gif

My faves:

Coral

esfi2alxt7upj3pnj3zf.jpg

Olive Drab

bcfjvnvspy7j3bynjiki.jpg

Walnut

x2xre9ptiwwgdsisbr2u.jpg

Gretch custom shop ‘59 Bonneville Duo Jet

ec0e1065a3ea9d46261771be631ab48c.jpg

I’m a very basic guitar fan, I like blonde tele’s, sunburst strats, black or red SG’s, cheryburst, black or gold tip LP’s and that’s usually it color wise but I fell I love with this blue gretch. That and the chrome just make it a work of art to me.

8 hours ago, Celery Man said:

a) I actually googled les paul golf top and google was like "you mean gold top?".  Right.

b) really my next expensive guitar should be a Martin OOO-28 like AUTF has.  I feel like if I can get past the wedding and the honeymoon, and I actually get the bonus I'm supposed to get, and I'm not back to zero, I could maybe do a thing.

Bogey - do you have a good acoustic?  The guitars that I can recall that you have are the hendrix strat, a PRS, maybe... a noel gallagher epi?  I feel like you had a few artist guitars.  As a person who likes finishing collections, I feel like you would need the ultimate artist model (a Gibson Les Paul).  However, if you don't have a good acoustic, you need an acoustic.  You like flashy guitars (and there is not anything wrong with that) and I can see how a Hummingbird would be appealing to you.  I'd like one in my stable as well.  I don't know if I've ever sat down with a real one (not one of those cheap epi ones).  Would be interesting - they have broad shoulders.  Just some acoustics next to each other to show slightly different dreadnought shapes (in the shoulders).  Hummingbird, J45, HD28

Hummingbird-Red-Spruce.jpg

Gibson-J45-Standard.jpg

Martin-HD-28-Acoustic-Guitar-With-Gold-P

I think Gibson acoustics are really cool and have a certain je ne sais quoi.  But also echo what AUTF says about Martins, which are perfect.

LMAO golf top what a idiot I am.  I don't have a high end acoustic and am not a huge fan of the dry sound of a martin. i like a brighter sounding acoustic that's why i was looking at a hummingbird or a hummingbird pro (they are called Gibson studios now).  i have a lot of electrics but only 3 acoustics (a washburn, a Ibanez, and a old 32 martin).  This is a tough choice because ive always wanted a Gold Top

I've been putting off putting putting strap locks on my guitars...especially the LP.  Something about replacing the original equipment on that guitar freaks me out.  Until now, I've just been using the Grolsch type washers over the strap.  This worked fine as long as I could just leave the strap on the guitar in the rack but I have to put it in the case to take to practice, I have to take the strap off.  Pain in the ass.  So.....I'm looking for strap lock recommendations.

Anyone use them?  Is one better than the others?  Any to definitely stay away from?  I want to put the same brand on my Tele and the LP.  

Edited by hullabelew

Along those lines, we had our first practice yesterday.  I only knew the bass player.  Had never met the drummer or the singer.  Singer ended up getting the flu, so he bailed, but the 3 of us got together for about 3 hours...it felt like 10 minutes.  Honestly, it couldn't have gone better.   I am easily the weak link this group, but I can follow along with just about anything and given time, I can get the solos down.   At the end, I thanked them for inviting me to sit in with them.  They both said, "Are you kidding?  Your in the band".

We are starting out kind of focusing on Elvis/Jazz/Blues stuff, but we nailed the song in the youtube clip on the first try, so that gives you an idea of what we are trying to do.  

Other songs we worked up all went well except for one.  (Stray Cat Strut....gotta lot of work on the solo parts)

Ain't No Sunshine (Bill Withers)  - We nailed this as well.  
All of Me (Willie's Version)
Burning Love (Jazzing Elvis)
You Got It (Orbison)
Suspicious Minds (Elvis/Fine Young Cannibals mix)
The Way You Look Tonight (see below)
Stray Cat Strut

Right now, our goal is to play a few open mic places to see where that takes us.  We are going out this week to check out a couple of places to see how we stack up.  The bass player said, "I always bitch about getting older, but the one thing I love about being my age is my 'Give A Fuck' is broken.  I'm just here to have fun". 

• Like 3