The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Where can one find that awesome green strat for sale? I spent 30 seconds on their website and didn’t see that color available.

Is this the same guitar? If so, it’s a Fender Special Run so you won’t see it on Fender’s site. It looks a little lighter in the pics at the link below. 

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/listing/fender-fsr-player-stratocaster-electron-green-pre-order/27735624

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Where can one find that awesome green strat for sale? I spent 30 seconds on their website and didn’t see that color available.

If it's that electric lime green one, it's at Austin Vintage Guitars. They Instagrammed that pic yesterday. 

Edited by Deej

If anybody is gonna be cruising through Temple, I saw this really nice looking Epi Les Paul on sale for a very nice price, $215 as of mid October, according to the tag. This is a 2007 G400, neck thru body, grover tuners. Looked near mint, really pretty, action was shit but I think it just needs a good setup. I ain't gonna do it after recently getting a similar Les Paul in black not long ago for $60.

pawnlespaul

Ok boys. Got an offer on an even up swap for my Les Paul. I was going to sell it, buy a better PA for our practice space then pic up a new guitar......prob a Mex Strat or Gretsch. Then this dude offers this guitar on an even trade.

WWAD. (What Would Assholes Do)

Oh, it also has a $200 Tsa Fender case.

a2cebf40b1881f6391dff65acc49c6d5.jpg9e473102808d860b150160d2b72951f6.jpg48535eb549b4a56285e7c0e6a01a86fc.jpg

Just now, Chad Fuck said:

Once you’ve played compound radius you’ll never go back. So much better on the higher notes. Easier to bend, etc.

Good looking guitar.

Dammit.  I knew I was coming to the wrong place.  You guys are supposed to talk me out of it.   I knew better.  

Hell, I figure I can sell the case for what it's worth and swap the guitar later if I don't like it.  

46 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

wayne at Sweetwater knows I want a gold top so he sent me this demo. Has some scratches on back that I can’t even see. Thoughts?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPS5PGTNH--gibson-les-paul-standard-50s-gold-top?cond=LPS5PGTNHd10

The standard 60’s I bought right after Deej got his was a Sweetwater demo.  Had been returned for a scratch I could not see without magnification.  I’ve already put more significant wear on it during the 3 months or so that I’ve owned it.

So I got an essentially brand new guitar at a used price point and couldn’t be happier.  Your rep should be offering you less than what is listed on their website for the demo, at least that’s how it worked out for me.  I can PM you the percentage discount vs new price if you want to see how good a deal they are offering you.

Edit:  for reference.  They were very up front about it being a return, why and included pics of the blemishes.

E699-F16-A-D433-4604-BAFC-D0-CE83577-F44

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

Hulla your les Paul is a better guitar than that strat imo. And I love strats.

Also, I have a compound radius necks in two guitars. I like them. But not near as well as my regular old strat, tele, and Les Paul necks, all of which have had big ass frets installed. Big frets are better for bending than a flat radius imo. But ymmv.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

Sweetwater reps are such pushers.

Gold tops need P90's, IMO. 

Ah...good point but the buckers are not much less glorious.

"In sales terminology, a whale is pretty much just what it sounds like – it's a prospect that's at least 10 times larger than your average sale. ..." 

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm with tbone, I wouldn't do it.  You're trading down.  At the very least have him throw in some cash.

I'm kind of going along with you two dudes.  I really don't want a high $$$$ Strat.  I wouldn't mind having one but would rather have a $600 Mex Strat or Gretsch and a new PA setup.  

• Like 1

Another point against, which might not matter to you:  I used to be a maple neck guy on Fenders, until I built a guitar with a rosewood neck.  I doubt I'll go back, unless I'm building an arsenal, and that's not any day soon. 

The thing is, what I perceive to be true is not consistent with what others might say.  I think maple necks can feel "sticky" because of the finish applied to the fretboard, whereas rosewood is usually unfinished.  I also perceive maple to be a bit "brighter" sounding.  One thing my setup guy tells me is that it's really dicey trying to refret a maple fretboard, because of the varish/poly/whatever.  

• Like 1

Another point against, which might not matter to you:  I used to be a maple neck guy on Fenders, until I built a guitar with a rosewood neck.  I doubt I'll go back, unless I'm building an arsenal, and that's not any day soon. 

The thing is, what I perceive to be true is not consistent with what others might say.  I think maple necks can feel "sticky" because of the finish applied to the fretboard, whereas rosewood is usually unfinished.  I also perceive maple to be a bit "brighter" sounding.  One thing my setup guy tells me is that it's really dicey trying to refret a maple fretboard, because of the varish/poly/whatever.  

Pretty sure I’ve said this before but mine have the varnish removed and carnuba wax applied to seal. Feels like unfinished but doesnt warp. Also keeps the maple clarity but removes some of the brightness edge. My guy did that, planed the whole thing true, put big frets on, leveled them true. Done that on several. Before this I did not know guitars could play this well. The guy really is a guitar whisperer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hullabelew said:

I've never played a compound radius before.  Thoughts?

I had an elite Telecaster for a week or so.  Ended up sending it back to Sweetwater because I hated the noiseless pickups.

The compound-radius neck, on the other hand, was probably the best-feeling and best-playing neck of any guitar I've ever owned.  

• Like 2